• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US to ban laptops in all cabins of flights from Europe

If they're worried about a laptop bomb bringing down a plane, what difference does it make whether it's in the cabin or in the luggage vestibule? I don't get it.

Its not about bringing down a plane, it's about doing damage to all those around you rather than rupturing the cabin itself. The threat is from the batteries, not the laptops hiding C4. You need to be in control of the device to turn the batteries into an incendiary device.
This is their thinking anyways.

Costa Kid

All this does is re-solidify the fact I won't be visiting the US soon, if ever. I don't want to be treated like a terrorist when going on a simple vacation.

Bad for US. Bad for everyone else too.

Looks at the pictures of my last trashed during flight suitcase...

Guess I'm not travelling until they reverse this mess. Like fuck I'm putting the important stuff at risk.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pulsing you argue a surface pro or similar hybrid is a tablet with a keyboard?

Couldn't they limit this to laptops over a certain volume? I can't imagine ultrabooks are susceptible to whatever laptop bomb stuff they're worried about - more likely chunky old laptops?

Guevara

It's going to be pretty wild when we can't travel with large electronic devices AT ALL. Which I think will happen relatively soon.

RBH

Bg1ic7v.png

lol

lmao

bosseye

Just Europe? In which case all the laptop bomb carrying terrorists embark on their journey to the US somewhere other than Europe and this bizarre ban achieves nothing?

linkboy

So what's the excuse going to be when a normal lithium ion battery explodes in the cargo hold of a plane?

No laptops period? Sure, business travelers will really love that.

Morons.

So am I supposed to put my laptop in my luggage?

Knowing that my PS4 broke the last time I did this I sure as shit won't be trying it with my Macbook.

The US is becoming such messed up place. Hope you enjoy the loss of tourist money.

shira

Pretty soon you are going to have to take a plane naked after a thorough orifice exam with no luggage.

Business travelers alone will nuke this

Also guess it's a good thing I'm not bringing my laptop to Italy then

Emirates, Qatar, Turkish Air and Etihad started offering business class passengers their own laptops & Tablet to use to circumvent the last ban.
The rich will feel none of the effects of these kinds of controls.

Bustanen

You'd be crazy to put anything valuable in a checked baggage. Airport officials will steal anything they can grab in the US.

Slacker

So let's get this straight:

* Laptops banned on inbound flights from Europe and a few other countries.
* Not banned from lots of other countries.
* Not banned on outbound flights.
* Not banned in cargo hold.
* Lots of other electronics allowed.

Yep sounds like TSA policy.

I wonder if this will cause at least some people from Europe to just visit somewhere else instead of the US.

Frankly even without this they should just skip the US. This country is a shithole.

So am I supposed to put my laptop in my luggage?

Knowing that my PS4 broke the last time I did this I sure as shit won't be trying it with my Macbook.

The US is becoming such messed up place. Hope you enjoy the loss of tourist money.

based on 0 statistical evidence(too lazy to look it up) but I imagine most tourists visit the coastal cities which are generally democratic/liberal. This does not impact your average #MAGA idiot because they still have their guns (and are in flyover states)

I guess Trump wants to kill the US tourism industry. I wonder how much this affects the GDP.

Also, will I be safe if I travel to the UK by going US > Canada > Europe and vice versa?

Mimosa97

I wonder if this will cause at least some people from Europe to just visit somewhere else instead of the US.

Frankly even without this they should just skip the US. This country is a shithole.

The US are an amazing country but it's pretty obvious your government and half of the american voters don't want us to visit.

Sadly europeans are idiots and will keep spending their hard earned money in america even if they are treated like shit at the border. I guess that's what we call american privilege. Just wish the european union had the balls to apply the same rules to america tourists but that would never happen.

zulux21

hopefully if this is true it is removed by august... otherwise my long flight back home from Scotland is going to be might boring.

Firemind

I was thinking of going to the USA later this year but someone reminded me that there's problems there due to the terrorist incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I just wanted to visit Disney World because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't ever get to see it?

sflufan

Banned
I was thinking of going to the USA later this year but someone reminded me that there's problems there due to the terrorist incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I just wanted to visit Disney World because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't ever get to see it?

This is a parody of that "radiation in Japan" thread, right?

based on 0 statistical evidence(too lazy to look it up) but I imagine most tourists visit the coastal cities which are generally democratic/liberal. This does not impact your average #MAGA idiot because they still have their guns (and are in flyover states)

It's still impacting them somewhat because it means lower taxes revenue as well.

Not much but the silver linings...

Jisgsaw

Well I'm​ never trusting airline services with my expensive electronics in the hold so I guess America is off the travel list for a long time now

Hopefully no other countries adopt this policy..

This is legitimately scary to me. I have to carry the laptop with me for work. It's an expensive piece of equipment that I by no means would ever in my worst nightmares consider putting into a checked luggage, seeing how that luggage is handled and how mangled it gets so often, or lost/stolen. I guess it's safer for me to just buy another cheap laptop when I'm at the destination, and work remotely.

The funny trhing is: at least in Europe, you already can't put anything with a Lithium battery in the hold. So this would mean you can't transport anything with a battery when you fly.
No way in hell this goes down.

Top Bottom