• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Henson: Idea Man - Trailer

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That's a great trailer. And what a great artist Jim Henson was. That trailer didn't even list The Storyteller which was a truly remarkable fantasy tv series. I loved that show. Would love to see it again to see if it's still as good as I remember it.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Irony

via wikipedia

Dr. David Gelmont announced that Henson had died from Streptococcus pneumoniae, an infection that causes bacterial pneumonia.[5] However, on May 29, Gelmont reclassified it as organ dysfunction resulting from streptococcal toxic shock syndrome caused by Streptococcus pyogenes.[53][54] Gelmont noted Henson might have been saved had he gone to the hospital just a few hours sooner.[55] Medical expert Lawrence D. Altman also stated that Henson's death "may have shocked many Americans who believed that bacterial infections no longer could kill with such swiftness."[53] Oz believed the stress of negotiating with Disney led to Henson's death, stating in a 2021 interview: "The Disney deal is probably what killed Jim. It made him sick."

Disney really does ruin and kill everything :messenger_pensive:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That's a great trailer. And what a great artist Jim Henson was. That trailer didn't even list The Storyteller which was a truly remarkable fantasy tv series. I loved that show. Would love to see it again to see if it's still as good as I remember it.
G9i46GPYmDg3K2ARxe0xBkLxFLH51opCK2ZOD-tRIanDi_MD2jQJ8CKe9rW2MxyW9VWNYQ

That dog still looks more alive than anything Hollywood or Disney has come up with in the years since, even with the benefit of newer technology.
Jim had heart.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I really hope they bring up the original Ninja Turtles movie from 1990

SM4zVVr.jpeg

The turtle costumes were created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop in London. Jim Henson said that the creatures were the most advanced that he had ever worked with. The creatures were first made out of fiberglass, and then remolded out of clay. They were produced as molds to cast the whole body in foam rubber latex. The work at the Creature Shop was completed within 18 weeks.

The costumes used state-of-the-art animatronics to make the face masks expressive. The masks included a set of internal animatronic mouths, eyes and eyebrows which were managed by a technician with the help of a computer. The computer could codify set of expressions, such as anger or awe, which were later programmed into the keys of a joystick handed by the technician. Capture of movement was also used for the lips. The technician could wear a special helmet with cameras recording the lips when pronouncing a phrase, and transferring to the mechanical lips embedded in the masks.

Kilau

I cried so hard when I heard the news he passed. It was a shock, we grew up with his art and watched every special as a family. It has really stuck with me for a long time and now that I have kids, introducing them to his creations has been bittersweet.

ManaByte

A long time ago I worked for a company and I was on vacation when the Creature Shop ordered some parts from us. They were only about an hour away from us, and the people charged them shipping for the parts. Had I not been on vacation I would've just hand delivered it to them.
Irony

via wikipedia

Disney really does ruin and kill everything :messenger_pensive:

Of course, Wikipedia propagandists like to omit context. In the late 80s the Muppets became too much for Henson to deal with because he wanted to do more stuff like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Storyteller, and the TMNT movies. So, he was trying to unload the Muppets to Disney since the Muppet Babies days. That's why his kids sold the Muppets to them because it was always in the plans. It frees up the Creature Shop to do the things they want to do.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Of course, Wikipedia propagandists like to omit context. In the late 80s the Muppets became too much for Henson to deal with because he wanted to do more stuff like Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Storyteller, and the TMNT movies. So, he was trying to unload the Muppets to Disney since the Muppet Babies days. That's why his kids sold the Muppets to them because it was always in the plans. It frees up the Creature Shop to do the things they want to do.
So, when taking into account the previously mentioned Frank Oz quote, it's not that Disney did anything intentionally harmful to Jim's health, but rather he was unequipped to negotiate the deal he wanted with them on his own.
They - as a big corporation - probably had a very rigid way of doing business, and navigating through the legal tangle caused him a significant amount of stress which he let affect his health. Is that a more accurate way to state it?

Last edited:

ManaByte

So, when taking into account the previously mentioned Frank Oz quote, it's not that Disney did anything intentionally harmful to Jim's health, but rather he was unequipped to negotiate the deal he wanted with them on his own.
They - as a big corporation - probably had a very rigid way of doing business, and navigating through the legal tangle caused him a significant amount of stress which he let affect his health. Is that a more accurate way to state it?
That and he was a Christian Scientist and from that he didn’t want to go to the hospital to be bother to anyone. Had he gone to the hospital earlier they could’ve saved him.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That and he was a Christian Scientist and from that he didn’t want to go to the hospital to be bother to anyone. Had he gone to the hospital earlier they could’ve saved him.
Seems like a lot of exceptional geniuses have a fatal quirk or two that end up eventually getting to them. A true shame and a real loss!

Top Bottom