• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp in talks to join "Murder on the Orient Express"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the title says, she is in talks to star as Mrs. Harriet Hubbard in Branagh's new adaptation of the novel, dated for November 2017.

The Fox film based on Agatha Christie’s classic mystery has been in the works for years (the deal to secure the rights with the Christie estate was seven years in the making). Shooting is expected to begin in November in London and then move to Malta.

The story centers on special detective Hercule Poirot, who boards a train from Jerusalem to Europe only to have a murder committed in the car next to his during a snowstorm. Poirot tries to discover the murderer or murderers before there's another victim.

Sidney Lumet tackled perhaps the best-known adaption of the book, considered to be one of Christie's greatest, in 1974 for Paramount. Albert Finney starred in that version as Poirot, while Ingrid Bergman, Bacall and Sean Connery were among the passengers/suspects.

Michael Green (Green Lantern) wrote the latest screenplay.

For further reference, Green is also co-showrunning "American Gods." And if the movie is coming out near the prime of Oscar season with Jolie attached, I can see Fox going all out for casting on this picture. This just might be their 2018 contender.

EDIT: She passed on the movie a long time ago, but now Johnny Depp is in talks to star in the movie as the titular murder victim. Sorry for the confusion. Also, cast now includes Michael Pena, Daisy Ridley, Judi Dench, and Leslie Odom Jr.

Branagh is a boring director. I don't really see this being better than the lumet movie which was a dope mystery film. I like the casting of Jolie though. That movie had great casting as well.

Kinyou

Michael Green (Green Lantern) wrote the latest screenplay

U8NEyQg.gif

oh it's the poirot one

for a second i thought this was something to do with an old graphic adventure game.... which was a very beautiful game

but OK!

INTEREST!

How's this one going to work?

The 2006 game had a character in it that would probably be right in her wheelhouse, but who is Poirot?

Edit: Oh it's for Hubbard? Eeeeeeehhhh

Fat4all

Banned
I'm a huge fucking Poirot mark, and I got most of AC's books.

Branagh's very hit or miss, but I enjoy his theatrical setups and attention to dialogue.

Jolie can be good, I'm sure she'll fit in OK.

I'm in.

Already forgot who the murderer was so I'm in.

That's the spirit.

tim.mbp

It's going to be weird seeing anyone other than David Suchet as Poirot. His version had Jessica Chastain, Hugh Bonneville and David Morrissey as well.

Fat4all

Banned
It's going to be weird seeing anyone other than David Suchet as Poirot. His version had Jessica Chastain, Hugh Bonneville and David Morrissey as well.

His version is baller as hell, but yeah, for a new theater adaptation he's just a bit too old.

I'm always up for more takes on the character as well from different actors.

Fury451

Banned

Don't forget Toby Jones.

I think Jolie is kind of a hit or miss actress for me, but the real big obstacle will be who plays Poirot.

As mentioned, I can't really see anybody else other than Suchet as that character now.

7aged

Yup Suchet is the definitive Poirot for me. Lightyears from the pink panther-esque cheese of previous renditions

Fluvian

Banned
Some much for retirement, she'll need all the cash she can get for her Divorce, I don't think this will help her public perception though, Pitt has halted some press and projects to focus on the divorce, if Jolie goes off and films a movie right in the middle of a family crisis she might lose some support....Yes I talk about celeb gossip like it's politics, get over it.

robotrock

Banned
Some much for retirement, she'll need all the cash she can get for her Divorce, I don't think this will help her public perception though, Pitt has halted some press and projects to focus on the divorce, if Jolie goes off and films a movie right in the middle of a family crisis she might lose some support....Yes I talk about celeb gossip like it's politics, get over it.
uhh okay. Also she's not in the movie

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

she's not in this

I mean that's a great cast but the David Suchet version is less than ten years old. Orient Express isn't even the best Poirot book.

Ashhong

lol...

Why do people hate women this badly? Like, damn.

Fluvian

Banned
Why do people hate women this badly? Like, damn.

What kind of an accusation is that? How did you get "this guy hates women" out of that? so making comments against a single woman =hates all women, god I wish neogaf didn't have a rule against directly insulting other users, but I do however wish it had a rule against insulting other users in a round about way like you just did.

Oh man Branagh's mustache looks legendary. I think we all know why he wanted to do this film now.

Also Depp is reprising his role as Mortdecai again. I see making a cameo as the character in Fantastic Beasts wasn't enough for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom