• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008: Battleground for PC Graphics - Geforce GTX 200 v Radeon HD 4800

artist

Banned
Cliffsnotes:

NVIDIA
* GT200, G100, G10U will now be known as the Geforce GTX 200 series
* June 18 launch
* Two models at launch: GTX 280 & GTX 260
* Unknown pricing
* The full core is expected to have 240SPs (compared to 128 in G92/G80) & 512-bit memory interface
* Most likely using GDDR3/4

AMD
* RV770 will end up as the Radeon HD 4800 series
* RV770 most likely has 480 SPs (compared to 320 in RV670/R600), 32 TMUs (doubled) & 512-bit
* 4850 launch on June 16, will use GDDR3 and priced at $229
* 4870 paper launch on June 23, will use GDDR5 and priced at $349
* 4870X2 will have a better inter-core communication, new tech
* 4870X2 is expected to launch in September, priced at $549

Information leaking! Radeon HD 4800 VS. GeForce GTX 200!

We learned from HKEPC that long subsided graphics card market will break out again, NVIDIA and AMD will both introduce an entirely new generation of high-end graphics cards in June. AMD will introduce the new ATI Radeon HD 4800 family, and for the first time it will use GDDR5 video memory. NVIDIA will introduce so-called second-generation Unified Shader the GeForce GTX 200 family, to secure hegemony in high-end graphics cards market.

According to Taiwan's graphics cards maker, on June 16 AMD plans to release the new ATI Radeon HD 4800 family, the core code-named RV770, the first introduced model is ATI Radeon HD 4850, the numbers of Shader Processing Units will be 480, using GDDR3 video memory, the price is about $ 229 U.S. dollars.

June 23, AMD will release ATI Radeon HD 4870, its specifications will be the same as Radeon HD 4850, but the core clock will be further improved, and video memory will switch to the new GDDR5, its price will be at $ 349 U.S. dollars.

However, industry noted that the release of ATI Radeon HD 4870 at June 23 will be Paper Launch, the official shipping date will be slightly delayed, mainly because GDDR5 memory supply shortage. The supply of GDDR5 video memory will be key point for the situation of Radeon HD 4870 availability.

In addition, AMD also plans to introduce a new generation of dual-chip graphics cards-R700, or ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2, it’s expected to formally be shipped at the end of the third quarter to the beginning of the fourth quarter, the price is about $ 549 U.S. dollars.

Facing a new generation of AMD Radeon HD 4800s, NVIDIA dare not neglect, in the June 18, it will launch brand new GeForce GTX 200 series, high-end graphics card to secure hegemony. The code name once was G100, then was GT200, now officially known as D10U, meaning the 10th generation of the Ultra graphics chip, and the product name is also changed from GeForce 9900 family to GeForce GTX 200 family, which means the second generation of Unified Shader architecture, it will market a new market image.

It's said that, GeForce GTX 200 will be launched with two models, including the GeForce GTX 260 and GeForce GTX 280, but the price, specifications have not yet announced.

http://r800.blogspot.com/search/label/3DMARK NVIDIA ATI VANTAGE 3D

ATI Radeon 4800 launch details: Meet (Terry) Makedon and Trojan (Horse)

TG Daily Exclusive – We previously published several details about AMD’s next-generation graphics card lineup and as we get closer to the launch we are getting more details about the launch date, feature set and prices. The good news: The new boards will come with “physics processing capability” and prices that will start below $200 for a 512 MB board. The bad news: The 4800 series will launch after Nvidia’s GT200.

Yes, we know, we previously said that the 4800 series would launch in May, but as it stands right now, we won’t be seeing the first new cards until mid-June. According To AMD’s current introduction schedule, the Radeon 4800 series will launch in week 25, which puts the day of the introduction somewhere between June 15 and June 22. What is significant about this time frame is that ATI will trail Nvidia and their new high-end chip GT200.

This comes as a major surprise, because it was widely expected that ATI will debut its RV770 chip first, followed by Nvidia's summer part. But as it stands right now, Nvidia has the pole position in a new round of the graphics wars. Of course, the GT200 and RV770 are actually not entirely comparable, because of their huge price difference. But performance-wise, we're in for a possibly close race.

ATI's Radeon 4800 series will be introduced in three flavors - as 4850, 4870 and 4870 X2. The company will also offer a “4850 256MB” (as opposed to 512 MB in other versions), but this SKU is a so-called "option" and is geared towards to the OEM/ODM/SI crowd to support them with cheaper parts for the back-to-school period and beyond.

The Radeon 4850, code-named “Makedon,” is AMD's launch board. The name, by the way, is likely to refer to Terry "Catalyst" Makedon, group manager for software and video in the AMD (ATI) graphics division. Of course, there is a small chance that Alexander The Great (Alexandros Megas, Alexandar Makedonski) may have influenced the naming, but somehow we feel that Terry has won this time.

The 4850 board features 512 MB of GDDR3 memory and is expected to be available in volume at launch. We heard that card vendors will start printing their boxes next week, which means that the specifications are final at this time. According to our sources, the 4850 will come with single-slot cooling; CrossFireX is supported with up to four boards in a single system (if you have the appropriate board based on AMD 790FX, 790GX, Intel Skulltrail, X48) and each board will require a single 6-pin PCIe power connector.

AMD will follow up in July and launch the Radeon 4870 512 MB GDDR5 and the 4870 X2 1024 MB GDDR5 (R700). The Radeon 4870 chip is built onto a board codenamed “Trojan” (could be named after a condom brand or a horse; we pick the latter) and comes with a dual-slot cooler, following the tradition of earlier XX70 boards. Our previous information about the memory buffer was a bit inaccurate, since the cost of Qimonda's GDDR5 memory apparently was not compatible with the targeted pricing of these cards. The 4870 includes 512MB GDDR5 memory and surpasses upcoming Nvidia cards in terms of bandwidth. However, if any ATI partner wants to build a 1024 MB GDDR5 board, ATI will not say no, we were told. But don't expect this to happen until early fall, since everybody wants to move as many units as possible.

In terms of performance, we heard some interesting claims. A 4870 should perform on par with or better than a dual-chip 3870 X2. Our sources explained to us that using a PCIe Gen1 controller 3870 X2 was a mistake, since the board was hungry for data and didn't sync well with this interface. Don’t expect the ATI team to repeat that mistake with the 4870 X2. However, we admit that we have no idea what kind of connection two RV770 GPUs will have.

Looking at features, ATI will promote DirectX 10.1, PCI Express 2.0, dynamic geometry acceleration and other functions that were introduced with the Radeon 3800 series. What surprises us is that the manufacturer is highlighting a "Game physics processing capability" in its launch materials. Since ATI didn't bid for Havok (which ended up in Intel’s lap) and Nvidia snapped up PhysX we wonder who provides a physics engine for ATI. Perhaps the company took a completely different direction and it simply expanded its GPGPU capabilities from professional FireStream cards to the desktop.

The Radeon 4800 series also includes 7.1 channel-via-HDMI support and color output also got a “significant” boost, our sources said. We were unable to confirm HDMI 1.3 support, but we would not be surprised if that in fact is the case. The Unified Video Decoder is now in generation 2 and is called "UVD2".

Every aspect of the GPU is monitored by PowerPlay, since ATI will be very aggressive on the power side: The boards have been designed with power in mind and the 4850/4870 won't require 8+6-pin combinations (exception: The dual-GPU 4870 X2). Power supply requirements call for a 450 watt unit for a single card and a 550 watt version for two cards. Given the fact that ATI has to state this for PoS power supplies, CrossFire should do just fine with a top notch 400 watt power supply.

Let’s talk about pricing. AMD decided to remain aggressive in an effort to win back market share. Pricing is actually set to a point where Nvidia is unlikely to be able to compete (that is at least what somebody is hoping for). Pricing guidelines are not finalized at this time, but according to several sources, the Radeon 4850 will succeed the 3850 512MB and should cost about $189-$219 at launch. Our sources indicated that 4870 GDDR5 cards will cost between $249 and $279, but somehow we feel that AMD might aim go for $199 and $249 at launch.

Given the current market, these prices could stir up the market and create quite a circus. Radeon cards could be getting lots of design wins for the back-to-school market, but our sources warned us that ATI is a bit late to the party. Qualifying of systems takes time, and tens of thousands of machines take time to be manufactured and shipped to North America. For Europe, things are more lenient, since nobody works in August and schools/universities start in September or October.

All in all, ATI will have one helluwa June and July. All eyes are now on Nvidia: Will Nvidia create a decent competitor for the sub-$300 range (55nm G92 is being prepared), or will AMD/ATI will gain market share?

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-37453-135.html

GHG

Gold Member
The reason I'm holding off buying a new GPU for now. I have my eye firmly set on the 4850.

Pachael

GHG said:
The reason I'm holding off buying a new GPU for now. I have my eye firmly set on the 4850.

So do I - unless the 4800 series is seriously behind the new GTX 200s for similar price range.

artist

Banned
Pachael said:
So do I - unless the 4800 series is seriously behind the new GTX 200s for similar price range.
The GTX 200 series and the 4870/4850 will be in a different price segment; purely for performance reasons.

IMO GTX 280 will be as faster than the 9800GX2 and the 4870/4850 will be faster than the 9800GTX. So it will come down to how much you are willing to spend.

Rezbit

Man, these numbers are getting fucking confusing. So Geforce is starting it's 3rd lap of heading towards 10000? I used to be able to keep up with this stuff...now I have no idea what's good or what's bad.

i couldn't afford a 8800gt because i had to build/buy my PC from scratch. So i got a 3850.

What a great piece of price/performance awesomeness is.
I am probably getting a 4870x2 in september.

FirewalkR

The question is: will either of these have Crysis very high for breakfast, while calmly reading the newspaper and getting ready for some real work?

Scotch

Nice. One of them will probably be my next card, although I will wait a while. Let's see how my X1950 Pro handles Empire:TW first.

I'll probably jump in if I decide to move up to a 24" LCD. Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot out there this year that looks like it is going to need that kind of firepower. That's assuming that the current lol trend of sub-720p rendering on the console games doesn't get worse-if it does, we'll need more PC power to get the super visuals when we actually natively render the PC ports of those games at HD and higher resolutions.

artist

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
I'll probably jump in if I decide to move up to a 24" LCD. Other than that, there really isn't a whole lot out there this year that looks like it is going to need that kind of firepower. That's assuming that the current lol trend of sub-720p rendering on the console games doesn't get worse-if it does, we'll need more PC power to get the super visuals when we actually natively render the PC ports of those games at HD and higher resolutions.
I moved from a 20" LCD (1680x1050) to a 42" 1080p set. Now I usually game at 720p, mainly because my 8800GT lacks the power. Personally I prefer this over the 20" LCD, I also get better performance too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just seriously canceled my NewEgg GeForce 8800GT order before they shipped it. Thanks for this. Probably means prices will drop some more..... saved!!

irfan said:
I moved from a 20" LCD (1680x1050) to a 42" 1080p set. Now I usually game at 720p, mainly because my 8800GT lacks the power. Personally I prefer this over the 20" LCD, I also get better performance too.

Yeah if you are running in native 1080p the new cards are definitely an attractive option over the power-hungry alternatives like SLI to drive the newer games at that resolution.

I think this week's three day binge of NASCAR Season 2003 has somewhat dulled my usual lust for new and more powerful video cards!

Cheeto

Must wait for benchmarks... after all the pie-in-the-sky numbers that ATi was releasing and the disappointing benchmarks that followed.

bee

i'll be waiting for the single chip 1gb cards, 512mb isn't enough for a high end next gen card

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SRG01 said:
I have a feeling that the 4850 will be the new 8800GT. :D
I don't even think NVidia expected that much performance from the 8800GT. It did bizarre things to the market due to its price/performance ratio.

Cheeto

SRG01 said:
I have a feeling that the 4850 will be the new 8800GT. :D
I'm skeptical, I remember look at specs for the HD2xxx and 3xxx series and thinking that they were going to be the second coming...and we know how that turned out.

SRG01

SapientWolf said:
I don't even think NVidia expected that much performance from the 8800GT. It did bizarre things to the market due to its price/performance ratio.

You mean like making every other card on the market not worth the price/performance ratio? :lol

I mean seriously, there's absolutely no point in getting a 9600GT, 3850/70, G92 8800GTS etc simply because of how affordable the card is.

Cheeto said:
I'm skeptical, I remember look at specs for the HD2xxx and 3xxx series and thinking that they were going to be the second coming...and we know how that turned out.

I actually had near-zero confidence at the HD series for some reason. It didn't seem like a significant step-up from previous technology.

The 4xxx series, on the other hand, seems like genuinely different tech.

Mamesj

Banned
maybe I'll pick one up for Fallout 3?

I dunno, my 8800GTS 512mb is still sitting pretty. no maxed crysis, but w/e, I can live with 30 fps at 1280x720.

artist

Banned
pswii60 said:
wtf is 'cliffsnotes'?
Summary.

Cheeto said:
I can agree on R600, it looked good on paper but RV670 didnt suffer from failing to meet its pre-launch hype. RV670 delivered, which is why AMD recovered from the deep hole left by R600.

SapientWolf said:
You can attribute it to AMD. Full credit to them for giving a full R600 for sub $249 price segment. It caught Nvidia off guard and they had to up the amount of SPs in the 8800GT. :D

Wii said:
How many nuclear power plants do I need to buy to power one of these beasts?
IMO, these are all my guesstimates based on the rumored die sizes and clocks:

RV770 = RV670 + 30% more power requirement
GT200 = G92 + 50% more power requirement

SRG01

Kintaro said:
Hmmm...do I pull the trigger on a 8800 GT now or wait till these hit..

Wait until the early benchmarks show up, which won't take long.

To be fair, the 8800GT is a good buy no matter what time it is. The price is affordable enough for an impulse buy. :lol

Cheeto

Kintaro said:
Hmmm...do I pull the trigger on a 8800 GT now or wait till these hit..
You pull trigger now and get a EVGA 8800GT, then you get one the new cards for the difference if they're good.

artist

Banned
Cheeto said:
You pull trigger now and get a EVGA 8800GT, then you get one the new cards for the difference if they're good.
What if the 4850 is the new 8800GT? :p

Good idea if you want to stick with Nvidia.

Cheeto

I just don't see Nvidia turning around and sticking their ass in the air to ATi after their performance in the past year.

ATi might make a better card but I don't think that it'll be like the difference between the original 8xxx series and the HD2xxx.

"I just don't see Nvidia turning around and sticking their ass in the air to ATi after their performance in the past year."

The GeforceFX line followed the legendary Ti4200.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Teknopathetic said:
"I just don't see Nvidia turning around and sticking their ass in the air to ATi after their performance in the past year."

The GeforceFX line followed the legendary Ti4200.
What was so legendary about the Ti4200? The 9700 Pro pretty much beat it in every bench and also added DX9 support. Crysis might even be playable on it at the lowest settings, which is just nuts for a card released almost 7 years ago.

Top Bottom