• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a 65" OLED and watched a Ghibli movie

I think I only have Naasica. I need more Ghibil blu-rays.

Rumour has it that the recent Nolan films are all coming to UHD blu next month, so for anyone looking to watch The Dark Knight or Interstellar, I would hold off. The IMAX sequences will be native 2160p.

Whelp. Time to rebuy The Dark Knight trilogy and Interstellar. The great thing is there will be legit full 4k releases and not the 2k upscales many titles are. A lot of new films even shot at 4k or above only have a 2k intermediate in the end.

Because of Nolan's love of shooting on film and insisting these films didn't have digital intermediates but to be photochemically done, they were future proof for 4k remasters and technically could even go higher really since he shoots many scenes with IMAX cameras.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Looking to pickup an LG OLED this fall during Black Friday. It’s time. Crossing my fingers for some good deals.

MazeHaze

Banned
Does a MacBook Pro 15 2017 count?

Oh, didn't read the OLED part. Any with the latest MacBook Pro and OLED display, what's the difference like?
Picture processing. The MacBook isn't designed to give you an outstanding home theater experience. My Note 8 has an OLED screen and it looks fantastic, but not even in the same league as my OLED TV.

Just got an OLED as well but I'm too cheap to get a 4k player and rebuy my damn Blu-ray. Am I wasting my tv? What's the best streaming service for 4K?

Netflix and Amazon are both pretty lacking in UHD titles. I heard VUDU is decent but the app on my TV doesn't support 4K/HDR.

Afrikan

Just got an OLED as well but I'm too cheap to get a 4k player and rebuy my damn Blu-ray. Am I wasting my tv? What's the best streaming service for 4K?

BluRay on OLEDS still look Amazing. You don't have to rebuy your whole collection. Be picky about it and do some research to see which film grades high in picture quality, regarding 4k.

Some 4k players can be found in the low to mid 100s now. I think I saw the Samsung one on sale.

Welcome to emissive display GAF. Plasma has been displaying these kind of images for two decades.

I went from a final generation Panasonic plasma (65VT60) to my current Sony LCD (65X900A). It's not that big a difference in most aspects except motion resolution. LCD motion resolution is just so awful. I don't miss the burn-in while gaming though.

Whelp. Time to rebuy The Dark Knight trilogy and Interstellar. The great thing is there will be legit full 4k releases and not the 2k upscales many titles are. A lot of new films even shot at 4k or above only have a 2k intermediate in the end.

Because of Nolan's love of shooting on film and insisting these films didn't have digital intermediates but to be photochemically done, they were future proof for 4k remasters and technically could even go higher really since he shoots many scenes with IMAX cameras.

Anything with VFX will still be upscaled 2K. But since Nolan shoots so many scenes in IMAX, all the IMAX scenes will be incredibly 4K and beautiful. So you'll have a mix of upscaled 2K in VFX shots, native 4K in regular 35mm film shots, and super amazing 4K in IMAX shots.

If WB aren't retarded and slap a bunch of stupid sharpening on their 4K releases of these movies, I'll probably rebuy them too. The Dark Knight Trilogy on BD was notorious for the distinctive ringing artifacts and loss of fine details due to the digital noise reduction applied to those releases.

Top Bottom