• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2014 - Making promising projects a reality

What's a good way to find all the failed/canceled Kickstarters?
Well you can check the "Finished" section of the OP. I list if a campaign is a success, failed, or canceled. I don't have all the campaigns there, just the ones that posted about in the thread or featured in the OP

So far, 58 failed, 21 canceled

bokkengro

Neo Member
Cube and Me - ends Oct 4 (PC)
image-2.png

image-3.png

"Cube and me is a roguelite pet simulator RPG....you will be tasked with raising your new friends, maintaining your job, and discovering the mystery behind the cubes. You will visit randomly generated dungeons spread across the world. The dungeons will be filled with treasures and surprises, though you’ll need to risk the lives of your cube friends to explore them. It is up to you to plan and strategize how to lead your pets to success."
Official Website

Hey sorry to bump this, but this one is important to me.

I mentionned Super World Karts a couple of posts ago, it is now 72% backed with 4 days left.

Today's update announced that Lord O'Saurus, a character that a friend and I created for our first game, will officially join SWK's roster of indie characters. Nobody knows our game, nobody cares about our character but Paul was kind enough to let us in.

OXC2XN5.png

Raptor aside, this project should get all the love it deserves.

Final Hours
Added to Ongoing
Skjaar
Skjaar is a hybrid steampunk/horror/fantasy adventure game with elements of action and stealth
1ba775b3a617417d042890540169e97d_large.gif

Poncho
A platformer like nothing seen before, explore this open-world puzzler in multiple dimensions on a journey to find your Maker.
5aba29ac0d20488943a12e23f09ab7b4_large.gif

Creepy Castle
A one-of-a-kind RPG brimming with bugs, battles and bravery!
a9f546bd9acec4cadd460f1a268e3b80_large.gif

Kraden's Crypt
In this Coop Dungeon crawler, you generate momentum for your attacks using dragging actions. Speed, weight and timing is what matters.
2e87819a12e2e541992491ec6f55d53f_large.png

Extrasolar: Season 2
In Extrasolar you send directions from any Web-enabled device to a rover on another planet. But instead of stock, pre-generated imagery, your rover sends back photos of an incredibly realistic 3D landscape, complete with oceans, weather, and an ever-changing time of day. Each is completely unique.
a266809649de7dff604d802571342bf2_large.jpg

Death To Spies 3
Third person stealth action game about a soviet agent and his team in the times of WW2 and Cold War
93291c0fba671e25e601aacc09edf37d_large.jpg

AtmanRising

Neo Member
OP, could you please add Grimoire to the list?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1909687745/grimoire

The game has hit Kickstarter on Friday. It's a multiplayer-focused FPS with wizards instead of soldiers/space marines coupled with a big strategic component thanks to MOBA-inspired spell mechanics. They're asking for $42,000.

MsPmGYY.jpg

The game is in Alpha right now, with an actual playable build. There's also a second playable build, which is single-player only -- the devs call it "Combat Preview."

Combat Preview download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uwhm34dz2pea756/Grimoire_Combat_Preview_Installer.exe

Full disclosure -- I'm helping these guys with their Kickstarter campaign. I believe in Grimoire and I think it could bring something new to first-person shooters. Also, I always dreamed of a multiplayer Heretic :)

Today's update announced that Lord O'Saurus, a character that a friend and I created for our first game, will officially join SWK's roster of indie characters. Nobody knows our game, nobody cares about our character but Paul was kind enough to let us in.

That's super cool. Good for you!

Purkake4

Banned
There was a pretty sweet looking kickstarter for like a Sanitarium-esque game set in space. I'm pretty sure it made it, but I can't for the life of me find it anymore. Any ideas?

Tregard

Soothsayer
OP, could you please add Grimoire to the list?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1909687745/grimoire

The game has hit Kickstarter on Friday. It's a multiplayer-focused FPS with wizards instead of soldiers/space marines coupled with a big strategic component thanks to MOBA-inspired spell mechanics. They're asking for $42,000.

MsPmGYY.jpg

The game is in Alpha right now, with an actual playable build. There's also a second playable build, which is single-player only -- the devs call it "Combat Preview."

Combat Preview download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uwhm34dz2pea756/Grimoire_Combat_Preview_Installer.exe

Full disclosure -- I'm helping these guys with their Kickstarter campaign. I believe in Grimoire and I think it could bring something new to first-person shooters. Also, I always dreamed of a multiplayer Heretic :)

I'm amazed this hasn't been done before (that I know of)

Final Hours
Coming Soon
That Which Sleeps - September 22nd
That Which Sleeps is a turn-based PC game which allows the player the chance to assume the role of an awakening evil power which must manipulate the world from the shadows in order to weaken it for his return. Utilize a variety of nefarious agents, battle it out against meddlesome heroes, and corrupt the leaders of the world all while deceiving the world into thinking that everything is status quo.
Agent.png

Graywalkers - September 24th
Graywalkers: Purgatory is the first in a series of Emergent, Strategic, and Tactical Turn-based 3D Role-Playing Games set in a stylish supernatural post-apocalyptic world, where parts of Heaven, Hell and Earth have merged together in an event called "The Rupture".
637x358.resizedimage
Added to Ongoing
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn
This game is a hunting simulator where you hunt the largest and most dangerous creatures to ever exist -- DINOSAURS!
0fca8555fccd0ad4652ff8ca71f42ca3_large.png

Star Traders 2
Captain a ship, hand-pick a crew, and roam freely through a complex universe with freedom of choice in your goals, morality, and career
Bw9JhdvIcAERRBt.png:large

Phantasmal
An old school, endless horror game with new school technology where every playthrough will be a guaranteed unique experience.
b20851803e1cc1f763319340660cda31_large.gif

Flagship
Flagship is a single player real-time strategy game set on a galactic scale, played from a first person perspective.
1c4b69f0f5492530290368f2b1d9f5be_large.gif

Emily
Explore a post-apocalyptic world, play as a genetically-enhanced girl attempting to find her father as she slowly loses her humanity.
7d1474096ad54ad69892a1ce7a142cc4_large.png

Spacewrights
A tactical sci-fi 2D spaceship simulation game where you explore, build, and create a galactic empire
cb0bd4544d10584b2911b01c58c1506e_large.png

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King
Blossom Tales is a refreshing combination of classic Action-RPG gameplay and modern design. The peaceful Kingdom of Blossom has fallen into chaos! Help save the day!
48a23846641fb6d706a9f7cec78e636e_large.gif

Buffalo Game Space
Buffalo Game space is a place for artists, musicians, and programmers to collaborate on awesome game projects!
74bc2aa6a0159ff485d48e4296ef80ec_large.jpg

Actually, Star Traders 2 only has 13 days left and a fair chunk of thousands still to go as opposed to a Coming Soon.

I really hope the Graywalkers folks can pull it out this time---the gist of the feel of the general premise and pitch from their first crack at KS held promise, but it the high'ish target at that time just wasn't to be with all else that had been afoot roughly earlier and at the same time.

Added to Ongoing
Dinosword
Dinosword is an epic retro platformer about exploration, sacrifice, and a little green dinosaur named Chompy.
2f7e94bd4089d93f75d0f09ea20f9248_large.gif

Reflex
Reflex is a competitive Arena FPS that combines modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of a 90s shooter.
637x358.resizedimage

That Which Sleeps
That Which Sleeps is a re-imagining of the God Game. Take the role of an awakened evil and manipulate a living, reactive world.
a1ad69481b5ba035d1a13c4404a3bb49_large.png

RiggyRob

Ooh, just remembered - there's a preview build of Hyper Light Drifter released this weekend, if you backed it you should have got an email about it a couple of days ago.

Cube and Me - ends Oct 4 (PC)
Oh my god, pet sim/dungeon crawler hybrid is such a refreshingly unique mix that I can't help but get excited. They already have all the major mechanics ready to show and they look great, they have beautiful art and beautiful music. I love what I'm seeing.

This is my first backed project since Project Eternity. Not that there weren't any worthy ones in--between, but I wanted to wait until I got some games out of KS before diving back in. Really hope these guys can pull through and get funded.

At the current rate it doesn't seem like Flagship is going to meet it's goal. I don't get why hardly any sites have even mentioned it has a kickstarter now, it's a unique idea and the game looks great. I've seen 1 gaming site post something about it recently and that was it. The kickstarter campaign has been up for over a week now and it's only got 33% of the goal, if it had more coverage i expect it would be fully funded but it's not looking very likely at the moment. I even made a thread for the game here but it seems no one is really interested.

At the current rate it doesn't seem like Flagship is going to meet it's goal. I don't get why hardly any sites have even mentioned it has a kickstarter now, it's a unique idea and the game looks great. I've seen 1 gaming site post something about it recently and that was it. The kickstarter campaign has been up for over a week now and it's only got 33% of the goal, if it had more coverage i expect it would be fully funded but it's not looking very likely at the moment. I even made a thread for the game here but it seems no one is really interested.

I haven't noticed it until now. Sad to see since this is one of my dream games.

Edit: It has the common signs of a failed campaign though: the entry level tier is $32.49 (by current exchange rates); their highest tier is £1000 (limited to 2 backers); it seems like they run out of things to put in the tiers, so they put early access in their £40, £50, and £75 tiers, etc.

So Adventures of Pip was funded 2 days ago with 7 days left

I find the project to be somewhat interesting and they've just released their stretch goals

It's currently sitting at $41,556 and I'm thinking of making a thread for it's last week or so to see if we can't help it hit the first stretch goal

Thoughts?

So Adventures of Pip was funded 2 days ago with 7 days left

I find the game to be somewhat interesting and they've just released their stretch goals

It's currently sitting at $41,556 and I'm thinking of making a thread for it's last week or so to see if we can't help it hit the first stretch goal

Thoughts?
Yeah, sure, make a thread. It's helped other games

RiggyRob

Ooh, just remembered - there's a preview build of Hyper Light Drifter released this weekend, if you backed it you should have got an email about it a couple of days ago.

Turns out the preview build was delayed, should be available next weekend (3rd October).

@MUWANdo

Banned
Awesome-looking game that made its debut at EGX this weekend:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenarmada/mutiny-16-player-dual-screen-pirate-mayhem-pc-mobi

It's a little Power Stone, a little Four Swords, a little Bomberman, and it supports up to 16 players for local multiplayer by letting you use your phone as a controller. I have no idea how well that'd work or how the split between single- and dual-screen players is gonna work but it definitely looks fun.

Target platforms are PC/Mac/Linux plus the companion app for phones, but it's a Unity game so they could port it elsewhere without too many issues, and they mentioned ideas for Wii U on their twitter.

It went up on Greenlight this weekend, too: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314638804

Final hours
Added to Ongoing
desolate
desolate is a hand-painted 2D puzzle adventure game influenced by my experiences, emotions, and my acceptance of self growing up. The game told in seven acts, Desolation, The Desolate, Deception, Corruption, Consumption, Depression, and Realisation.
65cd3d34d2c84bb32c60aca208e05b51_large.gif

Substream
Abstract airborne combat in a world that mirrors you and your enemies through space and morphs with the soundtrack.
Substream.gif

Bedlam
A post-apocalyptic roguelike RPG featuring our unique blitz battle system - Inspired by great games like The Banner Saga, FTL and XCOM.
428a92d1b93415a87a60a42607070ab7_large.gif

Battle Chef Brigade
Play as a magical chef! Hunt monsters and cook them into exquisite dishes to wow the judges and crush your opponents!
7bd49e208f170f201800643ed172d8c4_large.gif

Graywalkers: Purgatory
An emergent Strategic and Tactical Turn-based supernatural post-apocalyptic RPG inspired by Fallout, X-Com and Jagged Alliance.
5ae4fbe4dfce87af877956f6f988e1e6_large.jpg

Mutiny!
Battle enemies + betray friends in a frantic brawl of treasure + treachery!
63fd904b89c97919795eb5dfe1f1b917_large.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1222510567/neotopia

photo-main.jpg

neotopia is a virtual world for PlayStation 4; an ever-evolving online space where you can meet, interact, play and share - a next-generation blend between the world of gaming and social media

Free from the off, neotopia will allow you to be part of a rich and expansive social environment, brought to life with Unreal Engine 4 and the power of the PlayStation 4. You’ll create and customise an avatar - your conduit to neotopia. There will be public spaces to explore, people to meet, events to attend and activities to get involved in. You’ll also be able to purchase a range of private neotopia apartments, redecorate them, share them with your friends and rate those of others.

neotopia’s vision is to bring together like-minded people who can interact, build, share and play. A world where you can make new friends and keep in touch with old ones in any setting you choose. A world with everything from idyllic beaches to mountain peaks, from Medieval castles to shining metropolis’ of the future. All of which is your playground. All of which is YOURS.

DiscoJer

H.P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

Senscape, the team behind the acclaimed horror adventure games Scratches, Serena, and Asylum, has returned from nether gulfs of nightmare to bring you the first official game based on the legendary works of H. P. Lovecraft. This point-and-click adventure is a faithful and painstakingly researched adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward — a perennial favourite among hordes of fans and the only novel Lovecraft wrote in his lifetime — which happens to be the first of its kind in the video game industry. Join us as we tell you all about this groundbreaking project, the documentary The Shadow Over Providence hosted by S. T. Joshi, the inconceivably amazing rewards, and what may become a full series of officially sanctioned H. P. Lovecraft games. Iä! Iä!

I don't really understand how it can be officially sanctioned since he's long dead and didn't have children. There were a couple of "Call of Cthulhu" games, too. They had a license from Arkham House for the non-HPL stuff...

Top Bottom