• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune holding an Event on March 15th, Talking about his future plans

Pooya

Update: it's now on April 4.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/09/inafune_talk_session/

andriasang said:
Former Capcom super developer Keiji Inafune will be breaking his silence in an upcoming talk session. At an event to be held on the 15th at Nihonbashi Cafest, Inafune will speak about his plans for the future. The event will be hosted by Nikkei Entertainment editor Hideo Shinada.

The event is titled "Donhan Inafune no Kanedobu Time!" This name comes from a meme that was formed when a video surfaced of Inafune chewing out one of his producers at Capcom, saying something along the lines of "What kind of decision was this? Are you trying to throw away money?". You can see that video here (Inafune begins his attack at the 55 second mark):

Nico Nico Douga will be holding a live broadcast of the talk event. You can view it here. The broadcast begins at 18:50.

The Nico Nico page teases that there could be a big announcement relating to Inafune's future, so fans will definitely want to tune in! Make sure you register for a free account at Nico Nico in advance.

I read Somewhere recently that Microsoft are Rumoured to be having a big announcement on the 15th, wonder if it's relative?

Damn I hope he doesn't stay platform exclusive.

I know he's gotten a lot of hate for his sometimes stupid ass opinions and statements, but he is still a legend.

Empty

The event is titled "Donhan Inafune no Kanedobu Time!" This name comes from a meme that was formed when a video surfaced of Inafune chewing out one of his producers at Capcom, saying something along the lines of "What kind of decision was this? Are you trying to throw away money?". You can see that video here (Inafune begins his attack at the 55 second mark):

i wonder what decision this was about.

There's no reason to think that Microsoft's March 15 announcement is related - that news was sent to general tech sites, not primarily or exclusively gaming sites.

huh:Could possibly be Microsoft related announcement (unlikely though).

what: And also countless number of GAF threads about Inafune for the past year or two where many posters (including myself) have just dissed the hell out of him.

I doubt that it's Microsoft, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him snapped up by a western developer/publisher. Maybe EA. Most of GAF will hope for him to go to Platinum just like every other free-floating Japanese developer (and that's not unjustified); I personally think the most interesting possible thing would be for him to go to Nintendo (and no, I don't think that's likely or even the best thing that could happen, and certainly not likely with an independent event like this, but it'd be a terrifically interesting development).

Slime

Banned
Not going to happen, but I'd love to see him join SCEJ. I think he'd be a great fit for some of the interesting/crazy stuff they do.

faridmon

He is over estimating himself if he is creating a whole event based on his next move.

''Well, I was think about my future while eating a sandwhich the other night...''

Angry Fork

Doesn't everyone hate this guy for westernizing all of Capcom's franchises? I don't know the story behind it all but I think that's what it is based on what i've read here and there. Do people still dislike him? What good things has he done that would justify people being excited about whatever he's going to announce?

Angry Fork said:
Doesn't everyone hate this guy for westernizing all of Capcom's franchises? I don't know the story behind it all but I think that's what it is based on what i've read here and there. Do people still dislike him? What good things has he done that would justify people being excited about whatever he's going to announce?
From what I understand, his crazy obsession with Western developers lead to DmC, so I can understand people being less than enthused about what he has to say.

Honestly, when people said he might appear at a Microsoft event, I thought it was silly, given how well that has gone for Japanese developers in the past, but Inafune's obsession with western development may make Microsoft a perfect fit.

TreIII

Jocchan said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he joined Platinum Games.

Oh, yeah! Inaba (head of P*) and Inafune will become bosom buddies...even though Inafune was one of the very people who basically did the most to shutter Clover Studios, and gave Inaba and his crew the impetus to leave Capcom entirely.

...Yeah, stranger things have happened, but this is what I would consider to be highly unlikely. :lol

At the least, I'm expecting Inaking to announce the opening of his own independent studio, which would then likely be bought up by some Western publisher (much like Mikami and Itagaki's studios before him).

Whatever happens, I'm hoping for the best for him. I may not have agreed with all of his decisions in the last few years, but there's no denying that has been responsible for some of the best games I've ever played, and I hope he will do more to be able to return to that much, some day.

2qx54qf.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TreIII said:
Oh, yeah! Inaba (head of P*) and Inafune will become bosom buddies...even though Inafune was one of the very people who basically did the most to shutter Clover Studios, and gave Inaba and his crew the impetus to leave Capcom entirely.

...Yeah, stranger things have happened, but this is what I would consider to be highly unlikely. :lol

At the least, I'm expecting Inaking to announce the opening of his own independent studio, which would then likely be bought up by some Western publisher (much like Mikami and Itagaki's studios before him).

Whatever happens, I'm hoping for the best for him. I may not have agreed with all of his decisions in the last few years, but there's no denying that has been responsible for some of the best games I've ever played, and I hope he will do more to be able to return to that much, some day.
I have definitely seen stranger things happen, and the fact Clover was shut down is not enough to imply things got (or, even if they did, still are to this day) necessarily messy between Inaba and Inafune themselves.
Depending on the true reasons behind Inafune leaving Capcom, which may or may not be entirely the ones we know publicly, he might still want to join other former Capcom employees that now seem to be enjoying a little bit of creative freedom.
That's why I said I wouldn't be surprised, as unlikely as something like this may seem at first glance.

sleepykyo

Angry Fork said:

Easy, people expect him to say something controversial.

Angry Fork said:
Dead Rising 1 and 2.

Angry Fork said:
Just the Japanophiles hate him, others realize he's done a lot of good things (and some bad).

slade

This guy took one of the best Japanese game developers and turned it into a B-class Western Studio. He can drown in a river for all I care.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ezekial45 said:
Btw, what ever happened to Mega Man Universe?
Inafune pretended to trip over the cable and pulled the plug before leaving. No one noticed.
Serious answer: no clue.

TreIII

ezekial45 said:
Btw, what ever happened to Mega Man Universe?

Good question.

On the other hand, now that the main opposition to Capcom continuing the X series is now out of the way, maybe that means Capcom and Inti will go and finally make X9. Of course, I do still fear what may happen to a X game made by current-era Capcom...

Top Bottom