• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Girl Group O My Jewel to Debut First Ever Caucasian Idol in South Korea

Saya

Link

Sofia Ramazanova, simply referred to as Sofia in the upcoming K-pop group O My Jewel, is going to be the very first Caucasian female idol ever to debut in a group in South Korea.

Sofia, who is of Russian and Israeli descent, is scheduled to make her debut in the K-pop entertainment industry in October along with her fellow group members in O My Jewel including Kim Yuri, Kim Sanha and Chinese member Wang Junghee, also known as Crystal.

21227108_129617920997718_726328482136588288_n-e1505956379183.jpg

21296256_1666299426775124_6403190385954258944_n-e1505956350454.jpg

21224166_1573199969386602_1839050995523387392_n-e1505956369106.jpg

Wulfric

If she can sing in Korean and dance, I see no problem with it. TWICE has a Japanese member (Momo), and most groups have a member who was raised in the US.

Judging from the photos, she certainly has the K-Pop look.

nynt9

If she can sing in Korean and dance, I see no problem with it. TWICE has a Japanese member (Momo), and most groups have a member who was raised in the US.

Blackpink has a New Zealander (of Korean descent) and a Thai member as well - it seems to be the trend these days.

TWICE has three Japanese members actually (Momo, Sana and Mina). They're a big part of why they blew up in Japan unlike a lot of other Kpop groups that have tried recently.

Are all K-pop groups similar to the boy band craze of the 90's? Where record producers just gather people together and write songs for them to market?

Peru

Are all K-pop groups similar to the boy band craze of the 90's? Where record producers just gather people together and write songs for them to market?

Generally, "are all x y" questions will be answered by NO, because generalisations are bad and nothing is homogenous.

Some groups don't write anything, some write all, some write parts. Some are producers themselves.

Some groups were gathered on talent shows, some auditioned for a label, some were friends getting together, some are strangers, some started out for themselves.

Singer songwriter types are probably more popular on k-pop charts now than anything else.

gconsole

I think this is a bit different. Having all foreigners but still asian ( look and race ) is not the same as having white people ( or even black ) in kpop industry. They will clearly stand out and look quite different. Depends on how the market react I guess.

Didnt Blackpink do decent?

They definitely did well, but TWICE are on another level. For example, after three weeks BP's album has sold 50k units in Japan. On its first day TWICE's album sold 46k. It's now over 250k units. Although to be fair, I think BP could've done better had YG not done such a shit job of promoting them. All of their promotional material was essentially recycled from their Korean releases while TWICE got a new MV for their main song (TT) and additional new promo material.

Clipse

As long as she's fluent in Korean I don't have any problem with it. Nothing more annoying than foreign K-pop idols who struggle with the language.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Slightly updated the title as I believe there have been Caucasians in idol groups in Japan before.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes. It's not like any of these pop groups started out as garage bands. They are all put together in the interest of business.

Still creative people doing creative work so I don't see it as a bad thing. It's like what Hollywood does, but for music.

Kenstar

Actually it is - I believe the group was Coconuts Musume? They had some girls from Hawaii in that. This was like, late 90s/early 00s. And coconuts are food last I check!

the only coconuts musume i acknowledge is the snack loving purple haired one

Actually it is - I believe the group was Coconuts Musume? They had some girls from Hawaii in that. This was like, late 90s/early 00s. And coconuts are food last I check!

There you go

http://helloproject.wikia.com/wiki/Danielle_Delaunay

EXILE (Japanese group) and its subgroups have several members that are biracial (Japanese/black). And Chris Hart (a black singer) has done really well in Japan. He's been invited to the Kouhaku Uta Gassen several times. And earlier this year he obtained his Japanese citizenship.

Top Bottom