• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"June Xbox One software dev kit gives devs access to more GPU bandwidth."

1.17 -> 1.84 = 0.67 TFlops difference
1.31 -> 1.84 = 0.53 TFlops difference

Xbox net gain = 0.14 Tflops

How did you end up with 1.17?

1.28TF - 10% from Kinect = 1.15TF

Xbox net gain = 0.16 Tflops or a ~15% net gain since its reveal.

Difference from PS4 went from 60% (before the clock boost and accounting for Kinect's -10%) down to 40% as it stands today, unless my math is fuzzy.

velociraptor

How did you end up with 1.17?

1.28TF - 10% from Kinect = 1.15TF

Xbox net gain = 0.16 Tflops or a ~15% net gain since its reveal.

Difference from PS4 went from 60% (before the clock boost and accounting for Kinect's -10%) down to 40% as it stands today, unless my math is fuzzy.
I was under the impression the Xbox One had a 1.31TF GPU, as opposed to 1.28TF GPU.

You're right, 1.17 is incorrect. Subtracting 10% from 1.31 is 1.18TF (rounded up).

So; the Xbox One gains 130Gflops in GPU processing power.

Kayant

Not going to lie, I forgot which big gaming news source said it, but it literally sounded like the "kinectless version would be more powerful than the Kinect version." I knew what they meant, but it really was incredibly misleading

Hahaha yh no surprise it was
polygon
even though they had the complete update from eurogamer. Gaming media some times.....

Head.spawn

Were people really thinking, "If I unplug Kinect my games will boost up in framerate!?" If so, wow. The responses to Nelsons tweet on twitter are kind of funny, like people just automatically assume the dumbest possible scenarios.

Why do you think that snapmode will not work on games which use these 10% ??

This is just the resources saved for Kinect => has nothing to do with snap mode.

It seems people just aren't looking at this from the right angle. To me it's something like, if the developers didn't take advantage of extra Kinect functionality (like the vast majority of games) they still couldn't have used the extra resources in the past, whereas BF4 took advantage of this to feature head-tracking, therefore utilizing the reserved power.

I'm under the assumption that the OS functionality is always there regardless.

I was under the impression the Xbox One had a 1.31TF GPU, as opposed to 1.28TF GPU.

You're right, 1.17 is incorrect. Subtracting 10% from 1.31 is 1.18TF (rounded up).

So; the Xbox One gains 130Gflops in GPU processing power.

It does have 1.31TF, but if you read my entire post, I was talking about the gains since the reveal which didn't include the clock boost at the time.

I just updated my nvidia drivers today and I think it said something about an expected 10% increase in certain titles.

I assume something like that is standard for both consoles and PC. This is being reported as big news, but the truth is that console hardware see gains like this all the time with updates.

slapnuts

*rubs hands together gleefully*

Misterxmedia will be so much fun to read today.

*heads over*

Yup, it has begun. So good.

lol yeah i am pretty sure Misterx (censored)> "jazzed" all over his monitor screen the split second he saw this tweet.

But to be serious: It is good news to hear X1 get some much needed boost because there is nothing that can change the hardware inside the machine. The gpu is quite less powerful than the gpu in PS4. What ever they can do to help the machine cope over the coming years is good news to me as i expect to buy a used X1 later down the road once developers and SDK tools get sorted but some people seem to be overlooking that Sony is also going to be moving forward with their tools...the PS4 was designed specifically with many developers input.

Top Bottom