• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you done with U.S. based airlines for recreational travel?

Mooreberg

To clarify, I'm not singling out American Airlines or U.S. Airways, etc. And I'm aware that employment obligations, weddings, funerals, kids to Disney world etc. are required. But does anyone actually like flying at all for a random week off?

I attempted to take a direct two hour flight to Las Vegas. So far as I can tell, this is the aviation equivalent of a bus taking a right turn and driving 1.5 miles to a designated stop. After eight hours, which included being seated on a plane for an hour with so many fumes entering the cabin that I thought Kevin Hart tried to stop at a Circle K for licorice, the flight was cancelled. The royal rumble with "chat" customer service (God forbid anyone answers a phone) is slated for tomorrow. I'm wondering why I or anyone else willingly subjects themselves to this. Flying after 9/11 was not this bad.

Props to William (edit pending if hand written note from the airport states otherwise) at Treasure Island for sparing me from the cost of five nights of accomodations I will not be present for.

What does Pete Buttigieg do all day? Besides the the first four letters of his surname?

Puscifer

international travel is where it’s at. USD is strong.
Literally went to Japan twice (once in 2017, once in 2018) for the same price as going to Hawaii, I mean I'm sorry but fuck that when you start pricing it out it's a complete scam where you can go all over Asia for the price of some American places domestically.

Last edited:

Azzurri

I basically only go to Las Vegas and usually just fly SouthWest since it's the only direct flight at a good time.

Thaedolus

Japan is 100% the most fun I ever had on vacation. Flights are cheap, a J Rail pass gets you unlimited access to the Shinkansen for like 75% of the country, a nice business man will approach you to help you figure out where to go, a grandma will scold you for spilling your rice in her hole in the wall restaurant Kyoto….

Go to Japan

ahtlas7

EU with their surprise strikes can shit on plans. Edit: strike averted. Flights back on!

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Just feels like the seats are getting more and more crammed, it's insufferable.

Domestic travel is cake though. People that complain about budget airlines and "only travel Delta" must not travel enough. Ive flown them all. It's the same shit

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Literally went to Japan twice (once in 2017, once in 2018) for the same price as going to Hawaii, I mean I'm sorry but fuck that when you start pricing it out it's a complete scam where you can go all over Asia for the price of some American places domestically.
That's where I'm at this year. Finally got some money together for a vacation, and the wife and I are going to spend 2 weeks in Japan for about half the price of what it would have cost to stay in Hawaii. And that's just the airfare/hotel - I'm sure we'll save a bunch more on food and other things while we're there.

a J Rail pass gets you unlimited access to the Shinkansen for like 75% of the country
Shame these almost doubled in price last year. Seems to only really be worth it anymore if you're gonna be there for longer than a month, or if you're riding the Shinkansen every day.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Delta has been solid for me with my domestic travel lately. I choose them for my regular routes and they treat me well. If I can't take Delta I'll go United or Southwest.

I just won't fly American any more. They've left me literally stranded too many times. If you take a budget airline like Spirit or Allegiant you kind of expect to be treated like shit, but when you pay major carrier rates getting dumped on just isn't acceptable. I've been stuck in Charlotte and American refused to rebook me after canceling my connection. They've done this twice. No more.

I haven't flown internationally in a few years but when it did it was on Emirates, Qatar or Etihad. Their business class pods are amazing if you're going to someplace in Asia like Dubai or India. Took Qatar to Manila a few times, too. A regular first class seat to London or Paris on Delta isn't that bad. It's tolerable in coach if you have an aisle seat.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The best airline alternative is Hertz Rent-a-Car. :messenger_beaming:

My sentimental fav is United, but I like JetBlue generally when I can, and used to fly them often DAL-HOU, but what I do right now is avoid flying, see above. I'm in a pickle right now needing to get to Arizona in a few weeks and trying to figure out if I will once again fly (for the first time in over a year) or drive (which I haven't done and it's a little longer than the Houston drive that I often make).

Worst experiences generally with Delta.

All the planes are about equally uncomfortable in my experience. It's not the size of the seat so much as the shape of the seatbacks and such.
There's no way to sit comfortably in them.
It's not the airlines really that make me not fly, though, it's the BS security.

Last edited:
Japan is 100% the most fun I ever had on vacation. Flights are cheap, a J Rail pass gets you unlimited access to the Shinkansen for like 75% of the country, a nice business man will approach you to help you figure out where to go, a grandma will scold you for spilling your rice in her hole in the wall restaurant Kyoto….

Go to Japan
Yongyea turned me off from going to Japan with his infinite wealth.

I used to have to fly back and forth cross-country multiple times a year, sometimes even a month and I absolutely hated using American Airlines or United. Virgin was always the best, but they didn't service most of the places I had to go. Haven't flown in a long time since then though and don't really intend to unless I absolutely have to. I dread even thinking about it.

mclaren777

I have TSA precheck, I really like Alaska Airlines, and I always fly non-stop.

Flying domestic is great! In fact, I'll be flying to San Antonio in 14 days for the eclipse.

Azzurri

Just don't fly from or through Chicago O'hare.

Literally every time I have a connecting flight thru O'hare it's ALWAYS delayed.

Last edited:

natjjohn

Just feels like the seats are getting more and more crammed, it's insufferable.

Domestic travel is cake though. People that complain about budget airlines and "only travel Delta" must not travel enough. Ive flown them all. It's the same shit

I was confused at the OP’s. His flight got cancelled. That’s been happening forever. Sometimes get really unlucky.

Been flying a couple flights a year for awhile and havent picked up on any major discernible difference other than baggage check in being upcharged except Southwest. I know a lot of people love Delta, but my unluckiest experiences have almost exclusively been Delta.

Not seeing these cheap Japan flights being referenced. Did a quick search out of curiosity and highly expensive

Durien

Not seeing these cheap Japan flights being referenced. Did a quick search out of curiosity and highly expensive
Yeah you need to stay on top of flights and watch for deals. I flew ANA to Japan for the first time last July and it was glorious. I had head room, comfortable seats, free sake. I felt like royalty. The meals though are hit or miss. Doesn't matter though as I usually bring my own food.
Flying domestic, I use Alaska except to Hawaii when I use Hawaii Airlines. Delta is probably my least favorite.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You can also try flying into somewhere else in Asia and making your own connection to Tokyo. E.g., stop over in Manila or some such. Japan is projected to have its biggest tourism year ever so the flights will be on the pricey side. Still possible to find deals though.

Top Bottom