• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerry:Climate Change Skeptics Believe Water is Just Going to Spill Over flat earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

koji kabuto

Kerry: Climate Change Skeptics Believe 'Extra Water is Just Going to Spill Over the Sides of a Flat Earth

(CNSNews.com) - Secretary of State John Kerry says, climate change skeptics believe that with “the melting of the ice and the rise of sea level, all that extra water is just going to spill over the sides of a flat Earth.”

Kerry made the comments Wednesday at the Global Fishing Watch reception in Washington, D.C.

“We now have the highest rate of increase of acidity in the ocean in 50 million years,” Kerry said. “And believe it or not scientists have the ability to measure that.”

“And that acidity changes the capacity of particularly crustaceans to be able to grow. I’ve seen tests that show what happens with clams when they’re exposed to higher levels of pH, and you see the diminished size of the clams.”

“So, lobsters could conceivably lose the hard shell – I mean, you can run the list of these challenges – and none of them exaggerated, except perhaps to that small group of people in America who still block things from happening because they somehow believe that with global climate change and the melting of the ice and the rise of sea level, all that extra water is just going to spill over the sides of a flat Earth,” Kerry said.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/eri...ics-believe-extra-water-just-going-spill-over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Z_gCCKMz8

Throw me off the edge of flat earth if old.

213372bu

Banned
I think it's a throwaway comment regarding a group of people, not news on the beliefs of Flat Earthers.

lol @ higher pH means more acidic waters though.

Oh no, Kerry is a flat earther? That's depressing.

05SpbmD.gif

Now try reading the OP.

My apologies. I mistaken myself. Need to get out of the habit of just reading the title. I have been off the ball today. Once again, I'm sorry.

OT: The climate deniers are gonna kill us all and when they see the end, they'll still deny it had something to do with climate change.

Edit 2: People think I'm a troll? It was a mistake people, geez.

In reality this is quite stupid, but water spilling over the side of a flat earth is a really great mental image. Has something like that been done in fantasy/scifi before?

KHarvey16

In reality this is quite stupid, but water spilling over the side of a flat earth is a really great mental image. Has something like that been done in fantasy/scifi before?

Lol, being silly is pretty much a fundamental characteristic of any anti-climate change position.

Yes, the image of falling water flowing into oblivion is a common concept for the edge of the world, featured in classics such as Pirates of the Caribbean

Brakke

Banned
Kerry said:
And that acidity changes the capacity of particularly crustaceans to be able to grow. I’ve seen tests that show what happens with clams when they’re exposed to higher levels of pH, and you see the diminished size of the clams.

Well "higher levels of pH" means "less acidic" so we don't have anything to worry about then.

Nice.

Soft shelled lobsters?

I better get a move on and eat more meat then get those carbon emissions up. I cant wait to eat weak armoured pinchy.

Man, I really like Kerry. He hasn't had a lot of huge successes, but he's negotiated a lot of successful peace talks, and just generally seems to act like a responsible adult interested in what's best for people.

Oh no, Kerry is a flat earther? That's depressing.

Now try reading the OP.

Gaf's sarcasm detector broke when Trump got the nomination Roller, but I got you.

Neat, an actual Red vs Blue scenario. Bet you can't stick it.

My apologies. I mistaken myself. Need to get out of the habit of just reading the title. I have been off the ball today. Once again, I'm sorry.

OT: The climate deniers are gonna kill us all and when they see the end, they'll still deny it had something to do with climate change.

Edit 2: People think I'm a troll? It was a mistake people, geez.

Would have been a golden sarcasm reply too.

edit: also, living in the Netherlands, I have already accepted that buying a house here is a really bad idea for a future investment. Not much value in underwater areas.

It's a thing in the Discworld series. The oceans flow off the edges of the Disc, cooling the elephants that support the world as they bear its weight upon the shell of A'tuin, the great turtle, as it swims through the heavens.

It's a very silly place.

Monocle

Kerry was right to challenge the global warm skeptics, and brave to challenge a scientific article of faith as entrenched as the notion that Earth is a ball suspended in some sort of giant empty room. It might look like he's poking fun at the Flat Earth Hypothesis, but that's only because any other tone would have got him shut down by the liberal media.

Isn't it convenient that going along with the establishment is the only way to get media coverage? The media has created an echo chamber to make us think "everyone" agrees with planet theory.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
“highest rate of increase of acidity in the ocean in 50 million years,” Kerry said.

“higher levels of pH, and you see the diminished size of the clams.”

Smh, Kerry, I thought you were better than this. /s

You know, I wonder, how many years have these deniers cost the attempts to reach a deal that would help us curb the effects of climate change?

I seriously hope these people don't have children to pass their ignorance to. But chances are, it's the same people who are taught by the scriptures to have as many children as possible.

MikeDown

Banned
I'm okay with a warmer climate and rising ocean levels, for starters that means I will tan better and secondly I have this amazing idea for where I can set up some beach front real estate.

Monocle

I'm okay with a warmer climate and rising ocean levels, for starters that means I will tan better and secondly I have this amazing for where I can set up some beach front real estate.
No one's been able to prove to me that all this global warming stuff isn't just a collective whine from people who hate summer.

Maybe if they'd spend as much time building their beach bod as they've wasted complaining about the weather, the rest of us wouldn't have to be bored to death by "green this" and "green that."

Cyan

Banned

The Narnia books. Voyage of the Dawn Treader, specifically.

And plenty of others, it's sort of a classic image when doing a flat earth story.

In terms of recentish movies, Asgard in Thor has that sorta. Also the Earth in Gods of Egypt is Flat. But you don't really see a closeup of the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom