• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall MP: 1 Year later

I found KZ:SF mp better than KZ2 and KZ3, as the aiming felt lighter and more precise, almost COD-like.

Its just a shame the mp isn't heavily populated, it is quite underrated.

Jamesways

Why? I've always liked playing against bots. I go out of my way to buy MP games with bots. Should be an industry standard.

Damn straight.

Agreed! I love playing online botzone now. They unlocked progression in this mode too a little while ago. Such a blast to play, customizing missions on my favorite maps.

And I love that you can spend "points" now on DLC, that's a great system. I'm an idiot, should have gotten the season pass a long time ago. But I'm satisfied with the money I've spent on all the DLC to support GG.

Nullpointer, have you torn yourself away from DC to play the new maps/changes lately? GG's support and patches have been nothing short of fantastic.

Acrylic7

Nothing. ShadowFall is better in every measure:

- Visuals
- AI
- Pacing
- Gunplay
- Controls
- Level design

Seriously, it's just a FAR superior game.
-Its a playstation 4 game-_-.... Also if we are talking about visuals then art style comes into effect and Killzone 2's is far superior.
-AI is the same
-Pacing? Single player pacing isn't good, not even in KZ2.
-Gunplay- again this is the result of Guerrilla not knowing what to do with the mess that was KZ3. Gunplay in KZ2 was authentic and people just complained. No one gave it a chance.
- Level design? Killzone 2 maps are the best around. The best. Salamon Market good lordy lord.

lordxar

Just bought this again the other day actually. Made the mistake of getting it on disc at launch and trading it. Glad to be back! Platted this game before I traded it off and I have to say that working to that really shows all the nuances of each class and ability. Now there's new abilities and maps to mess with. The Valor system is an amazing idea. I took a while off but I have to say it's definitely matured quite nicely. The map with the dam and flood water is pretty freakin sweet but seems to have framerate issues. Been fiending to play this and am not disappointed.

tell me what you think:

Killzone SF Madness: http://youtu.be/DReIwKBRrmE

It's still KZSF. Painfully slow and meandering (to make up for the lack of aim-assist; don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise), with some of the worst weapon sound effects in any FPS game I've ever played. Weapons and grenades have all the acoustic weight and depth of a bowl of Frosted Flakes. Gunplay that feels better than it looks, however.

I may never forgive them for just how bad the sound effects are in this game. Compared to something like BF4, Titanfall, CoD or this new Halo 5 beta it's like they didn't give a fuck at all.

Game is still fun, but only on a very occasional basis for me. Still the prettiest FPS on the market by a fair margin. Community is painfully small and has always been, but at least there's always someone to play with/against. And they have done a commendable job keeping the game growing in features.

I think I probably would have appreciated the game more if it had launched with the features it has now rather than getting them over the course of the next 10 months post-launch. It was very bare-bones when it launched which didn't help it's cause vs the likes of BF4 and CoD. It didn't even have voice chat. In 2013. Like, who the fuck even launches a product in this day and age without such basic online features. People that bought the game quickly moved on and very few kept it or popped it back in for a second go-round. Those that did found a nice game to keep and play on occasion.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
-Its a playstation 4 game-_-.... Also if we are talking about visuals then art style comes into effect and Killzone 2's is far superior.
-AI is the same
-Pacing? Single player pacing isn't good, not even in KZ2.
-Gunplay- again this is the result of Guerrilla not knowing what to do with the mess that was KZ3. Gunplay in KZ2 was authentic and people just complained. No one gave it a chance.
- Level design? Killzone 2 maps are the best around. The best. Salamon Market good lordy lord.

Visuals and AI are a given obviously, but even the artstyle in SF is superior imo. I prefer the brighter, cleaner look to everything.

Level design I was referring more to single player. Never really played KZ2 online, at least not enough to remember how good or bad the maps were. I was too busy fighting the terrible controls to notice.

The gunplay in 2 really wasn't that great. At all. SF sits nicely between 2 and 3 I think. It's nice. Not too CoD like, but not too heavy and unresponsive. I maintain that ShadowFall is comfortable the best in the series and hopefully if more games are made, they're more like ShadowFall.

One of the most boring FPS I've ever played. I couldn't believe how they went from a truly amazing FPS like KZ2 to this garbage.

I almost fell asleep several chapters in on the campaign. One chapter you were on some ship or something carrying around some crap to plug in.

It was just bland, boring and confusing at times(where the hell do I go??)

Multiplayer was the same. The controls felt like you were dragging
MP9_Chain_Chomp_Bust.png
behind you.

The fluctuating framerate was a big no no. It made the game very visually displeasing and the artstyle didn't make up for it. I'd prefer to lock the fps to 30 if that was the case. I didn't like most of the maps and them lowering the player count was dumb.

Massive disappointment imo. I'd rather GG whip up KZ2 remastered for PS4 at 60fps. I'm sure that'll be a much better game.

pixelbox

One of the most boring FPS I've ever played. I couldn't believe how they went from a truly amazing FPS like KZ2 to this garbage.

I almost fell asleep several chapters in on the campaign. One chapter you were on some ship or something carrying around some crap to plug in.

It was just bland, boring and confusing at times(where the hell do I go??)

Multiplayer was the same. The controls felt like you were dragging
MP9_Chain_Chomp_Bust.png
behind you.

The fluctuating framerate was a big no no. It made the game very visually displeasing and the artstyle didn't make up for it. I'd prefer to lock the fps to 30 if that was the case. I didn't like most of the maps and them lowering the player count was dumb.

Massive disappointment imo. I'd rather GG whip up KZ2 remastered for PS4 at 60fps. I'm sure that'll be a much better game.

The thread was about KZ 1 year later, I mean have you played it 1 year later? Not only that but only one game has a stable framerate which is COD Ghost.

It's still KZSF. Painfully slow and meandering (to make up for the lack of aim-assist; don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise), with some of the worst weapon sound effects in any FPS game I've ever played. Weapons and grenades have all the acoustic weight and depth of a bowl of Frosted Flakes. Gunplay that feels better than it looks, however.

I may never forgive them for just how bad the sound effects are in this game. Compared to something like BF4, Titanfall, CoD or this new Halo 5 beta it's like they didn't give a fuck at all.

Game is still fun, but only on a very occasional basis for me. Still the prettiest FPS on the market by a fair margin. Community is painfully small and has always been, but at least there's always someone to play with/against. And they have done a commendable job keeping the game growing in features.

I think I probably would have appreciated the game more if it had launched with the features it has now rather than getting them over the course of the next 10 months post-launch. It was very bare-bones when it launched which didn't help it's cause vs the likes of BF4 and CoD. It didn't even have voice chat. In 2013. Like, who the fuck even launches a product in this day and age without such basic online features. People that bought the game quickly moved on and very few kept it or popped it back in for a second go-round. Those that did found a nice game to keep and play on occasion.

Really? I thought the sound quality was superb. Also sounds in this game interacts with the environment.

Does pixelbox work for Guerrilla Games? Just curious...

Is creating a thread about a game you like signs of working for the company. Just curious...

Nullpointer, have you torn yourself away from DC to play the new maps/changes lately? GG's support and patches have been nothing short of fantastic.
Tore myself away from DC to play some Horizon 2 and some Warframe, but might jump into Intercept for a bit sometime soon. Haven't had a chance to tackle those new maps either and every time I play it I have a blast.

Competitive was something I dropped into every once in a while and really enjoyed - but it just never clicked at all for my buddies. They thought it was too slow, and they sucked, so its been a long while for me. I'll still pop in at random hours and play some botzone for kicks.

So while I haven't been playing it myself, the fact that the game is updated the way it has been by GG means there are zero barriers for me or anyone else to jump back in, and actually positive reasons to (new maps, tweaks, clan support, etc). All you need is free time and inclination. I've always thought GG deserves all the credit and goodwill in the world for how well they've supported this game.

Respawn

Banned
I just realized that the only good game we got from Guerrilla was Killzone2.

I'm going to be that guy and say that Guerrilla made the 2nd best multiplayer game for consoles last gen. And hands down the best Playstation multiplayer game ever.
How he hell do you go from that to mediocre?

Oh what could have been. I can honestly say that I would own a ps4 at launch if Killzone 3 and SF were just Killzone 2.5
I have to chime and say KZ2 was really something special.

I logged on today and was pleasantly surprised. It was around 2PM est, usually a quieter time and it was fairly populated. I played a couple hours of Extended and Classic Warzone.

I always find myself coming back to Killzone. It really has a lot of depth with the different classes and the variety of abilities you can equip them with. Also, I wish more games would adopt the no aim-assist like Killzone.

It looks like the holiday season is bringing in a decent amount of new players. If you can pick Killzone up for $20 or less, you'll certaintly really enjoy the multiplayer and all the added content Guerrilla has provided.

MikeyB

Played some classic warzone last night at about 10 p.m. EST. Immediately got a match at about 5 a side.

The valor system really adds that feeling of progression even if you suck (like I do). It's awesome that they made the DLC customizations purchasable through valor points.

Going to try Intercept tonight.

Top Bottom