• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

Jaroof

well put in my order for the new uyama. hope it comes in a timely fashion compared to last time

Same. Though, it will probably take another week or so to arrive, since it's shipping from Japan. ;_;

Wonder if Uyama will ever surpass or make another song on the same level as Stratus. That song is perfect.

cordy

Banned
Can't go wrong with a bit of Kenichiro Nishihara.
Nebulosa
Step Firmly, Slowly (One of my all-time favorite songs)

Uayama Hiroto is also a given.
Didn't link any songs by him, because the majority of his stuff is gold. If you need any recs, just ask!

Hidetake Takayama is cool, too.
Check out this puke!

And for the reeeeaaal laid back stuff, try this album by DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo.
Sun is Shining

Anyone else have any other artists to throw in, feel free!

Wow...these are amazing, THANKS!! Heavily appreciate it!!

And yes any and every song, album, whatever you can provide, references will do. Any links you want to give I'll take. This sounds amazing.

Jaroof

Wow...these are amazing, THANKS!! Heavily appreciate it!!

And yes any and every song, album, whatever you can provide, references will do. Any links you want to give I'll take. This sounds amazing.

Like I said, make sure to check out everything by Uyama.

There were also some songs where he was featured on Nujabes' collections and whatnot, so you may have heard them.

Haruka Nakamura feat. Uyama Hiroto - Faure (one of the best)

Haruka Nakamura feat. Uyama Hiroto - Sunset Line (bit of a slow start, but halfway through, it shines)

Uyama Hiroto - Monochrome Garden (rare track)

Those are a few tracks you might not have heard.

Somebody help me out! I know some of you know more Japanese jazzy stuff than me. Chillhop, anything? ;)

cordy

Banned
Like I said, make sure to check out everything by Uyama.

There were also some songs where he was featured on Nujabes' collections and whatnot, so you may have heard them.

Haruka Nakamura feat. Uyama Hiroto - Faure (one of the best)

Haruka Nakamura feat. Uyama Hiroto - Sunset Line (bit of a slow start, but halfway through, it shines)

Uyama Hiroto - Monochrome Garden (rare track)

Those are a few tracks you might not have heard.

Somebody help me out! I know some of you know more Japanese jazzy stuff than me. Chillhop, anything? ;)

Perfect, thanks!!!

Absolutely love these!

Our new compilation is out now, hope you guys dig it.
Name your price download on Bandcamp as always for the Essentials.
We also have a limited edition vinyl for this one, and feel free to add some tracks to your Spotify playlists! Cheers ♥

Ps. we also have a Discord server which is pretty active, would love to see you all in there.

So my wife pretty much just listens to classical and jazz, but I played this for her and she loves it. This is a great mix of tracks.

M52B28

Banned
Knowing the enthusiasm you all put behind the search for this music, I blindly bought Brocratic's 'Replaced'.

I'm so happy that I made this purchase. There's a smooth and classy feel to it, but it feels fresh. It also reminds me, in some spots, of Vangelis, but I'll leave that for open interpretation.

Thanks for the good music recommendations.

M52B28

Banned
Ahhhhhhhhh, oh my god.

My phone has a broken earphone jack, but I will try my hardest to listen to it.

It's also great that he has released this album digitally.

Edit: Okay, so far, so beautiful. There's an older Japanese American fella that I introduced Uyama to and I'm definitely sharing this. This is so beautiful.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
All tracks are streamable for me, awesome stuff. Its the release day in Japan already now, though.
Yeah it went live right after I posted. Didn't even know the whole thing would be available digitally. Absolutely amazing. Will buy it as soon as I get home.

Jaroof

got my email about it shipping. Gonna be super nice. Wouldve been nice to know that you can digitally buy it this time though

Huh. Wonder why he had a change of heart on the whole digital vs. physical thing.
Oh well. I'll hold out for my physical copy. Can't wait!

IrishNinja

Album sounds dope, but the digital version is $19 on bandcamp. Jeez.

haha yeah it's an ass price, but then again dude only wanted physical last time & skipped vinyl...so its safe to say this japanese scene is about as on point as most gaming devs out there, heh

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay fam, this new Uyama Hiroto got me feeling a certain way.

To me, it might just be his best album yet. It's progressive while at the same time still capturing the essence of Uyama Hiroto. The instrumentation, specifically the use of horns is amazing. The pace and construction of the album is nearly flawless. And best of all, which I often find as an issue with albums in the genre, nothing feels like filler.

But what really has me feeling a certain way is that I can feel Nujabes in this music. It's really weird, but it feels like this man has the spirit of Nujabes in him when he created these songs. And goddamn it's amazing.

Honestly, I don't want to hype this up too much, but in my opinion this is an amazing album after 7 listens or so. This year has been an amazing year for music but this is my Album of the Year, easily.

Stand Out Tracks:

Taiko
Skipper
Waltz For Real World
South Side
Route 16

Fjordson

This came out in April, but I just discovered it. Some really nice beats (and a must listen for any Cowboy Bebop fans).

a2084495188_10.jpg

https://rootsofsocietyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/waltz-2-ganymede

yea got my CD today and gave it a listen. Track 7 & 8 are definitely out there on the freeform side and kinda weren't my taste but everything else was really good. I wanna say that the first half was better to me compared to the 2nd half but i have to give it a couple more listens before I'm sure

Jaroof

Okay fam, this new Uyama Hiroto got me feeling a certain way.

To me, it might just be his best album yet. It's progressive while at the same time still capturing the essence of Uyama Hiroto. The instrumentation, specifically the use of horns is amazing. The pace and construction of the album is nearly flawless. And best of all, which I often find as an issue with albums in the genre, nothing feels like filler.

But what really has me feeling a certain way is that I can feel Nujabes in this music. It's really weird, but it feels like this man has the spirit of Nujabes in him when he created these songs. And goddamn it's amazing.

Honestly, I don't want to hype this up too much, but in my opinion this is an amazing album after 7 listens or so. This year has been an amazing year for music but this is my Album of the Year, easily.

Stand Out Tracks:

Taiko
Skipper
Waltz For Real World
South Side
Route 16

Ohh man. I'm already hyped to hear this. This sent my hype through the roof! I can't wait for my copy to get here!

Edit: Got it!
Man, I reeeaaally like that bonus track, Spin the Truth.

Cedric

What are the essential jazz rap albums (not instrumentals)? I'm trying to build a decent playlist of jazzy rap albums to chill to when I do my homework, reading, cooking etc. Right now I have:

Reachin' - Digable Planets
Blowout Comb - Digable Planets
Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Beats, Rhyme & Life - A Tribe Called Quest
93 til Infinity - Souls of Mischief
Bizarre Ride 2 tha Pharcyde - The Pharcyde
Splattitorium - The Pharcyde
Fantastic Vol 2 - Slum Village
Enta Da Stage - Black Moon
Uptown Saturday Night - Camp Lo

The last two albums are a bit too hardcore for my playlist, but the beats are good. I also have pretty much all Nujabes & Uyama Hiroto tracks with featured rappers.

IrishNinja

that's a great start to such a list, and i'll have more to add later, but....as for Tribe, The Love Movement > Beats, Rhymes & Life, i think

Top Bottom