• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis - Free DLC/new screens/latest trailer + opening

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis releases in Japan on 2/25 for PS4, PS3, and Vita. There's been some new info over the past couple of weeks, so I figured I'd make a new thread for it.

Free DLC

DBxQT1j.jpg

k5hIOEY.jpg

eN7xhgP.jpg
Both Kamen Rider Chaser and Kamen Rider Specter are now confirmed as free post-launch DLC. No dates are known yet, but Chaser has a DVD movie coming out in early April, so I'd imagine he'd launch around then, with Specter coming a bit earlier (mid-March, maybe). Also there's a short trailer for Chaser here.

EDIT: Ghost Boost has been confirmed as DLC as well.

Also, there's a fourth DLC character exclusive (at least for now) to first-print copies of the game. Takeshi Hongo (Shocker Grunt Ver.). Basically it's Hongo as a Shocker Grunt. Yay.

The first-print DLC also comes with an exclusive mission, as well. Anyway, with these DLC characters, the playable roster is now over 50 characters, more than double the previous game.

New screens

Not going to post all of them here (there's a lot), but you can find the rest at Dengeki

Latest trailer

Not exactly new, as it's been out for a few weeks now, but what the hell, gonna post it anyway because the only other post about it was buried at the end of the previous thread. Here's the new trailer. And with it comes confirmation that a number of past Kamen Rider actors are returning to voice their characters:

Hiroshi Fujioka (SEGATA SANSHIRO) as Kamen Rider 1/Takeshi Hongo
Tetsuo Kurata as Kamen Rider Black/Black RX/Kotaro Minami
Satoshi Matsuda as Kamen Rider Knight/Ren Akiyama
Kohei Murakami as Kamen Rider Kaixa/Masato Kusaka
Shigeki Hosokawa as Kamen Rider Hibiki/Hitoshi Hidaka
Jouji Shibue as Kamen Rider Ibuki/Iori Izumi
Yuichi Nakamura as Kamen Rider Zeronos/Yuto Sakurai
Ryouta Murai as Kamen Rider Kuuga (A.R. World version)/Yusuke Onodera

This is in addition to all the characters from the previous two games who were voiced by their proper actors, and the Ghost and Drive characters, who are of course voiced by their actors as well. Basically, there are very few characters left who aren't voiced by their respective show actors (pretty much just the ones whose actors are too famous/busy to do Kamen Rider stuff anymore; Kabuto, Kiva, G3-X, etc). And of course all the Showa Riders besides Ichigo and Black, but I don't think anyone expects them to return anyway. Hell, I figure the only way they got Fujioka back was by slipping in a few extra pages of script while he was recording for Project X Zone 2. :lol

Opening

And finally, nothing terribly exciting I suppose, but Namco Bandai also released the opening cinematic for the game. The song is "Colorless Images" by Tourbillon, AKA the band that did Kiva's opening. It's a decent song, and a decent opening, but the two don't particularly mesh well, I don't think. Still, cool to see them get a previous KR opening artist back for the game.

--

Anyway, that's it for the info-dump. The game's out in about a month and a half, and I don't think there's going to be a ton of new info between now and then, so this'll be the last thread I make on the game before it's out (I might do the OT myself if nobody else from TokuGAF wants to).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was already hyped for Garren and Zeronos...

DYW6FcI.gif

But THE GOD Spectre completes the trio of bad-ass secondaries.

All of his jingles are tight as shit. Bacchirimiyo all day, every day.

delSai

I know like nothing about Kamen Rider, just watching my first series right now, but i'm still really hyped for this for some reason.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was going to get the Vita version but I need that Chase DLC, I love him and Spectre design is pretty cool.

When's the game releasing again?

I was already hyped for Garren and Zeronos...

DYW6FcI.gif

But THE GOD Spectre completes the trio of bad-ass secondaries.

All of his jingles are tight as shit. Bacchirimiyo all day, every day.

Man Spectre henshin pose is so cool.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Hell yeah Chase! Love him so much. Drive was such a great series, such a huge step up from the abomination that was Gaim.

Mr-Joker

Banned
And here we go, Kamen Rider games tend to fly a bit under the radar, due to it being extremely niche. But like, Gaf is pretty nerdy, I'm surprised that it's not at least stightly more known than it actually is.

Watch Da Birdie

And here we go, Kamen Rider games tend to fly a bit under the radar, due to it being extremely niche. But like, Gaf is pretty nerdy, I'm surprised that it's not at least stightly more known than it actually is.

That feel when nobody knows my avatar is a Kamen Rider. :(

Gaim just didn't feel like a Kamen Rider to me. Too much action, story, and darkness. It felt like a tryhard spinoff to me. Never been a fan of Urobuichi.

Didn't feel much different from an early heisei series to me in that regard. You can tell from all the callbacks that Urobuchi must've really loved everything from Kuuga to Blade.

Ugh I'm so torn. I want to play this on the Vita but I loved the perfect sound edition with the last game so u might have to get it on PS4.

Hmmm.

Speaking of which, are there any wikis or sites that give a breakdown in English of the systems in these games? I played the last game, but just knew combos and transformations. I was able to get through, but my rankings were always crap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh I'm so torn. I want to play this on the Vita but I loved the perfect sound edition with the last game so u might have to get it on PS4.

Hmmm.

Speaking of which, are there any wikis or sites that give a breakdown in English of the systems in these games? I played the last game, but just knew combos and transformations. I was able to get through, but my rankings were always crap.

Yep, I actually started the Battride War wiki:

http://battridewar.wikia.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Battride_War_Wiki

(It's improved a whole lot since I left it in the hands of a couple of frequent contributors. I'm rather impressed.)

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Didn't feel much different from an early heisei series to me in that regard. You can tell from all the callbacks that Urobuchi must've really loved everything from Kuuga to Blade.
Ya but I loved Kuuga through Blade. Minus Agito. Gaim was way too serious. The early heisei had a lot less characters so they actually got time, Gaim had way too much characters considering it was always dark. Plus the ending was bitter and not in a good way.
The protagonist (forgot his name because I don't care to remember) thanks the villain even though he caused all of it and doesn't seem to mind killing a fellow rider.
It just felt really forced at times.

Gaim just didn't feel like a Kamen Rider to me. Too much action, story, and darkness. It felt like a tryhard spinoff to me. Never been a fan of Urobuichi.

Pardon me, this is series that had an episode about 13 year old kids killing themselves because of the monster of the week, that started with a kid crying to his parents that he is going to die, them calming him down saying "it'll be okay" only for him to go into seizue in their hands and then die, without any magical hero coming to rescue... And you find Gaim to be too dark? Like, I know it's your opinion, but I feel like, you might be forgetting early heisei...

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Pardon me, this is series that had an episode about 13 year old kids killing themselves because of the monster of the week, that started with a kid crying to his parents that he is going to die, them calming him down saying "it'll be okay" only for him to go into seizue in their hands and then die, without any magical hero coming to rescue... And you find Gaim to be too dark? Like, I know it's your opinion, but I feel like, you might be forgetting early heisei...
I'm talking more in the sense that the series had this dark overarching plot that was the center of every episode. I vastly prefer the episodic structure than the all story all the time that Gaim was.

Some Nobody

Did you even see Faiz? Early Heisei is DEFINITELY darker than most of Gaim. Come to think of it...too much action and story? What the what now? The action's well-placed and the story's well-written, how is that a bad thing? If I wanted week to week, "I can skip five episodes, it doesn't matter" storytelling I would (and do) watch Sentai.

I recommend OOO or Den-O. Those are the best to me.

What in the f...that's barely even a Kamen Rider series. I like Den-O too, but let's be serious about this...

Ya but I loved Kuuga through Blade. Minus Agito. Gaim was way too serious. The early heisei had a lot less characters so they actually got time, Gaim had way too much characters considering it was always dark. Plus the ending was bitter and not in a good way.
The protagonist (forgot his name because I don't care to remember) thanks the villain even though he caused all of it and doesn't seem to mind killing a fellow rider.
It just felt really forced at times.

*brain melts*

OT: I'd love to play this series if it weren't for the fact that the graphics seem to always be early PS3-era.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Did you even see Faiz? Early Heisei is DEFINITELY darker than most of Gaim. Come to think of it...too much action and story? What the what now? The action's well-placed and the story's well-written, how is that a bad thing? If I wanted week to week, "I can skip five episodes, it doesn't matter" storytelling I would (and do) watch Sentai.

What in the f...that's barely even a Kamen Rider series. I like Den-O too, but let's be serious about this...

*brain melts*

OT: I'd love to play this series if it weren't for the fact that the graphics seem to always be early PS3-era.
It's not like most Kamen Rider but it's still top notch. I love Sentai btw.

I thought the story in Gaim was crap. Just the typical fight for a prize story with twist. I think Ryuki pulled it off better.

(I overall enjoy Super Sentai more.)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

At the very least, the jump to PS4 does seem to have helped the look of the game a lot. Like, look at those close-up pictures of Drive's forms in the OP. Those look miles better than anything from the previous two games. Still not great, of course (I mean come on, it's Kamen Rider, shit's low budget in every medium), but way better.

Watch Da Birdie

Don't forget there are two versions of the game, the regular and the TV Sound Edition which is more expensive---it includes a lot of classic Rider songs. You can use your own music for the regular game too, but the versions in the TV Sound Edition are just the right size and loop properly so they work a bit better.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don't forget there are two versions of the game, the regular and the TV Sound Edition which is more expensive---it includes a lot of classic Rider songs. You can use your own music for the regular game too, but the versions in the TV Sound Edition are just the right size and loop properly so they work a bit better.

Man, I'm so torn on the Sound Edition this time. I mean, I'm getting it, of course, but...on one hand, we finally get BELIEVE YOURSELF from Agito, my favorite Rider song of all time. But at the same time, we lose Extreme Dream and Supernova. It's almost not worth it (almost). ;_;

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Idk why they couldn't just keep all the songs from the pervious games. If they did that I would bite. They just got rid of too much good tracks.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Idk why they couldn't just keep all the songs from the pervious games. If they did that I would bite. They just got rid of too much good tracks.

Well, I mean, the most likely explanation is now that so many secondary Riders are playable, they want unique super form songs for as many of them as possible. Hence you get Extreme Dream taken out for Accel's song, Supernova taken out for IXA's song, etc.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I'm looking forward to playing as the Drive cast though. Still wish Kiriko became the second in series female rider. Such a missed opportunity there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
On a personal note, I'm really, really excited for this game. It's basically the first real sequel the series has had. Battride II was a better game than the first, but it was also a shockingly poor sequel as far as content goes. Every stage from the first game was re-used, and only three new full-size stages were added (Gaim's Sengoku battlefield, OOO's Edo city, and Wizard's Wiseman's Mansion), with the other new stages being tiny one-offs like W's Fuuto Tower. As far as characters go, there were only three new (Gaim, Baron, and Shin Zangetsu; four if you count Kiwami Arms I guess). I think the fact that they didn't add more secondaries really soured a lot of people on the game. Hell, I didn't even get it until several months later when it was on sale at CDJapan.

I think the fact that they took an extra nine months or so of dev time for Genesis really shows that they recognized that they couldn't keep it going as a yearly series and not completely kill all interest in it. I mean just look at it now. All the stages are brand new and the roster has more than doubled. The secondaries were a given but I don't think anyone expected them to go as far as to add the Showas in as well. And actually going as far as to get Hiroshi Fujioka back for Rider #1 is just the icing on the cake. Not to mention throwing in a few other playable Riders that nobody expected (Joker, Eternal, DCD Kuuga).

The only worries I have right now are:

1. What they're going to do for a second mode. The whole Rider Road/Survival thing from the previous games frankly isn't very fun at all, and I really don't want to see it return. Surely they can come up with another mode that's a bit more creative/entertaining, especially now that there are so many more characters to level up. Hell, find some way to steal Sengoku Basara's conquest mode thing. Or Orochi 3 Ultimate's Gauntlet Mode. Or really just anything besides Survival. That shit's tedious and boring.

And 2. Streaming on the PS4. With so many voice actors (several who are re-used from the first two games) and in the case of the Premium edition, licensed songs, I'm almost 100% sure this'll have the same issue as Koei's musou games and certain anime games like J Stars Victory Vs., with the whole "sound is muted when you stream or record gameplay" thing. I mean it's not a dealbreaker, but it's gonna be disappointing if that turns out to be the case.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I'm still disappointed that there isn't a co op mode. I'm really excited too because I didn't even play the second cause it felt too underwhelming content wise. So it's been a while since I've played this series.

Man, I'm so torn on the Sound Edition this time. I mean, I'm getting it, of course, but...on one hand, we finally get BELIEVE YOURSELF from Agito, my favorite Rider song of all time. But at the same time, we lose Extreme Dream and Supernova. It's almost not worth it (almost). ;_;

Wait what? Aw dammit... I told myself I wasn't going to get a PS4 this early... I love Believe Yourself...

Tiu Neo

I like both Kamen Rider and Musou, so... I'll probably buy when money lets me.

Are the previous games hard to play if I know pretty much only basic japanese (katakana,. hiragana, a few words?)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I like both Kamen Rider and Musou, so... I'll probably buy when money lets me.

Are the previous games hard to play if I know pretty much only basic japanese (katakana,. hiragana, a few words?)

Not really. You'll probably need a translation guide for what the equippable stuff does, but those are out there, so you'll be fine.

Honestly though, you're better off skipping the old games and just waiting for this one. It looks to be so much better than the previous ones.

I hope they've used this extra development time to work on the game's technical issues. Battride War 2 had the worst loading times I've ever seen; even worse than the early PS1 days. The awkward uncapped framerate made things feel clunky too. I'm going to wait to hear some reports on if these issues are fixed before I preorder my copy. The loading made the survival mode feel like a joke, especially when it would take minutes to get to the next level after finishing the last one.

What are the new mechanics in this game? They've talked about everything else but that at this point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I hope they've used this extra development time to work on the game's technical issues. Battride War 2 had the worst loading times I've ever seen; even worse than the early PS1 days. The awkward uncapped framerate made things feel clunky too. I'm going to wait to hear some reports on if these issues are fixed before I preorder my copy. The loading made the survival mode feel like a joke, especially when it would take minutes to get to the next level after finishing the last one.

Oh god, the load times. Yeah, I REALLY hope those are improved in Genesis. From all accounts, the first two games were technical messes. A friend of mine had a look at the files on the Battride II Blu-Ray. Despite being barely over 3GB, the game was made up of over 100,000 individual files. Given that, it's no wonder the load and install times were ridiculous.

What are the new mechanics in this game? They've talked about everything else but that at this point.

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear about that myself. The only new mechanic they've talked about at any length is the overhauled partner system (which you can see in action in the new trailer). Other than that, I don't really know.

Are there legit form changes or they just specials?

Most of the form changes are legit, with full movesets and such. Final forms are still temporary (based on your super gauge) like the first two games. And from what I hear, Wizard's dragon forms are now fully playable, instead of just being specials like in the previous games.

vareon

Shigeki Hosokawa sold me. I just need to see Vita impressions (to make sure they don't run like shit) then I'll bite.

Oh god, the load times. Yeah, I REALLY hope those are improved in Genesis. From all accounts, the first two games were technical messes. A friend of mine had a look at the files on the Battride II Blu-Ray. Despite being barely over 3GB, the game was made up of over 100,000 individual files. Given that, it's no wonder the load and install times were ridiculous.

I've been playing BW2 on stream for a fundraising marathon, and we have given the game a new name; Loading Screen Simulator 2014. Playing something like Basara immediately after is such a jarring change since the performance and load times are leaps and bounds better. Hopefully someone does reports on the PS3 and PS4 versions so I won't dump a ton of money on a game that's 80% loading again.

Some Nobody

It's not like most Kamen Rider but it's still top notch. I love Sentai btw.

I thought the story in Gaim was crap. Just the typical fight for a prize story with twist. I think Ryuki pulled it off better.

(I overall enjoy Super Sentai more.)

You'll have to forgive me, I'm still working on this thing where I can intensely disagree with someone and not say anything mean to them. I hope I haven't offended you, and hope I don't now when I say:

The bolded almost made blood shoot out my ears, lol. Ryuki is my least favorite "watchable" Rider ever. (With Faiz taking the pretty much unwatchable spot.) Shinji's such a garbage lead character and the ending was exceptionally...poorly done. XD

On a personal note, I'm really, really excited for this game. It's basically the first real sequel the series has had. Battride II was a better game than the first, but it was also a shockingly poor sequel as far as content goes. Every stage from the first game was re-used, and only three new full-size stages were added (Gaim's Sengoku battlefield, OOO's Edo city, and Wizard's Wiseman's Mansion), with the other new stages being tiny one-offs like W's Fuuto Tower. As far as characters go, there were only three new (Gaim, Baron, and Shin Zangetsu; four if you count Kiwami Arms I guess). I think the fact that they didn't add more secondaries really soured a lot of people on the game. Hell, I didn't even get it until several months later when it was on sale at CDJapan.

I think the fact that they took an extra nine months or so of dev time for Genesis really shows that they recognized that they couldn't keep it going as a yearly series and not completely kill all interest in it. I mean just look at it now. All the stages are brand new and the roster has more than doubled. The secondaries were a given but I don't think anyone expected them to go as far as to add the Showas in as well. And actually going as far as to get Hiroshi Fujioka back for Rider #1 is just the icing on the cake. Not to mention throwing in a few other playable Riders that nobody expected (Joker, Eternal, DCD Kuuga).

The only worries I have right now are:

1. What they're going to do for a second mode. The whole Rider Road/Survival thing from the previous games frankly isn't very fun at all, and I really don't want to see it return. Surely they can come up with another mode that's a bit more creative/entertaining, especially now that there are so many more characters to level up. Hell, find some way to steal Sengoku Basara's conquest mode thing. Or Orochi 3 Ultimate's Gauntlet Mode. Or really just anything besides Survival. That shit's tedious and boring.

And 2. Streaming on the PS4. With so many voice actors (several who are re-used from the first two games) and in the case of the Premium edition, licensed songs, I'm almost 100% sure this'll have the same issue as Koei's musou games and certain anime games like J Stars Victory Vs., with the whole "sound is muted when you stream or record gameplay" thing. I mean it's not a dealbreaker, but it's gonna be disappointing if that turns out to be the case.

For what its worth, Kamen Rider's one of those games that could probably benefit from being done yearly. Better that each year they put more work into doing better, more detailed "sets" and model designs. Even better if they can add a decent story, even though I'm not going to know it until I finish learning Japanese, lmao.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
For what its worth, Kamen Rider's one of those games that could probably benefit from being done yearly. Better that each year they put more work into doing better, more detailed "sets" and model designs. Even better if they can add a decent story, even though I'm not going to know it until I finish learning Japanese, lmao.

I mean...kinda? Look at the Climax Heroes series. That was yearly, and while it did eventually turn into a legit good fighting game (Fourze was the first time it felt like a finished game, and Super was when it became legit great), the three games that preceded it were unfinished garbage. How 8ing/Bandai thought they could get away with releasing fighting games in which several characters had unfinished movesets is just beyond me. And the sales reflected this. By the time Super came around, the series was selling less than half of what it had been in years prior, despite finally deserving to sell well. So by that metric, I think it was a good idea for them to take some time with Genesis and make it a far better game than BWII was.

Top Bottom