• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kermode & Mayo's Take |OT| Two old guys reviewing movies.

GeekyDad

Been enjoying their weekly movie reviews for years now. Formally with the BBC, they went off on their own a short time ago. Please feel free to discuss past episodes (I'll provide the links below to both their old BBC channel and the new channel), as well as what's current. I thought this particular review might be a fun one to start the thread off with:

And of course they reviewed this one this week as well:

Their current channel: https://www.youtube.com/@kermodeandmayostake
When they were with the BBC (Lots of great reviews there as well): https://www.youtube.com/@kermodeandmayo

Their current format breaks up the weekly videos into individual movie reviews, the weekly interview (usually a main cast member or the director), the entire show, as well as the Top 10 for the week and my particular favorite 2 to 3-minute segment called the "Laughter Lift."

Enjoy

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Never been a fan of Kermode to be honest. He was the guy that started out on the fringe/genre side of film criticism in the UK, but always seemed more intent on proving his political bona-fides to the mainstream in-group (Time Out, Sight and Sound, Guardian et. al.) than anything else. Good career choice for him, but made him kinda uninteresting to me, especially compared to many of his contemporaries.

GeekyDad

Never been a fan of Kermode to be honest. He was the guy that started out on the fringe/genre side of film criticism in the UK, but always seemed more intent on proving his political bona-fides to the mainstream in-group (Time Out, Sight and Sound, Guardian et. al.) than anything else. Good career choice for him, but made him kinda uninteresting to me, especially compared to many of his contemporaries.
Honestly, sometimes I am so taken aback by his opinions of a movie, but at the same time I feel like those opinions are honest. I've watched movies he's raved about I loathed, and vice versa. But I think their new format is a bit more fun. They've snipped it into nice bite-sized pieces, and the laughter lift is just good fun -- awesome bad jokes.

Top Bottom