• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Costner's Horizon- An American Saga

AJUMP23

It’s four movies. One and Two were finished before the strikes. There and Four were delayed due to the strikes.
Sounds even better.

Not a speck of dirt on anyone in the trailer. Everyone’s freshly bathed with spotless outfits…
That is very accurate about the west. Everyone wanted to see the fashion and was bathed and spotless. We also learned in 1883 that teenage girls from that time period had modern sensibilities.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
This looks fucking epic. I absolutely loved Costner's other westerns (Dances with Wolves, Open Range) and I'm going to be in a cinema on day 1!

near

Gold Member
Yes it’s not like Costner won an Oscar for directing a Western epic or anything.
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Taylor Sheridan is the man.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll just copy over what I said in the Western thread:

Do mah eyes deceive me or do we only have to wait TWO MONTHS betwixt chapters? HALLIELUJAH!!!! Bout DAMN TIME they figured out this "part 1/part 2" nonsense and how to do it right! -hang on, there are 2 more acomin'?

It does bother me a bit that the only villain seems to be that rat faced bandit kid. I know Costners claim to fame was humanizing the noble savage but I hope there are some more nuances. I feel like manifest destiny, western expansion, and the general flow of human migration into/at the expense of the current population is something that requires a delicate touch these days as it's pretty easy to make white settlers "the bad guys" but then to look at migration now that is often as antagonistic....its tough.

I was kinda hoping for more of a Silverado "glory to the Western FILM" vibe rather than a more serious historical bent, but I'll be there regardless. Costner is in like 3 of my top 5 westerns, he has a gift for them for sure.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yes it’s not like Costner won an Oscar for directing a Western epic or anything.

Dances with Wolves was incredibly successful at the Oscars. The movie received TWELVE Academy Award nominations and it bagged seven of those:
  • Best Picture
  • Best Director
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Film Editing
  • Best Original Score
  • Best Sound

kruis

BTW It's so nice to get an old fashioned epic movie based on an original story (AFAIK) that's made for an adult audience instead of teens and comic book nerds. Epic movies like these were common place up till the 2000s, but have become incredibly rare these days. Hollywood doesn't believe in this genre and Costner had to mortgage his house to get this made:

The Yellowstone actor told Deadline that following month that he has been developing the movie franchise in various forms since 1988 and found trouble getting "anybody to make it." Instead, he partially funded the project himself by taking out a mortgage on his 10-acre home in Santa Barbara, California, as he revealed at the time.“I’ve mortgaged 10 acres on the water in Santa Barbara where I was going to build my last house,” he said. “But I did it without a thought. It has thrown my accountant into a f---ing conniption fit. But it’s my life, and I believe in the idea and the story.”

Hopefully Horizon becomes a huge success and Hollywood execs will realize there's a huge audience waiting for movies like these.

Not a speck of dirt on anyone in the trailer. Everyone’s freshly bathed with spotless outfits…

This bothered me more than anything and I'm happy I wasn't the only one that noticed.

There are reports that people in the wild west didn't bath a lot. Life back then was less than hygienic

Last edited:

Oberstein

Okay, I'm in.
Surprisingly the trailer doesn't breathe the usual unmitigated "evil white man" mantra we see.
It looks balanced. And Kevin Costner is a big yes.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I hope there is an English guy playing and American. Who just speaks with an English accent.

(I will never forget waterworld Costner!!)

AJUMP23

Remember that long stretch in which Kevin Costner was in epic after epic? I think the Postman kind of killed that but it seemed he was in all these huge, long movies for like a decade.
Ya the Postman really stopped that run. It is an OK film it just isn't great compared to what came before. It is very rough around the edges.

Open Range came and went, but I really think it is one of his best.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It does bother me a bit that the only villain seems to be that rat faced bandit kid. I know Costners claim to fame was humanizing the noble savage but I hope there are some more nuances. I feel like manifest destiny, western expansion, and the general flow of human migration into/at the expense of the current population is something that requires a delicate touch these days as it's pretty easy to make white settlers "the bad guys" but then to look at migration now that is often as antagonistic....its tough.
1883 has that nuance i feel where they had the indians doing some savage shit, but at the same time, it was payback for what the white people did to their families. At the end of the raid, I was like these savages are cool lmao. Taylor Sheridan and Kevin Costner are both a bit guilty of romanticizing the indians just a tiny bit too much.

I think the west at the time was pretty black and white. I mean you could humanize the bandits like they did in Assassination of Jesse James, or show them for what they truly were, murdering bastards. If 1883 tried to humanize the numerous bandits i wouldve been like no thanks and checked out. We tend to view everything with the current lens where everything is contextualized and there are no bad guys, even joker gets a backstory nowadays, but lets face it, not all raids were paybacks. The Comanches were just mean old bastards. Like you said though, in the current climate its impossible to make them villains. Maybe in a decade or two we can go back and tell some of these other stories about this insane time period. I personally loved the Comanches in 1883. That dude was awesome.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Remember that long stretch in which Kevin Costner was in epic after epic? I think the Postman kind of killed that but it seemed he was in all these huge, long movies for like a decade.
Yeah, he had a real stealth run of some amazing films.

I always thought he would have been a great Jack Ryan and could have probably done the classic run more justice than Baldwin and Ford (though they were all great). No Way Out shoulda put him in that series for sure. I could give up Dances with Wolves to not have Waterworld if that was the scheduling trade off I had to make :p Just gotta keep Robin Hood:poT and The Bodyguard though, if only for the soundtracks :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it was waterworld.

I am glad hes made a comeback. I fucking love him in yellowstone and it reminded me why he was such a massive superstar in the late 80s up to the mid 90s.

It's a shame this movie came at the expense of yellowstone, but the show is pretty much reached its peak anyway and the prequels are much more raw and interesting.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It started good, but the daughter was insufferable and extremely unrealistic in what wagon trains were like. We had a whole thread discussing it. I was entertained, but I had a lot of issue with it.
The real story was Sam Elliot, WORST TOUR GUIDE EVER!

That daughter was smoking hot though, made it worth watching just for her alone. Not sure WTF happened to Faith Hill though.

Anyone watch the 1923 one with Harrison Ford? Any good?

I gotta space out my Taylor Sheridan viewing, his style, while enjoyable, needs room to breathe.

AJUMP23

Just type in the search bar 1883.

You can do it.

Top Bottom