• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carter - Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full-Length John Carter Trailer #2

john_carter_6-620x258.jpg

Director: Andrew Stanton (Wall-E, Finding Nemo)

Based of Edgar Rice Burroughs‘ work, the action adventure stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

Synopsis:

From Academy Award(R)-winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes “John Carter”–a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). “John Carter” is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

john_carter_poster-620x917.jpg

John Carter hits theaters March 9th, 2012.

"We didn't start this but we will end it!"

Is a horrible line and sounds like something from 300 all it needed was the "For Sparta" line at the end. Movie looks generic.

Busty

Banned
Oh Expendable. It's clear to me you've just taken shots from a whole host of genre films over the last ten years and edited them together to make your own fake trailer for John Carter (Of Mars) in a desperate bid for hits.

I think that if Andrew Stanton were given over $300m from Disney for a live action film he'd be able to do better than that.

For shame Expendable. If I were...., ummmm...., wait is this......

Oh dear.

Busty

Banned
Upon reflection the choice of music in this trailer appears to skew very old considering it's a Disney movie and their consumer products division will be all over this.

First Peter Gabriel for the teaser and now a remix of what appears to be Cashmere for the first trailer? The kids that watch Disney XD will be all over this.

*roll eyes*

Sorry Andrew Stanton but this still looks like a Jerry Bruckheimer's Prince Of Persia film.

Fixed. I'd actually like to see Bruckheimer do a space movie.

that cast is bananas if you're a fan of the past decade's
television shows.

Pretty much. After the record breaking ratings that Friday Night Lights got for NBC I expect people will be very, very interested in this film.

so did the film, it was horrible.

But then again Avatar had some generic ass plot and bad trailer but it was still an entertaining romp.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Even if the film is good, it's going to be a huge bomb. The marketing I've seen so far is terrible, and the look they've got going on is toxic. It's generic and nerdy, which is not a good combination if you're going for mass appeal.

Reserving judgement until I can watch the hd version... The music choices are not good.

I'm excited for the movie... even if it ends up being a stinker, I'll enjoy seeing it as the books are some of my favorites.

I really want to trust Stanton, but this is not promising. Not sure how he could go from such perfect stories as Nemo and Wall-E to something so cliche-filled.

Ricky_R

Yeah this looks kinda crap, but this is the kind of movie I like to see just before going to sleep.

Every movie has a place in me. Except musicals.

I really want to trust Stanton, but this is not promising. Not sure how he could go from such perfect stories as Nemo and Wall-E to something so cliche-filled.
I really hope these trailers are not indicative of the final quality. I think the visuals look nice, but dialogue seems shaky. Hopefully the full trailer is a bit better.

- J - D -

That was more like a tv ad/spot than a full on trailer, but whatever.

It was worse than the first. I'll continue to lament the extinction of practical sfx for creatures/aliens.

Looks eh, but I want to like it. Ill wait for the full trailer before commenting more.

Although, I really dont dig the look of him. He looks too prince of persia and just kinda cheesy.

FoneBone

Heard from where?

That's an absurd number.

Pretty much every source other than Disney itself is saying over $300 million. (I've seen at least one claim that it may be $400 million when all is said and done, but I doubt that one.)

Busty

Banned
I've heard that this has cost like 300 million to make. This will be a glorious flop. One for the ages.

$300m? And the rest.

The current industry chatter has the production's budget...

....,nearly $400m which would make it the second most expensive film ever made. Seriously.

A ludicrous three weeks of reshoots and extensive extra VFX are just the tip if the iceberg apparently.

$300m? And the rest.

The current industry chatter has the production's budget...

....,nearly $400m which would make it the second most expensive film ever made. Seriously.

A ludicrous three weeks of reshoots and extensive extra VFX are just the tip if the iceberg apparently.

I like riding on this merry-go-round with you, Busty.

FoneBone

Busty, any word on what Battleship is at? (Also Men In Black 3, which is probably the third massively-over-budget big 2012 film.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom