• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

You're really into Kinect then? Man, I'm kind of surprised. I suppose my comment was aimed more at the type of software we're seeing than anything else. It's been a year since release and there are ~60 games for Kinect.

I've got a Kinect. Not terribly into it so far. I got it for free otherwise I wouldn't have one yet. Child of Eden is kind of fun. Fruit Ninja is cool for parties. Mostly I just use it for the voice commands, which obviously could have been implemented other than with Kinect.

On the other hand I know a couple of families who play Kinect all the time.

I'm not defending it as a 'core' peripheral, I just don't think it's fair to compare it to quickly abandoned tech like the VB. There's a market for it, even if I don't overlap that much with that market.

Virtual Boy, Jaguar...they had no market. Kinect has a (thus far, non-core) market. Apples and oranges.

But no apologies needed!

I am completely 100% surprised by the reactions in this thread. No trolling intended. I can't recall the last time there was such a disconnect between what I've experienced and peoples impressions. At least with the Wii I could very clearly understand the appeal and even appreciate what they were doing.

One obvious interpretation is that you had very different expectations than everyone else. The other is that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Finally, it could be that everyone else is right and you are wrong.

Frankfurt

Banned
From my ignorant perspective I see hardware that doesn't deliver what was promised with a very small, limited software lineup made up of games that have hardly evolved since launch.

Kinect's line-up has been very, very repetitive. Lots of shovelware.

But the tech itself can work just fine (Gunstringer, CoE, Kinect Sports 1, DC...) and there's enough high-quality games for the average person. I used to buy 2 or 3 games a year before i got my current job. Kinect has 6 must-buy retail titles (IMO). More if we add exercise games and XBLA. XBox had what, a little over a dozen must-buy games this year?

The only people that think Kinect has zeeeroooo games are the people that hate Kinect itself.

I'm sure you all have already, but every Kinect user should get on the new dash asap. Some awesome improvements to Kinect's dashboard functionality. :)

Sorry not sure where wifey hid camera, only have smartphone with no flash

img378h.jpg

I think you would be fine, the clip just makes a secure base, it does not dead lock it onto the TV, so the pressure from the clip wouldn't cause the top to slip

This device works great.

Pachimari

Where can I find a nice clip or something to hold the Kinect above the television?

Right now it stands on some kitchen boards and I have dropped it 7+ times, but I would like it to stand securely. Anything on Amazon?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kinect's line-up has been very, very repetitive. Lots of shovelware.

But the tech itself can work just fine (Gunstringer, CoE, Kinect Sports 1, DC...) and there's enough high-quality games for the average person. I used to buy 2 or 3 games a year before i got my current job. Kinect has 6 must-buy retail titles (IMO). More if we add exercise games and XBLA. XBox had what, a little over a dozen must-buy games this year?

The only people that think Kinect has zeeeroooo games are the people that hate Kinect itself.
Child of Eden I can agree with. It works well even if I still feel the lag. It's a lot of fun to play on Kinect. I prefer the PS3 version only due to stereoscopic 3D + Move (which is trippy as hell when played on a Sony HMZ-T1).

Gunstringer is pretty simplistic as well, but a fun, well produced game. Perhaps the best Kinect-only title to date.

I didn't think Kinect Sports worked all that well as they subtracted even more interaction than Wii-sports.

Dance Central is also pretty awesome.

I still feel as if all of them are very surface, though. They don't really do anything really unique with full body motion. Dance Central is kind of there, but they obscure a lot from the user. Most of the games seem to track VERY basic motions or turn your arm into a cursor. Both are neat, but I was kind of hoping we'd see a lot more. The Kinect is more than a year old and there is still very little on the horizon promising something new.

I definitely do not HATE Kinect, though. I don't really hate any game hardware, to be honest, as I tend to buy most everything. I did not buy a Kinect but I did spent a few days with it in my gaming area a month or so ago. It's definitely much better at home than in store, I can admit that much.

qupe1975

Neo Member
Child of Eden I can agree with. It works well even if I still feel the lag. It's a lot of fun to play on Kinect. I prefer the PS3 version only due to stereoscopic 3D + Move (which is trippy as hell when played on a Sony HMZ-T1).

Gunstringer is pretty simplistic as well, but a fun, well produced game. Perhaps the best Kinect-only title to date.

I didn't think Kinect Sports worked all that well as they subtracted even more interaction than Wii-sports.

Dance Central is also pretty awesome.

I still feel as if all of them are very surface, though. They don't really do anything really unique with full body motion. Dance Central is kind of there, but they obscure a lot from the user. Most of the games seem to track VERY basic motions or turn your arm into a cursor. Both are neat, but I was kind of hoping we'd see a lot more. The Kinect is more than a year old and there is still very little on the horizon promising something new.

I definitely do not HATE Kinect, though. I don't really hate any game hardware, to be honest, as I tend to buy most everything. I did not buy a Kinect but I did spent a few days with it in my gaming area a month or so ago. It's definitely much better at home than in store, I can admit that much.

Try Winter Stars and the Snowboarding and Biathlon events...they are not just simplified movements.

I think once you get the hang of Table Tennis on Kinect Sports it's a really decent attempt, miles better then the dumbed down Tennis on KS2. Kinect Sports has some reasonable games and I know a lot of people who have sold their Wii's and got this instead. Yes some of it is very basic but it's still good fun too and much more energetic then Wii sports ever got in my opinion.

Your Shape is a damn decent piece of software too.

People go on about how many games does it have that are decent, it depends on the individual and what they like. The same could be said of the Wii. I think the Kinect is a decent bit of software and great family fun.

My daughter and I have great fun on Kinect Adventures, especially the rallyball and river rapids.

Kinectimals is short term fun for her and she plays it in bursts. It looks good but is a definitely a kiddy game, that even they get bored of by a certain point.

My friends and I get great enjoyment out of Kinect Sports 1 and a bit out of Kinect Sports 2, KS2 felt half finished.

Dance Central as mentioned is great, if you have rhythm - I do when pissed.

Your Shape I enjoy working out too when I can and think it has some decent workouts.

I also have Fruit Ninja which my daughter and I like playing now and then. All in all I have had over 200 hours of fun on my Kinect already easily. I like it and isn't fun what it's all about at the end of the day?

9 new golf holes in this months Kinect Sports 2 DLC.

I'm a bit annoyed that only one is free, given the complaints about the game not having enough content at launch (though I know the first pack was free, that was the case with the first game too). Still, Golf is one of my favourites and I welcome some new holes. I'll buy day one if it's 240 points. Still curious what the new sport is.

Yeah, cool...but where's the damned DLC that imports KS1 sports into the superior KS2 menus and interface?! GRRRRRR...damn you, MS.

Gaspode_T

Was so worth it to buy a 360 + Kinect for my 8 year old niece. Haters can go hate all day, seeing the smiles on her face was worth every penny and some thousands of dollars more. Kinect Pixar is not even the end of it.

Kolgar

Did the recent Kinect enhance the device's sensitivity at all? I feel like lag had been reduced in the YourShape workout I just did, but it could be placebo effect.

Alx

Recent software probably use upgraded libraries, like those that were released with the latest SDK and announced better performances.
I tried both the Twister and Yourshape demos yesterday, and noticed that in both games the silhouette extraction was much better, with stable continuous contours, while in the first batch of games the contours were always "shimmering". It's probably another thing that was enhanced.

Did the recent Kinect enhance the device's sensitivity at all? I feel like lag had been reduced in the YourShape workout I just did, but it could be placebo effect.
Oddly enough, YS is failing to track me in a couple of things that it tracked me perfectly in the day before. I guess it could be down to lighting (unlikely, I always have the blinds closed) or clothing (I think I usually wear the same sort of stuff)... but something definitely seems different.

Raide

Is there any way to force the kinect to look down? I've moved it to my shelf above the TV but it always pointed too high.

If you manually change the settings/calibrate, you can get it to point up or down more. Just make sure its secure before you play around with the settings, since it can lead to it throwing itself off TV's. :D

We could potentially be witnessing the latest "32x/Virtual Boy/Atari Jaguar/3DO/64DD" type of device here. It's been a long time since we've had one in the market place but Kinect could very well be one of them.

Of course, if MS pushes ahead and attempts to turn this into a major component in the next XBOX the actual concept may live on, but the Kinect product as we know it today doesn't seem to have a bright future.

It's definitely a fascinating situation, though, as they've sold a decent number of these things but almost completely failed to deliver any worthwhile software.
either a troll or a joke post.

So far, the Kinect has provided the gaming industry with a new concept and new type of gameplay unlike other conventional motion control devices and it works and it has delivered.

Its commercial success will probably force Microsoft to bring it back with the new Xbox.

Flavius

Can I just share how much it's friggin' killing me, having to wait til Christmas to play Elmo & Disneyland Adventures with my two girls?

Gaaaaaaah! They're too young to notice things like missing cellophane, but...eh...guess it just wouldn't be right.

Absolutely love the Kinect, as others have said here, and despite it not being quite all that was promised initially...I think MS has done a great job of supporting it (at least for my demographic...37 year old, married with two young children).

Frankfurt

Banned
If you manually change the settings/calibrate, you can get it to point up or down more.

Mine never saves the tilt, despite it saying it saved. I tilt it down on the Kinect Setting of the dash, but it only works for one game tops (then resets back to middle tilt) or worse, it resets itself during the start up screen. Shit pisses me off.

derFeef

Mine never saves the tilt, despite it saying it saved. I tilt it down on the Kinect Setting of the dash, but it only works for one game tops (then resets back to middle tilt) or worse, it resets itself during the start up screen. Shit pisses me off.

It's also automatically adjusting the tilt for some games, even in games for different game modes, too. So if your setup is off in the beginning, it might be more off after further automatic adjustment.

Frankfurt

Banned
It's also automatically adjusting the tilt for some games, even in games for different game modes, too. So if your setup is off in the beginning, it might be more off after further automatic adjustment.

I have it set up so it sees my whole body 100% perfectly - my head and feet aren't even that close to the borders. Kinect Adventures starts, it tilts during boot so it chops over 30% of my body and calls it a day.

Gaspode_T

Can I just share how much it's friggin' killing me, having to wait til Christmas to play Elmo & Disneyland Adventures with my two girls?

Gaaaaaaah! They're too young to notice things like missing cellophane, but...eh...guess it just wouldn't be right.

Absolutely love the Kinect, as others have said here, and despite it not being quite all that was promised initially...I think MS has done a great job of supporting it (at least for my demographic...37 year old, married with two young children).

I'm actually kind of frustrated that I have to rely upon Amazon.com reviews to figure out which Kinect games are good for my family and which might suck, I was hoping there would be more Parent GAF around here. Maybe there is a website somewhere with reviews...could have sworn there was something like parentgamer.com

I ended up sending Just Dance Kids 2 for Xmas present, I hope it doesn't suck...I was hovering over the Nickelodeon Dance game but picked the Just Dance for some reason instead...I think now she has too many dance games so it would be great to have something else. I wish they had more science games like being able to explore the sky with your hands (astronomy)

Frankfurt

Banned
Does Your Shape 2012 create a program for you? From reading reviews, it seems that it just lists stuff and you have to individually select them, it doesn't actually set them up or track them much. True?

Biggest Loser makes actual programs, right?

Xenon

I'm looking to get a gift for an 8 year old boy and his 6 year old brother. I was looking at Powerup heroes or Kung Fu Hi Impact. Their parents are pretty lenient and take them to PG-13 movies all the time. Disney is 24.99 at best buy as well but I think they'd be more into the fighting games.

I'm thinking of picking one up. I'm wondering if you can connect the kinect to a 360 slim using the USB cable/AC adapter solution like you would an older 360.

NavNucST3

That's exactly why I'm asking, could you point me to what usb cable you're using too?

I got this one from amazon because I needed it faster than what monoprice would have shipped it but I believe if you get it from monoprice it's less to much less.

What distance did you need? I have a 32ft one thats been sitting here for months that I ordered but I realized it was going to be too short for the way the installers were going to run the cable.

ESRB has rated Star Wars

Lastest 360 game rated, searching seems to show it's been done in the last few days(or at least I can only find articles from the last 2 days)

Rating: Teen

Content descriptors: Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence

Rating summary: In this action game, based on the Star Wars universe, players use their body movements to perform activities that include dance tournaments, podracing, and Jedi duels. In some mini-games, players use light sabers and telekinetic powers to battle fantastical creatures (e.g., aliens and robots) in melee-style combat; enemies collapse to the ground when killed. In one sequence, players assume a first-person perspective to shoot down alien spaceships—these frenetic battles are accompanied by laser fire and large explosions. Another sequence allows players to control a giant creature that rampages through city streets to attack civilians; cries of pain and crunching sounds can be heard as humanoid characters are thrown, stomped on, and eaten. In the dancing mini-game, some female characters perform suggestive moves (e.g., gyrating their hips/buttocks) and wear revealing outfits (partially exposed cleavage/buttocks). The words “damn” and “hell” can be heard in the dialogue.

Top Bottom