• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program : like model rocket building but better and [no longer] free

DBT85

I started playing KSP again over the last few days, got too the Mun on several occasions in orbit, then attempted to land one and pressed space one time too many and crashed into the surface lol. Then tried again and didn't slow my lateral speed enough when trying to land so was bouncing around the surface for ages until eventually I flipped and died.

I've not really explored any of the mods or anything. Is there one that makes maneuvers a little more accurate?

I don't think I ever managed to do the tutorial or scenario where you dock your lander back with the ship in orbit and then come home. Don't think I could get my orbits close enough.

I started playing KSP again over the last few days, got too the Mun on several occasions in orbit, then attempted to land one and pressed space one time too many and crashed into the surface lol. Then tried again and didn't slow my lateral speed enough when trying to land so was bouncing around the surface for ages until eventually I flipped and died.

I've not really explored any of the mods or anything. Is there one that makes maneuvers a little more accurate?

I don't think I ever managed to do the tutorial or scenario where you dock your lander back with the ship in orbit and then come home. Don't think I could get my orbits close enough.

Mechjeb

GodofWine

I enjoy these little green men way too much...I finally put a three man crew on the Mun (with no way home..the landing was more of a crash that they survived...they slid 3000m down a crater wall).

Then I sent the 'immortals' (bill jeb bob) to visit them and landed my craft within 20m of the first crew...no way home, but they had friends.

Then I built a rescue mission ship, room for everyone, landed it within walking distance of the 6 lost kerbals only to find I did not have enough fuel to get out of Mun orbit.

Next rescue ship will need room for 8 now...

cant wait for this to be finalized with more parts a legit career mode and multiplayer. I play all stock parts for now.

DBT85

I enjoy these little green men way too much...I finally put a three man crew on the Mun (with no way home..the landing was more of a crash that they survived...they slid 3000m down a crater wall).

Then I sent the 'immortals' (bill jeb bob) to visit them and landed my craft within 20m of the first crew...no way home, but they had friends.

Then I built a rescue mission ship, room for everyone, landed it within walking distance of the 6 lost kerbals only to find I did not have enough fuel to get out of Mun orbit.

Next rescue ship will need room for 8 now...

cant wait for this to be finalized with more parts a legit career mode and multiplayer. I play all stock parts for now.

Why not send a rescue ship with no crew on board? Put the Stayupnik on top of the capsule and remove the crew.

I'd be tempted to try an Armageddon style dual launch mission!

Danj

This might be a stupid question but why has this game never received a sale discount higher than 40% off? It's been out more than a year now? Or is it because it's "Early Access", which is not considered "released", so that's why it doesn't get the same price cuts that released games do?

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
This might be a stupid question but why has this game never received a sale discount higher than 40% off? It's been out more than a year now? Or is it because it's "Early Access", which is not considered "released", so that's why it doesn't get the same price cuts that released games do?

Squad seems to generally be a bit sale shy, but honestly the game probably sells well enough that they don't feel the need to discount it more.

Ty4on

Squad seems to generally be a bit sale shy, but honestly the game probably sells well enough that they don't feel the need to discount it more.

Yeah. It's a niche game so impulse buyers may not help it that much and like Minecraft (which is still 20€) it is being updated all the time keeping the value high.

DBT85

This morning after installing some mods (Editor Extensions, Engineer Redux, HoRockets and Proc Fairings), I was toying with Engineer Redux to get my head around it a little, and in s doing put a Kerbal in orbit without enough juice to get back. Happened many times before, but today I decided to build myself a rescue ship for the first time, which also meant trying to launch from Kerbal to intercept for the first time, and then getting close enough to EVA over.

Several failed attempts and I get to within 50m, then 10m. I'm extatic, I've rescued my man. Except wait, There's a bloody Kerbal in my rescue pod! I forgot to remove the crew before launch :(. Oh, and now he was stranded too. Deep joy.

So after many mroe launches, revert to VAB and failed attempts, I managed to get two craft up to rescue my men. I even think I've finally got the hang of rendezvous!

DBT85

Just done two missions to the Mun. The first was short on fuel for a landing so had to return but with some valuable science none the less. Second ship landed fine (second attempt) and got loads of science. Final burn complete with 44m/s dV remaining!

