• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kathryn Bigelows “Untitled Detroit Project”, Release 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Could be something to look forward to.

The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty‘s Kathryn Bigelow is set to direct a crime thriller that is currently being dubbed “Untitled Detroit Project”. The feature will reteam the two-time Academy Award winner with screenwriter Mark Boal. Bigelow and Boal will also produce the Untitled Detroit Project alongside Annapurna’s Megan Ellison and Matthew Budman.

The Untitled Detroit Project marks Bigelow’s tenth as a director. The film is being financed by Annapurna Pictures with casting set to begin in March. Principal photography is then slated to follow this summer.

Although full details about the Detroit project are not being revealed at this time, the film is said to be a crime drama set against the backdrop of Detroit’s devastating riots that took place over five haunting summer days in 1967. Boal has been researching and working on the project, which explores systemic racism in urban Detroit, for more than a year. Although no studio is yet attached, a release date is being targeted for 2017, the 50th anniversary of the riots.

The project marks Boal’s first screenplay centering around domestic conflicts. His The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, both directed by Bigelow, were set in the Middle East.

Does this Untitled Detroit Project sound like something you’d like to see? Let us know in the comments below and, as always, check back for updates on the film as they become available.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/651973-kathryn-bigelow-locks-untitled-detroit-project

Bronx-Man

Banned
I assume this will star Chadwick Boseman, Anthony Mackie, Gugu Mbatha-raw, & Shamiek Moore. Christian Bale will be the only one from it to be nominated for an Oscar.

Is ZDT any good? Watched The Hurt Locker recently and thought it was pretty average for such a critically acclaimed film. The part where he runs off to get revenge was particularly stupid.

strafer

Is ZDT any good? Watched The Hurt Locker recently and thought it was pretty average for such a critically acclaimed film. The part where he runs off to get revenge was particularly stupid.

You will probably hear a lot of different opinions about that movie.

But I myself did like it, but then I also like those types of movies.

injurai

Banned

It's quite better. The year Hurt Locker won was a pretty bad year in film.

you have that the other way round

Eh, I found Chastain to be pretty damn wooden in ZDT and the movie was a snoozefest until you get to the raid. Which is the entire last 45 minutes of film. Hurt Locker also had an amazing ending and spaced out its action and drama better, along with having the action scenes being a hell of a lot more tense.

I also found the narrative of an adrenaline junkie soldier much more interesting than the hunt for Bin Laden especially since the non-fiction elements were twisted.

It's... divisive. I thought it was fairly good, but there's a lot of structural problems with it, and as we now know, a lot of the "facts" in the movie are very wrong. I think its highs are higher than those in The Hurt Locker, but its lows are lows, and the medium is lower than The Hurt Locker as well. The film suffers mostly because it is based on real events. Perhaps if it had the freedom of The Hurt Locker it would have turned out better. The Hurt Locker is "truth", where it is a made-up story that aspires to find meaning in things. Zero Dark Thirty is "true", in that is succumbs to trying to be factual and missing the forrest for the trees as a result.

injurai

Banned
It's... divisive. I thought it was fairly good, but there's a lot of structural problems with it, and as we now know, a lot of the "facts" in the movie are very wrong. I think its highs are higher than those in The Hurt Locker, but its lows are lows, and the medium is lower than The Hurt Locker as well. The film suffers mostly because it is based on real events. Perhaps if it had the freedom of The Hurt Locker it would have turned out better. The Hurt Locker is "truth", where it is a made-up story that aspires to find meaning in things. Zero Dark Thirty is "true", in that is succumbs to trying to be factual and missing the forrest for the trees as a result.

ZDT tries to be an amalgamation of various real life people, written into fictitious ones. It doesn't try to get all the facts straight, it tries to paint an overall account.

Ah, so Boal must be dropping or delaying at best his Bergdahl screenplay. I'd love to see Bigelow do something with the material there, but if people thought "13 Hours" was politically charged, this will be like an H-bomb in terms of political furor.

This sounds really interesting, and with Bigelow at the helm, I have faith it'll be amazing. Zero Dark Thirty was great, Hurt Locker as well.

DaMan121

Strange Days has an amazing sense of impending doom, hopefully she can capture that. Also, she needs to do something like Point Break again.

ZDT tries to be an amalgamation of various real life people, written into fictitious ones. It doesn't try to get all the facts straight, it tries to paint an overall account.

That's true, as with every movie where composite characters are created and whatnot. But it is also trying to be factual more often than not. Today, that's bitten the movie in the butt with a lot of people who are now hung up about the film and its politics, but even disregarding those issues, I'd still say that the movie suffers in trying to be true, from its staging to camerawork, where The Hurt Locker was allowed to be more poetic and get at something closer to the heart of the story.

I haven't sat and watched either movie in years, so maybe I should revisit them.

harSon

Banned
Strange Days has an amazing sense of impending doom, hopefully she can capture that. Also, she needs to do something like Point Break again.

I wish she'd go back to doing genre films, because Strange Days and Near Dark are by far her two best films.

I had hoped she'd return to do something like Strange Days, but I hope this one doesn't disappoint. If it's the same quality as ZDT I'd be happy.

I assume this will star Chadwick Boseman, Anthony Mackie, Gugu Mbatha-raw, & Shamiek Moore. Christian Bale will be the only one from it to be nominated for an Oscar.

Well he runs circles around those actors too tbh

I get you tho, hopefully we get some good minority actors in here

Thank God she's moving on from the middle east. Next step she needs to do is drop mark boal's ass

You will probably hear a lot of different opinions about that movie.

But I myself did like it, but then I also like those types of movies.

It's quite better. The year Hurt Locker won was a pretty bad year in film.

Thanks. I'll check it out. The Hurt Locker put me off a bit. I know directors are going to take liberties depicting real wars and events but sometimes they go overboard and didn't want to sit through another unconvincing eye rolling film. I also watched Lone Survivor around the same time and that was a terrible film.

Magwik

Banned
I'm extremely intrigued and excited for this. Shame not many people show interest in the history of Detroit.

I want her to revisit AR/VR themes explored in Strange Days. But this holds promise.

It's weird how she dabbled with both sci-fi and fantasy (vampire movie) earlier in her career but seems hell-bent on pure realism now. I wish she applied the skills she developed on a new genre movie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This sounds infinitely more interesting than a Bowe Bergdahl movie.

It's weird how she dabbled with both sci-fi and fantasy (vampire movie) earlier in her career but seems hell-bent on pure realism now. I wish she applied the skills she developed on a new genre movie.
It feels like she fully embraced the acclaim for The Hurt Locker and then Zero Dark Thirty. "True events and/or realistic warfront stories is what the people want? Then I'm going to keep giving it to them!"

Dead

well not really...yet
Might not have ever really been her passion, while this stuff is. For example, Strange Days was a James Cameron movie that he gave to her as he wanted her to direct as he was about to be knee deep in Titanic not something she researching into afaik

Loved jack reynor in sing street. He deserves more in hollywood than just a transformers side role. Pretty dope cast so far

strafer

Kaitlyn Dever and Hannah Murray joins the cast

kaitlyn_dever_hannah_murrah_split_h_2016.jpg

kswiston

Where are all the black people?

A bunch of black actors have been cast. Boyega was announced months ago. I think Anthony Mackie is in this too.

Detroit was still over half white during the riots. That and the nature of the riots sort of requires both black and white actors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom