• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 12th - Philippines v. China: Court Ruling on South China Sea case coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

random25

The thing about this is that if only China didn't claim the area like a bully they are, there wouldn't be a big dispute in the first place. That area has been disputed by many countries a long time ago, but that area has remained "open", as in fishermen from the claimants can openly fish there without hostilities. So even if many are stating that they own the place, there's really no tension or aggression of this scale from the nearby countries.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
You don't just draw a dick in the ocean just because of history.

If several countries are claiming parts of this Chinese ocean dick, then history alone shouldn't be the sole reason to draw said ocean dick.

The international courts do not agree with you. This is precisely what the court ruling in Hague will be based on. Historical claims.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is the landmass in Mediterranean in dispute? No? Then no problem.

We are talking about disputed landmasses here.

Greece and Italy actually controlled populated areas.

800px-Justinian555AD.png

Control is the key. That China drew the dick through the waters of several other countries prior means absolutely nothing and they're only getting away with this because they're China. They don't actually have a leg to stand on.

darkwing

The thing about this is that if only China didn't claim the area like a bully they are, there wouldn't be a big dispute in the first place. That area has been disputed by many countries a long time ago, but that area has remained "open", as in fishermen from the claimants can openly fish there without hostilities. So even if many are stating that they own the place, there's really no tension or aggression of this scale from the nearby countries.

it's not really open now, China has been harassing fishermen that are not their own

numble

Does Italy get to claim the whole of the Mediterranean, too?

Yeah, exactly. Those maps mean nothing.

The ironic thing is that there has also been disputes with Italy, the United Kingdom, Spain and France over rocks in the Mediterranean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Island_(Sicily)#Dispute

Graham Island was subject to a four-way dispute over its sovereignty, originally claimed for the United Kingdom and given the name Graham Island. The King of the Two Sicilies, Ferdinand II, after whom Sicilians named the island Ferdinandea, sent ships to the nascent island to claim it for the Bourbon crown. The French Navy also made a landing, and called the island Julia. Spain also declared its territorial ambitions. Each wanted the island for its useful position in the Mediterranean trade route (to England and France) and its close position to Spain and Italy.

For five months conflict raged in newspapers and elsewhere as the different nations fought over a roughly 60-metre-high (200 ft) piece of basalt. Tourists traveled to the island to see its two small lakes. Sailors watched it when passing by, and nobles of the House of Bourbon reportedly planned to set up a holiday resort on its beaches. None of these ideas came to fruition, however, as the island soon sank back beneath the waters. By December 17, 1831, officials reported no trace of it. As dynamically as the seamount appeared, it disappeared, defusing the conflict with it.

Why would the UK, Spain and France claim sovereignty over such rocks? Based on historical claims on who landed on the rocks first, as that is the established rule. This is the same reason why the UK has sovereignty over islands throughout the world.

The ruling today will say at a baseline say that historical claims are very important, but they may assess certain historical claims as being unreliable, inaccurate or faulty.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Greece and Italy actually controlled populated areas.

800px-Justinian555AD.png

Control is the key. That China drew the dick through the waters of several other countries prior means absolutely nothing and they're only getting away with this because they're China. They don't actually have a leg to stand on.

The british colonising north america also had no leg to stand on. But here we are. That's history for you. If China decides the strong arm their way and philipines loses. They will own the island. They are not going to do that because they are not really worth it though.

Pancake Mix

The ironic thing is that there has also been disputes with Italy, the United Kingdom, Spain and France over rocks in the Mediterranean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Island_(Sicily)#Dispute

Why would the UK, Spain and France claim sovereignty over such rocks? Based on historical claims on who landed on the rocks first, as that is the established rule.

The ruling today will say at a baseline say that historical claims are very important, but they may assess certain historical claims as being unreliable, inaccurate or faulty.

I think you're misunderstanding what most of the "islands" here were. Nobody really landed on them, and every country and colonial power nearby probably thought they were theirs.

The british colonising North america also had no leg to stand on. But here we are. That's history for you.

Control. That's a leg to stand on. China is claiming what have essentially been nothing but neutral fishing waters for a very long time.

numble

I think you're misunderstanding what most of the "islands" here were. Nobody really landed on them

The Chinese claims are based on historical landings and even Chinese artifacts on the rocks/islands. Is your claim that they are lying that they landed on them, or that they are not claiming they landed on them? They certainly are claiming that they landed on them. The claim for control over the seas in the area are derived from the claim for the islands/rocks in the area, since a country's territorial sea boundary extends from its land mass (including its islands).

Pancake Mix

The Chinese claims are based on historical landings and even Chinese artifacts on the rocks/islands. Is your claim that they are lying that they landed on them, or that they are not claiming they landed on them? They certainly are claiming that they landed on them.

China's claim on Scarborough Shoal is literally because of one point on an ancient map which was very likely in Central Vietnam, which China also has no right to. In fact, China has claimed that point to be in the Paracel Islands in the past. It means nothing, and China didn't control the area.

Also, got any (non-Chinese) receipts for any significant concentration of Chinese (and only Chinese for that matter) artifacts on the islands?

Those islands aren't actually China's, so they have no right to the waters. Unfortunately, China will ignore The Hague's decision.

darkwing

I love how it is literally the shape of a penis.

Also... is no one can enforce it.... .....

It's like the UN condemning shit. No one cares UN, you have no power.

yup, there are already Chinese ports, airfields, lighthouse on the disputed islands, no one is going to make them leave

numble

China's claim on Scarborough Shoal is literally because of one point on an ancient map which was very likely in Central Vietnam, which China also has no right to. In fact, China has claimed that point to be in the Paracel Islands in the past. It means nothing, and China didn't control the area.

Also, got any (non-Chinese) receipts for any significant concentration of Chinese (and only Chinese for that matter) artifacts on the islands?

Those islands aren't actually China's, so they have no right to the waters. Unfortunately, China will ignore The Hague's decision.

I am not making an argument that their claim is correct, just that their claim is based on landings and Chinese artifacts.

You said I was misunderstanding the claim by making an analogy to the claims by the UK, Italy, Spain and France over Graham Island (which was based on landings on the rock).

I have no interest in arguing one side or the other, just that we understand what the claims are.

Simplet

I am not making an argument that their claim is correct, just that their claim is based on landings and Chinese artifacts.

You said I was misunderstanding the claim by making an analogy to the claims by the UK, Italy, Spain and France over Graham Island (which was based on landings on the rock).

I have no interest in arguing one side or the other, just that we understand what the claims are.

Well your analogy is still misleading, because China is not claming that the "islands" (since most of the actual bodies of land in the south China sea are not actually islands, since they are submerged during high tide)are theirs because they recently lqnded on it, they're claiming they are theirs because some Chinese people might have landed on them centuries ago, and then left them untouched for hundreds of years. Those are two very different types of claims.

The Chinese claims are based on historical landings and even Chinese artifacts on the rocks/islands. Is your claim that they are lying that they landed on them, or that they are not claiming they landed on them? They certainly are claiming that they landed on them. The claim for control over the seas in the area are derived from the claim for the islands/rocks in the area, since a country's territorial sea boundary extends from its land mass (including its islands).

Chinese artifacts? You do know these things are barely islands, right?

WaterAstro

inb4 China has "ancient artifacts" detailing their control over the entire world, the moon, and Mars.

chinadon'tcare.gif

numble

Well your analogy is still misleading, because China is not claming that the "islands" (since most of the actual bodies of land in the south China sea are not actually islands but shoals, since they are submerged during high tide)are theirs because they recently lqnded on it, they're claiming they are theirs because some Chinese people might have landed on them centuries ago, and then left them untouched for hundreds of years. Those are two very different types of claims.

No, you are misunderstanding the claim. I think the analogy is correct because the Graham Island claim is based on historical landings.

The Chinese claim is that they had landed on the islands/rocks in the past and had continually exercised sovereignty over them. Now, we may dispute whether or not that is accurate factual accounting, but we should not misconstrue the claim.

Chinese artifacts? You do know these things are barely islands, right?

Graham Island was also just a basalt rock. I have used the term "rocks/islands" often to acknowledge that they may just be rocks.

Pancake Mix

Graham Island was also just a basalt rock. I have used the term "rocks/islands" often to acknowledge that they may just be rocks.

Again, you're misunderstanding, most of these are submerged at high tide...we're not talking about rocks.

No, you are misunderstanding the claim. I think the analogy is correct because the Graham Island claim is based on historical landings.

The Chinese claim is that they had landed on the islands/rocks in the past and had continually exercised sovereignty over them. Now, we may dispute whether or not that is accurate factual accounting, but we should not misconstrue the claim.

This claim wouldn't be so disingenuous if they were only claiming some parts of it. But the Chinese is claiming all of it, using historical reasons when that goes back centuries, or thousands of years. I find it hard to believe that there has been a continuous Chinese presence on these islands for how many long years they are claiming when even the Chinese themselves have had various empires and fiefdoms in their history. Not to mention the various polities, kingdoms and other political units geographically closer to the area that rose and fell during this time that no longer exist but are part of modern day nation states in the area. The current Chinese claim was literally drawn on the map and someone said 'these are ours'.

Drazgul

Might makes right as usual. Even if those other countries formed an alliance against China, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Simplet

The claim that they had continous sovereignty over the area is completely self-defeating. The "closed door" was official policy for much of the qing dynasty, and after they abandonned that they were under the unequal treaties with the western powers, they had no capacity whatsoever to maintain sovereignty.

Davilmar

The Vietnamese claim is pretty outrageous, lol

China is a major world-power, and a regional super-power.

Countries that powerful tend to not give a shit about their neighbours or what external political entities think about them; national interests trump all other concerns.

That goes with out saying, but that viewpoint is myopic. China would be incredibly stupid to openly dismiss and thumb their noses at their neighbors. That attitude will only further push its neighbors into the hands of the United States. If anything else, having more cooperation with disputing nations would go a long way to building good will, and further pushing its economic and military interests without the headaches of international bad will.

I can oboviously neither confirm or deny the following information but according to news reports in the last years, Xi made sure that the people behind him are folks he can trust. Others, who seemed otherwise, disappered or ended up in prison. That's just stuff I read on the internet. Please don't blame the messenger.

From what I have been gathering, Xi has made numerous moves to remove loyalists to both Hu Jintao and Jiang Zemin. That would further expand his influence over both the military and political apparatus of the Chinese Communist Party. I have nothing at all to blame you for. It is just hard to get good and reliable information out of China.

numble

The claim that they had continous sovereignty over the area is completely self-defeating. The "closed door" was official policy for much of the qing dynasty, and after they abandonned that they were under the unequal treaties with the western powers, they had no capacity whatsoever to maintain sovereignty.

The actual display of control is actually not as relevant with regard to sovereignty under international law, the intention to be sovereign and the recognition of others states with regard to that sovereignty (including lack of protest) is more relevant (and of course on these points, I don't think they really fall in China's favor, in my opinion). The easy example would be Hong Kong--China continually displayed an intention to include it as sovereign territory and other nations recognized the claim, even when it was controlled by the UK. A more controversial example, is Taiwan, which is recognized by other nations as Chinese territory even though it is not controlled by China.

The same Permanent Court of Arbitration stated this in the Las Palmas case:
http://legal.un.org/riaa/cases/vol_II/829-871.pdf

Although continuous in principle, sovereignty cannot be exercised in fact at every moment on every point of a territory. The intermittence and discontinuity compatible with the maintenance of the right necessarily differ according as inhabited or uninhabited regions are involved, or regions enclosed within territories in which sovereignty is incontestably displayed or again regions accessible from, for instance, the high seas.

Qvoth

Like I said earlier, this court doesn't have the power to enforce the rulings or something like that
Pretty sure nothing's gonna change, China will continue building whatever they're building

How does the rock logic work for silly places like The Principality of Sealand?

edit on wiki says

The United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea in force since 1994 states "Artificial islands, installations and structures do not possess the status of islands. They have no territorial sea of their own, and their presence does not affect the delimitation of the territorial sea, the exclusive economic zone or the continental shelf

Pepboy

Here is the press release and decision:
https://pca-cpa.org/en/news/pca-pre...-philippines-v-the-peoples-republic-of-china/

TLDR: The "islands" are rocks and are not capable of extending sovereignty.

Going to dive into reading it but I worry this sets a bad precedent. Now China just needs to make them bigger than other existing islands. Once it does that, it can say there was no sovereignty there previously (as established internationally) and they were the first ones to step upon the newly built island.

random25

It would be interesting to see how this plays out. With the current Philippine administration and the Chinese ambassador to the country getting all mushy in the background, I'm expecting some "joint venture" happening on those resources-rich areas because of this decision. Not that the Philippines have the firepower to even drive the trespassers away or that China respects these court rulings anyway.

And of course there's this "what would the US do now?" question.

numble

Going to dive into reading it but I worry this sets a bad precedent. Now China just needs to make them bigger than other existing islands. Once it does that, it can say there was no sovereignty there previously (as established internationally) and they were the first ones to step upon the newly built island.

Artificial islands don't count.

brian577

Banned
It would be interesting to see how this plays out. With the current Philippine administration and the Chinese ambassador to the country getting all mushy in the background, I'm expecting some "joint venture" happening on those resources-rich areas because of this decision. Not that the Philippines have the firepower to even drive the trespassers away or that China respects these court rulings anyway.

And of course there's this "what would the US do now?" question.

You act as if the US has ever needed UN approval to do anything. The answer is of course, nothing. They'll continue their freedom of navigation missions and nothing will change.

random25

You act as if the US has ever needed UN approval to do anything. The answer is of course, nothing. They'll continue their freedom of navigation missions and nothing will change.

They have their own interest in this, obviously. But it's more on how the US will take a stand in this issue now that the ruling has been handed down. I don't doubt that they also are interested in the resources there, aside from their ties between the two Asian countries. If the decision favored China, they won't really do anything about it. But now that the decision favored the Philippines, we might see them get a little more involved than ever on this issue as it may affect their interests on the matter.

I love the Xinhua headline.

Law-abusing tribunal issues ill-founded award on South China Sea arbitration

MANILA, July 12 (Xinhua) -- The tribunal handling the South China Sea arbitration case unilaterally initiated by the former Philippine government issued its final award on Tuesday, amid a global chorus that as the panel has no jurisdiction, its decision is naturally null and void.

Lol. A global chorus! Chinese state media always comes across as so shrill and hysterical, like children having a temper tantrum.

brian577

Banned
They have their own interest in this, obviously. But it's more on how the US will take a stand in this issue now that the ruling has been handed down. I don't doubt that they also are interested in the resources there, aside from their ties between the two Asian countries. If the decision favored China, they won't really do anything about it. But now that the decision favored the Philippines, we might see them get a little more involved than ever on this issue as it may affect their interests on the matter.

Because pissing off their biggest trading partner is totally worth a few gas fields right? Even a minor conflict would send ripples through both country's economies.

random25

Because pissing off their biggest trading partner is totally worth a few gas fields right? Even a minor conflict would send ripples through both country's economies.

I'm not saying that their only course of action is to go sinking those Chinese vessels out there. For all we know, they might be planning to be a part of sharing the pie, so to speak. That's why it would be interesting to see what they'll do because while China is their current biggest ally, they are also their biggest threat especially in their influence in the East Asian regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom