• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ka's wheel hits road bump: The Dark Tower postponed to summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

obin_gam

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03/dark-tower-film-postponed-stephen-king
A film version of Stephen King’s apocalyptic saga was originally set for release on Feb. 17, but now will shift to the summer of 2017, sources close to the film tell EW.

Principal photography for the Nikolaj Arcel-directed film wrapped on schedule in late July, but the plan to have a completed film ready to screen six months later proved to be overly ambitious. Now, Sony Pictures and production company MRC have decided post-production can’t be finished in that timeframe and are about to inform theater owners of the change.

Sources close to the movie tell EW it’s a matter of needing deadline extensions on the visual effects, as well as more lead-up to promote the film.

A trailer leak last month featured mostly rough visual effects, and the filmmakers have discovered that the aggressive February timeline isn’t enough time to get the sci-fi/fantasy epic into shape, given its financial constraints. The film has a surprisingly low cost of about $60 million, and the choice was either to add millions more to the budget to speed up the work, or push to a later date. “It’s a very fiscally responsible budget, and trying to stay in budget to make money and stay profitable means the VFX won’t be finished in time [for February],” one source tells EW, on condition of anonymity. “Now that there’s more time, they’re not paying rush charges to get the effects where they need to be.”

Can't they work faster? :(

Disappointing but not surprising. The last i had read was that we would see the first official footage in December. That was enough to indicate they were cutting it close. I'd rather them take some more time to do it right since I think it will take a miracle for this to be adapted decently and an even bigger miracle to be successful. Pleeeeeeeease

Busty

Banned
Makes sense. Sony still have Barbie scheduled for May next year for some reason. They could just schedule Dark Tower into that slot.

I'm okay with this, it has a modest budget so it should have no problem being labeled a success even in the big shuffle of summer.

Wow, it was supposed to be coming out this winter/ spring? Nah, that seemed too soon considering when it was announced, so I'm completely unbothered.

dLMN8R

Sorry guys, it's my fault:

Is this production schedule pretty normal in the world of movies? It seems crazy that they're still shooting right now and the movie is scheduled to come out in January....

Thinking back on the books, I guess there isn't a huge amount of CG that will be necessary, but still this seems like quite the rushed schedule.

GRW810

I'm disappointed I won't see it as soon as I was set to buy on the other hand it sounds like the film will be improved by the time I do. Seems like Sony are really pushing for Dark Tower to be a success which is encouraging.

Simo

Besides Guardians of the Galaxy and this, what's the summer lineup look like?

Dunkirk and Valerian are among my most anticipated.

Aside from those some of the other big summer releases include Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, War for the Planet of the Apes, Alien: Covenant, Beauty & The Beast, Kingsman 2, Tom Cruise's The Mummy etc. lol

geomon

Dunkirk and Valerian are among my most anticipated.

Aside from those some of the other big summer releases include Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, War for the Planet of the Apes, Alien: Covenant, Beauty & The Beast, Kingsman 2, Tom Cruise's The Mummy etc. lol

Dayum, ok. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed into the fall then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom