• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrowers) |OT| Ghibli's newest (non-Miyazaki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I assumed Canal got the masters from Ghibli?
They do, but they nuke them with DNR after the fact. Awful.

Laputa UK v Laputa JP

You can see entire details on the ground below wiped out, and the beautiful defined lineart in from the JP transfer (which is done in 6K, along with every other Ghibli title shot on film -- something not even most Hollywood classics receive) is turned into thick, mushy crayon-looking shit. Just terrible.

Sucks that USA theatrical version has English dub and that song, I saw it with Japanese dub with Eng subtitles in the cinema.

UK cinema FTW :D

Suairyu

Banned
Sucks that USA theatrical version has English dub and that song, I saw it with Japanese dub with Eng subtitles in the cinema.

Well, you mean "specific cinema located in the UK that I attended FTW", as both the general and majority-arthouse run of the film in the UK was done with an English dub. There will be examples of arthouse theatres in the US running the Japanese reel I'm sure.

Well, you mean "specific cinema located in the UK that I attended FTW", as both the general and majority-arthouse run of the film in the UK was done with an English dub. There will be examples of arthouse theatres in the US running the Japanese reel I'm sure.
I went to the Kingston Odeon in July 2011 which is pretty huge, definitely not arthouse and very general. I'm pretty sure it was a timing thing, maybe before the English dubs were done?

genjiZERO

that's so awesome and I'm really jealous.

UKers: since this is based on a British book does it annoy you that the characters have American accents in the Eng dub?

Suairyu

Banned
that's so awesome and I'm really jealous.

UKers: since this is based on a British book does it annoy you that the characters have American accents in the Eng dub?
The English dub used English voice actors, mate, and it was sublime. Pity about that American dub, though.

However, if you do want to know what annoys us, watch 'Steamboy' and hear Anna Paquin's ear-grating attempt at a London street-urchin accent.

Saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot. The animation was nice, and the score was lovely.

I didn't mind the dub too much, though I can't compare it to the English dub and the original Japanese dub. That said, the voice for Sean didn't fit at all. The actor is way too old and trying way too hard to sound anemic.

Desmond

The English dub used English voice actors, mate, and it was sublime. Pity about that American dub, though.

However, if you do want to know what annoys us, watch 'Steamboy' and hear Anna Paquin's ear-grating attempt at a London street-urchin accent.

LLShC.gif

Saoirse Ronan ain't English buddy!

Saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot. The animation was nice, and the score was lovely.

I didn't mind the dub too much, though I can't compare it to the English dub and the original Japanese dub. That said, the voice for Sean didn't fit at all. The actor is way too old and trying way too hard to sound anemic.

Don't tell me they renamed characters?

totoro'd

Saw the Japanese version and absolutely loved it. My boyfriend said it's the best anime movie he's seen (he's not really into anime though). I'm sure i'll double dip and see the English dub when i get the chance.

Arrietty's Song is nice but this is probably my favorite song: Neglected Garden-live

Timbuktu

I remember quite liking this. Quite cute and well done.

Also saw From up on Poppy Hill from Goro recently. It was better than Earthsea, but the story was a soap opera really and for a youth melodrama, it wasn't as good as Whisper of the Heart. Characters were pretty bland and plots and theme don't come together at all.

Kokurikozaka_kara_film_poster.jpg

I feel like i'm still waiting for the next major Ghibli/Miyasaki film. I don't know if they have the resources or the market has changed but, their output in recent years feel a bit lacking for me, in terms of ambition and polish, compared with the 80s/90s.

GCX

I feel like i'm still waiting for the next major Ghibli/Miyasaki film. I don't know if they have the resources or the market has changed but, their output in recent years feel a bit lacking for me, in terms of ambition and polish, compared with the 80s/90s.
Ghibli is working on a massive Miyazaki project at the moment. It's apparently very different from all of his previous movies and the budget is so big that the project is a huge gamble for Ghibli.

Estimated release date is summer 2013.

Octagon

That US Arrietty song is horrible. i didn't even know these kind of things exist.
and i thought the german version of the ending song was bad.

Timbuktu

Ghibli is working on a massive Miyazaki project at the moment. It's apparently very different from all of his previous movies and the budget is so big that the project is huge gamble for Ghibli.

Estimated release date is summer 2013.

Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
d. Isao Takahata
Believe!

Miyazaki AND Takahata both in 2013? Are you kidding me? They're just gonna make the new boys look bad.

GCX

Miyazaki AND Takahata both in 2013? Are you kidding me? They're just gonna make the new boys look bad.
They're probably not going to be released during the same year. Tale of the Bamboo Cutter has been in the making forever so we don't really know what's going on with that.

Most of the studio staff is tied to the Miyazaki project since it's currently in full production. We also know that there's a samurai movie by Goro Miyazaki in pre-production.

