• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice Department to withdraw legal action against Apple over San Bernardino iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all well and good, if it was for precedent why not keep the case going.

Also it doesn't matter of its am old phone that's not what apple and Tim cook's pr was saying about how apple views their phones and software.

Because the FBI was slowly losing the PR war and/or realized Apple wasn't going to cave on the matter while they had a different solution just sitting there.

It DOES matter if it's an old phone because that's how software vulnerabilities work. Someone in the community finds them, reports them to the company, gets a bounty for it as long as they kept their mouth shut before they told the company, and only once it's been fixed are they allowed to disclose it. If this is a phone that hasn't been receiving regular Apple software updates and security fixes it's going to have more solutions available than to get to it. Security is always a matter of obfuscation, not sheer defense force - even if you find some way to make one area impenetrable, like making the password impossible to brute force, someone will find some other weird way to get in like by fucking with system settings on a PC attached to it. (I don't think that's what happened, it's just an example.)

The real question here is that in a case where Apple has done literally everything right and even has Google backing them, why are you so desperate to make them look bad?

Is this outcome... Good? They broke into iPhone...

They broke into an iPhone 5C which is getting discontinued in two weeks anyways with an exploit that likely isn't possible with the security measures on newer versions. Current iPhone users can rest easy, people with older phones... well, this is the risk you run, welcome to capitalism, it's not like every other tech company doesn't do it.

MartyStu

Yes it is good.

We should not care that they found a way into the phone.

Just that Apple was not forced to do it. As long as Apple continues to patch vulnerabilities (including this one) all is well.

DOWN

Banned
They broke into an iPhone 5C which is getting discontinued in two weeks anyways with an exploit that likely isn't possible with the security measures on newer versions. Current iPhone users can rest easy, people with older phones... well, this is the risk you run, welcome to capitalism, it's not like every other tech company doesn't do it.

Yes it is good.

We should not care that they found a way into the phone.

Just that Apple was not forced to do it. As long as Apple continues to patch vulnerabilities (including this one) all is well.
Oh it was a 5C phew

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
They patch whatever vulnerability allowed the disabling of wiping the data after 10 wrong guesses.

They can't keep the case going. The fundamental reason to coerce Apple into writing a special OS for the government was the government's claim that they can't do it by themselves, that only Apple can help. It wasn't true then and it's certainly not true now.
Right but if it was all for show and precedent who's to say the FBI would admit that they got the phone unlocked by someone else? They could easily turn down outside help and keep applying pressure to Apple.

Because the FBI was slowly losing the PR war and/or realized Apple wasn't going to cave on the matter while they had a different solution just sitting there.

It DOES matter if it's an old phone because that's how software vulnerabilities work. Someone in the community finds them, reports them to the company, gets a bounty for it as long as they kept their mouth shut before they told the company, and only once it's been fixed are they allowed to disclose it. If this is a phone that hasn't been receiving regular Apple software updates and security fixes it's going to have more solutions available than to get to it. Security is always a matter of obfuscation, not sheer defense force - even if you find some way to make one area impenetrable, like making the password impossible to brute force, someone will find some other weird way to get in like by fucking with system settings on a PC attached to it. (I don't think that's what happened, it's just an example.)

The real question here is that in a case where Apple has done literally everything right and even has Google backing them, why are you so desperate to make them look bad?
show me where I've been so desperate to make apple look bad? Because I don't buy their PR, that means I want them to look bad?

I just think many on here are glorifying apple unnecessarily.

I'd like to know what they found.

Lol still better than android malware.
But keep on fighting the good war against the evil empire.
I like how your response is lol android is worse, so there!

They were always going to hack into it, this was an older phone with known vulnerabilities. They lied when they said they couldn't hack into it to try and force Apple's hand, experts knew about these vulbervailties.

I'm not usually a conspiracy nut, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cooked this up so they could withdraw the appeal without losing too much face,

Guess Who

Banned
Reminder that whatever exploit they found to be able to bruteforce the PIN doesn't matter to your security if you just use a secure passphrase instead of a 4-digit PIN, which is what was used on this phone.

Jezbollah

They were always going to hack into it, this was an older phone with known vulnerabilities. They lied when they said they couldn't hack into it to try and force Apple's hand, experts knew about these vulbervailties.

Yep. And there will be a significant amount of resources put into analysis of newer iPhone models and IOS builds to try and find any new vulnerabilities. While there is the human element in designing such products, new exploits will always be found.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm not usually a conspiracy nut, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cooked this up so they could withdraw the appeal without losing too much face,

There's no way for us to know if they actually got into it or not. They already seem to be telling us way too much about a federal case whether or not they might unlock it etc.

So, I'm inclined to agree.

Right but if it was all for show and precedent who's to say the FBI would admit that they got the phone unlocked by someone else? They could easily turn down outside help and keep applying pressure to Apple.

I don't think you've really been following the case closely if you think this was a plausible series of events.

... Would that be so hard to believe?

Given the other information known about the phone in question so far, actually, yes it would.

Dishwalla

Banned
What would have been on a county phone anyway? Any ideas out there?

I mean that's the thought process, because if the shooter was smart he wouldn't have kept anything on that phone he didn't want others to see, since the agency that actually owned the phone theoretically could've viewed the contents of the phone at any time. Also the fact that the shooter and his wife destroyed their actual personal phones, which are more likely to have housed info the FBI is seeking.

ReAxion

They literally filed in the document that "Apple's assistance" was "necessary to effectuate the warrant." They cannot turn down outside help and still contend they are making a reasonable, unburdensome request.

Matt

Of course, the FBI was executing a legal search warrant.

I don't think anybody was really arguing that they shouldn't be able to break into the phone on their own accord.

Jedi2016

Of course, the FBI was executing a legal search warrant.

I don't think anybody was really arguing that they shouldn't be able to break into the phone on their own accord.
Exactly. They have every right to search the phone. My problem was them trying to forcibly coerce a third party into unlocking for them.

Well, good for them, I suppose. Problem for them is, this will probably be the last time they'll be able to do this, since this whole fuss has only made every tech manufacturer in the world tighten their encryption even more.

And, of course, they'll never admit to the fact that, after all the hubbub, they found absolutely fuck all on that phone.

ReAxion

9gGVsjn.png

Careful wording: Data accessed vs. unlocked phone.

Then it definitely sounds like NAND duplication.

I suspect Apple will still be auditing the fucking out of SecureROM over the next few weeks/months just in case though.

numble

That's all well and good, if it was for precedent why not keep the case going.

Also it doesn't matter of its am old phone that's not what apple and Tim cook's pr was saying about how apple views their phones and software.
Because the precedent of the FBI losing is also a precedent.

If Apple can prove the FBI can do something without its help, the FBI loses.

If Apple can prove the All Writs Act doesn't allow them to request Apple to do this (especially since there was a specific law that prohibited it), the FBI loses.

All signs were pointing to the FBI losing one way or another once the facts and arguments were coming out.

FyreWulff

Sound like all those efforts by Apple and other tech co are futile actually. The DoJ solution sounds simple enough, just make multiple dumps of the phone and brute force it if I read it right.

Only because the user of the phone used a 4-digit pin. If you use an alphanumeric passcode it's not really possible. 4-digit pins are brute forceable even with the best security.

Then it definitely sounds like NAND duplication.

I suspect Apple will still be auditing the fucking out of SecureROM over the next few weeks/months just in case though.

Can absolutely guarantee Apple will be hardening all they can in revisions going forward.

Vyer

As expected, this was never about 'just this phone'. Govt tried to get their precedent set and Apple stood their ground. There were people stating that the FBI could do this at any time even before this news broke (I believe including Snowden IIRC?). The bluff was called.

FyreWulff

I'd say it's a good outcome.

1) FBI didn't get an ethereal magic skeleton key to unlock every phone from this point forward.

2) First amendment rights are preserved.

3) People realize security is only as good as your passphrase.

4) Apple will harden newer and newer phones and so will everyone else.

The FBI was never concerned about being able to get into this specific phone, they wanted the legal skeleton key.

FyreWulff

The base OS loader chain is already pretty hard. There hasn't been a known exploit in SecureROM since 574.4 which was iPhone 4 days.

Also, if the exploit they used was NAND mirroring, the technique already doesn't work for the 6 or later due to the Secure Enclave

I doubt newer iPhones could be hacked with the same method. Ever since touch ID became a thing, Apple significant increased the security of the device.

FyreWulff

From what I had read before, the way they were cracking it was pretty insane.. One of the methods required high strength lasers that would somehow read the bits of data from memory. I have no idea how any of it works.

Their methods are protected, but here's an article about them:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/me...mpany-reportedly-cracking-iphones-for-the-fbi

It's extremely likely they used the technique people were guessing - desoldering the NAND and putting a shim in that let them reset the nand and replenish the guess tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom