• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Luckily U.K ban doesn't include U.A.E as there is a significant chance that I have to fly through there in Sept/Oct, and fuck putting valuable electronics in the hold.

F!ReW!Re

So people still think this "just to annoy people" from those countries.

Sounded like they had some info from the beginning and it's a sound safety/precaution method.

I'm going on my honeymoon via Dubai in August. We were really worried it would be affected too... Hopefully it stays ok. I need to take my cameras for some good photos, and some films to watch on the laptop when we're not enjoying the sun (amongst other things). From UK fyi.

So people still think this "just to annoy people" from those countries.

Sounded like they had some info from the beginning and it's a sound safety/precaution method.

Let's say they had. Now that terrorist is alarmed and will book a flight with an airline that is not affected by this.

Kifimbo

Consider me skeptical. It sounds like the US government didn't even warn their allies, even Canada which is directly involved because of preclearance customs. Now other countries are all scrambling. You'd think if the threat was serious, the knowledge of this threat would have been common knowledge in most Western countries before this morning.

Flo_Evans

Its actually kind of crazy they let you take large lithium ion batteries on planes in the 1st place. They aren't exactly the most stable things.

Z3K

I'm going on my honeymoon via Dubai in August. We were really worried it would be affected too... Hopefully it stays ok. I need to take my cameras for some good photos, and some films to watch on the laptop when we're not enjoying the sun (amongst other things). From UK fyi.

So far flights to and from UK to UAE are not affected, but might change by august.

London Heathrow to Dubai is the world's 2nd busiest international route so I can see this might be a bit of headache to implement.

Jumeira

Banned
So far flights to and from UK to UAE are not affected, but might change by august.

London Heathrow to Dubai is the world's 2nd busiest international route so I can see this might be a bit of headache to implement.

Yeah, lots of Brits flying back and forth, could be extremely disruptive. I get a lot of work during these flights :(

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Whoa whoa if this has a valid terror threat I fully support it . Some random airline lobby stuff def don't . But given uk also did this yes support and I doubt you or me or anyone outside the anti terrorism ppl would know how and why this is effective . So leave it to the experts imo

As valid as his earlier bans? This clearly coming from an administration that throwing as much shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.

FyreWulff

Whoa whoa if this has a valid terror threat I fully support it . Some random airline lobby stuff def don't . But given uk also did this yes support and I doubt you or me or anyone outside the anti terrorism ppl would know how and why this is effective . So leave it to the experts imo

You can still check them in luggage. So whatever it is would still be doable.

greepoman

As valid as his earlier bans? This clearly coming from an administration that throwing as much shit on the wall and seeing what sticks.

Yeah it almost reminds of the whole abortion clinic strategy change. Can't outright ban it? Well we're just going to make you jump through all the hoops, humiliate you, delay you,etc until you you no longer want the thing we can't ban.

Pixieking

Banned
Today's Washington Post WorldViews deals with the new electronics ban

”It's weird, because it doesn't match a conventional threat model," said Nicholas Weaver, a researcher at the International Computer Science Institute at the University of California, Berkeley, in an interview with the Guardian. ”If you assume the attacker is interested in turning a laptop into a bomb, it would work just as well in the cargo hold. If you're worried about hacking, a cellphone is a computer."

Saj Ahmad, the chief analyst at aviation consultancy firm StrategicAero Research in London, told Al Jazeera that the move seems to contradict the U.S. federal aviation authority's own stated concerns over the presence of lithium batteries (which are found in laptops and other such devices) in a plane's cargo hold. He also noted that the new edicts wouldn't deter a terror attack launched from an airport in Paris or Brussels — European capitals where jihadist cells have already carried out deadly and spectacular attacks.

”It does nothing to prevent security [threats] from places like France that have suffered a lot of terrorism in recent years," said Ahmad. ”How would Homeland Security mitigate against a passenger from France with a device in the cabin in that situation?"

The answer, critics suggest, is that the electronics ban is not about security.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This whole story is very strange. Let's say there's a potential threat discovered via the intelligence community and there are some airports more vulnerable than others (it has to be directed at the airports, not at airlines as that's where the security checks are happening). Then why the US and UK lists are different? Why are any other flights from those airports no affected by the ban? How is this going to stop a terrorist from flying with a laptop from one of the affected airports to France for example and fly later to UK or US from there? How is this going to stop a radicalised European from France or Belgium for example from bringing a laptop onto a US or UK flight?

womfalcs3

Banned
This whole story is very strange. Let's say there's a potential threat discovered via the intelligence community and there are some airports more vulnerable than others (it has to be directed at the airports, not at airlines as that's where the security checks are happening). Then why the US and UK lists are different? Why are any other flights from those airports no affected by the ban? How is this going to stop a terrorist from flying with a laptop from one of the affected airports to France for example and fly later to UK or US from there? How is this going to stop a radicalised European from France or Belgium for example from bringing a laptop onto a US or UK flight?

The intel is about terrorist groups in the Mid East?

Sony

Nintendo
So transparent what they want with this. It's not safety. This grants customs and police officers to copy the data on travelers' personal devices (laptop, tablet, smartphones) without reasonable suspicion. They basically want to copy your hard-drive.

pigeon

Banned
The radicalised in Europe are also linked with the Mid East terrorist groups.

Plus, as I already wrote, they could just take a flight from Jordan to France.

As DHS reported during the first Muslim van, in fact most terrorist activity comes from people who get radicalized while living in a Western country. The ban doesn't affect those people at all, except to make them more radicalized.

RiZ III

I think it's pretty obvious this is intended to cut down emirates, etihad, qatar, and turkish airways, which have been kicking the butts of american airlines for the past five years. These airlines are going to lose a lot of buisiness travel. WaPo had an article saying the same thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-certain-airlines-heres-the-underlying-story/

It may not be about security. Three of the airlines that have been targeted for these measures — Emirates, Etihad Airways and Qatar Airways — have long been accused by their U.S. competitors of receiving massive effective subsidies from their governments. These airlines have been quietly worried for months that President Trump was going to retaliate. This may be the retaliation.

These three airlines, as well as the other airlines targeted in the order, are likely to lose a major amount of business from their most lucrative customers — people who travel in business class and first class. Business travelers are disproportionately likely to want to work on the plane — the reason they are prepared to pay business-class or first-class fares is because it allows them to work in comfort. These travelers are unlikely to appreciate having to do all their work on smartphones, or not being able to work at all. The likely result is that many of them will stop flying on Gulf airlines, and start traveling on U.S. airlines instead.

As the Financial Times notes, the order doesn’t affect only the airlines’ direct flights to and from the United States — it attacks the “hub” airports that are at the core of their business models. These airlines not only fly passengers directly from the Gulf region to the United States — they also fly passengers from many other destinations, transferring them from one plane to another in the hubs. This “hub and spoke” approach is a standard economic model for long-haul airlines, offering them large savings. However, it also creates big vulnerabilities. If competitors or unfriendly states can undermine or degrade the hub, they can inflict heavy economic damage.

Pixieking

Banned
So many moronic things here, I just cannot explain...

With UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Turkey, there's going to be a vast number of Western/non-Muslim travellers. Businessmen, Western-born teachers (the international teaching circuit is big in the Middle East), and diplomats. So it really will affect a lot of people that the US and UK governments hadn't thought of, I think.

Then, figure that Turkey has two airports, as does Jordan. And Sabiha Gokcen in Turkey is actually used by smaller carriers for international transfers.

So, you can actually fly from Jordan or Turkey [dunno why I put Kuwait there originally] to the UK, via an airport and airline that isn't included on this list.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Just checking this... I could fly from Jordan (Queen Alia) to London (Heathrow) via Athens (El. Venizelos), using Aegean Air. Since Aegean isn't on the airline list, I assume that any electronics would be allowed in cabin. If true, it makes a mockery of their "security" reasons.

