• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Wonder Girls is like SNSD. They could play kazoo with their noses and crush anything else in popularity. Plus they've been gone for so long, just the excitement it'll generate kind of makes it certain, they'll hit big.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Argh, OCD kicking in again. Are Yubin's stockings different, or are her legs just tanner? OCD!
lol when yubin debuted people made fun of her for being too dark and fat

good job being a jerk!
j/k

Based Hyomin.

CK4h-yUVAAAw3hr.jpg:large

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
She's more tanned.

good job being a jerk!
j/k

I always fixate on crappy little details. Zoloft stopped working a long time ago. I'm really OCD about the tiniest of things. Like Gayoon's ankles. Literally the tiniest things.

To be fair with you, the teasers were good and judging by Inkigayo wins, the shittier the song, the longer it wins...So you might be right, and they'll bomb cause it sounds amazing.

ramyeon

You're basing your prediction on literally nothing. Every teaser so far has been ridiculously well received and the hype is huge especially online in Korea. Even when the Wonder Girls were inactive people were still using them and SNSD equally as the bar that other girl groups had to compete with.

Regardless of the quality of the song (And I have no worries about that considering how consistent JYP releases are) this isn't going to be a flop.

Dice

The images reminded me of old Robert Palmer videos, so I went back and watched them and sure enough they have some a cool blend of elements from them. The white instruments from Addicted to Love, the chic stripes and swimsuits from Simply Irresistable, the slicked hair and makeup style, the general feel of color scheme. The videos were rather iconic for early MTV-age pop music, so it's a cool homage, and they still managed to mix in some of the more classic WG doo-wop feel in their hair and jewelry which makes the stripe styling a bit more ambivalent in its callback. Very cool.
I am old. T_T

AReed

To be fair with you, the teasers were good and judging by Inkigayo wins, the shittier the song, the longer it wins...So you might be right, and they'll bomb cause it sounds amazing.

True, and the teasers were good.

You're basing your prediction on literally nothing. Every teaser so far has been ridiculously well received and the hype is huge especially online in Korea. Even when the Wonder Girls were inactive people were still using them and SNSD equally as the bar that other girl groups had to compete with.

Regardless of the quality of the song (And I have no worries about that considering how consistent JYP releases are) this isn't going to be a flop.

cool man

And now people want curvy girls... shows you how out of touch K-Pop fanzzzz are.

And one day, they'll be wrong about ink too.

This... seriously, so much this.

JYP has been on a fncking 20 year streak... you're way too much of a delulu if you think this is gonna flop.

--

Variety talk time...

Finally saw last week's IC episode... I'm 99% sure IU's demo of "Black Sunglasses" was produced by Primary. There's no chance in hell somebody else wrote it... that sound is just pure classic Primary through and through. Of course she probably wouldn't admit it though since Primary and Myungsoo paired up, not to mention his plagiarism scandal that came from IC. Most likely, they'll just credit it to some rookie producer working for her agency... but that's if they pick the song of course.

On the other hand, I'm starting to think this is gonna be a disaster for Joonha and Hyungdon. Then again, is that really a surprise? Lol. But seriously, Joonha trying to rap is disastrous... I honestly don't think he'll be able to pull it off even if Illionaire is behind him. As for Hyungdon, he's such a terrible fit for Hyukoh, I honestly don't think there's a way for this to work.

But JYP and Zion.T though... they lucked out. Seriously. JYP needs no mention but Zion.T doesn't know how lucky he is by getting Haha. These two pairs are the ones I'm really excited about.

Finally, The Genius... last week's episode was obviously more exciting but the latest one is still decent. I do think it's also a telling sign how shitty
season 2
was judging by how season 4 has turned out. Also, it's absolutely clear from this episode that
Sangmin
was a force to be reckoned with. But now that he's gone, it's hard for somebody to step up and spoil the game. Somebody did it this episode and I'm glad they did because the Dongmin/Hyunmin partnership from season 3 was starting to be revived.

Next week looks like it might be awesome though. I'll gladly sit down for a Jinho/Dongmin war lol.

ramyeon

This... seriously, so much this.

JYP has been on a fncking 20 year streak... you're way too much of a delulu if you think this is gonna flop.
Pretty much, or just trolling. I'm gonna go with the latter after this response...
JYP has been on a roll especially this year, all of their comebacks have charted really well and been great. Not concerned about the quality of this at all.

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakvkN_dd1M

Regular version of the Hello Venus MV. So absurd, I couldn't help but laugh at some of the scenes but it's worth it for Alice.

---

Based Hyomin.

CK4h-yUVAAAw3hr.jpg:large

Bigger version:

The photoshop on these is really something else. What is even happening to the lower part of Qri's right leg?

JohnCYQ

Variety talk time...

Finally saw last week's IC episode... I'm 99% sure IU's demo of "Black Sunglasses" was produced by Primary. There's no chance in hell somebody else wrote it... that sound is just pure classic Primary through and through. Of course she probably wouldn't admit it though since Primary and Myungsoo paired up, not to mention his plagiarism scandal that came from IC. Most likely, they'll just credit it to some rookie producer working for her agency... but that's if they pick the song of course.

What?

I don't even think IU is acquainted with Primary, much less being close enough to be called "friends". The more likely speculation is that either Jonghyun (SHINee) or Yonghwa (CNBLUE) helped her with the dance version of Black Sunglasses since they're both known to be close singer-songwriter friends with IU.

What?

I don't even think IU is acquainted with Primary, much less being close enough to be called "friends". The more likely speculation is that either Jonghyun (SHINee) or Yonghwa (CNBLUE) helped her with the dance version of Black Sunglasses since they're both known to be close singer-songwriter friends with IU.

Lolwat. The notion that IU isn't acquainted with Primary is preposterous. Did you miss the last two IC episodes where she knew every single thing about Zion.T and Hyukoh? Especially when everyone there besides Heeyeol, Jongshin, JYP, and Leejuck couldn't figure out who's who?

Jonghyun or Yongwha can't emulate Primary's sound anyway. The only other person who can emulate Primary's sound is Zion.T, and guess what? He co-wrote Jonghyun's Deja Boo. Besides, where did this speculation come from? One of the comments in KShowNow? Lol.

You might wanna listen to Primary's "Zoo". That's the first song that came into my head the moment I heard "Black Sunglasses." Actually, you should just listen to all of Primary's stuff since he "debuted" in 2011. You might actually learn what Primary's signature sound is if you do.

JohnCYQ

Lolwat. The notion that IU isn't acquainted with Primary is preposterous. Did you miss the last two IC episodes where she knew every single thing about Zion.T and Hyukoh? Especially when everyone there besides Heeyeol, Jongshin, JYP, and Leejuck couldn't figure out who's who?

Jonghyun or Yongwha can't emulate Primary's sound anyway. The only other person who can emulate Primary's sound is Zion.T, and guess what? He co-wrote Jonghyun's Deja Boo. Besides, where did this speculation come from? One of the comments in KShowNow? Lol.

You might wanna listen to Primary's "Zoo". That's the first song that came into my head the moment I heard "Black Sunglasses." Actually, you should just listen to all of Primary's stuff since he "debuted" in 2011. You might actually learn what Primary's signature sound is if you do.
What kind of logic is that? I meant being personally acquainted with Primary, be it through collabs/featuring, being on the same variety show, etc. As far as I can tell, they share no such history with each other, nor has she ever mentioned him on any occassion. Their type of music isn't even remotely similar to each other.

The speculation on the two being the possible friend that IU mentioned to have helped her out? The fact that they are the two known close-friends of IU would be one.

Jonghyun gave his original song to IU, revealed that he talks with IU often about music, and also attended her miniconcert as a special guest.

Yonghwa has also attended one of IU's miniconcerts last year as a special guest, did a duet together, basically confirmed to be interacting with each other off-camera talking about the songs they composed.

Next, claiming anything that even sounds similar/in the same genre to be "Primary's Sound" is pretty ridiculous/delulu. You are the only person I have seen to have even made such a connection/speculation. I listened to Zoo, it sounded nothing like Black Sunglasses. And IU did say that she wrote the melody for the dance version, unless we're going on the "IU lied and had Primary do the whole thing" angle I guess.

Dice

Next, claiming anything that even sounds similar/in the same genre to be "Primary's Sound" is pretty ridiculous/delulu. You are the only person I have seen to have even made such a connection/speculation. I listened to Zoo, it sounded nothing like Black Sunglasses.
ARze4TP.gif
RoawkyA.gif

ramyeon

Primary has a pretty damn distinct sound, I can usually pick whether a song is produced by him or not right away. He's been experimenting a bit more lately but he does still have a signature sound. Nothing "delulu" about that.

Black Sunglass does have a bit of a 2012 Primary vibe. That said I am pretty sure she said that she composed both of the tracks she let Myungsoo listen to.

Primary isn't the only one who can pull from big beat, downtempo, and house. They were kinda big for a really long time.

Absolutely.

But this clearly has traces of his signature sound and someone's signature sound is honestly fncking hard to imitate.

Next, claiming anything that even sounds similar/in the same genre to be "Primary's Sound" is pretty ridiculous/delulu. You are the only person I have seen to have even made such a connection/speculation. I listened to Zoo, it sounded nothing like Black Sunglasses. And IU did say that she wrote the melody for the dance version, unless we're going on the "IU lied and had Primary do the whole thing" angle I guess.

The fact that you're going all out to prove that I'm delulu for thinking this is a Primary track is a telling sign of who's the true delulu here.

Are you some kind of IU stan collecting evidence for her and suing me in the future for libel? LOL.

And as I said above, somebody's signature sound is fncking hard to imitate. If you don't even wanna listen to Primary's tracks to see what I'm talking about, then why don't we sit down and talk music production instead of hotlinking every interaction IU has had with Jonghyun and Yonghwa?

Dice

Happy birthday beautiful and talented Cho Gaeun.

JALvv9w.jpg

Gorgeous.

tumblr_msjew4S8D51qg4gqxo1_1280.jpg

Runs hella fast. Won multiple idol olympics gold medals.

2651765053EB4E7529C225

So many charms.

tumblr_natqoh90YW1rignivo1_250.gif

Has the best homegirl.

Dice

Hi Guys, I'm new to this. I Like Red Velvet, T-Ara and HyunA.
Well you can research history all you want, but nothing stops this train. You like Red Velvet so you're already on board with the next great era. I'd say check out Bestie because they shouldn't be missed, A Pink because they still have some time left, and IU because she is the HBIC for the next 20 years. Aside from that, just randomly meander because all fates are uncertain. True kpop stans embrace the ever fading flower of nugu. You don't know what that means, but you don't need to because it will happen on its own.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

You almost did good son...Almost. Repent and change Hyuna to 4minute, and then I shall accept you.

Random, but despite my incredible love for Nine Muses, every time I see one of the newer members (best Hyuna, Sungah, Kyungri, Sojin and Keumjo), I keep flashing back to Nine Muses of Star Empire. I really hope they didn't go through the same things, the other girls went through.

llehuty

From that list, it seems like f(x), 4minute or EXID could be right up your alley.

Anyway, if you want a general overview of k-pop, get into k-pop gaf's essentials playlist.

(Taking also this chance to suggest an update of those essentials).
*Ahem*
9Muses - News
Infinite - The Chaser (BTD also fits the bill)
BESTie - Love Options
Sunmi - 24 Hours

The list, as it is right now, looks a bit dated, and while I agree that SNSD is really a key group in k-pop and in this community, 10% of the playlist being snsd songs feels like too much, with all the diversity and variety k-pop has to offer.

Also, the ordering is weird, is it following any kind of pattern?

I would also want to know who thinks that Shangai Romance is the best Orange Caramel song, because I'll have to fight that person to death.

Maybe a poll could come in handy to update/remake the list?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
News is great but Nine Muses should be Hurt Locker. Yes it's brand new, but it's a future classic. After School should be Bang IMO. Orange Caramel not being Catallena is a crime. And yes...the less SNSD the better. Yes they have great songs, but...it's like the vanilla ice cream of k-pop.

Primary has a pretty damn distinct sound, I can usually pick whether a song is produced by him or not right away. He's been experimenting a bit more lately but he does still have a signature sound. Nothing "delulu" about that.

Yeah. I spent almost all of work going through my K-hiphop playlist of 161 songs to find songs that have a little bit of Primary's signature sound and what a surprise, that list isn't even a handful. And here they are:

Eluphant - SimSim
Gaeko - No Makeup and Rose(but IIRC, Primary was rumored to be the ghostwriter, if he wasn't credited for it, coz this is all him)
Gray - Just Do It

Yep, two songs.

The thing about his "signature sound" is it's all darkness/warmth. The entire mix is totally understated, the highs only blare out when necessary, and of course the lows are pushed out to create that fat sound he's always had.

