• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extending U.S. laptop ban to Europe would cost flyers $1B a year, IATA says

faridmon

Preventing terrorists from using Laptops as bombs on planes isn't preventing peoples safety?

You are more likely to die by your own hands than a terrorist on a plane

In fact this does little for your safety and just affect the daily lives of your regular citizens

This is good news for Apple - who have been pushing iPad Pro as a laptop replacement

This is actually bad for everyone, as the ban is based on size. Not even a Kindle, Switch or iPad Mini are small enough to qualify to be allowed in the cabin based on the terms of the proposed ban.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is anyone seriously going to put something as expensive and fragile as a laptop into a checked luggage? They literally destroy that stuff with how carelessly they throw it, and how often they lose it. I think it will make more sense to just buy some cheapest laptop at your destination, and then sell it before you travel back.

Unless you hold airline stock, why would you care.

I rather have better security, not that I flight US airlines on international flights anyway.

Because a shit load of people use laptops on long flights? Flying for business, holiday, or just want entertainment most people bring a tablet or laptop on a plane.

OceanBlue

Schattenjäger;237134436 said:
Traveling on business?
Send your files ahead of time and use your phone to answer email
What if you work at a company that requires you to use company-provided hardware for work or email?

Dingens

Can't believe there are people falling for this shit and defending it.
Well at least it's only for flights to the US, so it's easily avoidable by going to other countries instead.

Also since we are talking about the US here, I'd be interested if this is just another move to give US companies some sort of competitive advantage. I'm sure there is something if one were to look

It's not when we now know the information that led to the ban came from an Israeli spy inside ISIS.

If the credible threat is that someone is going to detonate a bomb disguised as a laptop, this 'ban' makes no changes to that threat, only that now the explosion will happen in a different part of the plane. Half-assed measures that do nothing to actually increase security is the very definition of security theater.

Maybe it will increase the airport subcharge, I don't see how it will transfer the cost to me.
Ah yes, the airline industry, who is well known for taking the costs upon themselves will definitely not figure out some way to pass the cost to their customers.

What's in this for you to defend any part of this idiotic practice?

Zoe

If the credible threat is that someone is going to detonate a bomb disguised as a laptop, this 'ban' makes no changes to that threat, only that now the explosion will happen in a different part of the plane. Half-assed measures that do nothing to actually increase security is the very definition of security theater.

Well you would hope that by having to check in all laptops, that would mean they could pass through more stringent inspections beyond the security lines.

Nevasleep

This is lame. They should figure out a more suitable solution.

Although stick a raspberry zero and a small battery inside a laptop so it "boots", then use the rest of enclosure for a bomb.

The conference I'm at simply would lose half it's members if they couldn't bring their work with them.

At this point due to border security demanding passwords/files etc people are better off not bringing ANYTHING and then having a cheap phone/laptop to use while in the states and then ditch them at the end of the trip.

What a fucking waste.

Kthulhu

Well you would hope that by having to check in all laptops, that would mean they could pass through more stringent inspections beyond the security lines.

The TSA has never stopped a terrorist. This ain't gonna change that.

This would ruin travel for scientific/tech conferences. I need to have a machine that can run code with me.

A phone doesn't cut it. Work doesn't just mean checking email.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Similar to the underwear bomber, this long term will likely mean new screening protocols for laptops and electronics at security checkpoints.

Until then, this is probably the result, and based on how sensitive the intel Trump supposedly gave the Russians about this threat is, it's likely a very real threat.

ISIS et al have been trying to get bombs onto planes ever since 9/11.

HSA TSA et al have been doing their best to detect said plots and stop them.

The downside, as the article notes, is a lot of li-ion batteries in the cargo hold isn't exactly the best solution either.

llehuty

I could see this kickstarting a renting laptop service at airports, the same way people rent cars
I know it's stupid.

Don't they use the exact same machinery to inspect/x-ray checked luggage as carry on as well as enact identical protocols to filter out hazardous materials? And in what way is the proposed ban going to strengthen the checked-bag inspections at the airports of ten initial cities let alone further dozens should the ban get expanded to Europe?

Security.
Theater.

Unless you hold airline stock, why would you care.

I rather have better security, not that I flight US airlines on international flights anyway.

Welp, this is why stuff like this gets passed

Utter the words."security" and "terrorism" and dumbasses will fall over themselves in their eagerness to make everyone's life shittier

ViciousDS

Banned
So wait

Laptops are not allowed in carry ons anymore?

What about tablets and everything else?

My surface pro is a tablet laptop technically

If they have proof of credible threat it's worth it.

Would you go back in time to 1996 and pay 2 billion to prevent 9/11? Without hesitation.

Welp:

Steve Landells, a safety expert at the British Airline Pilots Association, said there was a greater risk of lithium battery fires if larger devices were kept in an aircraft's hold.
"Given the risk of fire from these devices when they are damaged or they short circuit, an incident in the cabin would be spotted earlier and this would enable the crew to react quickly before any fire becomes uncontainable," he said.
"If these devices are kept in the hold, the risk is that if a fire occurs the results can be catastrophic; indeed, there have been two crashes where lithium batteries have been cited in the accident reports."

la_briola

So wait

Laptops are not allowed in carry ons anymore?

What about tablets and everything else?

My surface pro is a tablet laptop technically

It's not about whether the device is a tablet or laptop. It's the size that matters. So yes, a Surface Pro is not allowed under these rules as a carry on.

RDreamer

This sucks. I'm going on my first ever international vacation in less than a month. I should bring my laptop because I'll have to be able to do a few things for work especially on the flight but now I probably won't even bring it along. That plus all this talk of laptop bombs on flights has me kinda scared.

R&R

This is actually great news for terrorists - you don't even need to bring a bomb anymore. It is enough to just rig a laptop/tablet/whatever so that is overheats in the cargo hold....perfect. It might not "work" 100% of the time - but it will work eventually.

And to top of, it is completely safe to bring this rigged item through customs checks, as I seriously doubt this level of mechanical trickery can be noticed by your normal customs agent...

Fucking idiotic if this ban happens...

Micael

Ok, so lets say that moving all the bombs along with the batteries to the same place is something that actually helps (which lol), what exactly is stopping a terrorist from traveling first to say Canada and then do a flight from Canada to the US?

Ok, so lets say that moving all the bombs along with the batteries to the same place is something that actually helps (which lol), what exactly is stopping a terrorist from traveling first to say Canada and then do a flight from Canada to the US?
Nothing which is why bans for flights from select countries is stupid. If it's a real threat than it should be banned on all flights.

Top Bottom