My thoery is they (FAA/CIA/NSA) make it a rule so they can search potential terrorist's electronic equiptments in the cargo bay secretly.

What UK did was just fan following blindly.

Pixieking

Banned
Oh, talk of going through laptops reminded me...

Touch ID and Fingerprint to Unlock. How would that work? Would security do everything they could to break it, or what?

In before we find out CIA/Saudi Arabia just gave 100,000 notebooks and ipads to Syrian revels

Maybe they wanna mount the Ipads in there 50,000 dollar Toyota trucks?

Yousefb

Dude wtf? I'm from Kuwait and constantly travel back and forth from there to the states. So if I take British airways for example, does this ban still hold? Or is it only if I take Kuwait airways? Either way this is so inconvenient and I just cannot believe is actually happening. For the past 10 years I have been going in and out with thankfully no problems. This just sucks.

iMax

Touch ID and Fingerprint to Unlock. How would that work? Would security do everything they could to break it, or what?

Best way to protect yourself is to use robust file encryption with a secure password.

Pixieking

Banned
Best way to protect yourself is to use robust file encryption with a secure password.

Mmmmm... I'm just wondering about removing the M.2 and SATA drives from our laptops to take in an anti-static bag in cabin, and setting-up TouchID on the iPad.

I mean, hard drives are electronic, but they're not electronic devices. And the UK rules seem to allow for anything up to the size of a Kindle, so they can't complain.

Surely?

Edit: Assuming external hard drives are allowed in cabin, this'll at least protect businesses and journalists - have basic OS and software installed on the laptop, and then all personal/proprietary/work documents on the external drive in carry-on.

Dougald

When TouchID is enabled, your iOS device is also encrypted. I really, really doubt airport security can break it (though who is to say whether government agencies can)

Today's Washington Post WorldViews deals with the new electronics ban
The "good" news is that if other western countries don't follow suit, we'll have a real world benchmark on the security and economic efficiency of these measures.

When TouchID is enabled, your iOS device is also encrypted. I really, really doubt airport security can break it (though who is to say whether government agencies can)
I think a real world scenario would go down like this: "unlock it, sir" "no" "we will have to detain you". Let's not forget airport security are empowered to behave like assholes, and at the end of the day, when faced with the possibility of missing a flight if not being banned, convenience trumps principles for many people.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Dude wtf? I'm from Kuwait and constantly travel back and forth from there to the states. So if I take British airways for example, does this ban still hold? Or is it only if I take Kuwait airways? Either way this is so inconvenient and I just cannot believe is actually happening. For the past 10 years I have been going in and out with thankfully no problems. This just sucks.

It was also inconvenient when they stopped letting bring your normal-sized toiletries and other fluids in your hand luggage.

Inconvenience > holes in the plane

Dougald

I think a real world scenario would go down like this: "unlock it, sir" "no" "we will have to detain you". Let's not forget airport security are empowered to behave like assholes, and at the end of the day, when faced with the possibility of missing a flight if not being banned, convenience trumps principles for many people.

If you're not a US citizen, that's pretty much what happens anyway

Pixieking

Banned

Thing is, this actually reduces security in that sense. If your iPad has to go into hold, then it's checked and taken away from you before you hit security. Now, certainly you could be pulled out at of line at security if they knew what piece of luggage was yours and wanted you to unlock the device, but this seems unlikely unless there were some other factors in play - body language, language spoken, colour of skin, etc.

Though I'll be honest and say that I have only ever seen 1 person removed out of line to be detained for questioning, and that was some 50 year old white guy with his wife, so *shrugs*

Yousefb

It was also inconvenient when they stopped letting bring your normal-sized toiletries and other fluids in your hand luggage.

Inconvenience > holes in the plane
Yeah sure so let's only apply this to very specific (major successful) airlines.

Edit: what about the other way around? If I'm going from the states to Kuwait does this rule apply too? Or are security concerns only a one way street?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom