• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Davison leaving 1up/Ziff Davis

Tieno

skip said:
yes. confirmed. etc.

we are all very drunk tonight celebrating john's last day in the office, so bear with me. official annoucement will go out tomorrow.

he and Ira are starting their own gaming media venture, only one block away from ZD office (near the good lunch spots). from what I hear, john will still be on 1up yours, because it's not a competitive thing. and it's something he's been planning before the 'doom and gloom' ziff anouncements, so you can lay conspiracy theories to rest.

we shall all miss him dearly.

-andrew
Crisis somewhat averted! It'll be interesting to have him talk from a different position.

skip said:
yes. confirmed. etc.

we are all very drunk tonight celebrating john's last day in the office, so bear with me. official annoucement will go out tomorrow.

he and Ira are starting their own gaming media venture, only one block away from ZD office (near the good lunch spots). from what I hear, john will still be on 1up yours, because it's not a competitive thing. and it's something he's been planning before the 'doom and gloom' ziff anouncements, so you can lay conspiracy theories to rest.

-andrew

thats pretty huge news.

I went from sad to ambivalent in seven pages!

I'm glad he's moving on, if it's what he wishes, but I would have been really freaking sad if he was just gone from it all. Hell, he's shaped a lot of what I think is great about videogame journalism, not alone mind you. And his contributions to the 1upShow and 1upYours can never be denied.

He's the sane one. And he'd be missed a lot by these fans. We love all those at 1up, but John's kind of like those friends you have that hold no real insane attachments to any videogame company, just likes to game.

Meanwhile, the umbilical cord was still attached to me when Sega died.

Well anyway, I'm happy for him, and glad that he's not really disappearing from his loving audience.

I think I said love too many times in that.

skip

not knowing anything concrete yet, if you have kids and are still into gaming, you'll be into what they have planned.

Joates

Banned
skip said:
not knowing anything concrete yet, if you have kids and are still into gaming, you'll be into what they have planned.

He did really seem to be interested in the concept of the Family Mode or whatever it was in the Wii Madden, wasnt he?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks for the update skip, much appreciated.

It's great news that the pommy bugger will still be on 1up yours, best news so far today. :D

guise

woohoo!

John is like the dad of the podcast, i usually never agree with his choice of games but he speaks wisdom, is articulate and is the most balanced contributor to 1UY. Great to hear hes staying.

News from 1UP.
The rumors are true. This Friday is the last day for John Davison, 1UP's Editorial Director, previous Editor-in-Chief at OPM, previous Editor-in-Chief at EGM, fan-favorite on 1UP Yours and one of the few in the office with that weird British accent.

To end other rumors, John's new venture has absolutely, nothing to do with crafting a competitor to 1UP -- unless a family-friendly project is suddenly going to destroy the amazing content the folks at the 1UP Network do their best to deliver every day of the week. We aren't going anywhere. Plus, anyone who's listened to 1UP Yours in the past year probably knew something like this was coming. One day, everything must come to an end.

John will be utterly, incredibly, massively missed by everyone at the 1UP Network -- he's been an incredible boss and a great friend -- but just like when you lose anybody that's important, there's no choice but to move forward and that is the plan, like always. Hell, we all wish there could be one giant party for John's leaving, but a bunch of us are rocking out in Leipzig, Germany covering Games Convention 2007 for you all!

On a less depressing note, this means the entirety of the previous 1UP Yours crew will be reunited on Friday at PAX in Seattle for a nostalgia-filled edition of 1UP's flagship podcast. If you're going to be in the area, don't miss it. And if you aren't, it'll be online soon enough.

Thanks for everything, John. Good luck, and don't be a stranger.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
at first I was very *sad smiley face* but now that I readed that he'll do 1UPyours I'm *happy smiley face* again

Rlan

How is the PAX podcast working within the usual schedule? I think they mentioned last week that there will be one recorded Thursday, and then another on Friday at PAX. Will that one be delayed for release until the next week?

And where is Retronauts? Kohler said they recorded one last week but it never showed up.

This is really disappointing to hear, whether or not John will still be on the podcast. (It's good to hear he still will be, but he won't be able to pull out that "I don't think you can refer to me as 'editorial director motherfucker'" line again, unfortunately)

I'm pretty concerned about what's going to happen with 1UP, EGM and GFW now, because unlike most of you guys, I actually subscribe to both mags and visit 1UP frequently. I've been talking with a friend of mine and I really don't see who can step up to that position. Shoe? Milky? N'Gai!?

Regardless, best of luck to John (and Ira, though I never knew ye) with the new project, whatever it is exactly. As someone who has been dreaming of being a videogame journalist for many many years, he's been a hero to me (says so on my MySpace, so that makes it official) and I'm actually somewhat excited to see what he's able to do with a casual/family website (if that's what it is).

Here's to all the memories. Make that PAX episode fucking rock, fellas.

bud

skip said:
yes. confirmed. etc.

-andrew

awesome.

john > luke

voltron

So Im a regular Yours listener and I really havent noticed any signs that John was leaving the 1up Network, and judging by this thread neither had anyone else. Curious what they meant here:

To end other rumors, John's new venture has absolutely, nothing to do with crafting a competitor to 1UP -- unless a family-friendly project is suddenly going to destroy the amazing content the folks at the 1UP Network do their best to deliver every day of the week. We aren't going anywhere. Plus, anyone who's listened to 1UP Yours in the past year probably knew something like this was coming. One day, everything must come to an end.

I guess he may have been getting less involved, but John often just sits out alot of their bickering.

a.wd

Luke>john but thats like saying

who is more awesome Buddha or Jesus

they are both awesome, just in slightly different ways with different styles of doing the good thing.

by the way Che is probably one of my favourites so

Luke>Che>John but again, Jesus, Buddha same as yadda etc.

I'm glad he will still be on 1up yours, the only reason i'm still listening.

I would like to wish John good luck on his new adventure.

Prine

Banned
Che, John and Luke were the dream team at 1up :(

Its down to Mark and the other halo nut to keep 1up interesting.

Zenith

Banned
eXxy said:
This wasn't announced sooner because it was supposed to be tied to another announcement. Obviously, we've all known for a little while now, and have been suitably upset -- but proud to see John moving onto something that he's truly passionate about, and now just happens to be the time for him to move on it -- but we're ready to go forward, all the same.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162237

So glad to see 1UP is working just fine without his guidance:

4v4re40.jpg

Any way you slice it 1UP is hemorrhaging talent.

That's rad. John has his finger on the pulse of most of the industry in his role. His experience is a sure success for new office project. As long as it doesn't involve print.

MC Safety

Zenith said:
So glad to see 1UP is working just fine without his guidance:

Any way you slice it 1UP is hemorrhaging talent.

Let me guess: you're devastated.

You've always been such a strong supporter of Ziff, its staff, and its publications.

JavaMava

I think what was meant by hints being dropped the last year is; every once and a while you hear John go off about how video game journalism (and gaming) is changing, evolving. That he is willing to adapt and change to whatever the users demand. Take that in addition to his regular stories of his kids and gaming, and how he wants to play games with his kids we really could have seen something like this coming.

also wiifit

Soul4ger

Thunder Monkey said:
I went from sad to ambivalent in seven pages!

I'm glad he's moving on, if it's what he wishes, but I would have been really freaking sad if he was just gone from it all. Hell, he's shaped a lot of what I think is great about videogame journalism, not alone mind you. And his contributions to the 1upShow and 1upYours can never be denied.

He's the sane one. And he'd be missed a lot by these fans. We love all those at 1up, but John's kind of like those friends you have that hold no real insane attachments to any videogame company, just likes to game.

Meanwhile, the umbilical cord was still attached to me when Sega died.

Well anyway, I'm happy for him, and glad that he's not really disappearing from his loving audience.

I think I said love too many times in that.

Wow. Some people care WAY too much. This thread is kinda creepy

dock

This really sucks. I was introduced to the quality of 1up network through John's involvement in the 1up podcast (I went from the podcast to reading and trusting the site). I wish him all the best with his new venture and I'm really glad to see he's sticking with games, so there's still a lot of potential.

He really ought to hit the ground running and have his own podcast if he wants to grab a neat chunk of the 1up fanbase.

1-D_FTW

So Ziff has recently had Jim Louderback, Patrick Norton, and John Davidson all defect. The 1Up guys can post all they want, but it lends credence to the sinking ship theories. It's a lot easier to strike out on your own when you realize you're not risking anything by leaving.

EGM makes me start looking for a razor to slit my wrists....remember walk down the road not across it. I can't stand Jennifer's manner of speaking. I'm sure she is an intelligent and lovely person, but radio isn't her strong suit.

When Luke left I was expecting the quality of the show to drop, but it didn't. I missed him for about 1 episode. John was great because he brought a family perspective (which is why I think his new venture will do extremely well) and was a voice of reason. However, I don't think the show is doomed because they have people like Jeff and Mark, and even Patrick to fill the space....as long as they keep Garnett in check.

ColonelT

1-D_FTW said:
So Ziff has recently had Jim Louderback, Patrick Norton, and John Davidson all defect. The 1Up guys can post all they want, but it lends credence to the sinking ship theories. It's a lot easier to strike out on your own when you realize you're not risking anything by leaving.
No question, there's something to that. All people with positions of power, who would certainly know about any impending doom before anyone else.

(It's fun to speculate about things I know nothing about!)

There's nothing in the 1UP press release that indicates John will still be on the show; indeed I interpreted it to the contrary. Given the insane time commitment required to get a start-up going I can't imagine he's going to give up half a day a week to do 1UY.

(Again, it's fun to speculate about things I know nothing about!)

Blackface

Banned
The future of Internet media is in video shows and podcasts. He is smart sticking with 1up yours. Like I said before, if one day Ziff folds Revision3 wouldn't think twice about picking up the 1up show and 1up yours it needs good video game content and is growing by huge margins constantly.

fallout

skip said:
yes. confirmed. etc.

-andrew
Good for us! ... still pretty rough on you guys.

Tobor

Whoever the new boss is should focus on bringing all of the podcasts up to the same caliber as 1up yours, and get rid of the dead tree product.

Good luck with the family gaming site, John. It's a great idea and perfectly timed. Should be a big hit, just not on GAF.

RavenFox

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Wow. Some people care WAY too much. This thread is kinda creepy
Or maybe following the flock of 'monkey see monkey do' or 'over exaggeration'.?
John is staying or leaving? Makes no difference to me personally.

besiktas1

:( So Luke joined Bungie, John joined his own company, I expect Shane to join Sony and Garnett to join AA.

Good luck to everyone :D

Nameless

After Luke left, John took over as the king of logic on 1up yours. I mean how many times were his prediction spot-fucking-on? Garnett is cool, and I've grown to like Shane quite a bit, but it was nice to have John around to off-set their frequent use of hyperbole while discussing certain games or topics, as he, as stated throughout this thread was the voice of reason.

My votes for replacement(John may be allowed to paticipate in 1up yours but getting a venture off the ground + family may not leave much time for it--atleast initially) goes to Mark McDonald. Theres a nice contrast between his gaming taste and that of the other crew members, and hes not afraid to call a game teeeeeeeriiiiiible.

Top Bottom