• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaspersky Lab Faked Malware To Damage Marketplace Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

Why would you use Russian antivirus in the first place? It's like inviting Putin or some otherwise shady operator on your hard drive. There's some weird, weird stuff in Kasperky's past antics, too.

Faddy

Banned
Why would you use Russian antivirus in the first place? It's like inviting Putin or some otherwise shady operator on your hard drive. There's some weird, weird stuff in Kasperky's past antics, too.

What does the average American have to fear from the Russian government? Shouldn't you trust an interenation company before one that is subject to your own government's whims. After the Snowden revalations is it not more likely the American government has backdoors into American AV and they are much more likely to persecue and prosecute you for misdeeds carried out online.

P44

Yeah you can cut that veiled xenophobia shit out.

Sinfamy

Why would this news (assuming it's true) make anyone want to switch?
All it means is that it's still good software, that worked unlike it's rivals who were reporting false positives and potentially copying code, unless you're into ethics.

I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes BTW.

Carcetti

Yeah you can cut that veiled xenophobia shit out.

Meh. Looking at any metrics, Russia is a kleptocracy with massive corruption from all the way to the top from the bottom. If I can pick an AV software from somewhere else, I'll do just that. I doubt the average Russian citizen much enjoys the corruption either but the development after the CCCP broke has been pretty disheartening.

Sinfamy

Meh. Looking at any metrics, Russia is a kleptocracy with massive corruption from all the way to the top from the bottom. If I can pick an AV software from somewhere else, I'll do just that.

The US is full of legalized bribes, black killing cops and right wing conservatives, not using Google anymore.

Fugu

I am consistently amazed at the brazen anti-Russian sentiment, as if it's any better than being anti- other large group of people.

As for the issue at hand, not only am I skeptical that this story is true (especially when taking into account Kaspersky's reputation versus that of their primary competitors), I am also not especially bothered by it as it exposes a potentially more dangerous lack of accountability in the other AV vendors.

Carcetti

The US is full of legalized bribes, black killing cops and right wing conservatives, not using Google anymore.

It's not really a competition of who's being 'more bad'. When a country does something that's not so great, it's not actually a valid argument to say 'Boohoo USA is bad too'. It might have some effect if I actually had some belief in USA being 'a good guy' but I don't.

Ayt

Banned

What if your hard drive was manufactured in China? It is like inviting government sponsored Chinese hackers onto your hard drive directly!

chiimisu

ITT: People being racist fucks about Russia.

Thank you guys :\ It appears that you're as easily manipulated by media as average Russian citizen. Seeing all those sentiments by what appears to be a rather progressive community is sad.

Carcetti

What if your hard drive was manufactured in China? It is like inviting government sponsored Chinese hackers onto your hard drive directly!

Yeah, funny world, huh. Think about this enough, and you feel you're starting to put on a tinfoil hat. Which is funny if you aren't an Iranian getting hit by a US stuxnet. Big country fuckery is universal.

Thank you guys :\ It appears that you're as easily manipulated by media as average Russian citizen. Seeing all those sentiments by what appears to be a rather progressive community is sad.

Russian isn't a race.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It's not really a competition of who's being 'more bad'. When a country does something that's not so great, it's not actually a valid argument to say 'Boohoo USA is bad too'. It might have some effect if I actually had some belief in USA being 'a good guy' but I don't.

so which antivirus would you suggest to use? One created by extra-terrestrials?

daviyoung

Banned

why are you making this an issue about countries then?

Dai Kaiju

I know you're being facetious but you made a valid statement. The US government works closely with some US software companies like Microsoft sometimes for the purpose of beefing up cyber security and other times for the purpose of spying. It would be naive to assume that China and Russia don't do the same.

Carcetti

why are you making this an issue about countries then?

Because even if all the big countries are capable of fuckery, I'm making a personal judgment call of rating Kaspersky a one I'd make a point of avoiding because of Russia's corruption and computer crime history. Your mileage may vary but if you feel Russia doesn't have these problems, feel free to elaborate.

Dai Kaiju

Thank you guys : It appears that you're as easily manipulated by media as average Russian citizen. Seeing all those sentiments by what appears to be a rather progressive community is sad.

It's understandable for those in the US to not give Russian government or corporate entities the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this sort of allegation. It's equally understandable for those in Russia to have the same sentiment regarding the US.

Carcetti

so which antivirus would you suggest to use? One created by extra-terrestrials?

I'm not here to advertise for any AV company but I'm using one that's not from any of the big countries and that's from a company with good reputation. Google is your friend.

daviyoung

Banned
Because even if all the big countries are capable of fuckery, I'm making a personal judgment call of rating Kaspersky a one I'd make a point of avoiding because of Russia's corruption and computer crime history. Your mileage may vary but if you feel Russia doesn't have these problems, feel free to elaborate.

still not sure where you're going with conflating a private company with a country, or putting it in the same bucket as other companies/institutions from that country...just sounds like stale cold-war paranoia

Bandini

Even if this is true, Kaspersky is still one of, if not the best AV program out there. I have cleaned a ton of computers, and there is just some stuff that other programs won't find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom