• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Perfect Dark is in a rough state

Dr.brain64

xbox-phil-spencer.gif

Should have never announced it.

The fanbase for PD is small enough as it is, and giving them the slightest bit of hope just to potentially kill it or release a bad video game just sucks the air out of the room.

Fans of Timesplitters, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark can’t catch a break.

“The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products,” - Steve Jobs 1995
The complete interview is still fire in 2024

Rest peacefully Steve, you'll never stop being right

Dazraell

Well yeah, it's pretty obvious to figure out the project is struggling, considering how long this was in development and radio silence from the developer

Alan Wake

I never understood this at all. They started a brand new studio to go make a reboot of a game like Perfect Dark...? I had expected a completely new IP.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I never understood this at all. They started a brand new studio to go make a reboot of a game like Perfect Dark...? I had expected a completely new IP.
OG Perfect Dark was fucking awesome though.

Perfect IP to bring back from the dead, if you know what you are doing. Which obviously these clowns do not.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can totally imagine that it is after the last couple of years.

And, Phil has vanished after taking a carpet bomb diorhea shit shine across Xboxs gaming studios and business 😆

What happens when you do not have passionate vision holders with specific idea and story they want to tell. You flounder for years. Bioware knows this well too.

Kojima or Dan Vávra or Tim Cain do not have these problems.
This is the crisis of not just gaming, but the entire creative arts field, including movies, TV, books, comics, etc.
None of the major corporations involved in interested in creating art, they all just want to create “content”, they would be really happy if they could just release remasters and remakes of past games for ever and pump them out every year, to keep the content flowing. Don’t laugh but in 10 years SE will be making FFVII remake of the remake.

Dr.Morris79

Meanwhile, AAA studios with millions of dollars to back them after years of development: "we are not even sure of what we are doing! ha ha!"
Is it any surprise when they've been hiring activists by the droves and have weird DEI standards

Hell, I bet half the fuckers don't even want to work :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If MS doesn't turn it around quickly (Which doesn't seem possible as it's too far indoctrinated) then we'll be seeing another Disney type calamity. Infact, we already are.. 🤷‍♂️

The writings on the wall.

Three

I think the idea at the time was to just bolster first party by creating a 'AAAA' studio to rival ND and Santa Monica Studio. They didn't even know they would be doing a Perfect Dark when they were founded. For years they had no idea what to even work on and I think they latched the PD IP onto the studio after gameplay ideas rather than look at perfect dark and say lets make the next iteration of that.

EDMIX

I'm very pro-developer, but it is pretty wild an entire studio can be paid for the past 4 years and they still have not decided whether it is a 1st or 3rd person game
If true, that sounds extremely worrisome.

The hell going on there?

That is like, an early design type thing, not 4 years into development type thing.

Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

The hell going on there?

That is like, an early design type thing, not 4 years into development type thing.

Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen
Or Xbox fucked up+ COVID. When Xbox executives got permission from Microsoft to spend money again after the Xbox One alunch failure they tried to poach good people from other studios with big promises. Then reality had to happen and Xbox changed their plans. Now because they have talked too soon we know of a game that maybe never existed. And if the rumors of a next gen console AND handleld are true, then this game will mabye move to one of those new devices. Hard situation for all involved.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I think it's fair to say that the whole industry in the West is going through a competence crisis from top to bottom. Of course, nobody wants to open that can of worms because they know where that conversation leads. It's better to blame capitalism, AAA, or some other straw man.

The same could be said about a few PS studios that have not produced anything in 4-5 years, which is fucking outrageous. But I'm sure they don't miss yoga sessions and Friday brunch.
It's due to big-tech colonisation. The explosion of gaming as an entertainment medium during the last generation brought in a cavalcade of middle-class metropolitan sorts who would never have been seen dead working in video games twenty years ago. Once they saw the ground was rich in resources and there was money to be made, they moved in, displaced the natives and told everyone they were going to civilize these savage lands. Just like all colonisers, they had no understanding of the actual ecosystem they were invading or how and why it had flourished in the first place. Instead, they started intensive operations to extract all the valuable assets, destroying the ecosystem in the process, and brought in armies of missionaries to preach to and convert all the godless natives to their creed.

Once they've made all the money and prestige they can, they'll piss off back to where they came from and leave the natives to rebuild from their mess.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If you have to repeat "in a very" 2 times in your title i guess the situation is really in a very rough state.

MS spent the best part of 2 decades buying studios with zero internal talent themselves, ripping these studios apart.

And western news agencies are like 'MS are so cool and woke, they're stepping out of the hardware race to make games more inclusive and leaving it to old school Japanese studios'.

BbMajor7th

Gold Member

The hell going on there?
My guess is a clique of overpowered middle-management sorts brought in to 'drive efficiencies', 'breakdown down silos' and 'supercharge ways of working', have dragged ordinary staff away from their desks to attend training sessions and seminars about new tools, processes, working groups, and all the usual shit. These new ways of working only serve to frustrate the process, get in the way of doing decent work, and leave everyone feeling demotivated and disinterested. Productivity falls through the floor, but nobody notices because they're all too busy listening to some director-level Karen give another 60-slide deck on 'creativity highways', 'turn-key ideation' or some other wanky bollocks that makes the average person's toes curl.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Doesn’t surprise me. Microsoft just seems to really not have clue what to do with its studios.

343 seems to be a shit show,

Initiative clearly is,

Ninja theory’s whole thing was making aaa indies, but their project has bloated to Aaa, whilst effectively still making an 8hr walking sim.

Mate of mine from the coalition said things were a mess there too. He about 6 months ago, with several others in quick succession.

Tango were competent and quick and they scrapped them.

The chaps making forza and halo seem good. Rare do well with sea of thieves but their other long in development game seems to be suffering from even more dire problems of direction than perfect dark.

Heard similar things about Fable, then they did a great trailer. I suggest waiting till June 9th if we hear nothing then you can put some weight behind his word's.

Back in late 2022..

“We’re working on the iconic Perfect Dark game and the project is going extremely well,” Rogers said today

Crystal Dynamics

Who you gonna believe? the developer or Grubb?

Astray

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My guess is a clique of overpowered middle-management sorts brought in to drive 'efficiencies', 'breakdown down silos' and 'supercharge ways of working', have dragged ordinary staff away from their desks to attend training sessions and seminars about new tools, processes, working groups, and all the usual shit. These new ways of working only serve to frustrate the process, get in the way of doing decent work, and leave everyone feeling demotivated and disinterested. Productivity falls through the floor, but nobody notices because they're all too busy listening to some director-level Karen give another 60-slide deck on 'creativity highways', 'turn-key ideation' or some other wanky bollocks that makes the average person's toes curl.
I wish I could disagree with you and mock you for how implausible you sound… I really really really do…

:(

I cannot though… and being US corpo culture it comes together with fake cheerfulness and excitement (expected by the presenters and attendees).

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
I wish I could disagree with you and mock you for how implausible you sound… I really really really do…

:(

I cannot though… and being US corpo culture it comes together with fake cheerfulness and excitement (expected by the presenters and attendees).
Absolutely this - everybody is so enthusiastic and energized by all these new initiatives and all the possibilities they're going to open up. It's like some kind of mad cult.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This wouldn't surprise me, Xbox as a software development organisation have a culture of failure. They have blown their load by teasing all these games far before they are ready to be known in the public domain and now they either have to shovel money into something that may ultimately be underwhelming or cancel it and risk pissing off their fans.

There doesn't seem to be any executive level accountability within this wing of Microsoft, people fail upwards and they are quick to just dissolve studios that 'fail' and to make it worse, the goalposts around what is viewed as a success or failure are moved and seemingly not communicated to people internally. This crap can filter down to dev teams, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Their most critically acclaimed game of recent years was probably skunk-works project started by staff that just wanted to make something cool, MS either didn't know what they had or didn't care, so they shadow dropped it and sent it to die. They lapped up the critical acclaim as if it was their executive vision, but that was clearly doublespeak because they subsequently just closed the studio.

hinch7

If they can't even decide what game they want it to be, throw it in the bin until they have a proper creative vision.

And putting CD on this is as tone deaf as them putting Playground Games on Fable. Clueless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom