• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2015 - Making promising projects a reality...again

I noticed that out of those six new projects three have playable demos and one said they will have a demo later in the campaign.

I hope we this can become the norm. Physical hardware projects should have a prototype and game projects should have a demo by the time they ask the public for funding.

jimboton

It's a shame Dark Flame is not likely to make it. Tried the demo and left wanting a full game of that. It's a mix of Castlevania SOTN and Dark Souls mechanics, just very well made (pretty hard, too).

Xtra Mile

Neo Member
KS-launch.png

Kickstarter re-launched with playable demo. Thanks to GAF who helped critique our game last time

Bate

I don't like the art design. The characters seem so uninvolved and bland.

I backed the Last Shore. I think it looks very lovely. I hope it gets some traction.

Updated the OT

And started putting together the 2016 thread. A lot of cool projects were funded this year

---

Added to Ongoing

Night City Assault
A story-based beat 'em up combining RPG gameplay and mission design with Metroidvania-style exploration.
WUvdj02.png

Psychonauts 2
In Psychonauts 2, Raz realizes his dream and visits Psychonauts Headquarters. However, when he gets there, he finds it's not the perfect place he expected and quickly realizes that the Psychonauts need him more than he needs them.
body_width.jpeg

mauaus

Why is Psychonauts 2 so expensive on consoles it comes up to $57 for a digital copy, or am i doing something wrong?

Megauap

Why is Psychonauts 2 so expensive on consoles it comes up to $57 for a digital copy, or am i doing something wrong?

The problem is that you can only obtain a console copy IF you add it as an addon. I find this quite awful. Why not have a tier (more expensive that the PC copy one) to get a console copy?

The problem is that you can only obtain a console copy IF you add it as an addon. I find this quite awful. Why not have a tier (more expensive that the PC copy one) to get a console copy?

I think I figured out why. It's because the console version isn't going to be available when the game launches.

From Page 16 of the Fig Publishing, Inc. CONFIDENTIAL PRIVATE OFFERING MEMORANDUM
... The game is expected to be released initially on PC followed by the Xbox One and PS4 consoles.

They won't sell console versions by themselves because then they'll have the game launching on PC with console backers waiting for their version to finish development. Therefore, all the tiers on Fig are for the PC version so you have the game on day 1 and if you want it on a console it's an add-on.

Megauap

I think I figured out why. It's because the console version isn't going to be available when the game launches.

From Page 16 of the Fig Publishing, Inc. CONFIDENTIAL PRIVATE OFFERING MEMORANDUM

They won't sell console versions by themselves because then they'll have the game launching on PC with console backers waiting for their version to finish development. Therefore, all the tiers on Fig are for the PC version so you have the game on day 1 and if you want it on a console it's an add-on.

Makes sense that way. I may back it then but when it is in it's final days, just to see if they add any stretch goal and so.

Makes sense that way. I may back it then but when it is in it's final days, just to see if they add any stretch goal and so.

I don't think I'm ready to back them, I just have too many concerns. Plus, with a console version treated as an add-on and no way of getting a physical copy of it, I'm more inclined to just wait until the finished game comes out since I wouldn't be saving any money and would only be paying for uncertainty right now.

So it looks like Project Phoenix has been delayed 2.5 years... In addition to being a year late. It's hard to fathom what they've been doing since the campaign launched 2.5 years ago, but apparently they have no programmers or something? It's all very confusing.

I don't think I'm ready to back them, I just have too many concerns. Plus, with a console version treated as an add-on and no way of getting a physical copy of it, I'm more inclined to just wait until the finished game comes out since I wouldn't be saving any money and would only be paying for uncertainty right now.

The only way it wouldn't be an add-on would be if the PC version would be held back until the console versions are ready, and that really wouldn't be better for anyone, would it?

The campaign for Planet Nomads is happening in January, as is the one for the Consortium sequel

Added to Upcoming

Consortium: The Tower - January 18th
Consortium: The Tower is a new first-person science fiction interactive narrative RPG created using the Unreal 4 Engine and set within the confines of a massive tower looming over Central London.
XXEf6T3.gif

Planet Nomads - January
Planet Nomads is an open-world sandbox game that begins with you crash-landing on an unknown exotic planet full of secrets waiting to be discovered. Gather resources. Start crafting. Build a base to survive. Create vehicles that will expand your reach and exploration potential. Go further and become a true planet nomad – put all your energy into mastercrafting a huge self-sufficient mobile fortress with all the facilities needed to survive on the road.
CharmingUltimateGalapagossealion.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So it looks like Project Phoenix has been delayed 2.5 years... In addition to being a year late. It's hard to fathom what they've been doing since the campaign launched 2.5 years ago, but apparently they have no programmers or something? It's all very confusing.

The single absolute worst crowdfunded games project of all time.

The single absolute worst crowdfunded games project of all time.

It's pretty terrible. I feel for the backers. I know hindsight is 20/20 but looking back at their campaign page, it's pretty cringy how unprepared they were. That project was pitched at a time when people didn't really understand how bad a project can get. If it was pitched today, it would have never gone anywhere.

Oh well, it's all a community learning exercise. We've seen a lot of big anticipated games get crowdfunded this year and I'm sure at least one will fall on its face. There may be lessons to be learned and warning signs we didn't see when we reflect on those ones in the next year or two.

Remember that top-down Western shooter 12 Is Better Than 6? Anyone think the release is kind of shady?

The campaign was in September, ended in October. The estimated release date was March 2016

The game released on Steam in November

And according to KS comments, the devs haven't sent out any physical/digital rewards and hasn't commented on how the game came out so ahead of schedule

Remember that top-down Western shooter 12 Is Better Than 6? Anyone think the release is kind of shady?

The campaign was in September, ended in October. The estimated release date was March 2016

The game released on Steam in November

And according to KS comments, the devs haven't sent out any physical/digital rewards and hasn't commented on how the game came out so ahead of schedule

Holy crap. I remember seeing that game during the last Humble Store Sale but I didn't know it actually had a Kickstarter campaign. If this is true, that's pretty low of them. I've backed a Kickstarter for a game that was pretty much 90-95% done and if I found out the guy was selling the finished product before delivering my rewards I would be pissed. It just doesn't even make any sense with a digitally distributed game so i hope they clear things up.

Holy crap. I remember seeing that game during the last Humble Store Sale but I didn't know it actually had a Kickstarter campaign. If this is true, that's pretty low of them. I've backed a Kickstarter for a game that was pretty much 90-95% done and if I found out the guy was selling the finished product before delivering my rewards I would be pissed. It just doesn't even make any sense with a digitally distributed game so i hope they clear things up.
Yeah, I got more details from the game's TIGSource devlog. It's worse than just not sending out rewards. The whole KS pitch seems misleading
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45421.msg1198746#msg1198746

Here were the dev's response to a poster:
fortunately everything went well, and we can release earlier
We planned the release date including all the stretch goals development time (which you can see on our KS page), unexpected circumstances and any possible delays. Of course there was a thought about making two release dates: one without any stretch goals and another with all of them included. So there was decided to secure ourselves with writing “march of 2016”.

And the reply from the poster who was asking why the game was out so early:
I should just leave this alone but this needs to be said. If you're not transparent and honest in your Kickstarter, you could potentially burn backers which in turn can impact other developers trying to raise funding so I'm just going to say this and then bow out...

I apologize in advance if this comes off as harsh but not being transparent or honest in your Kickstarter is really disappointing. I'm all about being conservative with dates so I don't blame you for that but that should have been clarified that in your Kickstarter. Your stretch goals just list stretch goals with no dates or impact to dates.

If you can finish the game in 4 weeks, then either (1.) The game was clearly 95% done already or (2.) The scope has been dramatically reduced since the Kickstarter was successful. A game 4 weeks out from being finished doesn't meet these descriptions from your Kickstarter:

"This is the project we desperately want to make, but we can’t do it without your interest and support."

"We've managed to create a playable pre-alpha for 12 Is Better Than 6, but this game cannot be made without your support. If you decide to help us, we will be able to finish the game..."

Doesn't sound like a game 4 weeks out from delivery, does it? Sounds like one that needs money or it will fail... In fact you specifically state that:

"The team has been working on the game for one and a half years now, and over that time they took it from concept to a pre-alpha demo... We are currently about half way through development, with a lot of features already in place."

78 weeks to get to 50% and 4 weeks to 100%? Would I have backed the Kickstarter if I knew you didnt need the funding to finish it? Nope. And I'm probably not alone there. I would have waited and bought the game on release (cause it does look like a really cool game).

Releasing the game early should be a good thing, and while I'm still excited to play it... I'm just disappointed that you guys weren't honest about where it was in development. Not being transparent about the game being further ahead in development than it was is just as bad as being way behind schedule and not being honest about how far behind schedule you are. There's just no reason to not be transparent if you're asking for money...

Top Bottom