I think the best way I can put it is his sound is it's like listening to old mono records.

I wasn't sold until the 3rd picture tbh. I think I need a primer on her, as well as AOA'S Seolhyun, especially Seolhyun coz I kinda confuse her with EXID's Jungwha lol.

Maybe a poll could come in handy to update/remake the list?

Did I hear a poll or list?!?!

Where do I sign up?

Also careful F0rneus, Taeng might sue you for calling her vanilla hahaha.

No No Eul

The list, as it is right now, looks a bit dated, and while I agree that SNSD is really a key group in k-pop and in this community, 10% of the playlist being snsd songs feels like too much, with all the diversity and variety k-pop has to offer.

I see where you're coming from but I don't think we could ever collectively choose between Genie or Gee. The simplest thing to do is to keep them both, for the sanity of the thread if nothing else.

Obviously Hoot gets a free pass since it's K-Pop GAF's Official Anthem. ;)

I must admit though I've been thinking about modifying the Essentials Playlist for a while. I reckon a lot of people (myself included) might find it difficult to throw out a lot of those classics in favour of more recent songs, no matter how good they might be.

I was going to suggest that since the majority of the tracks in the current list are from 2009-2010 or thereabouts, we could change it to the 'Golden Era' playlist or something to that effect. Then we could have a 'K-Pop GAF Recommends' playlist for newer stuff. And yeah, a poll would be a very good idea.

Also, the ordering is weird, is it following any kind of pattern?

Release date, newest to oldest, although I may well have got the order wrong, sorry. It doesn't help that some of the MVs have been reuploaded so the date on YouTube doesn't match the actual release date.

I would also want to know who thinks that Shangai Romance is the best Orange Caramel song, because I'll have to fight that person to death.

oc blatantly. :p

llehuty

I was going to suggest that since the majority of the tracks in the current list are from 2009-2010 or thereabouts, we could change it to the 'Golden Era' playlist or something to that effect. Then we could have a 'K-Pop GAF Recommends' playlist for newer stuff. And yeah, a poll would be a very good idea.

I like this idea.

And yeah, I will fight OC

Leon / Cavan Chen of Topp Dogg-G explains why he left

Even though I have kept quiet for a long time, I have a confession. To the people who are curious about my abrupt departure from TD-G here is my story. As a foreigner in K-Pop I faced a lot of racism and hardships during my time in SE. Constant verbal abuse and physical assault from a TD-G member and managers left me quite depressed and made me change my mind about wanting to debut in Korea. I felt very alone during my time there, and didn't feel happy while doing what should of made me the happiest. I didn't get to go to Beijing and left abruptly which is why information on me just ended. I'm not saying SE is a bad company, there were a few staff members and TD family members who are truly great people and it's a shame that things had to end the way they did. Though I felt a lot of regret and sadness at first, I am extremely blessed to be where I am now and grateful for the past experiences I've had in SE. I'm in a great company now and I'm working even harder to my dream and future debut. Please support me and also TD in our future activities! #confessions #strongerthanever #practicinghard #화이팅 #잘할거야 #ㅎㅈㅇ

Bolded the interesting parts. The fact that those sorts of feelings can be harbored in an industry that tries it's damnedest for attention to be placed upon them from all over Asia and indeed the world, and can even be acted upon in verbal and physical abuse is disgusting. It wouldn't be a surprise to see other non-Korean idols, mainly Chinese ones, and possibly even Tiffany and Jessica, be subject of this as well. Seemingly, if you aren't full blooded Korean, born in Korea.

feist_

Banned
Go easy on Balifor, he hasn't been around in a while, you guys. Dunno why he changed his screen name, or what that tag means, though.

But how you get ethered by Woohee in your own HBD post...

Hello friend. Have you heard the good news about 2yoon?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnDAEdZn_bHjt4HUSp4xa4F0amb6Bb8oE

025C8E4E510BF92D1AC3EA

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
For some ungodly shameful reason, as a massive fan of catchy k-pop and the eighties, I had never listened to Dal Shabet's BBB. Well fuck me. Damn son.

Dice

Man, CLC songs still holding so strong. Cube has such amazing composition and production people. 궁금해 in particular is a tour de force.

Seriously love this girl haha.
Bro can't handle it at all. I predicted this.

Top Bottom