• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 news on BETA, vehicles and Helghast

kbear

Every little tidbit of KZ2 news gets me so hyped. I've never anticipated a game more than I have this one. It's just crazy... I feverishly clicked this thread like a massive nerd.

Nolan.

Lightning said:
When was it said that the game was going to be released in Feb?

I think it was just random speculation that it would have dropped around q1/q2, at least i thought it might have.

kbear

Kyoufu said:
I'm calling it now, KZ2 = FPS of the generation.
I'm totally with you on this. I've been saying this since December of 06', even before we saw the new footage. Back then it was just a gut feeling, like a prediction. After E3 07', I'm convinced. People don't realize what's at stake here. It's not just financially important, it's symbolically important. Whether Sony planned it or not, the original trailer was forever linked with PS3. After E3 07's trailer, I'm convinced Sony realizes how important it is for this game to be AAA, both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Then you look at other factors like the huge budget, how Sony moved lots of their own people on to the project, the ambitious online plans, the massive hype before the E3 07' event... everything is just falling into place for this thing to blow up like no other.

neorej said:
crazy_kermit.gif

HAHAHA this damn gif never gets old.

Tom Penny

kbear said:
I'm totally with you on this. I've been saying this since December of 06', even before we saw the new footage. Back then it was just a gut feeling, like a prediction. After E3 07', I'm convinced. People don't realize what's at stake here. It's not just financially important, it's symbolically important. Whether Sony planned it or not, the original trailer was forever linked with PS3. After E3 07's trailer, I'm convinced Sony realizes how important it is for this game to be AAA, both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Then you look at other factors like the huge budget, how Sony moved lots of their own people on to the project, the ambitious online plans, the massive hype before the E3 07' event... everything is just falling into place for this thing to blow up like no other.

The majority of Playstation owners never even heard of E3.

kbear

Tom Penny said:
The majority of Playstation owners never even heard of E3.
Have they heard of IGN, Gamespot, 1up, EGM, basically any gaming site on the Internet? Because Killzone 2 was plastered all over them after the reveal.

Pachimari

I thought we already kinda "knew" that Killzone 2 would hit shelves sometime next fall alongside Little Big Planet. That's what Threespeech said (not official by any means but at least somekind of talk from them).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Mid 08 beta sounds good to me. I'll be all over this as well fellas.
Hopefully all goes well and they'll hit the beta launch on time and KZ2 will be nice and ready for a Holiday 08 release.
I'm really interested to see what types of vehicles they have in it and if we can play co-op.

qirex99

Banned
neorej said:
With PR guys you get the same old BS you get from all PR-guys, they know next to nothing REAL about the game. These guys actually develop the game, and know everything about it, so there's no BS whatsoever.
This is also why I liked the Patrice Dessillets interviews for Assassin's Creed better than the Jade ones.

Interviews with actual developers are far more substantial.

Like factor 5's interviews re: Lair?

i *almost* bought a PS3 for LAir. I was so excited for it....then the truth came out.

Devs will say anuthing to push their game. Its $$$$$ afterall!

Wollan

Flood to ruin Killzone confirmed.

Dever said:
Isn't EGM supposed to have a Killzone 2 preview next month?
Christ. If Sony give the first 08 exclusive news drop to EGM someone needs to be fired. Go either Edge or G.I.

Jtrizzy

Well that sucks.

Question: Will we get one of KZ2 MGS4 or GTAIV this spring? Obviously not KZ2 now I guess.

I must get into this beta.

Dever

Banned
Wollan said:

Christ. If Sony give the first 08 exclusive news drop to EGM someone needs to be fired. Go either Edge or G.I.

I'm hoping that the the "others" are intellectual humanoids instead things like mutants or something. I always liked the idea of there being Helghast rebels.

Hopefully if they introduce other aliens into the game, they're not the bullshit Saturday morning cartoon Super Soaker toting variety that makes Halo such a joke to me.

Moostache

So you're telling me there's a chance???

(Of actually seeing this game that is....in 2008 NOW?!?!? Sweet Jesus. I was excited by the original CGI video for the game back in 2004...now? Hell, I have already played BETTER than the CGI videos. Yet still no KZ2 on PS3.

Originally set as a luanch title....then as a second gen title....then as a third gen / second holiday season title....then as a Q1 '08 title to kick off the Sony PS3 Domination '08 tour....now looks like MAYBE a Q2 BETA?!?!? WTF!?!?!?

Someone remember to poke my dead-but-once-interested-corpse with a stick once this game actually sees retail shelves sometime in 2009....

Cardon

Moostache said:

(Of actually seeing this game that is....in 2008 NOW?!?!? Sweet Jesus. I was excited by the original CGI video for the game back in 2004...now? Hell, I have already played BETTER than the CGI videos. Yet still no KZ2 on PS3.

