• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judge rejects GOP bid to keep Schiavo alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macam

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Right. Let's say I had two puppies, one in each hand. I tell you that I'm going to kill both of them. But, I say, if you sign this paper I'll only kill one of them. Wanting to improve the general situation for puppies, you do so. Then one puppy goes in the woodchipper.

Is it fair to say that you are in favor, then, of killing some puppies?

I love the dramatic analogy; I guess patients whose quality of life is too poor are now puppies. But regardless, I'd say yes. Bush has been wholly inconsistent in, shall we say, his "err on the side of life" policies, regardless of the status of patients. He's been directly responsible for losing hundreds of lives of inmates and indirectly so of soliders thanks in large part to his wreckless approach to the Iraq war.

However, that said, the bigger issue here, and the far less subjective one, is the blatant abuse of executive and legislative power to attempt to override the checks and balances of the judicial system, all to interfere in a trifling personal case of all things. We're talking about going against about 20 judges' decisions now, and it's safe to say that both parties have had more than enough of their day in court.

NWO

PotatoeMasher said:
The pro-death crowd

Funny how Republicans are pro-war and pro-death penalty yet they are some how pro-life and Democrats are pro-death. :lol

Nobody has a say in this woman's decision of living or dying except the husband because its his power to do so. Too bad if the parents want it and you sure as hell know that if it was the other way around with the parents wanting her to die and the husband wanting her to live that these Republicans would be switching their stance back to whoever could win them more brownie points in the next election.

And here's a question to all the morons who are out protesting that this lady live and saying how life is precious that we cannot spare a single one.

WHY AREN'T THEY OUT SAVING THE STARVING KIDS IN AFRICA????

You have hundreds of kids starving to death EVERYDAY in Africa yet they care about 1 lady in Florida because the Republicans said jump and they said how high. This is how you can tell this people are nothing more than phonies because if they really cared they'd be doing something to try to save EVERYONE'S LIFE and not just a lady who is being used for political gain.

I'd love to make a sign and go into that crowd that said "There are two hundred kids starving to death in Africa right now. So why is everyone in Florida?". But then I'd be beaten to death by the "pro-life" crowd.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Since the thread was bumped, I think it should be pointed out that the Schindlers' appeal in Atlanta was turned down. I believe their only recourse now is the U.S. Supreme Court, which has turned rejected the case before.

I can't wait to see what rabbits DeLay and Bush pull out of their as^H^H^H hat after that happens again. Apparently the new mantra of the GOP is "States' rights, as long as we agree with those rights."

GLoK

NWO said:
Funny how Republicans are pro-war and pro-death penalty yet they are some how pro-life and Democrats are pro-death. :lol

We've been through this. Life only counts if you're an unborn infant or a mindless vegetable. everything in between that is really up for grabs.

If you wanna see the war on Iraq put to a stop just get a live feed of a Husband in Iraq trying to remove a feeding tube from his PVS wife in a building that's in the middle of the warzone. out go the troops, in go the neo-con protestors.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
This might be inappropriate, but I was just wondering what these same people who are fighting to have the tube reinserted would do if people started turning into zombies a la RE. Would they fight for the zombies' right to life even as they are having their brains eaten?

DarthWoo said:
This might be inappropriate, but I was just wondering what these same people who are fighting to have the tube reinserted would do if people started turning into zombies a la RE. Would they fight for the zombies' right to life even as they are having their brains eaten?

if President Bush told them to, they would. Which leads to the next question: Who are the REAL zombies?

NWO said:

Nobody has a say in this woman's decision of living or dying except the husband because its his power to do so. Too bad if the parents want it and you sure as hell know that if it was the other way around with the parents wanting her to die and the husband wanting her to live that these Republicans would be switching their stance back to whoever could win them more brownie points in the next election.

And here's a question to all the morons who are out protesting that this lady live and saying how life is precious that we cannot spare a single one.

WHY AREN'T THEY OUT SAVING THE STARVING KIDS IN AFRICA????

You have hundreds of kids starving to death EVERYDAY in Africa yet they care about 1 lady in Florida because the Republicans said jump and they said how high. This is how you can tell this people are nothing more than phonies because if they really cared they'd be doing something to try to save EVERYONE'S LIFE and not just a lady who is being used for political gain.

I'd love to make a sign and go into that crowd that said "There are two hundred kids starving to death in Africa right now. So why is everyone in Florida?". But then I'd be beaten to death by the "pro-life" crowd.

All life is precious to pro-life Republicans.

*Unless you're in prison, gay, or not American.

Iceman

1) Schiavo is not in a vegetative state. (The media even had me buying this for a while) She can respond to external stimuli.

2) I BELIEVE that her husband wants her dead for not exactly the most pure reasons and has been abusing the system to get the government to assume the responsibility. Because of his actions, she has been denied any serious attempts at therapy for almost 15 years.

Now, I've only heard this from one source, but she hasn't even had an MRI or PET scan done since then. If true - WTH??

He (Michael) is all kinds of fishy. Terri was all ready to divorce him and then IT happened. He's got the other wife now and two kids by her. He doesn't want Terri's parents to assume care for her.. I mean why is this guy so bent on making sure she dies?

3) I resent anyone who continuously throws around the claim that ALL republicans don't care about the lives of homosexuals, non-Americans or whatever.

4) This whole thing has become a skirmish in the greater war for redifining human life. When does it end and when does it start. I think there are way too many people who feel comfortable with putting numbers on these concepts.

5) For those people trying to point out hypocrisy on the part of christian conservatives when it comes to death (a fun game for you guys) how about if we turn it around on you?

Lib Democrats have about the same fervor towards protecting the lives of convicted criminals as we do towards protecting the lives of babies and the elderly. You guys petition for the right to end the lives of millions of children while we continue to press for the executions of convicted murderers which total less than a hundred per year. You plead for more humane forms of execution for a cold blooded murderer while fighting tooth and nail for the right to perform the most brutal form of abortion on an innocent child.

Before you get all hot and bothered, let me just say that I understand where you guys are coming from ... I know why you have these points of view. It doesn't make it any more reasonable in my mind but at least I can wrap my head around it and converse with people about it. But doesn't it kind of hurt communication when you narrow down debates by marginalizing the other side's positions with such extreme language?

AntoneM

Iceman said:
Lib Democrats have about the same fervor towards protecting the lives of convicted criminals as we do towards protecting the lives of babies and the elderly. You guys petition for the right to end the lives of millions of children while we continue to press for the executions of convicted murderers which total less than a hundred per year. You plead for more humane forms of execution for a cold blooded murderer while fighting tooth and nail for the right to perform the most brutal form of abortion on an innocent child.

since the rest of the post has been addressed in the thread I thought I'd point out that Liberals don't fight for the right to end the lives of millions of children, we fight for the right to choose to have an abortion. I doubt anyone is fighting for the right to randomly punch pregnant women in the stomach in order to kill their unborn child and be able to get away with it.

andthebeatgoeson

...but my money is on a car crash, coronary and a long life of no millions.

Iceman said:
2) I BELIEVE that her husband wants her dead for not exactly the most pure reasons and has been abusing the system to get the government to assume the responsibility. Because of his actions, she has been denied any serious attempts at therapy for almost 15 years.

Now, I've only heard this from one source, but she hasn't even had an MRI or PET scan done since then. If true - WTH??

He (Michael) is all kinds of fishy. Terri was all ready to divorce him and then IT happened. He's got the other wife now and two kids by her. He doesn't want Terri's parents to assume care for her.. I mean why is this guy so bent on making sure she dies?

You have to know the difference between a CT scan and a MRI and PET scan before you start throwing those symbols around. I'm not sure if you are looking for a tumor (PET) or a brain mass (MRI) but a CT scan can show you an anoxic brain injury just as well as the others you have pointed out. And by and large, physical exam can show you just about the same as a CT scan.

Other arguments: She can be in a persistent vegetative state and seemingly respond to you and external stimuli. I have a patient now who's in the same situation who had me do a double take today because he seemingly looked at me when I called his name but all other signs indicate that his heart will still beat on his own and he'll still breath on his own (not brain dead) but will not function in any normal capacity for the rest of his life. You wouldn't be suprised how family will grasp onto any ray of hope when their family members are put into this situation. It's terrible in almost every single way that they have to suffer thru random neurons firing, interpreting a response.

When people try to slander her husband, I try to figure what his motivation would be to see her dead. It's kinda sleazy the way they have been slandering the guy, particularly when you bring up 'abusing the system' (ie having the fricken govenor and the president weigh in on the issue is overstepping the bound, but the bushes are repeated linesteppers). To me, he had a normal response: it's been 15 years. I'm sure she has died in his eyes a long time ago. I don't believe he is in it for the money. Who's been paying the lawyers? Can either side expect any of that insurance claim, after the legal bills they have racked up? I know plenty of this fight is out of their hands now (financially at least) but I doubt either side will see any of that money. So what's left? His impending marriage? I guess if that was all this fight was about, he could just have easily divorced her but apparently, he has still moved on. He's not going about it the right way if he wants to divorce her. You don't fight for 15 years, on either side for superficial reasons. I don't think anybody has that big of a sack or lack of emotion. So, I come back to principles. The principle that he, as the husband, should be making these decisions. In the face of desperate hope. There isn't much you can do to fried neurons. If you cut one of your major nerves, you know the best we can do about it? Wait your silly ass until it grows back. I think the fuckers inch along at 1 mm a day or month. Something ridiculously long. It's been 15 years and she still needs help. I think Mike Schiavo is a lil more sensible and a lil more compassionate for his wife then people make him out to be. He doesn't have to be recklessly hopeful to still have love for his wife and this is definitely a time where letting a person die may be more compassionate than anything else.

Just because medicine can keep her alive doesn't me we should. And it's not killing her now. She would have died a long time ago without medical intervention.

BTW, I would love for someone in the legal field to explain how the parents had any jurisdiction. I thought spouse would be the final decision on things like this. How did this case go on for so long?

border

I don't get why people keep it up with the "He just wants the money" angle. After 15 years of medical bills and 5 years of legal bills, how is there gonna be any money left?

Also, can somebody please discuss the miracle therapies that are going to improve this woman's life?

Is there well-documented, reliable look at the husband's character (in the media)? All the really bad stuff so far has come from right-wingers and isn't really sourced. Specifically would like to hear where the "When is that bitch going to die" and "She was ready to divorce him" bits are from.

Wow. Polling results from CBS. Considering the party breakdown, the results are even more surprising:

Republican 44%
Democrat 29%
Independent 28%

This is TERRIBLE for the GOP and Bush...

Congress Job Approval

Approve 34 (41)
Disapprove 49 (44)

Bush Approval Ratings

Approve 43 (49)

Should Congress and the President be involved in the Schiavo matter?

Yes 13
No 82

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/23/opinion/polls/main682674.shtml

Even the Iraq numbers have dropped considerably -- to 39% from 45% last month.

Good job trying to wedge the Democrats, GOP. You've only managed to damage your party.

:lol

DaMan121

1) Schiavo is not in a vegetative state. (The media even had me buying this for a while) She can respond to external stimuli.

Yes.. Like when her mother blows in her eyes to garner a response.. If you watch the unedited vidoes, you will see her smile, roll her eyes at random events and objects.. whether there is anyone there, or if she is alone in the dark.

BULLSHIT! If you looked after anyone in this state? Someone you loved and cared for, taken away, and all that is left is an empty shell? He spent years, and alot of his own money to look after her... He reliased its fruitless, her family are dillusional.

Right.. Spend all the money, hang around for 7 years.. THEN try to kill her.. right..

3) I resent anyone who continuously throws around the claim that ALL republicans don't care about the lives of homosexuals, non-Americans or whatever.

They care about lives when it suits them.. Er on the side of life? BULLSHIT! Tell that to the people fried under Bush's watch.

4) This whole thing has become a skirmish in the greater war for redifining human life. When does it end and when does it start. I think there are way too many people who feel comfortable with putting numbers on these concepts.

Numbers? No, but definitions YES.. Thats what law is, definitions. By the way, you use the word life fairly liberally for a conservative.. I wouldnt concider Terri alive.

5) For those people trying to point out hypocrisy on the part of christian conservatives when it comes to death (a fun game for you guys) how about if we turn it around on you?

I dont see how you have, my view is perfectly consistent.. Yours is not.

There are 2 possible scenarios here:

a)She IS conscience, and she is trapped in this shell. Having said that, would you want to live in a state where your 41 years old, cant communicate with anyone, cant move any of your limbs volunterally, have your mother wipe the drool from your mouth, and change your diapers everyday?

b)Or she has no idea whats going on because her brain is filled with spinal fluid.. Maybe this is why so many of the religious folk are involved. The issues raised here could shatter their whole worldview regarding the "soul"

And the hypocrisy continues to roll in, lol. This time, from Senate Majority Leader "Dr." Bill Frist:

http://dcinsidescoop.blogspot.com/2005/03/frist-urged-changing-definition-of.html

Frist wrote a book in 1989 called Transplant where he advocated changing the definition of "brain dead" to include anencephalic babies. Anencephalic babies are in the same state as Terri Schiavo except that she suffered a physical trauma that put her into a vegetative state while the anencephalic babies are born that way.

This remarkable discovery buttresses the argument that Frist's advocacy for Schiavo is wholly political. How does he explain this remarkable inconsistency? Here is the relevant passage on Frist as quoted by the New Republic in 2003:

"And, although Frist writes frequently about the ethical issues surrounding transplants--for example, the question of when death begins--he approaches these issues in starkly scientific terms, with little patience for religious objections.

"Near the end of the book, for example, Frist suggests changing the legal definition of 'brain death' to include anencephalic babies, who are born with a fatal neurological disorder but show just the slightest hint of brain-stem activity. Such a change would make it possible to harvest their organs for transplant--something the Catholic Church and pro-life groups oppose. 'Three thousand anencephalic babies were born a year, enough to solve our demand many times over--but we never used them.'"

These guys have no shame. This guy's a cat killer, too. :lol :lol

Brannon

Because of his actions, she has been denied any serious attempts at therapy for almost 15 years.

Actually it's been documented that he was giving her some of the best treatment a person can get for several years before the decision to terminate life support (and that decision he left up to the courts) As shown on the pics in this thread, even then almost all of her brain but her stem was dead and was deteriorating at a constant rate.

Unless he was lying about the whole treatment thing, which is just impossible; the years and years of theraputic documentation alone side with him, not to mention everything else that was done to help her before the decision. Also there's the malpractice money, all of which was spent on her, which is easily proven via said documentation because hospitals don't work for free if you have the money. And don't forget that the numerous courts that have heard this case for years also have this information, as well as the neutral court-appointed doctors; you'd think THEY would see an inconsistency with the therapy story if there was one, but they didn't, because there isn't, because she got massive therapy.

Why won't they give an MRI? She has metal implants surgically inserted in her head (result of more therapy), and if they give her one, her head would explode. Metal and MRI's don't mix.

Out of all the arguments, this one needs to be laid to rest. Seriously. There's too many years of too much paperwork and too many people that can claim and prove that Terri got therapy.

rc213

By Wednesday afternoon, Governor Bush argued that new information suggests Schiavo's condition might have been misdiagnosed, and that she may not be in a persistent vegetative state after all.

"This new information raises serious concerns and warrants immediate action," Bush told reporters.
Official with Christian bioethics group

In the affidavit filed on behalf of the state, Dr. William Cheshire, a board-certified neurologist at the Mayo Clinic, stated that his review of Schiavo raises "serious doubt" about the current diagnosis. He said she displayed "context-specific" reactions to stimuli, such as upbeat music, colorful objects or the arrival of people into the room.

Although describing some of those responses as "ambiguous," Cheshire wrote, "I could not withhold life-sustaining nutrition from this beautiful lady whose face brightens in the presence of others."

Cheshire said he reviewed Schiavo's medical records, watched videotapes and observed her at the Pinellas Park hospice earlier this month.

But he was unable to directly examine her, Department of Children and Families Secretary Lucy Hadi told reporters.

Cheshire is also director of biotech ethics at the Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity, a group founded in 1994 to recognize the contribution of "biblical values" to the bioethical debate.

This is seriously just getting out of hand. Misdiagnosed for 15 years? WOW! That's stretching it, I find it hilarious that this doctor is actually making this claim.

Macam said:
Edit: Identical post as above coincidentally.

If that makes you ill, just read this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6845031/#050323a

As you may know, I have spent the last week on my TV and radio show fighting to save the life of Terri Shiavo. Like many opinion givers, lawmakers, and American citizens, I am shocked and saddened by the forced starvation of a young, helpless woman who is being sentence to death simply because she cannot feed herself. Applying this standard, infants, Alzheimers patients, the elderly and infirmed would face a court ordered death.

If we are to judge our society, as Hubert Humphrey once suggested, by how we protect the weakest among us, America is in trouble.

So where does my confession come in? Well, here goes. Until late last week, I didn't want to talk about Terri Shiavo. It was too depressing a spectical, too ugly a fight. I wanted to turn my eyes away from this beautiful young woman who turned into a helpless, bedridden soul. As beautiful to her mother and father as she was on her 16th birthday, the Terri Shiavo of 2005 was just too painful to watch.

I suspect I was not alone. I have noted over the past several days a growing outrage for a judicial system that would allow a mother's daughter to starve to death in the most plentiful country on earth.

This morning on my radio show, I had planned to talk about the Patriot Act and a host of other issues.

But Portland called, and they wanted to talk about Terri.

Atlanta? Terri.

Orlando? Terri.

Washington DC? Terri.

Iowa...of course...Terri.

Three days ago, few Americans cared. But that is no longer the case. We are all wide awake in America, and we are no longer afraid to look into the eyes of Terri Schiavo.

And like her parents, we see a beautiful young woman made in the image of God.

A God who will not bless this or any nation that kills its weakest and most vulnerable citizens.

May God forgive us all.

-Joe Scarborough

Just unbelievable.

DaMan121

And like her parents, we see a beautiful young woman made in the image of God.

So god is a vegetable? Right.. I honestly hope she wakes up and says: "I cant believe you guys left me like this for 15 years!! It was a nightmare!!".. then proceeds to kill every single politician in the country.

From Google ad at the bottom of the page (I think it was for praying for Tom Delay):

Dear Christian Friend[SIC],

Thank you for visiting The Capitol Hill Prayer Alert Foundation Website.

If you are a Bible-believing Christian who takes prayer seriously, you are needed on the front lines in the war for our nation’s soul.

You know that ungodly forces are out to destroy America. They hate the Gospel and America’s Christian heritage. They want to remove the Biblical foundations from American law and government, the very moral roots that made ours a free nation & a light among the nations.

WARS CONCURRENTLY WAGING AGAINST AMERICA &/or THE CHURCH

1. War with Islamic Terrorists at home & abroad!
2. War with European Secularism!
3. War with Red China! (We don't realize it yet!)
4. War with the Pagan Left in our Churches & Culture!
5. War with Those who Despise Christ & Our Judeo Christian Heritage!

Macam

Banned
He initially wanted to talk about the Patriot Act? Unless he was going to segue into how the Patriot Act was a precursor to the administration's more recent intrusion and mangling of civil rights yet again with the Schiavo fiasco, I don't really see how the Patriot Act is particularly relevant as far as current affairs goes, especially considering what's happened in the last two or three weeks. Last I heard, there was a whole world outside of Florida, and supposedly, there's a war going on. Like, a series of them.

Brannon

Interesting note on the Patriot Act; he's trying to get it renewed, and it just may happen if people don't start paying attention to things other than Florida the Magical State of Distraction.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
A God who will not bless this or any nation that kills its weakest and most vulnerable citizens.

no, just those who kill other nations' citizens.

fucking hypocrites.

DaMan121 said:
They care about lives when it suits them.. Er on the side of life? BULLSHIT! Tell that to the people fried under Bush's watch.

exactly.

Macam

Banned
DaMan121 said:
So god is a vegetable? Right.. I honestly hope she wakes up and says: "I cant believe you guys left me like this for 15 years!! It was a nightmare!!".. then proceeds to kill every single politician in the country.

pict25.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
border said:
I don't get why people keep it up with the "He just wants the money" angle. After 15 years of medical bills and 5 years of legal bills, how is there gonna be any money left?

Also, can somebody please discuss the miracle therapies that are going to improve this woman's life?

I like how on the late night news programs they kept comparing this woman to celebrities and other people who were in light comas for maybe a year or less and even so didn't completely return with all of their motor and cognitive skills intact. Considering this woman's been a carrot for ALMOST AN ENTIRE FUCKING GENERATION, I seriously doubt that draining Mr. Schiavo's bank account for another 20 years is going to make her suddenly pop up and be a fully functioning 30 year old again, no matter how many idiots holding water outside the clinic want to believe. Congress should never have gotten into this ( I have the nagging suspicion that this and other bullshit human interest stories are being used to hide the fact that the economy is dead and Iraq is still a clusterfuck) and should just let that woman die in peace

Iceman said:

Before you get all hot and bothered, let me just say that I understand where you guys are coming from ... I know why you have these points of view. It doesn't make it any more reasonable in my mind but at least I can wrap my head around it and converse with people about it. But doesn't it kind of hurt communication when you narrow down debates by marginalizing the other side's positions with such extreme language?

It would be one thing having a discussion with you if you were in full possession of the facts of the case. But as is the problem with most "save Terri!", "the husband is teh sketchy!" posters in this thread, you're grossly, grossly misinformed.

Azih

Really in this case the pro feeding tube side has no real argument. They're just repeating republican talking points. The problem is that none of the talking points here have any basis in reality. The "repeat it enough times and it'll become true" strategy doesn't seem to be working in the face of such blatant fallacy. The worst part of all of this is how viciously Michael Schavio got slandered, repubs have no problem with destroying a man's reputation to play their political wedge games.

If you don't agree with the Republicans you're playing god with her life. They weren't playing god when they decided to circumvent her death via keeping here alive with a feeding tube. I guess only god can decide when someone dies, and it's the Republican's job to tell god when he is wrong?

This is nothing more than a political stunt to try and drag Democrats through the mud on the pro-life issue. Bush sure didn't mind executing a mentally challenged man when he was the Texas governor. I guess life is only precious to Republicans when you can gain from it, right?

Sal Paradise Jr said:
The US Supreme Court has rejected the appeal.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/24/schiavo/index.html

Maybe now this whole thing can soon come to an end, and Terri Schiavo can die in peace like she should have long ago.

Like the Republicans care. This wasn't about Terri Shiavo. Either way they have won. If the parents would have won the appeal it would have been, "We saved this woman's life from these heartless Democrats." Now it'll be, "These murderous Democrats have killed this poor woman." Republicans have it good.

olimario

Banned
IS SHE REALLY IN TVS? IF NOT, CAN'T SHE BE HELPED?
Nurses came forward and said
-they were able to give her water and she was able to swallow by herself
-they gave her jello which she was able to swallow
-she became happy when they would give her juice instead of water
-she felt pain during her menstral cycle and would hold her stomach
-she responded when a doctor prodded her and began to moan after he said he would do it again
-she closes her eyes during prayer and opens them afterwards

It's really sick that she's being starved to death if any of this is true.
Jeb Bush better stop this and investigate further.

darscot

Even if everything the people trying to "Save" her life have said is true. She still should be allowed to die. Even if she was completely aware and trapped in a disabled body after 15 years like that she would be completely and utterly lost. The human brain can't go on like that when healthy let alone when massively disabled. If the only thing I was capable of was blinking after 15 years I wouldn't care if you lit me on fire just end it already. For the record this women is gone, the only people that see any signs from her are those that cant let go.

olimario said:
-she responded when a doctor prodded her and began to moan after he said he would do it again

HER BRAIN IS LIQUID! LIQUID!

ge-man

Cerebral Palsy said:
Like the Republicans care. This wasn't about Terri Shiavo. Either way they have won. If the parents would have won the appeal it would have been, "We saved this woman's life from these heartless Democrats." Now it'll be, "These murderous Democrats have killed this poor woman." Republicans have it good.

I figured that was mainly what the plan was--pinned the Democratic Party down with a tough issue while at the same time use this false showing of principle to help the Republican Party recover on issues like Social Security. Americans aren't buying the bullshit this time, however.

This is why this whole thing annoys me:

"There is no legislative and legal option open to us now. ... Gov. Bush is now the only practical hope for Terri Schiavo. Let us pray now for that," said the Rev. Patrick Mahoney, a Schindler family advocate.

No legislative or legal option? IT'S OVER. YOUR SIDE LOST. It's time to accept it. You've done everything you could (and possibly shouldn't been able to). Everyday in a court room, there's going to be one side that doesn't think the law was on their side. Today (and numerous times before) you were on the losing side. And I'm tired of all these people who can't see that this family obviously does not have the law on this side.

Now, will these parents now lead a fight to change the law? I hope so, because if not, all they were were meddling people who didn't want to believe their own daughter's wishes. And I hate meddlers like that.

ge-man

olimario said:

There's nothing to investigate. It's already been covered a thousands times, but I will say it again--Terri Schiavo has lost a huge portion of her brain. Responding to external stimuli does not prove cognition. Don't believe what you are hearing in the media, these people will outright lie to make their point. Courts have looked at the many times and agreed that she is in a vegetative state and that she did tell her husband that she did not want to stay in such a state forever.

all these attention whores grandstanding outside the supreme court and the hospice turning this into a circus should be ashamed. THere are thousands of people (and CHILDREN) who are actually ALIVE and ABLE who are really starving to death in this country and all around the world, and here they finally get out and put up an effort for a fucking vegetable.

olimario

Banned
I don't understand how, if she is in such a state, a court could conclude her wishes about being in such a state. It doesn't make sense.

And if she can swallow water and jello on her own, isn't it against the law that they withold her nourishment?

If she can not only feel pain but understand what pain is... and if she can understand simple concepts like closing your eyes while praying... it shows there is some kind of hope there and that she isn't totally out of it.

And everything I've heard about Michael makes him sound like a scumbag.

oli, those stories are embellishments or outright fabrications. Did your pastor get you all jonesed up on this? The "prayer" stories should cue you in to the fact that you're being emotionally manipulated and that your religious preferences are being preyed upon. Think!

"everything you've heard about michael" -- gee, wonder what your sources were, eh?

olimario

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
oli, those stories are embellishments or outright fabrications. Did your pastor get you all jonesed up on this?

"everything you've heard about michael" -- gee, wonder what your sources were, eh?

How do you know they are outright fabrications?
EDIT: I don't understand why hope is being abandoned. No faith in stem cells and future medical breakthroughs?
I've heard a case of a girl with half a brain who functions normally. The other half of her head is full of liquid.

theo

Contest Winner
ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE

Why do people make such a fuss over a braindead woman who has contributed nothing to society for the past 15 years???

olimario said:
And everything I've heard about Michael makes him sound like a scumbag.

stop watching fox news then

olimario

Banned
theo said:
ITS ALL OVER PEOPLE

Why do people make such a fuss over a braindead woman who has contributed nothing to society for the past 15 years???

stop watching fox news then

Sorry... I should watch Larry King who does the opposite. Michael is JESUS INCARNATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom