• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US to ban laptops in all cabins of flights from Europe

Dehnus

Just saw this come through. From the Daily Beast (I know...):

More here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

I can't believe this is what it's come to.

Time to return the favour then. Let's make them Yanks store their Cell Phones and make sure we charge them extra if they seem like Trump Voters. As after all, Trump declared the EU it's enemy, so they can be "enemy combatants". After all it's a huge problem, and we have to have extreme vetting ;). If you have a mullet or seem otherwise "inclined to hickdom" .. why we just might have to be extra sure. Who knows you might want to shoot people with your right to bare arms, bear arms, or whatever that constitution says. ;).

Also since their healthcare is going down the drain, mandatory healthcare checkups, including rectal exams. I mean who knows they might carry some nasty stuff with them, and seeing how they also overuse antibiotics, it might be some kind of superstrain! Can't be too sure, EXTREME VETTING!

So extreme that we'll send them to a vet for it ;). How's that for extreme vetting. Registered Democrats get a "Get into Europe free card". ;).

(Joking here, I'd never be that kind host ;). :D).

darscot

Any chance they will be smart and allow laptops with internal batteries like ipads or allow you to bring a laptop with no battery on flights with plugs? I am sure that is too much effort for them.

Dehnus

What do they classify as a Laptop?

Now that I think of it! Macron must love this :). That will certainly keep the geeky Scientists in France ;). "Can't use my notebook on the way back, screw that! Time to get back to learning French, Omlet du fromage, Omlet Du frooomaaage.. omlet.. du... fromaage".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That fucking sucks. I am literally waiting to get off a plane and I had been doing work on my laptop most of the flight.

gruenel

I'm glad we cancelled our plan to do a road trip in the US next year and decided to visit New Zealand instead. Traveling to the US has been such a shitshow in the past and it looks like it's only going to get worse. I'll pass and so will many others.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ugh,

International travel is only gonna get worse and worse.

Flying fucking sucks. Not having my iPad or switch would be the worst.

I'm glad we cancelled our plan to do a road trip in the US next year and decided to visit New Zealand instead. Traveling to the US has been such a shitshow in the past and it looks like it's only going to get worse. I'll pass and so will many others.

You made the right decision. As an American I can tell you other places in the world are far, far more interesting.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
They need to find a better way to screen. I'm not doing business travel if I can't fly with a laptop / tablet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If I'm not mistaken, you can't take spare lithium batteries with you on European flights, only batteries attached to a device. (I can be wrong and it can be only a rule for check in lugage, but I thought I saw it for carry-on too when I flew yesterday)

Edit: should have scrolled trough the topic more before posting. Just saw someone linking to regulations. Still have the feeling that certain airlines prohibit spare batteries though, as I can't shake the idea I saw this warning while checking in.

China limits spare batteries to two small external chargers and no spare batteries that cant be tested.

Guaranteed way to break a laptop is to put it in the hold on and international flight. I had a manager that told me this and he did it every time he wanted a laptop upgrade from the company. It's the temperature drop, vibration and condensation build up inside the device that fucks it when you switch it on again. I lost an OG Xbox this way incidentally.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If I'm not mistaken, you can't take spare lithium batteries with you on European flights, only batteries attached to a device. (I can be wrong and it can be only a rule for check in lugage, but I thought I saw it for carry-on too when I flew yesterday)

Edit: should have scrolled trough the topic more before posting. Just saw someone linking to regulations. Still have the feeling that certain airlines prohibit spare batteries though, as I can't shake the idea I saw this warning while checking in.

hmm I took a large external battery from Copenhagen to Oslo just last week

Rafy

Considering how many stories I've heard of electronics missing from checked luggage, and the fact I need a new suitcase every time I travel due to how badly they damage them every time, there's no fucking way I'd ever check a suitcase with my laptop or PS4 in it.

Nothing like more stupid air travel rules that will save no one and do nothing, at least that will keep it in line with most of the other security procedures in American airports.

FStubbs

To them the tourism industry is already dead because who the heck goes to visit those places for fun and leisure?

"Ooh I took my only two weeks of vacation this year to visit Appalachia" said no one ever.

5de435af60cd25873f5e4076b9f35375.jpg

shounenka

I was thinking of going to the USA later this year but someone reminded me that there's problems there due to the terrorist incident from a few years ago.

They said it was still dangerous to visit.

Now I've decided I'm 100% not going. It's just not worth the risk. I can go somewhere else. But I wanted to get people's opinions on this.

I just wanted to visit Disney World because I heard it was the best Disney park in the world but now I won't ever get to see it?

Awwwww. Lulz

This is hilarious. This ain't going to do shit and if something does happen it isn't going to be because of some regulation they should of put into place.

Just them trying to further expand the power of security institutions.

If i can't store my laptop in the cabin i don't think i want to travel for work. There is jo way i am putting my laptop in with my checked luggage. If they take away mobile pass i think i will stop traveling internationally period.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I realize that this is a DHS and TSA thing, and not a thing about the airlines, but is flying in the rest of the world less... nightmarish? Like if you take a trip from Japan to OZ, or Germany to Brazil or whatever, is it the exercise in irritation that is in the when the US is involved?

I was just in Iceland this past weekend, and going through the airport to return to the US was a breeze. It was like how air travel was here 20 years ago. Just put your bags through the X-ray machine, walk through a regular ass metal detector, get your passport stamped, and done. Like normal civilized human beings.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The fuck? I'm not putting that shit in my checked in baggage. Not that I had any immediate plans on going to the US, but this definitely makes me not want to (among other things).

What about a Switch? Does that count as a tablet?

EDIT: Is this laptops only, or tablets as well? Confusing.

sirap

Well that sucks. I travel frequently and the amount of people working on their laptops during flights is pretty significant. Can't imagine this going well with the folks in business.

I realize that this is a DHS and TSA thing, and not a thing about the airlines, but is flying in the rest of the world less... nightmarish? Like if you take a trip from Japan to OZ, or Germany to Brazil or whatever, is it the exercise in irritation that is in the when the US is involved?

No problems at all on my flights between Europe and South East Asia. No racial profiling either.

Top Bottom