Originally set as a luanch title....then as a second gen title....then as a third gen / second holiday season title....then as a Q1 '08 title to kick off the Sony PS3 Domination '08 tour....now looks like MAYBE a Q2 BETA?!?!? WTF!?!?!?

Someone remember to poke my dead-but-once-interested-corpse with a stick once this game actually sees retail shelves sometime in 2009....

When was the game ever scheduled as a launch title?

Wollan

The biggest problem as I see it is that Killzone 2 might clash against Resistance 2 and a possible Socom Warfare (or whatever). Too tight a schedule for these games.

Kyoufu

Wollan said:
The biggest problem as I see it is that Killzone 2 might clash against Resistance 2 and a possible Socom Warfare (or whatever). Too tight a schedule for these games.

I hope Insomniac takes as much time as possible with R2. Ratchet was good but it felt so casual and empty.

R2 should be a Fall 2009 mega release.

Moostache said:

(Of actually seeing this game that is....in 2008 NOW?!?!? Sweet Jesus. I was excited by the original CGI video for the game back in 2004...now?

2004, huh?

Moostache said:
Originally set as a luanch title

This was supposed to be a launch title? That's the first I've heard of that.

Moostache said:
....then as a second gen title....

then as a third gen / second holiday season title....then as a Q1 '08 title to kick off the Sony PS3 Domination '08 tour....now looks like MAYBE a Q2 BETA?!?!? WTF!?!?!?

You don't know what this "gen" stuff really means, do you?

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hopefully if they introduce other aliens into the game, they're not the bullshit Saturday morning cartoon Super Soaker toting variety that makes Halo such a joke to me.

I don't think there's a realistic risk of that happening in the Killzone universe.

Personally, I hope those dogs from Liberation make it into the game.

Wollan

Hints of there being a third faction in KZ2 is already 'old' news as it was leaked by Joris De Man (music composer) back in 06. It is speculated to be the new Helghast Breed (very much an arian race, the main bad guy in Liberation for example) who doesn't need masks to survive the Helghan atmosphere.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Is co-op in, anyone know?
I would say pretty much confirmed.
The last bit in this video (right click and save):
ftp://download:download@media.gamereactor.dk/GC_Killzone_2_part2.wmv

Das-J

Law of the West
Multiplayer FPS with awesome graphics and semi-realistic weapons says no, the game won't fail.

+ Bald Space Marines... this game is going to sell like CoD4 based on hype alone. I would bet that 1 in 5 PS3 owners picks it up in the first month.

Dever

Banned
kenta said:
Whoa whoa wait whoa wait wait whoa

what?

He probably meant this:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=81699

1. He seen a gameplay video. Graphically he said it was better than the E3 trailer, but personally I think he was just a bit over exited because it looked amazing.

2. NPC's react realistically to where they are shot. The example he said is that a Helghast was hit in the hand and it shook its hand as if in pain, and also if shot in the leg blood seeps out of the exact area shot.

3. For multiplayer each server is like a world, with villages and towns, and your battling for control. If Helghast controlled it looks run down, if ISA controlled it looks nice, with residents living there.

Wollan

Firewire said:
Whats this all about. What are persistent servers? :)
A mmo environment or ongoing battles (meaning that matches aren't individual containted events but part of an overall context).
I haven't seen anything yet to hint at this being a fact. Just fan speculation.

People in the know though have said the game is going to be pushing the barrier for online gaming.

Firewire

Banned
Wollan said:
A mmo environment or ongoing battles (meaning that matches aren't individual containted events but part of an overall context).
I haven't seen anything yet to hint at this being a fact. Just fan speculation.

People in the know though have said the game is going to be pushing the barrier for online gaming.

Sounds pretty cool. It would be very interesting if they did that, I hope we hear more about multiplayer and co-op soon.

FabCam

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the online elements. I'm sure the SP will be awesome, but what will make or break it as a top seller will be the online.

Dante

Wollan said:

Hsu needs to let us all know that he still thinks Gears looks better. :)

Crap, this is print, how is he going to add that in at a later date?

Slavik81

I'm REALLY glad that this game isn't coming out for another year. The E3 showing definitely implied that, while coming along well, it still needed at least another full year before release.

Firewire

Banned
I'm so camping out for this game! Killzone 2 & GT5 will make me into a shut in for all of '09!
And to make it even better I'm getting a new 70" 1080p set next fall.

oo Kosma oo said:
Also bundling the beta with MGS4? No! Infamous would be a better choice, help a new IP out.
Infamous would be a good choice, if the game is actually coming out before KZ2. We've heard so little about Infamous, I'm worried it may get pushed back to '09. I hope not and I wish someone would give us some more details on that game.

I'm so betting the third race are some form of parasitic hive-mind race like the Zerg, the Flood, the Many and every other 'third race' in games ever.

Top Bottom