• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct trademark application/renewal refused by the USPTO

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So how did Fox get the Killer Instinct mark in the first place? Was the video game registration deemed abandoned? I suppose it could've been since it just laid dormant since KI Gold (unless there's a GBA release I'm forgetting or something, but even then, that would've been years prior to the 2005 show.)

Kinda sucks for MS/Rare, because the Killer Instinct name is literally the only thing that'll get people excited about the game.

Let this be a reminder: Protect your IP, kids.

Every 5 years you have to file a Section 8 declaration (and later its every 10). Nintendo filed it in 2001 but failed to in 2006. Not so coincidentally, Fox's trademark application started moving forward once Nintendo's was cancelled.

Honestly, I'm not sure there was anything Microsoft could have done. Even if they had gone ahead and made a Killer Instinct game earlier, they would have been conflicting with either Nintendo's or Fox's trademark. There wasn't any gap time where they could have swooped in and stole it.

rbenchley

I usually loathe the USPTO and the nonsense they get up to, but if they're doing their part to protect gamers from drivel like Killer Instinct, it's possible that they might have some redeeming qualities.

I never even heard of the TV show

Wouldn't it be more confusing if they released a game called Killer Instinct that is based on the TV show and not the game series?

grandjedi6

How the fuck did Nintendo retain the TM for four years after the buyout?

Wouldn't that have allowed them to make a new entry, or did Rare/MS own everything (characters, assets) and just couldn't make a new game with the exact name?

Nintendo should've done this with Banjo. :(

Well to answer your questions in order:

1.) Once you're granted a trademark you only need to reapply every 5 years (at first). Assuming that you're actively defending it of course.

2.) The latter is likely correct though no one knows the exact details of the Rare buyout.

3.) Nintendo actually gave Rare the Banjo-Kazooie trademark in 2004!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Every 5 years you have to file a Section 8 declaration (and later its every 10). Nintendo filed it in 2001 but failed to in 2006. Not so coincidentally, Fox's trademark application started moving forward once Nintendo's was cancelled.

Honestly, I'm not sure there was anything Microsoft could have done. Even if they had gone ahead and made a Killer Instinct game earlier, they would have been conflicting with either Nintendo's or Fox's trademark. There wasn't any gap time where they could have swooped in and stole it.

Okay, cool. Just wasn't sure how active Nintendo was on that front. Given the laid-back approach to bidness and law the industry took in the 90s, I'm surprised Nintendo even bothered to renew it in 2001.

Trademark law is the most frustrating IP law for reasons like this. It really does sound like MS was just screwed from the start, if that's actually how things played out.

Well to answer your questions in order:

1.) Once you're granted a trademark you only need to reapply every 5 years (at first). Assuming that you're actively defending it of course.

2.) The latter is likely correct though no one knows the exact details of the Rare buyout.

3.) Nintendo actually gave Rare the Banjo-Kazooie trademark in 2004!

Why did Nintendo give away the Banjo trademark? They doomed the franchise in doing so. :'(

ArjanN

*Googles*

So a Fox show from 7 years ago that no-one heard of, and didn't even last a full season.

Yeah, I'm sure lots of people would confuse it with that...

On the plus side, this might actually show us if they plan to do anything with Killer Instinct or not.

grandjedi6

Okay, cool. Just wasn't sure how active Nintendo was on that front. Given the laid-back approach to bidness and law the industry took in the 90s, I'm surprised Nintendo even bothered to renew it in 2001.

Trademark law is the most frustrating IP law for reasons like this. It really does sound like MS was just screwed from the start, if that's actually how things played out.
Yeah, it can be pretty complicated and annoying. I'm sure Microsoft's lawyers thought they had at least a decent chance of being granted the trademark.

Why did Nintendo give away the Banjo trademark? They doomed the franchise in doing so. :'(

Why not? Its not like Nintendo gained anything from having the trademark "Banjo-Kazooie" and nothing else associated with the series. Plus it helped simplify things immensely when Rare began releasing the GBA Banjo games which Nintendo had no formal role in (Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge was actually the product submitted for evidence of usage when Rare took over the trademark).

ok so they didnt get Banjo, Golden Eye, KI, or Donkey Kong Country

.....wtf did microsoft actually GET when they bought rare? (besides "owned lololol")

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
*Googles*

So a Fox show from 7 years ago that no-one heard of, and didn't even last a full season.

Yeah, I'm sure lots of people would confuse it with that...

The idea is that they would confuse it with the trademark for any video game based on the TV show Killer Instinct. Whether or not that video game exists, Fox still trademarked the name for video games when they created the show, on the off chance that the show was popular enough to spawn one.

The fact that the show was cancelled by the network doesn't erase their ownership of the trademark.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
oAYFp.jpg

Call it KI and KI 2. Don't bother with the full names if they can't get it back or pay Fox some monies to at least allow the release with the old names. Put it on XBLA with online and a training mode and yer set for easy money.

grandjedi6

The idea is that they would confuse it with the trademark for any video game based on the TV show Killer Instinct. Whether or not that video game exists, Fox still trademarked the name for video games when they created the show, on the off chance that the show was popular enough to spawn one.

The fact that the show was cancelled by the network doesn't erase their ownership of the trademark.

Quick correction: Fox actually didn't trademark it for video games. Instead the USPTO is arguing that the goods (tv shows and video games) are so connected that it would create confusion if the two were to coexist.

The USPTO has a long string of evidence to connect the goods of tv shows and video games, from the similarity in trademarks between NCIS (the show) and Terraria (the game), to the fact that IGN covers both tv shows and video games together.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Wait why does uspto list the mark as live for MS if its been denied?
As long as the mark is not abandoned or cancelled, it will be considered "Live".

Also, why haven't they revamped Jet Force Gemini?
No idea, but seeing as one Ukrainian guy (Roman Bilko) and four US guys (Joe Ortiz, Michael Grover and Paul Richey) on the 30th of August this year trademarked Jet Force Gemini (serial number 85717170), it could be difficult for Rare to renew their marks (one is abandoned, one is cancelled). It's not published for opposition yet though.

grandjedi6

The Killer Instinct.

Why not? Hollywood did it with stuff like that Final Destination sequel.
Because "The Killer Instinct" would still violate and cause confusion with "killer instinct" lol

Wait why does uspto list the mark as live for MS if its been denied?

Because Microsoft has 6 months to respond to the refusal and argue against it (if they want to).

Xater

On the ne hand it's pretty funny that MS never bothered with the IP and now it is biting them i the ass. On the other hand it is super retarded because the game existed way before the TV thing.

MS will probably just work something out with Fox. Or if they can't they may try to just show that Fox is not actively using the trademark

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It won't be hard to argue against it simply because games are not TV shows

It doesn't matter if some games become tv shows or some TV shows become games

Fox didn't apply for games
MS didn't apply for TV show

And using a fox subsidiary (ign) as a source is kind of funny

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If they have a halfway decent trademark counsel, this would stop them for about 9 seconds.

Top Bottom