• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park 3D - They do move in herds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaskade

I can not wait to see this movie in theaters finally. I was only 2 when it came out so I never got to experience it that way. The movie was such a big part of my childhood seeing it in theaters is going to be amazing.

Spielberg at the height of his powers.

I'll never forget seeing this the summer of 1993. I had a knot in my stomach the whole time from fear.

I wonder if there will be a way to see it theatres sans 3D though.

Just put either 2 left lenses or 2 right lenses in one pair of glasses and it'll be 2d :)

I am not a fan of 3D, but I just want to see this in theaters again. I have such fond memories of seeing it with my Dad and brother when it first came out.

TedNindo

Oh god. It's 20 years old? fuck

First movie I remember seeing in the theater btw. It's crazy how well the animatronics hold up even compared to modern CG.

But man did that trailer make me feel old.

3 new TV Spots:

Heartbeat

Hold On/Review

Fast

----

Am I going fucking crazy, or did they change/tweak the Tyrannosaurus CG?

4kfG8qm.png

It doesn't look 'better', but I swear it looks different. Sharper/cleaner than the Blu Ray release or something.

Am I going fucking crazy, or did they change/tweak the Tyrannosaurus CG?

4kfG8qm.png

It doesn't look 'better', but I swear it looks different. Sharper/cleaner than the Blu Ray release or something.

Is that shot from the trailer? I can't watch now cause I'm at work. I'll double check when I get home.

The shot you posted definitely looked a little off. Not sure if it's because it's a still frame of a high speed chase sequence, or maybe they did change it. Need to see it in action to determine.

Wow, they completely added in some new sounds:

Entirely new Raptor sounds from about the 1:00-1:05 mark.

Echo when he says "we're back in the car again"

I wonder what else has been changed.. other than the picture quality is a TON better than the grainy Blu Ray release.

ugh I wish they wouldn't fuck around with this film. The echoes in the jeep are fine but those extra velociraptor noises are so unnecessary its just changing shit for no reason. It's something Lucas would do.

antonz

Wow, they completely added in some new sounds:

Entirely new Raptor sounds from about the 1:00-1:05 mark.

Echo when he says "we're back in the car again"

I wonder what else has been changed.. other than the picture quality is a TON better than the grainy Blu Ray release.

The picture quality on the blu ray set is one reason I never bought it as much as I have always been an obsessive Jurassic park geek. At least the 3D Blu Ray of the first movie will look fantastic. Shame the others will be subpar

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not feeling the new sounds. I don't mind a bit of remastering but I considered the Dino vocalizations were perfect. The echo is cheap :/

Whats really jarring about the new Raptor sounds is how we basically never heard them make that sound before, so not only is it new to the scenes, its most new to the movie entirely.

Still freaking pumped.

123rl

Just got an email from Amazon.com saying the Bluray is $35 in Today's Deals! So I've ordered one. It doesn't have a release date in the UK yet (wtf) but it's Universal so it'll be fine

Lol, not only did I get early tickets to see this tomorrow morning, I apparently won tickets to see it early on the 2nd. Kinda funny that the one time I win tickets its when I already got earlier tickets.. not that Im complaining, Ill happily see it more than once! I missed this in theaters as I was too young, so its time to make up for that.

Parents wouldn't let me see this when it was playing at the theaters originally when I was 9. I remember hearing them rave about it and I kept begging them to take me. Funny enough they let me see it right when it came out on video.

Anyway I'm pumped as hell to see this on the big screen finally. You bet your ass I'm seeing it in IMAX too.

Cheebo

Banned
ugh I wish they wouldn't fuck around with this film. The echoes in the jeep are fine but those extra velociraptor noises are so unnecessary its just changing shit for no reason. It's something Lucas would do.

Spielberg does this too, on the Raiders remaster for blu-ray they redid the jeep falling off the cliff in cgi.

Jedi2016

Spielberg does this too, on the Raiders remaster for blu-ray they redid the jeep falling off the cliff in cgi.
No they didn't. That was done years ago for one of the TV releases. Spielberg never liked it, and made sure that it didn't make it onto the Blu-ray. The BD has the original optical effect. I don't think it was Spielberg in any event, it was probably Lucas starting his "tinkering" phase, even though those were never his movies to tinker with.

JP did get a new HD remaster for this release, hence the differences people are seeing. I don't think they had much choice, since the only master they had on file before this was for the DVDs, and wasn't near good enough to pull a good 3D matte from. I imagine the T-Rex change DC mentioned above is just the CG effect looking a bit different without the film grain and blurriness to hide it.

It looks brilliant.

I just streamed this to my Apple TV and watched it in 3D. It's amazing that technology can still impress me like this when it works so well
I can't get this to work on my ps3/3dtv combo... =(

edit: found working ones on the ps3 YT app, but they weren't well done. Still can't wait though.

Just got back from the movie. 3D was AMAZING, sound was great (new sounds ARE in, but I only noticed the Raptors and the echo.. other things felt new, but it was so loud I may have just noticed them for the first time.) Great picture quality, great screening.. the line was huge an nearly an hour before it started and the screening was almost full.. lots of kids, and everyone loved it.

I had a great time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Just got done. 3D post conversion was good, save for some wonkiness when there were lots of reflections and refractions in the car windows, and scenes with heavy mist/fog (specifically the misty lead up to "clever girl" looked like ass). But those are nitpicks, best post conversion to 3D to date, though I would say I am generally opposed to the practice. If they all looked this good I may not complain, but unfortunately crap like Alice in wonder land and avengers is the norm on conversion quality.

Only noticed the sound changes because I knew about them, it wasn't as bad as I feared and the surround mix overall was good.

Didn't expect to become nostalgic/emotional during the brachiosaurus reveal near the beginning. Took me back to being 12 for a minute. Still can't believe this is 20 years old :/

EDIT:also had people cos-playing paleontologists at the screening. lol

Its worth noting that the CG hols up incredibly well- better than the Blu Ray release IMO. The only scenes that looked kinda 'bad' is the green screen effect when Alan is standing pointing at the Brachiosaur, and then the Brachiosaur sneezing on Lex. The rest of the movie looks crazy good. I wish modern CG animals had this level of authenticity (I realize modern CG is way better, but it often suffers from that CG look) .

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So the girlfriend and I were Jurassic Park virgins (well I saw the movie at the movie theater when I was 3, but I barely remember bits and pieces from it) until last night. What a great experience, and what an even better movie. I was almost exhausted myself when they finally ecaped the Island, it is just so engrossing and tense! The first T-Rex scene is probably one of the greatest scenes in a movie I have ever witnessed, even today.

I just wish more people were there. I know it was a Thursday screening, but I counted maybe five other movie-goers walking out when the movie ended. I wish I was older when it first came out so I could remember more what it was like to experience the movie in theaters when it first came out. It most have been mind-blowing at the time.

I can't wait to see this again. I saw it for the first time when I was 8 and my mom and I saw it another 7 times in theater. It's by far the greatest theater experience of my life and I cannot fucking wait to see it again tonight. I love, love, love, love LOVE THIS GODDAMN MOVIE. HYPE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom