• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic Park: The Game |OT| Eventually you might have gameplay in your game, right?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I played some of it. Voice actings kind of... bad, but it's Heavy Rain bad. Writing's not terrible but not great.

I think it's a fun Jurassic Park fan addition, but it's pretty so-so as a game itself. The whole 'looking around and pressing a button' thing works pretty well as a console answer to point n click though, but it takes out the challenge of finding stuff.

hertog

I actually Really liked episode 1. I know it's kind of à bad game, But it's still JP.
Ans that music, I love that music

ArjanN

I actually Really liked episode 1. I know it's kind of à bad game, But it's still JP.
Ans that music, I love that music

After just playing the first episode, I thought it was pretty good, once you accept that it's mostly an interactive movie. At least it's better than the Jurassic Park movie sequels.

I like the technical improvements Telltale make with every game. For example JP has much more dynamic camera work than their previous games.

bengraven

Can someone explain to me why Jurassic Park doesn't deserve a good game based on it?

Sure there's JP: OG which is an under-rated game and people love Trespasser, but Universal just really, really, really doesn't give a fuck who they give this IP to.

Maybe Rocksteady can destroy the preconceptions of yet another IP someday.

BDGAME

Can someone explain to me why Jurassic Park doesn't deserve a good game based on it?

Sure there's JP: OG which is an under-rated game and people love Trespasser, but Universal just really, really, really doesn't give a fuck who they give this IP to.

Maybe Rocksteady can destroy the preconceptions of yet another IP someday.

img_179442722_1315688719_abig.jpg

Play it. Its a good game.

hertog

After just playing the first episode, I thought it was pretty good, once you accept that it's mostly an interactive movie. At least it's better than the Jurassic Park movie sequels.

I like the technical improvements Telltale make with every game. For example JP has much more dynamic camera work than their previous games.

And episode 2 wasn't bad either, maybe the stereotypical soldiers are Pretty annoying

Owzers

Rented the 360 version from gamefly, it really felt like "jurassic park" to me, much more than the two sequels ever hoped to. Problem is, it's not fun to play. I'm almost done with chapter 2 now and i don't really want to progress anymore despite liking the story.

Goldrush

was it the same as the Snes version?

because the Snes version was all kinds of awesome with one of the most memorable soundtracks ever

588410_59709_front.jpg

I have that, but it's impossible without saves.

Beat the game. As someone who was confused by the hates for BttF, I didn't really like this game. I wish someone would just make an Endless Ocean with dinosaurs already.

Yeah, I got it as a prize for the winter hunt. It's a really good interactive film, but the gameplay sucks.

Captain N

I just finished Episode 1 on the 360 and i really enjoyed it. I'd said its mainly because I've got a soft spot for QTEs.

bumpkin

I have that, but it's impossible without saves.

Beat the game. As someone who was confused by the hates for BttF, I didn't really like this game. I wish someone would just make an Endless Ocean with dinosaurs already.
I lost track of how many times I attempted to play through that damn game. I'm pretty sure I eventually just accepted that it was impossible (for me, at least) and spent most of my play-through attempts thereafter coaxing the T-Rex and running for my life. :D

SRTtoZ

So yea I just bought this for PC and I have to admit I really like it. It is definitely WAYY better than BTTF which I was thoroughly dissapointed with. I stopped right after I beat Chapter 2 and thats about 4 hours playtime.

Right now I want to give a big fuck you to Telltale games. Because I've spent the last hour of my life trying to get the game to register me spinning the right analog stick to tighten this stupid bolt to start this damn car battery in episode 1. And restarting the game or checkpoint does nothing.

Edit - Well I gave up. Whatever glitch happened completely broke the game and I have no choice but to take it back.

heringer

So, I got the first episode for free and finished on the iPad. Game itself is pretty shitty, but the story intrigued me. It kept me interested the whole time.

So, how are the other episodes? Is the story worth $3 each episode ($9 total)?

And a bit off topic but, how is The Walking Dead compared to this game?

Tizoc

Got this during a recent sale on US PSN and just finished Ep. 1.
Voice seems fine to me and I liked the atmosphere of the Ep.
Also managed to get all trophies lol.
Will try to finish off the rest of the game by next week.
One thing that irks me though is why the heck this game is so poorly ported on the PS3? Strongbad plays fine and that game totals at 500 MB, yet Ep. 1 has audio desynchs and frame rate issues =_=

Vierphoria

Neo Member
Does this game have any redeeming qualities?

(i.e. Is the story good enough in comparison with the awful gameplay?)

I've cleared the first episode and just started the second (which seems worse). Is there a reason to keep going?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Physical releases on this are starting to go for high prices due to rarity.

Deluxe edition does not seem to be available anywhere.

commedieu

Banned
I hate to admit it, but it really is a fun story so far. And a HEADS UP; Its 99 cents it is currently on the NA/PSN store. (Cant remember if per episode, or all together) I can't believe this, but its entertaining haha. -- And there is frustration with the QTE's when you've had a few drinks -- so its kind of like a 'game' hehe. But, just expect some fun JP lore. There is more effort in telltales story than I've seen in a lot of recent games, which is why this is a stand out for me. Story can trump horrible gameplay mechanics.

Snowguls from metacritic has summed it up perfectly..

snugwuls
Dec 27, 2011
I am a huge fan of the classic graphic adventure gaming genre and a big fan of the Jurassic Park franchise (read both books, loved the first movie, hated the second one, and didn't bother to watch the third one yet). Let me start out by saying that The Jurassic Park: The Game is a GREAT game. It's actually one of the best games that I have played in recent years.

I had been putting off buying this game because of the negative press that Telltale was getting (i.e., the "Jeep" incident and the metacritic allegation), but finally made the purchase on Steam along with Batman: Arkham City at 50% discount. Guess which one of these games I found myself coming back to again and again? Yes, I enjoyed playing JPTG even more so than Arkham City, which I felt was basically a rehash of the excellent first game.

Now to the game itself. First off, to me this game is the epitome of cinematic storytelling done right in a video game. I can't say enough about how immersive the gaming experience was. I haven't played Heavy Rain or Uncharted series since I don't own a PS3 (although I did play Fahrenheit), so I can't compare the game to those established franchises known for superb storytelling, but as far as I am concerned, the plot, cinematography, music, and dialogue were all excellent. This was no doubt possible only through JPTG's heavy reliance on the "quicktime" game play, which I understand has a lot of detractors. However, after playing through the game, I think this type of gameplay was the best (and possibly only) way to tell this story effectively since the JP franchise is so synonymous with thrills and actions. I admit that some of these action sequences were quite challenging and I died a whole lot. But even some of the death sequences (i.e., getting eaten by dinos) were satisfying to watch. The interface also allows "narrating" the story from different perspectives at the same time, which was quite interesting and ingenious in my opinion. Some adventure purists may feel that the inability to move the characters directly restricting, but I personally didn't mind this at all. I played JPTG with my XBox 360 controller and I do highly recommend playing with one. I'd imagine doing those quick time sequences with a mouse/keyboard would be significantly less enjoyable somehow.

The puzzles are extremely well designed. They are logical and realistic, and are seamlessly integrated into the plot. As such, the puzzles don't require cartoonish logic (No "apply molasses to cat hair to make a fake mustache" type of nonsensical puzzles) and often objects that behave realistically like their real-life counterparts.

One of JPTG's strongest suits is its dialogue. The game overall is very well scripted. Although you won't mistake it for a Sorkin flick, the quality of writing is far better than some of the drabs you find in today's Hollywood blockbusters. The characters are both varied and interesting. Each character has a back story, which gets developed slowly throughout the game, and plays an important role to advance the overall plot. The story is face-paced and thrilling at some points and emotional and thought-provoking at others. The scientific tidbits that are introduced throughout the game are both interesting and consistent with the JP lore. One interesting thing that Telltale attempts to do in JPTG is to correct some of the scientific inaccuracies that were introduced in the original movie by explaining that the frog DNAs that were spliced into the dinos by Dr. Wu had introduced these "anomalies" in JP's dinosaurs.

Now for the bad parts, which aren't that many. The most obvious one is its graphics, which is the biggest gripe that I have had with virtually all of Telltales' titles. It's definitely not top-of-the-line. But, then again, it is certainly "serviceable." The animation is quite fantastic in many areas actually. I don't know if they used motion-capturing technology, but the animations in a lot of the action sequences are top notch and the facial expressions are certainly good enough to covey the emotional depths. But the character models themselves lack the details and look "plasticky" under certain lighting conditions. The jungle, which is pretty much everywhere in this game, looks quite cheap if you look closely. The swaying grass and bushes are simply 2D textures moving side to side. That said, this is certainly the most graphically advanced game that Telltale has created so far. (I don't know if that's supposed to be a commendation or an indictment, but hey.) For those of you who are fans of adventure games, scientific fictions, or just dinosaurs in general, I highly recommend this game. For the Jurassic Park aficionados, JPTG is truly a worthy (and might I say "essential") addition to the beloved but aging franchise that is in sore need of its own "resurrecting."

(just figured i'd post this here since im sure no one has ever read this review, nor has anyone written so much about a telltale game)

Having just finished this game after buying it during the PSN flash sale, I think I can safely say that this is one of the worst games I have ever played.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damn, smallest OT ever?

Just finished ep.1 after the 99c flash sale pickup and I am kind of stupidly enjoying it. Characters and writing are a giant step below damn near everything else produced by telltale, and the gameplay -is- mostly shallow with only a scant few traces of inventive puzzle solving. Still I had dumb fun with the episode, like one does playing a 90's fmv game.

Actually this game feels like it belongs on store shelves in 1993, next to Night Trap and Rebel Assault. Replace the crude 3d with actual d-grade actors and dino's with cheesy cg effect work and nothing would feel different. Plus it already has awkward transitions, pauses, stuttering, and other classic fmv game issues intact, even without slow cd-rom disc access speeds!

Digging up an old thread here because back-compat on Xbox One allowed me to borrow this 360 game from a friend. Just finished Episode 1. Gotta say, it's a lot of fun. That first scene with the T-Rex was great.

Looking at the hate in the posts here that date back 6 years, I feel I know TellTale games well and this is enjoyable. Back then, they might have been establishing their approach more. But now, I knew what to expect and can't wait to play the rest.

Fox Mulder

Digging up an old thread here because back-compat on Xbox One allowed me to borrow this 360 game from a friend. Just finished Episode 1. Gotta say, it's a lot of fun. That first scene with the T-Rex was great.

Looking at the hate in the posts here that date back 6 years, I feel I know TellTale games well and this is enjoyable. Back then, they might have been establishing their approach more. But now, I knew what to expect and can't wait to play the rest.

You either love or hate telltale. They're the Funko pop of videogames.

Their now even more dated engine just gets more licenses slapped onto it.

Top Bottom