EDIT:

Also just took my first steps on Minmus! First attempt, using the same ship that went to the Mun. Lots of Science. Sadly Jeb got stuck on my lander and I was baffled for 10 minutes as to how to get him out. EVA and RCS wouldn't work and of course I couldn't do anything like retract the legs or blow off the modules as he was outside! Fortunately the "whack a Kerbal" option in the debug menu helped me dislodge him.

Really comfortable doing landings now with my left hand on WASD and right hand on IJKL.

Good news, I finally took the time to layout a new thread for an unofficial OT for the release of .24. I will put it up as soon as .24 drops.

Any suggestions on the title? So far it is just,
Kerbal Space Program: First Contract
But I feel it could use a tag line, like
- Your Career Starts Now
- 100% More Gameplay Included
- Putting the Fun in Funds

Good news, I finally took the time to layout a new thread for an unofficial OT for the release of .24. I will put it up as soon as .24 drops.

- Your Career Starts Now
Career, now with the letter "K"

Kerbal Space Program | You need more struts

Oh I like this. How about,
Kerbal Space Program: First Contract | Strut Your Stuff

When is it due?

Should be any day now. Based on their twitter, it was about to drop yesterday right before some unforeseen bugs popped up. I know the update was about to drop based on their media push and uptick in preview streams and youtube videos that got the go ahead. This typically indicates the new update is in a 24-72 hour window of release. I suspect it to be out by the end of the week, but don't hold it against me if it doesn't. This is the first time I have seen them tweet about pulling it back at the last second due to bugs, typically they probably just keep that internal.

I polished up the unofficial OT thread layout last night, I hope to do KSP a better service with the new thread than this current one. I will continue to update it until we get to 1.0, in that case I hope I can claim the real OT thread and get help from others.

DBT85

0.24 FAQ for anyone who's not seen it

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/294-Kerbal-Space-Program-First-Contract-The-FAQ

64bit, contracts, funds, reputation, a couple of new parts and some other bits.

Looking forward to seeing what modders do with the contracts system. Already people talking about including contracts with existing mods like SCANsat.

I've still not been farther than Minmus yet. I've been fiddling with docking and rendezvous (docking port alignment indicator highly recommended!) and yesterday built my first vessel in orbit around Kerbin to go to the Mun. Just one launch with a command pod and one launch with a lander, docked and then sent to the mun to visit some of the other biomes.

Needed more fuel though. I topped it up before I came back and left the lander in orbit. When I return I'll take more fuel and mono so that I can visit more of the biomes and maybe see an arch.

A screen of some of my docking practice with the docking alignment tool and the Kerbal Engineer Redux tool which is great and gives out a huge amount of very important information.

My orbiting tanker had three docking ports on it which I successfully filled before deorbiting all of the modules and the tanker itself.

NnN3Z8B.jpg

GodofWine

- Your Career Starts Now

- Will work for boosters
- Jeb Got a J-O-B
- Litho-braking aint easy

strata8

Disappointed at the amount of activity in this thread :(

Working on a Mun base at the moment, here are the vehicles I've built so far:
mun-vehicles.jpg

From left to right: Manned rover (1 internal, 4 external seats), orbit-to-surface shuttle (8 seats), main base module (9 seats, 2 escape pods), crane for base assembly.

Also built a family of launchers, here's the largest one (170 tons to orbit):
3XuGX66.jpg

No mods so far but I do use Kerbal Engineer for deltaV calculations.

Disappointed at the amount of activity in this thread :(

Working on a Mun base at the moment, here are the vehicles I've built so far:
mun-vehicles.jpg

From left to right: Manned rover (1 internal, 4 external seats), orbit-to-surface shuttle (8 seats), main base module (9 seats, 2 escape pods), crane for base assembly.

Also built a family of launchers, here's the largest one (170 tons to orbit):
3XuGX66.jpg

No mods so far but I do use Kerbal Engineer for deltaV calculations.

Wow, awesome stuff man. I recently started using Kerbal Engineer for delta V as well to try to refine more of my mission planning (I love playing KSP stock). I got tired of being either way way over engineered for a mission, left with tons of fuel to burn, or coming in just shy to complete a mission.

So, the new thread is done, I am happy with the layout. I suppose I could post it now, since it isn't an OT and either way, .24 will likely be out by the end of the week. I guess it feels more appropriate to post it the instant .24 goes live. Either way, I want to get some GAF KSP momentum going again. This update is going to be such a huge step for this game, especially on the tails of another awesome up date, .23.

GodofWine

Wow, awesome stuff man. I recently started using Kerbal Engineer for delta V as well to try to refine more of my mission planning (I love playing KSP stock). I got tired of being either way way over engineered for a mission, left with tons of fuel to burn, or coming in just shy to complete a mission.

So, the new thread is done, I am happy with the layout. I suppose I could post it now, since it isn't an OT and either way, .24 will likely be out by the end of the week. I guess it feels more appropriate to post it the instant .24 goes live. Either way, I want to get some GAF KSP momentum going again. This update is going to be such a huge step for this game, especially on the tails of another awesome up date, .23.

Id wait till .24 goes live, just to avoid confusion (we gaffers confuse easily :) )

Im home with my 3yr old son today cause he has a fever...he's gonna be sleeping on the couch all day...t'would be a good day for .24 to drop.

When they add mulitplayer, I expect great things from gaf.

I only found out yesterday that I could transfer my webstore bought copy to steam, so I did.

Not played the game for a while so I have a lot of updates to go over and check out.

Id wait till .24 goes live, just to avoid confusion (we gaffers confuse easily :) )

Im home with my 3yr old son today cause he has a fever...he's gonna be sleeping on the couch all day...t'would be a good day for .24 to drop.

When they add mulitplayer, I expect great things from gaf.

I think multiplayer will come sooner than later. There are already mods that roughly piece together a multiplayer experience. I am sure the major hurdle is time warping. Even just getting a 6 player server would be amazing, if it can scale up to something like a GAF Minecraft server experience, it would be incredible. Either way, they have Sandbox mode feature complete, Career mode is getting a huge step forward with .24 and finer details like performance issues and bugs are being addressed with each update. If anything, I feel like they are being too conservative with their update numbering. The jump from .20 to .24 is huge, something you would think would put them at least at .30. I guess that is nitpicking,

Their current planned features list can be found here.

Looking through that list is really encouraging. Almost all of the planned features have a head start in the modding community, if not fully functional "planned features" in the form of mods. I wouldn't be surprised to see KSP on the cusp of a 1.0 release by the end of 2015 by the way they have improved their work flow and expanded their team.

Don't forget the new 64 bit support is going to be essential for some of the bigger multiplayer games...

Good thing we are getting 64-bit with .24! Take all the RAM you need KSP, I've got 16gb with your name on it. (I guess a little less due to OS reservations)

The possibilities with KSP multiplayers are crazy. You could have multiple people working together under one space program, designing rockets together, launching on the same ship, launching two ships at once from different launch pads, mining resources while the other player spends them, mapping and exploring the kosmos, etc.

I would love to see server slots be defined by a finite amount of launch pads spread across Kerbin. The facilities would all be the same, but your location and "company" would be different. You could share resources like science via a network of satalites that connect your two facilities, or just fly a space plane over to their base and drop off a boat load of funds. Damn, just talking about this stuff gets me so hyped for .24 and the future of KSP. It is such an awesome game.

onesvenus

Is it a demanding game? I'd like to try it but my current laptop is 7 tests old although it was quite powerful (core 2 duo, 4GB of RAM and a dedicated nvidia card)

Lach

Is it a demanding game? I'd like to try it but my current laptop is 7 tests old although it was quite powerful (core 2 duo, 4GB of RAM and a dedicated nvidia card)

It's pretty CPU so I guess it won't run very well.
[edit] I have a notebook with a mobile i7 processor and it had trouble with it though I haven't played too much with the settings....

As Lach said, it can get pretty CPU intensive, so it can be tough on laptops. I never downloaded the community created 64 bit exe so I have no idea what performance boosts to expect with the new release. Part count on your ship tends to be where things get rough. No matter what rig you have, if you build ships with really high part counts, your game is going to be chugging during launch, where the physics simulations are the most intense. As the Unity engine improves, so does KSP. Even .23 runs better than ever, can't wait to push .24 to its limits.

DBT85

64bit should really only make it easier for having more mods going at once. It won't make any difference to part counts and the like.

troopershades

Neo Member
Sounds similar to my lappy. Got a core 2 duo but I think I have 8GB of ram tho. Gtx270m card. It runs fine for me. I generally play on my desktop tho but when I travel my lappy hasn't let me down yet.
EDIT
I haven't built any major rockets either so that should be noted and when things go kablooie as they tend to when I'm in the design chair it can bog down.

Top Bottom