• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez on the future of Xbox (rumour)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Ah yes. The winning strategy for Xbox has always been

’Xbox hardware will be niche‘.

Just an epic win for Phil and all his friends.

James Van Der Beek Applause GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
Ah yes. The winning strategy for Xbox has always been

’Xbox hardware will be niche‘.

Just an epic win for Phil and all his friends.
Why should we care about Phil. How about this being the winning strategy for consumers.

Edit: My point is, people are so concerned about their favorite team and the corpos, it's so stupid. Just relax, flow with the stream of positive changes. After decades of this stagnant crap, the changes happening with tearing down a rigid structure right now is only a good thing. It can only get better. There are zero reasons for consumers to be "shoehorned" into buying a proprietary platform in 2024.

Last edited:

Winter John

Sure. It makes sense. Consoles were great back in the day but now they're pointless. An app and a controller is all most people need now. I decided having the Xbox and PS5 was a waste of money. My daughter didn't want either of them so I sold the PS5. Why? Because the Xbox has a hard drive. That was the biggest factor. Not the eco system. Not the exclusives. The hard drive was more valuable to me because I got a shit load of blu rays. That decision would have been crazy back in the 2000s but now. Eh, who gives a fuck. The games are mostly 3rd party. The exclusives this gen have been absolute barrel scraping dog shit. Spiderman? Seriously? That sub Ubisoft pigeon collecting garbage is the best they can do? Fuck off.

As for Xbox exclusives. Starfield, the vampire thing, Halo. Jesus, those things are like hillbilly cousins at a funeral. Ugly, deformed, broken freaks. You know what the best thing about Gamepass is? It makes you feel wise. You load up all them games you held off on buying, and you realize you made the right choice. That's Gamepass's greatest feature and Xbox don't even advertise it. If I was head of advertising I'd have banners all over the dashboard -

"Look at all this shit! Look at all this bland, instantly forgettable 3rd rate shit. And you didn't buy any of it! Well done. You are a wise, informed consumer."

Alan Wake

Sure. It makes sense. Consoles were great back in the day but now they're pointless. An app and a controller is all most people need now. I decided having the Xbox and PS5 was a waste of money. My daughter didn't want either of them so I sold the PS5. Why? Because the Xbox has a hard drive. That was the biggest factor. Not the eco system. Not the exclusives. The hard drive was more valuable to me because I got a shit load of blu rays. That decision would have been crazy back in the 2000s but now. Eh, who gives a fuck. The games are mostly 3rd party. The exclusives this gen have been absolute barrel scraping dog shit. Spiderman? Seriously? That sub Ubisoft pigeon collecting garbage is the best they can do? Fuck off.

As for Xbox exclusives. Starfield, the vampire thing, Halo. Jesus, those things are like hillbilly cousins at a funeral. Ugly, deformed, broken freaks. You know what the best thing about Gamepass is? It makes you feel wise. You load up all them games you held off on buying, and you realize you made the right choice. That's Gamepass's greatest feature and Xbox don't even advertise it. If I was head of advertising I'd have banners all over the dashboard -

"Look at all this shit! Look at all this bland, instantly forgettable 3rd rate shit. And you didn't buy any of it! Well done. You are a wise, informed consumer."
People still buy PlayStation and Nintendo consoles, just because Microsoft is failing (again) doesn't mean consoles are going away soon.

xrnzaaas

"Xbox hardware will be niche like Steam Deck"
Steam Deck offered something other platforms didn't when it originally launched - being able to play most Steam games and use more demanding emulators on a handheld device. Who'd buy a new Xbox hardware knowing that all games are on pc AND PlayStation?
The only thing going for it could be the price, because even now buying an XSX is much cheaper than building a decent gaming PC.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
No one wanted to give Xbox a chance? They sold 50m Xbones with no effort made by the company. Imagine with proper leadership what they could have done that gen. The Series X/S suffered from continued shit management

Separately Phil Spencer said the PS4/Xbone gen was the worst gen to lose. I disagree hard with it. The PS4 ownership was primarily physical so if Phil and his band of dopey men could have fixed the long term problems prior to Nov 2020. This gen is the worst to lose.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Steam Deck offered something other platforms didn't when it originally launched - being able to play most Steam games and use more demanding emulators on a handheld device. Who'd buy a new Xbox hardware knowing that all games are on pc AND PlayStation?
The only thing going for it could be the price, because even now buying an XSX is much cheaper than building a decent gaming PC.
I mean if it brings something new to the table. E.g. Handheld OS that runs Xbox app, Steam, Epic etc. and can dock as a console, I’d buy one

nemiroff

Gold Member
There is no universe in which a lack of competition in a market is good for consumers.
I understand that point, in principle I agree. But this is not the death of Xbox, nor even Xbox hardware. It's more like a metamorphosis. So I see this as not only the death of the Xbox dinosaur, but eventually all dinosaurs. It is not going to stop with Xbox hardware. "Xbox" is going to survive, but in a different better format (IMO).

If there's any truth to the "sideloading Steam", it should be celebrated by everyone.

Last edited:
Xbox has a core fanbase, dedicated Halo/ Gears players, some others.

Its for them. They are not many, must be around 10 million or so, going by day 1 sales figures for these games.

Selling 10 million systems at a profit seems like fine plan to me. I suppose system will be $700 + and will pack better hardware than normally is in consoles.

midnightAI

I think its a tough sell, whatever MS does in that space they aren't competing with a single (well, two really) company they will be fighting out with loads of PC manufacturers who want a piece of the mobile PC gaming platform. But if Jez is correct in what he says it sounds like they are already expecting that.

Zheph

Self centered post, consoles are popular regardless of what you think

Ms messed up since xbone not just with the name but the design and tv tv tv. They could of compete of doing what sony was doing buying studios and pay for exclusive 3rd party games/content they failed on that..

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The first nail hit the coffin when the PS4 & Xbox1 reveals happened and Sony just kept hammering them in, losing what was arguably the most critical generation where the majority of us all switched to digital or at the very least built up huge digital libraries on our respective consoles, it didn't matter what MS revealed for the next generation, it was too late, Sony was a runaway success and there was simply no catching them.

TBF switching to a more niche high end PC/Console hybrid with access to steam AND allowing you to plug in a VR headset would be a fucking win win in my book and could possibly tempt me

No one wanted to give Xbox a chance? They sold 50m Xbones with no effort made by the company. Imagine with proper leadership what they could have done that gen. The Series X/S suffered from continued shit management

Separately Phil Spencer said the PS4/Xbone gen was the worst gen to lose. I disagree hard with it. The PS4 ownership was primarily physical so if Phil and his band of dopey men could have fixed the long term problems prior to Nov 2020. This gen is the worst to lose.

Yes he said that was the worst generation to lose , conveniently forgetting two things:

1) They have substantial backwards compatibility and cloud saves

2) The rate of consumer doesn’t stop at one generation . New players will want to buy a system to play as their first console . Why not strive to make Xbox the best possible choice?

The guy is a phoney. People have put him on a pedestal and it’s ridiculous. The media in particular refuse to put him under any scrutiny despite all their disappointments.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Sure. It makes sense. Consoles were great back in the day but now they're pointless. An app and a controller is all most people need now. I decided having the Xbox and PS5 was a waste of money. My daughter didn't want either of them so I sold the PS5. Why? Because the Xbox has a hard drive. That was the biggest factor. Not the eco system. Not the exclusives. The hard drive was more valuable to me because I got a shit load of blu rays.
I'm confused.... Xbox has a hard drive? you mean SSD? they both have SSD's. And what does a hard drive have to do with BluRays? both have BluRay players also and the PS5 is better than the SX for playback.

I must be missing something heh :)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I feel Series X is the better hardware but PlayStation 5 still has more exclusives people care enough about.
I agree. The Series X is an outstanding piece of hardware and it’s a shame that Xbox never took full advantage of it. I blame having to work on the Series S as a big reason that potential was never utilized.

Xbox did deserve better, but they did this to themselves.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I agree. The Series X is an outstanding piece of hardware and it’s a shame that Xbox never took full advantage of it. I blame having to work on the Series S as a big reason that potential was never utilized.

Xbox did deserve better.
For me the Series X would have been better with more RAM and a clock speed upgrade but I admit that they really made some efforts. A shame that they lack the studios to make it sing as it should. Hopefully the coalition and ID will give us some eye candy soon.

BbMajor7th

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Didn't give Xbox a chance? I've been shaking my head at Xbox for a decade and still gave them a free good faith chance and bought Series X. My first one since 360. They blew the chance so I don't have it anymore.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Can someone please explain to me what this is, because it sounds like a Steam/EGS store on PC. We already know how Epic is doing while trying to compete with Steam.

sendit

Xbox did deserve better.

What is outstanding about it? The 12 TF? The over priced memory cards? The split memory pool with different frequencies and specs? The Series S anchor?

Last edited:

Zheph

Xbox did deserve better.
It's a decent piece of hardware and they did well with the "gas chamber" solution to cool it down but it has some clear issues coupled with bad API. Not the home run so many seems to think.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Didn't go so well for Stadia. Maybe people like having their hardware locally.
Then buy a PC and load it up, or the handheld. Point is the common denominator is the app. That will be on PC, handheld, mobile, cloud, browser, TV. PCs will always be around so if your chosen app is on that, you've got nothing but options.

Top Bottom