• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden - 'XBO X preorders are ahead of expectations by a wide margin

watdaeff4

Have you been following him for the last year? He's basically been Microsoft's ideaman.

No. Just going off his post yesterday, frankly, so I was giving him benefit of the doubt.

Oh well. Just curious - right or wrong.....what does it matter? The Xbox one X isn't going to sell well overall. If the Pro makes up 20% of PS4 sales, it's not like the X1X is going to skyrocket.

I actually think MS didn't have high expectations.

Raide

Yeah, I suppose the downsampling would be fine, but my TV isn't even all that great. It's a $200 Amazon special (Toshiba 50" during BF a couple years ago). Blacks look pretty janky on it, even on Netflix via PS4 and on Blu-Rays.

Tough to know if you should just jump into 4k as a way to upgrade an older TV. Or just get a really damn good 1080p set.

pooptest

Tough to know if you should just jump into 4k as a way to upgrade an older TV. Or just get a really damn good 1080p set.

True. I'm really glad 4K TV's aren't as pricey as I was guessing they were going to be. It's all just the internal processor, really.

The initial 3D price increase for TV's was ridiculous. I was afraid 4K was going to go the same direction and be 2x+ the price of a nice 1080p set. At least it's affordable. No reason not to go 4K if you're ready to get a new TV.

watdaeff4

Aye, I didn't know it was 150 extra, that's just a dick move.

Yep. For all the talk of X1X being overpriced, the Minecraft box is way more overpriced IMHO.

Also, for all the sales war talk on here, I think the pricing of that console (the Minecraft one for clarification) is a sign MS knows they aren't going to "win" this generation at all. If they wanted to make any in-roads to the Sony marketshare domination (even in USA) they needed to price it at $250 or lower. They are just trying to maximize whatever profits they can get probably. Also why what few first-party games they have are going to be GaaS for the forseeable future.

So they didn't expect to sell out their pre-orders? I'm a little confused. How can it be a wide margin beyond if there are still pre-orders avail? Unless they plan to ship a metric ton of these at launch.

From here on out it will all be just smooth sailing.

But seriously. WiiU was sold out, too. No one has any idea what they expected to sell, and Jez Corden isn't some independent journalist. So let's wait for them NPS numbers, if we're lucky enough to get those for XOX' launch month.

Chobel

It likely is very limited. I don't think they have high expectations on this thing. They know the S will continue to sell more. This is there for those who want it.

If it is the only SKU available for pre-order till release, then it shouldn't be very limited unless they have some seriously low expectations for X1X.

jjonez18

Y'know. We as gaming enthusiasts care about the strangest things.

This tweet means Jack-all in the grand scheme of things lol.

America does not equal the world. It's been available for pre order for months.

Anyway, of course it's sold out. It would be more shocking if it hadn't.

Uh what? It went on pre-order yesterday, for the first time. Are you thinking about the SNES classic?

kpaadet

The Xbox One/(S) also sold very well out the gate, new tech usually sell well. Would be more interesting to see how it'll sell down the line, but we probably wouldn't know that either since MS stopped giving out hardware numbers.

Somnia

If it is the only SKU available for pre-order till release, then it shouldn't be very limited unless they have some seriously low expectations for X1X.

Or they just won't take pre-orders on the base unit which will be what hits retail stores.

I forget who tweeted it, but they said the scorpio edition will only go to pre-orders, they won't be shipping them to stores to sell off the shelf like the day one edition of xbox one. All retail units will just be the base X.

MilkyJoe

Yep. For all the talk of X1X being overpriced, the Minecraft box is way more overpriced IMHO.

Also, for all the sales war talk on here, I think the pricing of that console (the Minecraft one for clarification) is a sign MS knows they aren't going to "win" this generation at all. If they wanted to make any in-roads to the Sony marketshare domination (even in USA) they needed to price it at $250 or lower. They are just trying to maximize whatever profits they can get probably. Also why what few first-party games they have are going to be GaaS for the forseeable future.

I see a bunch of kids wanting it and parents being put in a shitty position. It's not like it's aimed at adults. 400... Fuck my old boots, sometimes I wonder about the reality these marketing people live in.

Well if the idea is to make X look desirable and a 'you better order yours now!' product, you wouldn't expect them to say it's behind expectations. And well, we really don't know what those expectations are.

Dlacy13g

No. Just going off his post yesterday, frankly, so I was giving him benefit of the doubt.

Oh well. Just curious - right or wrong.....what does it matter? The Xbox one X isn't going to sell well overall. If the Pro makes up 20% of PS4 sales, it's not like the X1X is going to skyrocket.

I actually think MS didn't have high expectations.

Well, anecdotal evidence shows the X1X is going to do pretty well in comparison to the PS4 Pro. Checking the U.S. Amazon Best Sellers of 2017 So Far today the X1X is ranked #63. PS4 Pro is #90. Thats looking at the whole year not just the current month so that says something.

akileese

Is the Minecraft box $250? I nabbed a Scorpio Edition this morning and when my co-worker went to check this afternoon Best Buy was sold out of preorders.

watdaeff4

I see a bunch of kids wanting it and parents being put in a shitty position. It's not like it's aimed at adults. 400... Fuck my old boots, sometimes I wonder about the reality these marketing people live in.

Like I said, maximize profits (for the parents who cave or are willing to spend that much), but not taking losses to make inroads in the market share of Sony. My kids but like it, as they love Minecraft, but no way.

Is the Minecraft box $250? I nabbed a Scorpio Edition this morning and when my co-worker went to check this afternoon Best Buy was sold out of preorders.
No, it's not - that was my point. (It's $400)

Well, anecdotal evidence shows the X1X is going to do pretty well in comparison to the PS4 Pro. Checking the U.S. Amazon Best Sellers of 2017 So Far today the X1X is ranked #63. PS4 Pro is #90. Thats looking at the whole year not just the current month so that says something.
I would be wary of using that. Esp since PS4 Pro first came out in 2016. And also, despite the initial surge, the pricing (as well as other factors that I won't start going into) isn't there for the long-term sales to make a dent in market share.

Dabanton

Not trying to be edgy at all. It's how I've been typing it for years. Sorry (not sorry) you get butthurt over a symbol.

It's lame and undermines any serious point you want to make.

If I took time to write out $ony for every post mentioning them see how dumb that would be.

Toki767

It's $400.

They're insane pricing it that. Especially when the regular bundles will probably be $200 for the holidays.

Chobel

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/899724336545845248

DAVPg8-STHOqv7EF65aDIA.png

UCBooties

I know a lot of pre-orders sold out almost immediately.

I got mine on Amazon as soon as it went up.

I'll probably cancel it. That thing's price is absurd.

Popsickles

Well they are hardly going to say pre-orders are dissapointing for the shiny new console are they. PR comments like these are designed to push those that are sitting on the fence to go and pre-order through fear of missing out.

Top Bottom