• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just shut up and remake Mario 64 Nintendo

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mario 64 levels with modern physics is a batshit retarded idea. On par with the people who said "just put modern GTA control into the PS2 trilogy and keep everything else exactly the same".

In fact, no, that was still much worse.

rampo360

Neo Member
they did in 2005 :)
thor-is-it-though-is-it-though.gif

So I was playing Metroid Prime Remastered and I figured you know, Nintendo don't make games as good as they used to. I like this. An old better Nintendo game with better graphics.

Mario 64 needs a bit more cleaning up because it's an older game so give it new 3D Mario physics, re imagined graphics and settings, new stars, with all the old levels and some new ones.
'
They released the superior PS1 version on the DS in the 2000s.

Banned
Remake SMW or SMB3 as a 3D game. That would be a dream come too.

pray-lord.gif

Dare I even say, make them open world?

How on earth is that supposed to work? Remaking a 2D game which is almost defined by it being 2D as a 3D game, that would not make much sense.

That's especially true for SMB3, as the whole concept of that game is that it's supposed to be a stage play, making it basically impossible to remake as a 3D game.
With 3D graphics sure, but not with much of 3D gameplay added.

How can somebody with such a username be so wrong about Mario?!

Nah it's the truth man -- in fact the only 3D Mario game I'd say 64 is definitely a better game than is Sunshine.

Again though, no disrespect to Mario 64 -- it's really great and does still hold up reasonably well, and is an absolutely staggering achievement for 1996, a company's first real 3D game, one of the first 3D platformers, the industry's biggest IP moving to 3D, innovation, etc. etc. But Nintendo themselves have far surpassed their work on it multiple times with objectively better 3D Mario games.

It's also like saying Super Mario Bros. NES is better than Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 and they should just remake that for new audiences since it's never been surpassed. It's just not true. It's a fantastic game for many of the same reasons as 64, but they refined it and have done better since.

The only 3D Mario game to surpass it is Galaxy imo, which through its physics managed to finally bring the feel of a 2D platformer into 3D.

Sunshine and Odyssey both lack the charm of earlier Marios for me.

64 has such a weird empty, creepy atmosphere. Like going into Mario Bros 1-2 for the first time.

FBeeEye

Banned
This is overdue. It's the game that started it all. I borrowed someone's N64 so I could play it. Never did that before. It was a landmark game and it needs a proper remake.

Kabelly

shut up

give me Mario & Cappy 2.

it's his best moveset ever. From the hat platforms to the sonic roll. We need more of that. You can buy the 3D Allstar collection somewhere.

Top Bottom