• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jools Watsham: Chicken Wiggle in 22 days sold half of what Xeodrifter did in 1 Day

Jazzem

Ah man, poor Jools :( I'll definitely grab this on Switch or PC if it ever goes there, I love his other work and this looks charming. Like many alas I'm not particularly interested in buying more 3DS stuff these days

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I really liked Mutant Mudds and Xeodrifter, but I honestly never even heard of "Chicken Wiggle" before now.

Basically this. I own those first two, huge Mudds fan, but boy this game sure never made it on my radar.

...the name is not helping.

MUnited83

For you.
He wasn't able to get a dev kit, been trying since before Switch was officially revealed. So nothing he could have done there.

"just released" ...the game is far from done, he does these smaller games to fund dev of Treasurenauts in the meantime.

3DS is not a dead platform.

For indies in 2017? It's dead as dead can be.

gogojira

Personally, I just didn't find much appealing about what I saw. I've also left my 3DS in the dust. I'm picking it back up for Samus though! :D I can't imagine indie games doing well there, no matter what.

fireflame

I think game had a lack of coverage. But yes, the word chicken may be frowned upon because there are many games that are rather mediocre that use it; same could apply to pirate or vikings, those words are thrown as a confession to a lack of creativity by mediocre devs.
The timing may not have been the best too.

redcrayon

Xeodrifter was awesome, looked a bit like Metroid to the casual onlooker (yes I know it's not that similar) and launched at a time when the 3DS wasn't suffering from a lack of visabilty due to age and the popularity of the Switch.

Xeodrifter just sounds cooler too. In a generic sci-fi way.

Poor dude. The 3ds is 6 years, I doubt indies are gonna get much more out of it. Hope he lands on his feet with Switch. I'm sure there's a crowd for some ports of his older games.

Shifty

"Chicken Wiggle" as a name is too literal. Should have taken the Banjo Kazooie angle and tried to brand based on the character buddy duo instead of "there is a chicken and it has a wiggly thing in its backpack".

Unless the characters are literally called 'Chicken' and 'Wiggle' of course. If that's the case then we might be looking at a lost cause.

Hm I'm surprised at the hate for the name. I like it, it's fun and quirky and memorable.

For me it's the fact that I can't buy it for my Switch. I loved Mutant Mudds on 3DS, so I'm interested in anything Jools is behind.

Also as someone who designs logos for a living, this is borderline offensive to me

BxwlIBz_d.jpg

Personally, I just didn't find much appealing about what I saw. I've also left my 3DS in the dust. I'm picking it back up for Samus though! :D I can't imagine indie games doing well there, no matter what.

Agree. I love my 3DS but with the Switch out now I'm only picking up my 3DS for games that truly excite me, like Metroid Samus Returns.

Instro

Potential issues:

-Bad name, concept not immediately interesting to enthusiast users. No awareness.
-Xeodrifter released on Steam simultaneously. More platforms may have driven up awareness on the 3DS. Chicken Wiggle is 3DS only.
-Released on a dead platform. eShop is mostly used by enthusiasts, who have already moved on. Releasing on the Switch would have gotten it featured in a direct.

Glix

I feel like the people who are going to buy an indie game on the eshop day 1 are exactly the type of people who have moved to switch already.

I know I have bought 1 3ds game and 0 vita games since I got my switch. Before that I would buy digital software constantly.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Besides the name, I'm not buying anything on 3DS, the system is outdated and I can't play those eShop games anywhere else.

I went almost fully digital on 3DS, and while the convenience was great, I completely regret it. More expensive games and impossible to resell. Now I'm back to physical on WiiU, and never buying a full priced digital game again.

PS: this article is totally marketing, and it's working, I mean, coupled with the price reduction and announcement of two switch games, lol.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's all of those things; the 3DS is dead, the game is expensive, the game is not immediately appealing (it mostly looks like Mutant Mudds with a Chicken instead of a kid), no real pre-release promotion, most people looking for a platformer aren't planning on making levels so the key unique selling point probably doesn't drive that much attention.

Yup
Doa indeed

I still play on the 3DS and releasing a game around the release of Metroid doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

But given the game's name and icon, I would not have tapped on it in the eShop. Had I know the pedigree, I would have.

I feel like the people who are going to buy an indie game on the eshop day 1 are exactly the type of people who have moved to switch already.

I know I have bought 1 3ds game and 0 vita games since I got my switch. Before that I would buy digital software constantly.

This is me as well. I am past the point where I am buying small digital games for my Vita and 3DS. I have not heard or seen this game at all until this thread.

Ranger X

I think the game looks less appealing and not just in names.
Also, it might not be the right time to be 3DS exclusive, this system it slowly losing steam and people are attracted elsewhere. Combine this with a lack of marketing and a bit of bad luck and there's your receipt for disaster.

Also, you can't always have a success in hands every time and previous success never set your next one. I think his complains are a bit egoistical. He's been actually lucky to have good sales with Mutant Mudds and Xenodrifters.

BiggNife

3DS never did create a great market for indies. Can't say I remember playing many that weren't published by Nintendo

Early on, it was pretty good. I know gaffer Beril said that Gunman Clive sold like ten times better on 3DS than it did on iOS and Android. But now the 3DS eShop is super bloated and barely curated, so indies have moved on to the Switch.

I'm sure the Switch's eShop will be similarly bloated in a few years, but thankfully its not there yet.

Weetrick

Sad to read this article. I've always wanted to see Jools release a mega hit someday. He seems like a nice guy. Making 3rd party Nintendo exclusives seems like a tough hill to climb.

Personally, I have zero desire to play anything on my 3DS anymore. I haven't used it in ages. It has a great library and I love many 3DS games, but it feels so outdated and sluggish now. It's time to move on. At this point, only a new 2D Metroid will get me to play my 3DS again.

Didn't even know it was a game, probably doesn't help its on 3DS and all the hype is with the Switch now. Can't imagine indy titles doing super well on 3DS from here on out.

Intel_89

Kind of a lame solution but I feel like Jools should be a part of something bigger while still being an indie developer. He's a talented guy but there's more to putting a game out there than developing it.

On topic, I haven't grabbed the game yet but I knew what it is before reading this topic.

Piers

Do I really have to explain why a game's title can affect how people perceive it?

Xeodrifter sounds like nothing to me — quite literally. My brain just filters that name out.
Chicken Wiggle is a silly name but I feel like the fact its more memorable is more important in standing out amongst all the other software next to it.

Mutant Mudd's, Xenodrifter and now Chicken Wiggle are all Hella overpriced for unremarkable games.

The reason I don't really feel that sorry for him. Jools always seemed to overvalue his projects on 3DS.

Saying the eshop is definitely dead for indies because your game didn't do well is a little full of it even it's true to some degree.

Intel_89

The reason I don't really feel that sorry for him. Jools always seemed to overvalue his projects on 3DS.

Saying the eshop is definitely dead for indies because your game didn't do well is a little full of it even it's true to some degree.

Image & Form have teased on their Twitter a 3DS port of SteamWorld Dig 2, that would be a good measuring rod if it came to be in my opinion.

Eusis

bububu why would he ignore the 70 million install base :(

(I agree with you, shame about Metroid and Superstar Saga tho)
They'll probably do better on account of Nintendo visibility, but I would have liked them on Switch, and indie games definitely won't stand a chance of shining.

Aesnath

Never heard of it. Loved Xeodrifter and would snap buy a sequel.

On the other hand, never tried Mutant Mudds either, so maybe the problem is with me.

They'll probably do better on account of Nintendo visibility, but I would have liked them on Switch, and indie games definitely won't stand a chance of shining.
Yeah considering their constant promotion and larger status as first party games, they'll probably have a better sales result.

Yo everyone, buy more copies of Ever Oasis

Also yeah I would've went with a different title.

OuterLimits

Honestly, I think price may be the biggest factor. $15 seems a tad much. Especially on a system late in its lifespan that has tons of other quality indie games much cheaper. Yes, the name probably doesn't help either.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well since people are now paying attention to it now at least, for what it's worth it does have an enjoyable level creator. It may not be Mario Maker, but it has its charm if you liked Mutant Mudds.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The only games that can still succeed on 3ds at this time are the ones that Nintendo hold hostages there to keep selling the 3ds.

Big fan of Jools and Renegade Kid dating back to the OG Dementium on the DS. I bought the majority of their eShop releases (Mutant Mudds, Xeo, Moon + Dementium remakes) but haven't checked this out. I remember hearing about it coming out but then forgetting. Most of us have moved to the Switch by now. I'm getting Metroid and Etrian so maybe I'll pick it up if I remember, but i think the main problem is most of the people who play Renegade Kid games have moved to the Switch.

And of course, the name is bad.

orborborb

I checked the eshop every week for many years because of virtual console releases, and thats the only reason I'd see all the other new releases.

I bought mutant mudds and xeodrifter because they seemed well made and influenced by classic games I still enjoyed, but these days I've learned very few of these games just doing a couple things pretty well taken from a classic game are not as valuable to me as replaying the classics, so I'll only play that sort of game for free on my iPad and then maybe pay $2-$3 to get rid of ads.

Enjoyed the Muttant Mudds games. Xeodrifter was just ok; there's an overabundance of "Metroidvanias" these days that are better. The videos don't make it look too exciting, but will check it out if it ever comes out on PC

Price and name seem to be the biggest culprits.

Hale-XF11

I'd put some blame on Nintendo for not implementing proper online community functions that keep gamers like myself coming back to the 3DS and checking out new games (unless a particular game has been heavily marketed on social media or by email and I'm made aware of its existence).

watershed

Banned
With all honesty and sympathy, I don't know why Jools expected otherwise. Chicken Wiggle, no matter how much love was poured into it, looks like a barebones mobile platformer with an especially kiddie aesthetic on the 3ds eshop that is pretty much dead at this point. There was no hype for this game online so it clearly was not building momentum leading to launch.

Top Bottom