• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major US airlines lobby Trump to block Arab competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

It's amazing how quickly, and severely, travel to the US is becoming more and more unattractive.

If I was living somewhere that requires taking a 10 to 20 hour long trip to get to America, I simply wouldn't bother visiting if I had to fly with an American airline.
I don't even know anyone who had a decent experience with US airlines. They can get fucked.
This is by design. Trump & co detest foreigners.

FiraB

Banned
Unfair competition.

Oh because they actual offer services, they have a staff member for nearly every language on long haul flights. Provided free meals,c heap snacks and drinks. The fact you can have a shower and on some flights even a bed to sleep in.

But most of all decent entertainment, power charge ports and god damn proper leg space for everyone.

Yeah unfair that they provide what should be standard on long haul flights.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Lufthansa, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Air France, British airways, and KLM have all made the same accusations and raised the same concerns about these three airlines.
This isn't new. This isn't an American only thing, it's been an old and on going argument where nobody involved is "the good guy". The older airlines see the gulf airlines as a threat to their bottom line. The gulf airlines are almost certainly benefiting from massive subsidies that no other nation can match, despite their repeated claims otherwise. They are also rife with labor issues where they pay their largely immigrant employees like shit and overwork the hell out if then.

Bottom line is this is just the latest battle in a very long war, it wasn't borne out of any kind of anti arab or anti Muslim zeal, it was born out of greed.

Dingens

you think Etihad and Emirates compete through fair means? ;)

If you're refering to subsidies, than, as many pointed out already, it's not a one-sided issue. And even if, I've yet to come across an explanation as to why we should care if they subsidize their airlines, if it means cheaper tickets for everybody. If tax payers in UAE are willing to subsidies my ticket, more power to them. I'd be more pissed about subsidies going directly into shareholder pockets like in the US case.

Fly out of airports made off the backs of slave labor.

and US airlines fly out of airports built on stolen land. I don't think you can blame the airline for that

I flew Turkish airlines in December and it was great. In flight entertainment units were great, all kinds of movies and shows, and even games. Power outlets, and they were more spacious than US plane arrangements for sure.

No more UAE flights to America and no more American flights to UAE, you have to jump out of the plane halfway and hopefully land on another.

Dude Abides

Banned
i don't see any part of my OP where i insinuated that this was a democrat-led idea.

corporatism is the problem here, i added the addendum to point out that this is not solely a right-wing issue because otherwise there would just a ton of "republicans lol" posts.

What's wrong with the US government protecting US businesses and jobs? You some kind of neoliberal shill? The airline industry is one of the last private sector industries with high union density, why do you want to kill it?

Mesousa

Banned
I sometimes feel like I am one of the few people who actually like flying US Airlines. It could just be the massive discount I get from my job, but I have nothing but good things to say about them. Notably Delta.

Salvadora

One REAL objection is that a few Arab airlines subsidize costs. Business Class and First Class in particular receive huge floats from the respctive govts. Works for me as a passenger tho. I will take subsidizd luxury over "fair" rudeness and tiny seats. I almost wish I could fly Emirates and the ilk more frequently.
I recently checked Etihad/Emirates for a 1st class seat and it was over £20,000 iirc.

That is being subsidised? If so, fucking hell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I recently checked Etihad/Emirates for a 1st class seat and it was over £20,000 iirc.

That is being subsidised? If so, fucking hell.

Yes, but in a somehwat backwards way - for one thing, that's the "rack" price - but I get a corporate discount that makes it half that sometimes, but more importantly, those cabins take up a massively disproportionate amount of space - and are often completely unbooked, or filled with upgraded passengers who paid biz clas fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom