• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2014 - Making promising projects a reality

So the Proven Lands Kickstarter was cancelled. The developers are considering new options, most likely involving Humble and Steam

---
Added Serpent in the Staglands to Ongoing
The vision for Serpent in the Staglands is a mix of the addictive build customization of ARPGs and party control and role-playing elements of games like Baldur's Gate and Darklands. A throwback to cRPGs of the past with fresh new role playing designs and combat mechanics.

0dd15279595e8108bfcbec453d6ea195_large.gif
8bde73820ac53aa3d5cef26d1bfcf302_large.gif

My god, the kinds of misconceptions and ridiculous perceptions of Kickstarter I've seen in the last 24 hours on GAF has been astounding

Just check out this recent gem:
I'm with you. Kickstarter seems like a great way to give folks a healthy start by donating to their projects. However, there is every reason in the world for a successful Kickstarter project to be a jumping off point to a major buyout. The entire structure of Kickstarter project games is that donors give some money, and then investors put up an even larger amount based on that expressed interest.

Do people actually believe that Kickstarter funds are paying for development?! God, no. You're deluding yourselves if you thought that was true. Kickstarter campaigns aren't trying to fund their game projects through consumers. Developers use those Kickstarter funds and stats to convince real investors to fork up the real cash that does pay for development.
---
Despite its seeming ideals, Kickstarter is really just a fancy form of consumer interest poll. Worse, it's a consumer poll that costs people money. Imagine how ridiculous it would seem if Coca-Cola put up a poll asking if people wanted to buy a new type of soda, and on top of that, they asked people to pay money to express their opinion. All consumers ("backers") get for it is a can of soda at the end of it all. But Coca-Cola gets marketing that consumers themselves pay for, interest polls that consumers voluntarily and eagerly vote in, as well as hard data that the company can show their investors demonstrating an existing and ready market. Just because it's some "start-up" doesn't make the whole process any more tasteful.

It's gross and always has been. I'm fine with other people putting up their own money, but for me it always seemed really gross and dishonest.

So I bring up small indie dev campaigns like Catacomb Kids, Rain World, etc.
I have no idea. I've never heard of either game. But just from looking at the numbers for the majority of successful campaigns, simple math tells you that Kickstarter funds don't come close to what it actually costs to pay for development. And because Kickstarter funds aren't actual investments, developers are under no legal obligation to be transparent about where your money goes or how it gets spent. Again, I find that gross and dishonest. All backers have is the "word" of those running the campaign.

Oculus may be the most egregious example of people using Kickstarter funds to attract investors, but they are far from the only ones. That's the dominant model and has been for as long as Kickstarter games have existed.

Wow

Dead Years KS delayed till April 2nd

---
Added Cosmochoria to Ongoing
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nateschmold/cosmochoria
You play the role of a tiny pink naked cosmonaut who 'finds himself' in a distant galaxy. While no story is immediately apparent, consecutive games will begin to reveal some of the deeper mysteries surrounding the universe around you.
You are free to roam the galaxy in search of these secrets, or to remain on a single planet, establishing a home base to fight aliens and tend to your galactic garden.
b859bb060f4943b80fa60606fa256b2a_large.gif
ab89dbbce344dae22f3b3906362d758a_large.gif
Thread

---
48 hour warning:

Lo_Fi

Hey all! Just wanted to let you know that the Kickstarter for Four Sided Fantasy is launching Wednesday, April 2.

In late April/May:

Before
http://www.beforegame.net/
The game controls much like a real-time strategy or “god” game, though I think of the player as more collective conciousness than deity. You command members of your fledgling tribe to perform various actions and pursue goals; moving around the landscape, hunting animals and gathering resources.

The core of the experience is survival; guiding your tribe through their life in an often dangerous world. Ensuring that they find food, keep an eye out for dangerous predators and find a safe place to sleep each night.
Screenshot01-1024x576.jpg

Choice Chamber is basically Twitch Plays Pokemon: The Game.

Want to help the player across a long jump? Everyone write in 'BRIDGE' and the player can walk across the word bubbles that pop up.

Want to fuck with the player? Shout 'TENTACLE MONSTER BOSS' and get everyone else to play along.

It's basically an RNG platformer where other people are the RNG.

Prisonscape is launching its Kickstarter next week. The devs have been posting on GAF regularly in the game's thread and a lot of people here are highly anticipating the game for good reason. This is a raw gritty prison RPG that won't shun away from themes like racism, gangs, sexual violence, drug use, torture, etc.

Prisonscape is an adventure/RPG game that is taking place in prison. The player needs to survive in this harsh and violent environment. Inside you have to deal with such things as constant assaults, creating and using weapons, interacting with other prisoners and learning the trade inside the jail. The player can develop his character to be, for example, a strong, tough fighter or an intelligent, charismatic manipulator.

grid-battle.gif
knjwg5W.gif

gabbo

Death In Candlewood
A Edgar Allen Poe-inspired FPS that looks to add its own spin on open world horror/shooter.
Dev's involved have worked on Silent Hill Origins, the Witcher, FEAR Extraction Point (don't know if two of those help or hinder people's interest).
Asking for $60k

Alastor3

is it me or there is a lot of kickstarters launching at the same time ? wouldn't it saturated where gamers wont have enough money to pre-order them all ? (I know I am)

Lo_Fi

It does seem like a lot of them launched today. I've seen studies, though, that show that Kickstarters launching on the same day are more likely to help each other than hurt each other.

Legend of Persia

Scheduled for release in June of 2014, the game is a highly ambitious Action RPG Adventure in style of diablo™ incorporating bloody battles, item usage, character building, and storyline incorporation. The storyline revolves around Keykhosro, the son of the Persian prince Siavosh, who in the name of his father’s blood seeks to take revenge upon Afrasiab, the king of Tooran. Throughout the game, the character will face difficult challenges to overcome, such as defeating massive waves of enemies, encountering difficult bosses, and finally dealing with Afriasiab, his father’s killer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/471947712/legends-of-persia?ref=category

____

Maybe you remember Zaharia, the orientalist RPG which spectacularly failed to gather more than 15% of its funding goal. While poking around on the editor's forums, I found an article about the project failure and while several points come as nothing short of incendiary, I think they may be right about the project's flawed communication. Anyway :

http://www.lamascherariposta.it/gdr/approfondimenti/zaharia.html (Italian)

pekkak

Neo Member
is it me or there is a lot of kickstarters launching at the same time ? wouldn't it saturated where gamers wont have enough money to pre-order them all ? (I know I am)

Probably because April is the best month to run a Kickstarter. People pledge much more money both in April and September.

So we kinda screwed up timing wise for Treachery in Beatdown City, and also failed to get the game in front of a lot of people.

GDC showed me that so many people knew of it but didn't even know the kickstarter was going on, and so many people were hyped.

I'm going to be up at PAX East next weekend, game in hand, and the kickstarter is relaunching April 7th!

So we have a Goat Simulator, a Bear Simulator and now a Cat Simulator.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/849914695/cat-simulator

This seems to be a scam project though piggybacking on the success of Bear Simulator (or at best the developer wants to make a game but will fail).
Bare bones page? Check
Obviously fake graphics/CGI cat in video? Check
That hilariously bad Greenlight video? Check
Zero sites or info about the developer? Check

Screams scam to me

Amir0x

Banned
Planets³ may seriously be the coolest thing I've seen in a game in the last three years.

Edit: although holy damn @ that 2017 release date for the full game :eek:

Last Day warning:
- Midwest Game Developers Summit

Coming next week:
- Gaffer-made Treachery in Beatdown City - launching a second campaign
- Let's Go Camping - action roguelike with an awesome low-poly style and an entire overworld to explore and survive while traveling to dungeons
- Prisonscape - a gritty violent prison RPG inspired by Chrono Trigger and Oz

Added to Ongoing:
Dead Years

Legends of Persia

Death in Candlewood

Commodore 64: A Visual Commpendium

Popup Dungeon from the developers of Ring Runner. The art style is wonderful, images don't do it justice. Check out the trailer

Visually, Popup Dungeon is an enchanted board game, sort of like a cross between Jumanji and a Dungeons and Dragons board game. The dungeon unfolds, sometimes literally, in front of your character as you explore. It is presented in a papercraft style, but our goal is to make it as lively as possible, with rich animations and particle effects.
f737667a0dfc1465acffd11f1ec10f58_large.jpg

boingball

Flying Hamster II is live. Unfortunately Windows only, PS4 is a 350k stretch goal, Vita a hidden stretch goal (this is a game I would prefer to play on the Vita). We will see where this is heading, quite ambitious funding goals.

ffe066821a633ef9384f35e6e15a7bcb_large.png

An Unreal Engine 4 game that just launched on Kickstarter a few hours ago. Looks interesting.

Dead Crusade
Added

Hi GAF, how can I (or a mod) add a game to the OP?

Disclaimer: I'm helping them on the PR front.

This is The Great Escape done as a point-and-click adventure game from the mid 1990s (yes, like the classic LucasArts titles).

The Breakout (ends May 12)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084621640/the-breakout
Welcome to GAF!

Added to Ongoing. I'd seen the trailer on Reddit a few days ago, the art style is awesome. Really like the premise too, great setting for a game. Didn't realize there was going to be a Kickstarter

AtmanRising

Neo Member
Thanks! Love this board.

I discovered GAF when I was a MP tester on Call of Duty 3. This and Reddit are my go-to places for gaming news & discussion.

Hi GAF, how can I (or a mod) add a game to the OP?

Disclaimer: I'm helping them on the PR front.

This is The Great Escape done as a point-and-click adventure game from the mid 1990s (yes, like the classic LucasArts titles).

The Breakout (ends May 12)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084621640/the-breakout
Made a thread for the campaign:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796715

I can't back on Kickstarter; do you know if there will be alternate preorder methods (Paypal, Humble, etc.)?

Top Bottom