• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] If Microsoft really IS bringing Steam, Epic Game Store, etc. to Xbox consoles, it needs to answer these big questions

Three

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

What does anything you've posted have to do with this topic? It's speculation on Steam on Xbox, not sales or a new generation.
It's speculation on a new generation unless you think they're bringing third party stores to the consoles they've already took a loss on and established.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's speculation on a new generation unless you think they're bringing third party stores to the consoles they've already took a loss on and established.

If this is true and they're announcing some kind of steam integration this year, I doubt they sit on it for 2 years before implementing it.

I don't think full on Steam, as is, is capable of coming to fixed hardware platforms like consoles anyway, so if there's to be some kind of integration, it'll be an alternate kind of solution, either some kind of Steam Big Picture-like cloud integration or limit availability of Steam content on Xbox platforms, neither of which scenarios really requires a 2-3 year wait.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If this is true and they're announcing some kind of steam integration this year, I doubt they sit on it for 2 years before implementing it.

I don't think full on Steam, as is, is capable of coming to fixed hardware platforms like consoles anyway, so if there's to be some kind of integration, it'll be an alternate kind of solution, either some kind of Steam Big Picture-like cloud integration or limit availability of Steam content on Xbox platforms, neither of which scenarios really requires a 2-3 year wait.
I think they'll start with a handheld.

I think there's zero chance stores are coming to Series consoles. They'll have to start over and design for this from the start.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What does anything you've posted have to do with this topic? It's speculation on Steam on Xbox, not sales or a new generation.

It does because it's about the rumor that Microsoft's next-gen console (or hybrid PC) will have the Epic Game Store and Steam storefront.

Jez even speculates how it would be competitive with Sony's next-gen console. People are critical of Microsoft's plans but you ignore those comments. But as soon as I talk about Xbox fans hyping this up, you have an issue with it.

The thing is, I see a pattern.

DX12
The Cloud.
Full RDNA 2
Game Pass
Xbox Series S

Just to name a few.

The online Xbox community has a habit of hyping things up as a game changer. People need to learn to manage their expectations

Watch, if their next console (hardware) has these two storefronts, it's going to be treated as the biggest thing ever, and how Sony is going to have a hard time competing next generation.

Topher

Gold Member

I think there's zero chance stores are coming to Series consoles. They'll have to start over and design for this from the start.

I could see that. Gives Microsoft a chance to test the waters with such a device using low spec-ed, less expensive components. Or even partner with a company like Asus on it.

Three

It's not about the two year wait. Waiting that out isn't going to cause any issues for existing consoles since it isn't going to increase revenue there anyway, in fact it would likely hurt it as they can now buy from another store. This is about incentive to buy machines at a markup, that's according to the article as well. There is no reason for them to offer people who have already bought the xbox consoles the opportunity to use other stores. It would make no sense really. Your steam library through xcloud may make sense there.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's not about the two year wait. Waiting that out isn't going to cause any issues for existing consoles since it isn't going to increase revenue there anyway, in fact it would likely hurt it as they can now buy from another store. This is about incentive to buy machines at a markup, that's according to the article as well. There is no reason for them to offer people who have already bought the xbox consoles the opportunity to use other stores. It would make no sense really. Your steam library through xcloud may make sense there.

Even if they're not close to PS5's sales, they're not just gonna cut and abandon the current consoles, without a new generation releasing imminently. They still have to cater to the current install-base and try to maximize it, hence the other big rumors of the digital console.

Our resident HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has also seen / heard some tid bits about game pass being expanded, rather than contracted soon-ish, it doesn't sound like they (MS) are in any hurry to abandon the current customer-base.

I don' think the full-bore stores come either, but there might be an app like EA Play's integration.

It's something they could launch with a possible handheld but also benefit the console owners.

This June's gonna be an interesting look into the future.

Ev1L AuRoN

Without their cut in game sales, what would be left for Microsoft? They know that people vastly prefer steam, if steams becomes available on Xbox it's bye bye revenue, bye bye gamepass core (for online multiplayer)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don' think the full-bore stores come either, but there might be an app like EA Play's integration.

It's something they could launch with a possible handheld but also benefit the console owners.

Could be, will definitely be an interesting year. My theory is just that they need to make it as easy as possible for the stores to be on what they're putting out. Like, zero extra work. Steam exactly as is just works on it. Epic. GOG. Otherwise no one is going to invest manhours on custom app / storefronts for an experimental and niche userbase.

Without their cut in game sales, what would be left for Microsoft? They know that people vastly prefer steam, if steams becomes available on Xbox it's bye bye revenue, bye bye gamepass core (for online multiplayer)
If Xbox sales keep tanking, that stuff is gone anyway. It's a choice between less or nothing.

Ev1L AuRoN

Could be, will definitely be an interesting year. My theory is just that they need to make it as easy as possible for the stores to be on what they're putting out. Like, zero extra work. Steam exactly as is just works on it. Epic. GOG. Otherwise no one is going to invest manhours on custom app / storefronts for an experimental and niche userbase.

If Xbox sales keep tanking, that stuff is gone anyway. It's a choice between less or nothing.
1% of something is better than 100% of nothing... Microsoft loses money on each console sold, they need to recoup somehow.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Even if they're not close to PS5's sales, they're not just gonna cut and abandon the current consoles, without a new generation releasing imminently. They still have to cater to the current install-base and try to maximize it, hence the other big rumors of the digital console.

Our resident HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 has also seen / heard some tid bits about game pass being expanded, rather than contracted soon-ish, it doesn't sound like they (MS) are in any hurry to abandon the current customer-base.

So I havent talked to anyone who would know these things in about a month or so as its been a trying month for me but as of right now I still do expect them to expand perks to having Gamepass

I have seen people guess what they think but waiting for someone like Jez or Warren get the marching orders and "leak" it but if not bet we see it at their June show

I have a hard time believing Microsoft will release a handheld within the next year and then turn around and start their new console generation in 2026, which is rumored. Especially if Microsoft plans to have a hybrid console/handheld as their next-gen console. Releasing 2 handhelds within a year and a half or 2 years doesn't make sense to me

Three

We're talking about the ability to buy from different stores, not offering that to existing users and waiting 2 years wouldn't be abandoning. What incentive is there to do that with the consoles they've already taken a loss on? None really. You don't lose anything waiting 2 years selling on your own store only. You lose more if you offer it now and wait 2 years.

Adding the ability to stream from xcloud other game libraries like Geforce Now already does is different since you have to pay for a sub. Jez however is talking about selling hardware without subsides and allowing you to buy games on other stores and playing locally. This is new hardware sales related. He is probably totally wrong but that's how the article is framing it. About a new generation. Even mentions the next xbox. It's not about streaming from cloud or anything.

Last edited:

adamsapple

We're talking about the ability to buy from different stores, not offering that to existing users and waiting 2 years wouldn't be abandoning. What incentive is there to do that with the consoles they've already taken a loss on? None really. Adding the ability to stream from xcloud other game libraries like Geforce Now already does is different since you have to pay for a sub. Jez however is talking about selling hardware without subsides and allowing you to buy games on other stores and playing locally. This is new hardware sales related. He is probably totally wrong but that's how the article is framing it. About a new generation. Even mentions the next xbox. It's not about streaming from cloud or anything.

Think of it like Game Pass, they launched the service in 2017, well after PS4's sales dominance was established over Xbox One.

The service has, since then, been seamlessly rolled onto all future Xbox consoles.

So I havent talked to anyone who would know these things in about a month or so as its been a trying month for me but as of right now I still do expect them to expand perks to having Gamepass

I have seen people guess what they think but waiting for someone like Jez or Warren get the marching orders and "leak" it but if not bet we see it at their June show

Between the possibilities of what MS announces and a PS5 Pro, this summer showcase period is going to be the closest thing to an E3 of yore we've had.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have a hard time believing Microsoft will release a handheld within the next year and then turn around and start their new console generation in 2026, which is rumored. Especially if Microsoft plans to have a hybrid console/handheld as their next-gen console. Releasing 2 handhelds within a year and a half or 2 years doesn't make sense to me
I know nothing obviously, just guessing. But I assumed it will be a handheld sooner. Then a much more expensive "console" in 2-3 years. I didn't think it would be a hybrid console. They may also do a keystone cloud stick at some point. Who knows! I am excited to see what they're planning because it really could go in lots of directions.

Three

Think of it like Game Pass, they launched the service in 2017, well after PS4's sales dominance was established over Xbox One.

The service has, since then, been seamlessly rolled onto all future Xbox consoles.
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. How would allowing other stores be like introducing gamepass?

They did that exactly because they had poor software sales. They knew that they needed to monetise the playerbase who were mostly buying games elsewhere knowing that longterm this would likely hurt game sales overall but make 'xbox' more attractive in terms of engagement.

adamsapple

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. How would allowing other stores be like introducing gamepass?

Like I said, I don't think they're going to be able to bring Steam, full on, to console. I think it's going to be some kind of a limited integration app that can very well start now and continue to future console generations.

King Dazzar

For current gen S/X. Each time I think this through, I come around full circle and just think it'll either be a mess. Or a very, very limited version of existing PC stores libraries.

Three

Like I said, I don't think they're going to be able to bring Steam, full on, to console. I think it's going to be some kind of a limited integration app that can very well start now and continue to future console generations.
Well that's what the article seems to be saying even if you don't think it will be that and it frames it as something that will change the console model. It's obvious he thinks it's related to a new generation:

how will Xbox differentiate and drive interest in the next generation without the promise of exclusive games?

Microsoft has discussed internally with its teams that the next Xbox will represent the "biggest technological leap" in a generation so far
He talks about unsubsidised hardware with store choice, he talks about 'PC-like' and steam deck, he talks about repeating the 2013 reveal of xbox one. He's clearly framing this as a new gen where locally you can use any store. He isn't framing this as steam achievement integration or xcloud streaming perks in GP.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He talks about unsubsidised hardware with store choice, he talks about 'PC-like' and steam deck, he talks about repeating the 2013 reveal of xbox one. He's clearly framing this as a new gen where locally you can use any store. He isn't framing this as steam achievement integration or xcloud streaming perks in GP.
Yep. I think he's honestly been shockingly transparent about it.

Fredrik

I have almost 700 digital Xbox games. Calculate the cost of that. Also I want the convenience of a console system UI. Its not like its some inexplicable mystery why some people are interested in this.
Steam big picture mode is as simple as a console UI. I boot my PC into that. Only hint of what kind of box it actually is is a couple seconds of a Windows screen before Steam starts.

Problem for MS though. The current Xbox launcher does not feel like a console, so they need to tweak that before making this move. Plus they need to get the BC team to do XBS/XB1/360/Xbox emulators in the same quality the BC emulators they have on Series X. Once that’s done they can tie all your 700 games to the Microsoft account you use on PC and they can pull the plug on the original console.
Sadly 99% of anything competitive on pc has hackers now so they have ruined the integrity of those games for me.
Online gaming is huge on PC so I have trouble thinking it’s as bad as it sounds. All my PC buddies mostly play online, I don’t hear them complain and wish they had consoles instead.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
What is the fallacy lol? PC plus keep everything you bought sounds not so bad.

You can keep everything you bought, on Xbox. I haven't played an Xbox in five years but could buy a Series X and play the digital games I bought back then.

Like I said, sometimes we back the wrong horse. If you want a bunch of stuff you can't get on Xbox, it makes much more sense just to buy a platform that can get you that stuff, instead of port begging or in this case, store begging. Xbox owners seem to be in this constant loop of waiting and hoping and begging for Microsoft to give them what they want, instead of just buying a system that has those things. And with every passing year they get deeper in the hole.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
For current gen S/X. Each time I think this through, I come around full circle and just think it'll either be a mess. Or a very, very limited version of existing PC stores libraries.

I think it will be a Windows PC with Xbox console capabilities running in a separate space (via hypervisor). Microsoft loves one-size fits all solutions. Echoing others here, I would like to see is a modified version of Windows that gives offers a "big picture mode" out of the box much like Steam Deck, but also like Asus Rog where games installed from other stores, as well as Xbox console games, are integrated into that single UI. This would help maintain the appeal of the device as a living room console while incorporating PC gaming at the same time.

That means the hardware will be sold for profit. I can easily see this costing $999. Some console gamers may balk at that, but I think plenty of PC gamers would jump at a gaming PC at that price and form factor. Between that and a handheld device, I think they very well could have a compelling offering in gaming hardware.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Steam big picture mode is as simple as a console UI. I boot my PC into that. Only hint of what kind of box it actually is is a couple seconds of a Windows screen before Steam starts.

Problem for MS though. The current Xbox launcher does not feel like a console, so they need to tweak that before making this move. Plus they need to get the BC team to do XBS/XB1/360/Xbox emulators in the same quality the BC emulators they have on Series X. Once that’s done they can tie all your 700 games to the Microsoft account you use on PC and they can pull the plug on the original console.

Online gaming is huge on PC so I have trouble thinking it’s as bad as it sounds. All my PC buddies mostly play online, I don’t hear them complain and wish they had consoles instead.
Yep. If you read that interview I just posted above, he talks about hardware and software. Sounds like they will make a much improved windows app that can be used like a console exactly like you're describing. At that point, any PC you buy can be used in this way. Doesn't have to be the one they push.

I actually really like the Xbox hardware this gen. If they have a slim form factor prebuilt PC that isn't a huge ripoff, I'm definitely considering it. But if it's not worth it, can just get a different PC.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think it will be a Windows PC with Xbox console capabilities running in a separate space (via hypervisor). Microsoft loves one-size fits all solutions. Echoing others here, I would like to see is a modified version of Windows that gives offers a "big picture mode" out of the box much like Steam Deck, but also like Asus Rog where games installed from other stores, as well as Xbox console games, are integrated into that single UI. This would help maintain the appeal of the device as a living room console while incorporating PC gaming at the same time.

That means the hardware will be sold for profit. I can easily see this costing $999. Some console gamers may balk at that, but I think plenty of PC gamers would jump at a gaming PC at that price and form factor. Between that and a handheld device, I think they very well could have a compelling offering in gaming hardware.
Personally I think this is their best way forward, current model isn't working

Fredrik

Like I said, sometimes we back the wrong horse. If you want a bunch of stuff you can't get on Xbox, it makes much more sense just to buy a platform that can get you that stuff, instead of port begging or in this case, store begging. Xbox owners seem to be in this constant loop of waiting and hoping and begging for Microsoft to give them what they want, instead of just buying a system that has those things. And with every passing year they get deeper in the hole.
Agreed. I did that, I’m just glad I only bought 1 game on Series X, the rest I’ve played has been through Gamepass. I’ve been playing all their big games on PC for awhile slready but jumped over to PC for real in March with a PC for the living room as well.

The downsides:
1. It can sometimes ramp up the graphics card fans, I use a silent bios but I guess it’s sometimes pushed too far, recently happened on No rest for the Wicked. For other games it has been more silent than the PS5 though.
2. I sometimes need to use mouse and keyboard. I bought a wireless keyboard with a touchpad to deal with that.
3. Going between launchers is annoying. I tried Playnite to sync up everything but it feels janky compared to Steam.
4. …?? .. hmm, nope can’t think of anything else

Topher

Gold Member
Personally I think this is their best way forward, current model isn't working

Yeah, I agree. Phil Spencer has said as much. Remember last year when he said Microsoft are never going to be able to "outconsole" Sony or Nintendo? Recently said they need to figure out how to expand and bring in more customers. Put that together with his comments on multiple stores and handhelds. Just can't imagine he's putting in the time to lay all that groundwork just to release Xbox Series X2 and fall into the same trap yet again.

As I said in the initial post of this thread, Phil Spencer has a hell of a lot of hype to live up to here.

Agreed. I did that, I’m just glad I only bought 1 game on Series X, the rest I’ve played has been through Gamepass. I’ve been playing all their big games on PC for awhile slready but jumped over to PC for real in March with a PC for the living room as well.

The downsides:
1. It can sometimes ramp up the graphics card fans, I use a silent bios but I guess it’s sometimes pushed too far, recently happened on No rest for the Wicked. For other games it has been more silent than the PS5 though.
2. I sometimes need to use mouse and keyboard. I bought a wireless keyboard with a touchpad to deal with that.
3. Going between launchers is annoying. I tried Playnite to sync up everything but it feels janky compared to Steam.
4. …?? .. hmm, nope can’t think of anything else

I liked playnite a lot but I agree steam big picture is better. The good thing is pretty much everyone came back to steam so you can pretty much just use steam big picture and not missed much except for the few things epic locks up.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, I agree. Phil Spencer has said as much. Remember last year when he said Microsoft are never going to be able to "outconsole" Sony or Nintendo? Recently said they need to figure out how to expand and bring in more customers. Put that together with his comments on multiple stores and handhelds. Just can't imagine he's putting in the time to lay all that groundwork just to release Xbox Series X2 and fall into the same trap yet again.

As I said in the initial post of this thread, Phil Spencer has a hell of a lot of hype to live up to here.
Yeah that was like almost a year ago to the day somewhere around this time

Aligns with the statements he no longer wanted to go head to head with Sony sales wise.

I will add I was told early on (maybe 2 years ago?) that MS was indeed looking at some form of a pro console

Makes me kind of wonder if even back then they got word Sony was moving forward with the PS5 Pro and MS didn't want to go head to head even then (conjecture on my part)

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah that was like almost a year ago to the day somewhere around this time

Aligns with the statements he no longer wanted to go head to head with Sony sales wise.

I will add I was told early on (maybe 2 years ago?) that MS was indeed looking at some form of a pro console

Makes me kind of wonder if even back then they got word Sony was moving forward with the PS5 Pro and MS didn't want to go head to head even then (conjecture on my part)

I'm guessing that since the time you were told that, Mr. Spencer had his revelation about Xbox consoles. This hasn't been a good gen for Phil. He looks like he has aged 10 years since 2020. Understandable for a guy in his position. He clearly had fairly large expectations for this gen and it just hasn't panned out that way.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I think we're pretty much aligned in our thoughts. But where I struggle. Is them doing it with current gen. Not that the hardware wouldn't be capable. But that it would be such a major overhaul to the UI. For now I just get so many mixed messages from MS/Xbox. And what they draw up today, will be changed tomorrow.

I do like the idea of a Xbox/Steam box. But at the same time I can see MS ruining it or only doing it half arsed.... I dunno man. I guess we'll see...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How does it make sense?

Steam could end up canobolizing xbox store sales.

Once that happens what does that leave microsoft?

Answer: Full third party publisher

Why would I give a poop about microsofts store sales? I would use xbox for gamepass and steam if available. A major win for me.

King Dazzar

I've just checked my crystal ball and I predict a handheld with all the UI overhaul and steam etc included gets released next. Then in 2026 they release a next gen console based on the handhelds new UI and any fixes for lessons learnt...

Last edited:

Fredrik

I liked playnite a lot but I agree steam big picture is better. The good thing is pretty much everyone came back to steam so you can pretty much just use steam big picture and not missed much except for the few things epic locks up.
I have games on Epic, Gamepass, GOG, that I don’t want to pay extra for, so I don’t feel like Steam covers it all tbh.
Playnite is great in theory but even just going around in the menu was odd with strange button mapping on controllers and just odd behaviour. Might be possible to get used to it I guess.

I would love if MS did some kind of 360 Blades UI for PC, with other launcher content on each blade, flipping through them with the triggers. It’s never gonna happen of course but one can dream!

I have games on Epic, Gamepass, GOG, that I don’t want to pay extra for, so I don’t feel like Steam covers it all tbh.
Playnite is great in theory but even just going around in the menu was odd with strange button mapping on controllers and just odd behaviour. Might be possible to get used to it I guess.

I would love if MS did some kind of 360 Blades UI for PC, with other launcher content on each blade, flipping through them with the triggers. It’s never gonna happen of course but one can dream!

Well I mean Steam has those games as well is what I'm saying. So if someone was new to PC gaming they could just only buy from steam and not miss much. If you already have your games everywhere then yea you're kind of screwed. I just abandoned all my games on Epic and stopped using GP honestly. I wanted a console like experience and steam big picture was delivering on that front for the most part.

The only issue I had with Playnite is that occasionally I would be scrolling down my games and it would randomly jump back up two rows or something like that. I found another guy on reddit who had the same issue but was never able to fix it permanently. Just rebooting to get it to stop temporarily.

Fredrik

He looks like he has aged 10 years since 2020.
To be fair that happens to most of us from mid 40s to mid 50s, I’ve been cosplaying Gandalf the gray for quite some time now heh
But I’m currently fighting that by running and working out 4+ days per week! Not sure if it works yet but makes me happier at least 👍

Mobilemofo

Someone that wants a PC can already get one. Someone that wants a console probably wants a console, not a PC. It just seems like a lose-lose situation for all parties involved.
Exactly. I have been console gaming for 25 years. Had pc 's previously. No interest in having another.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Depends on the games I guess once I tend to play cod/fortnite etc are riddled with them now

Someone that wants a PC can already get one. Someone that wants a console probably wants a console, not a PC. It just seems like a lose-lose situation for all parties involved.

This is the real issue. I'm not saying "no one wants this" but the amount of people on a grand scale who want something like this can't possibly be worth it.

Depends on the games I guess once I tend to play cod/fortnite etc are riddled with them now

Yep Rainbow six siege is flooded with them. Which is a shame because while the game is ok on console you can tell it's made for PC with mouse and keyboard and it feels amazing on there.

Last edited:
Really not true, it's a well recognized gaming brand

2Wc.gif

Depends on what part of the world you're in. America? Yes. UK? Maybe.

Everywhere else? It's either a meme or..

who.gif

How does it make sense?

Steam could end up canobolizing xbox store sales.

Once that happens what does that leave microsoft?

Answer: Full third party publisher

Well they're going that way anyhow, so it doesn't matter much if Steam would cannibalize Xbox Store sales. At least Microsoft would make enough profit on each unit sold to offset a portion of that, and being a multiplat publisher on PlayStation & Nintendo alongside PC & mobile would make up for any lost profits from 30% cuts on the store because...

...well, honestly, software sales on Xbox are kinda ass nowadays. They won't be missing much.

Jez is still in denial stage I see...

But it doesn't matter how much he rejects the truth: Xbox is dead....

An OEM PC with Xbox name written on it is not a console and it's not an Xbox

Last edited:
No one gives a damn about tinkering its not rocket science. PC is an easy platform compared to what it was. No one going to pay for online when its free from day 1 on PC.

Yeah some people are REALLY over-selling the amount of work it takes for a game to run on PC these days. It's like you have to go into BIOS menus and set up IRQ channels anymore, like in the DOS days. And even if a game crashes, it won't crash your entire computer along with it.

Worst I've had is wired controller disconnects not getting registered with the USB hub driver, which would force me to restart. But that was on laptop, and thankfully doesn't happen anymore.

RoboCain

If Xbox going forward is a cheap HTPC that I can access Steam from with a good UI I am interested in buying an Xbox for the first time in a long time. I just don’t see how it benefits MS unless they are selling hardware for a decent profit.
If they were smart, they would just chill and let the money roll in from selling Xbox branded HTPCs.

But from past experience, they will just half-ass a new platform waiting for the user base to get big so they call pull another corporative scheme to get rich fast.

RoboCain

To be honest, I'd be more concerned about their plans for the current Xbox platform and your existent library.

Will there be a guarantee for that content still being available in next 5, 10, or 20 years? Are they willing to release the emulation tool that Xbox uses on PC (and risking other people cracking the content that built the Xbox brand)?

Do you think the success of the Steam Deck running Proton was the first blow against Windows' reign in PC gaming and now MS is trying to regroup to fight in a single front?

If anything Xbox has always have been too advanced to the curve for their own sake. I can see everyone gaming in a open source single standard architecture and everyone just buying different form factors and brands in 50 years, but if I had to start my game library from scratch today, or if I'm told my current backlog will not be compatible with their newer devices, I'd not be buying from them ever again.

Top Bottom