Timbuktu

Also, for anyone who understand chinese or japanese

NHK 『父與子的300日戰爭 宮崎駿X宮崎吾朗』 繁中字幕 (1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPt7zxPG9g0

NHK 『父與子的300日戰爭 宮崎駿X宮崎吾朗』 繁中字幕 (2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqbosenKYsA

NHK 『父與子的300日戰爭 宮崎駿X宮崎吾朗』 繁中字幕 (3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ZCnOe9umA

NHK 『父與子的300日戰爭 宮崎駿X宮崎吾朗』 繁中字幕 (4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcJ4imcHbFc

NHK 『父與子的300日戰爭 宮崎駿X宮崎吾朗』 繁中字幕 (5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2iHojnAqq4

A kind of documentary about Poppy Hill about the struggle between the Miyazaki father and son. Part 1 and 4 don't seems to work, but the others do.

KingK

Saw this in theaters with some friends last night. God damn it was amazing. Way better than I was expecting going in. I almost teared up at the end.

Best Ghibli movie released since Spirited Away, and probably my 3rd favorite after Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Really surprised at how good this was.

genjiZERO

No-one had American accents in the dub I saw ;)

Oh that's cool - didn't know they did that. I figured they wouldn't to save money (plus cultural imperialism and all that).

Suairyu

Banned
Oh that's cool - didn't know they did that. I figured they wouldn't to save money (plus cultural imperialism and all that).
They don't normally, but as Disney were refusing to get their shit together and release it in a timely fashion, the Brits had to step up to the plate and show them how to do a dub properly.

I now want all my Ghibli dubs to be handled by that British studio, too. It was really, really good as dubs go.

genjiZERO

They don't normally, but as Disney were refusing to get their shit together and release it in a timely fashion, the Brits had to step up to the plate and show them how to do a dub properly.

I now want all my Ghibli dubs to be handled by that British studio, too. It was really, really good as dubs go.

I have to admit I generally dislike dubs simply because they are dubs (they just feel so much more authentic to me when in Japanese), but I like the idea of really high quality dubs. I'm glad the profession is getting better.... seems we've come a long way since the English Mononoke Hime....

Question: Anyone have a recommendation on which DVD version to buy? Are they all bootleg? Are there quality differences? Is the Blu-ray version legit and worth $45? cheers

/XX/

They're probably not going to be released during the same year. Tale of the Bamboo Cutter has been in the making forever so we don't really know what's going on with that.
Recruitment listings from the studio mentioned a estimate completion of the film production by Summer 2013:

スタジオジブリ - STUDIO GHIBLI - スタジオジブリ契約スタッフ募集のお知らせ(監督助手・制作進行) said:
※映画完成は2013年夏頃を予定
http://www.ghibli.jp/30profile/007511.html

Most of the studio staff is tied to the Miyazaki project since it's currently in full production. We also know that there's a samurai movie by Goro Miyazaki in pre-production.
Apparently, Mr. Takahata is so meticulous selecting the staff, handpicking them, and trust in so few people during a prolonged span of time for this kind of project that it doesn't affect that much the workflow on the rest of the studio.

GCX

Apparently, Mr. Takahata is so meticulous selecting the staff, handpicking them, and trust in so few people during a prolonged span of time for this kind of project that it doesn't affect that much the workflow on the rest of the studio.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. :)

I saw it, here are my thoughts on it.

Short and sweet, I loved it. The soundtrack was excellent, the movie was a masterpiece, my only complaint is that I wish there was more interaction between Arrietty and Sean.
I know it's only a minor thing but you mentioned in the review that Arrietty is the first major Ghibli movie wihtout Miyazaki at the helm. There's been many Ghibli films not directed by him (Grave of the Fireflies, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, etc.).

Zebra

I saw this film today and was very impressed. It blew Ponyo out of the water, and I actually really liked Ponyo.

The beginning scene where Arrietty goes on her first borrowing floored me. It had such an amazing atmosphere.

Also, I don't know if the sound design is the work of the original Japanese audio team or if Disney replaced the entire audio track (I don't know how these things work, to be honest), but the sound effects were pitch perfect.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Saw it on Sunday. Lots to like, but it didn't quite enamor me completely. Theme song is great.

A mid tier Ghibli film.

Branduil

I saw this film today and was very impressed. It blew Ponyo out of the water, and I actually really liked Ponyo.

The beginning scene where Arrietty goes on her first borrowing floored me. It had such an amazing atmosphere.

Also, I don't know if the sound design is the work of the original Japanese audio team or if Disney replaced the entire audio track (I don't know how these things work, to be honest), but the sound effects were pitch perfect.

The sound effects were the same.

I really enjoyed this. A little slow paced, though. And I would have liked to have seen Arrietty and Sho interact more. I got a little teary eyed at the end...but what was that pop song at the end all about? D:< Almost as much as an abortion as the autotuned Ponyo theme.

Can anyone get a gif of the crow attack?

qAz2ol.jpg

That shit was scary. I had a traumatic event of going down this one alley in a neighborhood and a crow swooped down and pecked me on the head real hard. It was a territorial thing, it pecked everyone who walked down that alley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom