• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] If Microsoft really IS bringing Steam, Epic Game Store, etc. to Xbox consoles, it needs to answer these big questions

Danknugz

it's really annoying how in PC gamepass you have access to a lot of EA titles but none of them implemented achievements. same for ubi soft titles.

It amazes me how MS will entertain every idea in the book but wont just invest in their gaming studios to produce high quality games. How about stop the 18 month contract which has already been blamed for ruining two of your biggest franchises?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Oh no!.........

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This is what bugs me about the Xbox community.

One day they're saying hardware sales/console sales don't matter, but when there's a rumor of a new Xbox console, they believe it's going to be a big game changer.

Xbox One X
Xbox Series consoles
Xbox Streaming device

They're going to hype up sales in the first year and then the narrative is going to change again.

What i said probably won't happen. I think ms would still allow steam without any financial compensation. They would make money through their own published games on steam. Asus, hp, Dell, all provide PC hardware to game on. Yet none of those companies receive a dime from game sales.

Microsoft would be like an Asus or Lenovo. Providing Xbox PCs without any financial compensation.

Roxkis_ii

Thinking about it, they might as well just throw windows on Xbox, and add a big picture mode to Windows like Steam when a controller is detected. My only reluctance at the idea is how Microsoft will try to find a way to make Windows users pay some type of subscription, which would turn me into a Linux user.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ding ding ding. You just answered your own question.

That's exactly what they are going to do.
It benefits them if they can manage to save their online store. A 20-30% profit margin for owing a store isn’t something to leave on the table. Just because they could support pc and Xbox games doesn’t mean you will install steam independently outside windows store.

Makes sense if the let third party constructors make consoles/PC and give them a new Xbox OS where you can use Xbox and Windows or an hybrid

I also think the "forward compatibility" plans are in accords to this strategy. They're probably working on an emulator/emulation layer for OG Xbox & 360 for Windows so that console owners can access their games through the emulator on the new devices. For XBO & Series games, they might just give them free versions to download from the Windows Store, unless the game doesn't have an entry there. So I guess the emulator efforts would have to extend to those platforms as well.

A KingThrash video made suggestion that MS could also be using the "forward compatibility" plan to make an emulator to bring older games to Nintendo and Sony consoles; they'd just compile a fork of it for the specific game and include it in the digital package. That way you could get stuff like the classic Gears games on PS5 or Viva Pinata & Perfect Dark Zero on Switch 2. That way they wouldn't have to develop specific ports for each game to non-PC platforms each and every time. They'd still have to make customizations for system-specific features though like Trophy support, though.

REDRZA MWS

If Xbox going forward is a cheap HTPC that I can access Steam from with a good UI I am interested in buying an Xbox for the first time in a long time. I just don’t see how it benefits MS unless they are selling hardware for a decent profit.
They’ll be getting a percentage off all those 3rd party storefronts, and most likely percentage of digital content.

Three

I also think the "forward compatibility" plans are in accords to this strategy. They're probably working on an emulator/emulation layer for OG Xbox & 360 for Windows so that console owners can access their games through the emulator on the new devices. For XBO & Series games, they might just give them free versions to download from the Windows Store, unless the game doesn't have an entry there. So I guess the emulator efforts would have to extend to those platforms as well.
I think the stealth xbox one version of Tomb raider definitive edition on the windows store is related to this.

Topher

Gold Member
If Xbox going forward is a cheap HTPC that I can access Steam from with a good UI I am interested in buying an Xbox for the first time in a long time. I just don’t see how it benefits MS unless they are selling hardware for a decent profit.

I'm thinking they might be going with a Steam Deck strategy. Xbox storefront will be up front and center with Game Pass being heavily promoted, but other stores can be installed separately. They are going to also have to make money on the hardware.

It benefits them if they can manage to save their online store. A 20-30% profit margin for owing a store isn’t something to leave on the table. Just because they could support pc and Xbox games doesn’t mean you will install steam independently outside windows store.

Their own store would still be there even if Xbox became a PC-style NUC gaming device running Windows with a gaming-ready console-like frontend (and option for a regular Windows desktop environment). Just now, there's be other store options available for users, too.

I think the stealth xbox one version of Tomb raider definitive edition on the windows store is related to this.

Interesting possibility, that.

diffusionx

Gold Member

One day they're saying hardware sales/console sales don't matter, but when there's a rumor of a new Xbox console, they believe it's going to be a big game changer.

Xbox One X
Xbox Series consoles
Xbox Streaming device

They're going to hype up sales in the first year and then the narrative is going to change again.
This is the sort of thing I said in another thread. Like why are Xbox fans doing this to themselves. If you want a platform that can run all this shit, one exists. You can buy it RIGHT NOW and put all this on it. But no. Instead you twist yourself in knots doing divinations on what Phil Spencer has on his shelf and drive yourself insane talking about this junk.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is the sort of thing I said in another thread. Like why are Xbox fans doing this to themselves. If you want a platform that can run all this shit, one exists. You can buy it RIGHT NOW and put all this on it. But no. Instead you twist yourself in knots doing divinations on what Phil Spencer has on his shelf and drive yourself insane talking about this junk.
I have almost 700 digital Xbox games. Calculate the cost of that. Also I want the convenience of a console system UI. Its not like its some inexplicable mystery why some people are interested in this.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
it already is basically from a software perspective it's running a modified windows OS.

It’s still not possible. Games won’d just run natively or something, these games are not optimised for the Series X. These are all pc versions, which will automatically be the worst versions on Xbox.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Xbox One X
Xbox Series consoles
Xbox Streaming device

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

What does anything you've posted have to do with this topic? It's speculation on Steam on Xbox, not sales or a new generation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I haven’t started my Xbox since I built my living room PC.
So the fix is easy, they should bury the traditional console and start selling a prebuilt Xbox-branded PC instead. Boot into a new Xbox launcher with a good big screen mode and have app swapping with the triggers to go between launchers. Could have a touchpad on the controller for rare scenarios when a mouse is needed. And on-screen keyboard or sell a Xbox branded keyboard.

In short, turn Xbox into a living room PC.

I don’t play online so no idea if PC gaming has been completely broken all this time.

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

If Microsoft is releasing a Microsoft branded gaming pc that require Xbox live to play online, it's DOA. Why would anyone buy that when you could just by a regular pc?
Because there’s plenty of people who loves convenience of consoles don’t want to deal with this crap called Windows where there’s always something to configure or tinker.
Guess why Steamdeck is so popular?
I also never understood „free online” argument. If gaming is your favourite leisure activity, how come 10 quid per month makes any difference? I spent this on my lunch every day…

tusharngf

Because there’s plenty of people who loves convenience of consoles don’t want to deal with this crap called Windows where there’s always something to configure or tinker.
Guess why Steamdeck is so popular?
I also never understood „free online” argument. If gaming is your favourite leisure activity, how come 10 quid per month makes any difference? I spent this on my lunch every day…
No one gives a damn about tinkering its not rocket science. PC is an easy platform compared to what it was. No one going to pay for online when its free from day 1 on PC.

It amazes me how MS will entertain every idea in the book but wont just invest in their gaming studios to produce high quality games. How about stop the 18 month contract which has already been blamed for ruining two of your biggest franchises?
They've been investing in Xbox for 25 years and don't have much to show for it.
At some point you have to acknowledge defeat and move on.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They've been investing in Xbox for 25 years and don't have much to show for it.
At some point you have to acknowledge defeat and move on.

Really not true, it's a well recognized gaming brand, they have a massive group of talented studios, and even a very good hardware design team. If anything, one might argue this is exactly not the time to throw in the towel, after they've spent so much to get to this position. I won't say they don't have work to do and perhaps may need to change some strategies, but moving on might not be in thier best interests long term.

Of course no doubt some would say go software only, which wouldn't be earth shattering really, ms is a software company at heart. Just they really, really hate not controlling the distribution method and sharing revenue with others.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wait.....when did this rumour come around.

Is this a serious thing? Steam could be coming to Xbox?

I welcome that with open arms, that would be insane!

VitoNotVito

No one gives a damn about tinkering its not rocket science. PC is an easy platform compared to what it was. No one going to pay for online when its free from day 1 on PC.
We’re talking about a possibility of Steam on Xbox sweetheart, not on PC. Pay attention. Xbox owners already pay for online.

I never thought of this, but this is very interesting and I'd bet Sony's reaction would be pretty shit. Likely just stop releasing games on PC, or bring games to their own kind of storefront/launcher so it would make it difficult to get games on Xbox.
It would be pretty rationale of Sony to do whatever possible so that doesn't happen. And Sony almost surely will have their own PC storefront in next few years

anothertech

INCOMING: MS to announce subscription service that all Windows users must sub to in order to access online features ...

lololol

Last edited:

GHG

INCOMING: MS to announce subscription service that all Windows users must sub to in order to access online features ...

lololol

They've tried that before.

If they try it now then it could potentially be catastrophic for windows as a gaming platform considering how far Linux has come as a gaming platform compared to last time they pulled that stunt.

Jesus Jez is desperate. It says Phil wants Steam on Xbox.
Xbox lead Phil Spencer hinted in a recent interview that it wants to see PC storefronts, like Epic Games, Steam, itch.io, and GOG.com, available on Xbox, too.

Jez: Oh my God it's happening!!!!!
Happy Paul Rudd GIF by Saturday Night Live

A word of advice Jez: Don't think your wet dream will become a reality. Xbox = Dead windowscentral Man!

It's pathetic to see gimps like Jez just straight up lying when they DAMN well know its never, ever going to happen. Why be so loyal to a brand which is dying in front of our eyes? Has he no pride!?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Microsoft is really all over the place with Xbox. They can't figure out what to do and still playing that uphill battle with their console. They don't seem to focus on just one thing, it's why casuals all abbandon this platform. Nobody should trust them anymore with this.

skit_data

I'd love to see them go down this route, but I can't see how they would make it make sense from a profitability standpoint.

jm89

I say do it. Open it all up, makes sense for Xbox with how much they are floundering
How does it make sense?

Steam could end up canobolizing xbox store sales.

Once that happens what does that leave microsoft?

Answer: Full third party publisher

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I haven’t started my Xbox since I built my living room PC.
So the fix is easy, they should bury the traditional console and start selling a prebuilt Xbox-branded PC instead. Boot into a new Xbox launcher with a good big screen mode and have app swapping with the triggers to go between launchers. Could have a touchpad on the controller for rare scenarios when a mouse is needed. And on-screen keyboard or sell a Xbox branded keyboard.

In short, turn Xbox into a living room PC.

I don’t play online so no idea if PC gaming has been completely broken all this time.

Sadly 99% of anything competitive on pc has hackers now so they have ruined the integrity of those games for me.

Top Bottom