• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury finds Oklahoma cop not guilty in shooting of black man

Beefy

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A white Oklahoma police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man last year was found not guilty Wednesday of first-degree manslaughter.

Jurors deliberated for just over nine hours before finding Tulsa officer Betty Jo Shelby not guilty in the Sept. 16 shooting of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher. Shelby said she fired her weapon out of fear because she said he didn't obey her commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she thought was a gun. Crutcher was unarmed.

Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted. They noted Crutcher had his hands in their air and wasn't combative — part of which was confirmed by police video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter that showed Crutcher walking away from Shelby, hands held above his head.

Crutcher was found to have PCP in his system and they found a vial of PCP in the SUV, but they found no gun. He had his had above his head when she shot him.

Another killer gets allowed to walk free.

RIP Crutcher

Giruvegan

Crutcher had his hands in their air and wasn’t combative — part of which was confirmed by police video taken from a dashboard camera and helicopter

Unreal that this is how things turned out

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
mMmNA4c.jpg

Ohh was that murder.

RIP Terence Crutcher.

Fuck that piece of shit cop.

Apparently facts don't mean a goddamn thing. And people wanna criticize BLM.

Yep. It's always "wait for the facts" until the police stories change, then the media forgets the story or remembers it only to change the officer into a hero and the deceased into a villain, then they get off without consequence. And by that time, the people who liked to cite how "outraged" minorities get at stories like this have moved on because it doesn't ever affect them. It's just one more black death where the only consequence for them is being annoyed that they have to read about how frustrated minorities are on a message board. At this point, I don't consider the opinions of anyone who critiques BLM in the face of continued, unabated, unaddressed abuses and injustices as something worth listening too.

Those that legitimately care are free to contribute to these links:

ACLU
Human Rights Campaign
Southern Poverty Law Center
Equal Justice Initiative
NAACP
Campaign Zero
The Innocence Project

Policing and the legal system in this country needs to change in a fundamental way.

The police union says the city needs to "heal" after the verdict. We need a moratorium on White cops and politicians demanding healing and unity after their officers aren't held accountable for their malpractice. Those words are so offensive in that specific context that I'd qualify it as pure incitement.
It's like asking the family of a murder victim to get over the killer being allowed to walk free.
That sort of inflammatory commentary will just inspire people to seek their own brand of justice.

The police union says the city needs to "heal" after the verdict. We need a moratorium on White cops and politicians demanding healing and unity after their officers aren't held accountable for their malpractice. Those words are so offensive in that specific context that I'd qualify it as pure incitement.
It's like asking the family of a murder victim to get over the killer being allowed to walk free.
That sort of inflammatory commentary will just inspire people to seek their own brand of justice.

That is some beyond funny bs about the police union calling for healing after the verdict especially given tulsa's very very messed up history when it comes to black people.

The jury went into deliberation for six hours before reaching their verdict. They asked the judge if they could explain their decision but he said not at the time, just give a verdict but they are free to explain their thoughts to the press tomorrow. So I'd expect some more information from the jury tomorrow.

Its also expected a civil lawsuit will be brought up against the defendant and the city / county, the burden of proof is a lot less in civil lawsuits but of course the max penalty is money, not jail time.

Trojan X

Banned
Fucking disgusting!!

The entire system NEED to change. That is an absurdly insane decision to not charge her with 1st Degree ManSlaughter at LEAST! She shot with intent to kill. If everything in life stick to the way the law operates then that means every bully or kid deserves to be killed during a playground school fist fight. Why? Well, you fear for your life, right? Fucking disgusting. Fuck'em ALL!

UGH!

PCP argument again? Just like what Dave Chapphelle said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVNjJx2t2FY

novenD

I keep waiting for one of these stories to end in some sort of conviction, no matter how minor. Give them a traffic ticket or community service or something.

It never happens.

:(

How is being on pcp even relevant, even if you tried shooting yourself on it you'd probably miss

"That unruly nigger had it coming", is the only reason drugs and past criminal history are ever brought up in these cases. They Rodney King'ed this man. I can only imagine what type of racial paranoia the defense successfully drummed up in the jurors. Just like in the Trayvon Martin Case. Just like in the Rodney King case.

Beefy

"That unruly nigger had it coming", is the only reason drugs and past criminal history are ever brought up in these cases. They Rodney King'ed this man. I can only imagine what type of racial paranoia the defense successfully drummed up in the jurors. Just like in the Trayvon Martin Case. Just like in the Rodney King case.

Yep. They made the dude look the bad guy to the jury. Didn't take much as the dude was a brother.

JoeNut

How is this possible, he was literally facing the other way with his hands above his head, and there is video evidence?

How is this possible, he was literally facing the other way with his hands above his head, and there is video evidence?

When our entire culture is literally built on the stalwart principle that black life is expendable, baffling injustices, even after progress after progress, is always expected. There's a reason why black people always start from the cynical perspective. There's a reason why so many of us are never surprised by this news and simply want to hear from the people who called us "outraged". It's because the US rarely gives us an opportunity to think any differently. White people joint the March on Washington only for MLK to be assassinated. Civil Rights are gained only for politicians to push for manipulations of every system they can to hold us up and call it "legislation" or "policy". A black president is elected, performs admirably and literally the next year the very person who essentially told him to "go back to Africa" for 8 years gets elected and proves to be chaos incarnate. It's possible because in too many people's opinions, it should never have been news in the first place so they used the system to essentially make sure it never happened. Painted the cop as the hero and the dead body as the villain and no one noticed, or more than likely, were eager to accept.

We want it to change? Then it's no longer on just black people. We've marched, cried, died and will continue to do so for our humanity. But it's time for people outside ourselves to start honestly interrogating the America they live in.

Being black while on PCP has been on the list for a looong time. It's like the classic excuse to murder a guy.

Yup. White kids and grown ass folk using heroin and pills and it's a tragedy thay we need to treat medically.

Black man on PCP? Clearly a personal moral failing that makes his like contain less value.

At least four of the 12 jurors were crying as they left the courtroom and they did not look at either the family of Crutcher or Shelby. The jury comprised eight women and four men and included three African-Americans.

Fuck outta here.

R.I.P. Terence Crutcher

DavidDesu

Why do cases like this need a jury. She killed an unarmed man who was complying. She shot to kill, as seems to be the tactic deployed by police. I say shoot to kill WHEN you see a gun being pointed at you, not before you even see a gun. Utter fucking coward. Yeah she was scared alright. Shouldn't even be a police officer.

Enzom21

How can anyone be shocked by this?
He was black, "PCP!," his murderer is a white woman and she was a cop.
She had the most protection you can have in society... and he was just black.
---
Obligatory:
Code:
[IMG]http://images.sunfrogshirts.com/2016/12/13/71516-1481690044199-Gildan-Men-Black-_w91_-front.jpg[/IMG]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
but make sure your protests don't inconvenience anyone

and don't be loud

and don't protest silently in a way that people can actually see or they might be offended

America can go fuck itself.

CLBridges

Wow, sad! Maybe when I die and there's some kinda afterlife, I'll finally get that grand understanding. Just can't make sense of this world.

Top Bottom