• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Dedede Confirmed for Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I love you more with each day. If your main is also The Dorf I would fall over dead right now.

I also rocked the Ness. Dem PK thunder shots got accurate after awhile. So annoying. That and his upsmashing/pk fire shit.

Ness is awesome to play.

I also love how creative you can be with Ness with PK Thunder/Fire setups. His move-set is extremely fun.

Ganondorf is so awesome too, short-hopped d-airs. <3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
screen-9.jpg

Den expressions!

not fit enough she says

I don't follow.

Wolf, Fox and Falco have almost a completely different move-set each save for their specials which only have similar traits (yet they still act very differently). They're all different characters, Wolf especially. So I'd think we do need them, because they're some of the more interesting characters in the game.

The Landmaster Final Smash thing is a bit odd, though.

Ike shouldn't be changed, he's awesome, and one of the most fun and unique characters to play. There's no need to remove these characters for the sake of it.

I mean in the sense that less from one particular place means more new characters we could see. I'm not saying they all play the same, I think you could easily subsititue someone in for the likes of Ike for example from that series.

My thing is I'd rather see more newer characters than older ones. I like all the characters from Brawl in one way or another, (except Metaknight because I hold a personal grudge against him) but I feel like a bit of a mix up of characters would be good. Like I'm more jazzed about Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Rosalina, and the Villager than I am about making sure we get every single character from the previous game. Because if we keep everyone and add new characters it gets to be a big huge mess.

There's always going to be casualties, I mean they switched Ike for Roy, took out characters from melee to brawl. But they'll be made up for with new additions/changes. Like from Melee to Brawl I was pretty upset I couldn't play as Dr. Mario, specifically cause he looked the coolest.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The candle is about to burn out on that Solid Snake vigil you're holding. Perhaps it's time to let it go so you don't develop a grudge or a complex.

im not the one with the grudge complex, but we literally have no confirmation one way or another. And it would be wise if people didnt make assumptions because several times people have made assumptions from smash 4 and turn out completely wrong, I know this cause I post in the thread daily.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love you more with each day. If your main is also The Dorf I would fall over dead right now.

I also rocked the Ness. Dem PK thunder shots got accurate after awhile. So annoying. That and his upsmashing/pk fire shit.
I played him for fun in Melee, but man he sucked in brawl :(

At least Bowser could parry in brawl
His weak fast attacks had massive ass hitboxes that clashed with EVERYTHING so you just clashed and set stuff up off them for free

Azure J

I'm really very happy with the trend back towards primary colors for this game. Everything pops in a way that just feels right.

I'm really very happy with the trend back towards primary colors for this game. Everything pops in a way that just feels right.
Yep, the art direction for this game is tops.

Looking back at Brawl, I really dislike how "realistic" they tried to make it. The denim on the Mario bros. especially upsets me for some reason.

Village

Looking back at Brawl, I really dislike how "realistic" they tried to make it. The denim on the Mario bros. especially upsets me for some reason.

Melee did the exact same thing doe.

It just looked more poo.

Melee did the exact same thing doe.

It just looked more poo.
For some reason I did not find it as offensive then, probably because you couldn't really make it out when playing Melee. (Melee was also decidedly more colorful than Brawl.)

Regardless, the return to bright colors and clean design is much appreciated. (Except in the case of DK and Fox, they still look gross.)

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I mean in the sense that less from one particular place means more new characters we could see. I'm not saying they all play the same, I think you could easily subsititue someone in for the likes of Ike for example from that series.

My thing is I'd rather see more newer characters than older ones. I like all the characters from Brawl in one way or another, (except Metaknight because I hold a personal grudge against him) but I feel like a bit of a mix up of characters would be good. Like I'm more jazzed about Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Rosalina, and the Villager than I am about making sure we get every single character from the previous game. Because if we keep everyone and add new characters it gets to be a big huge mess.

There's always going to be casualties, I mean they switched Ike for Roy, took out characters from melee to brawl. But they'll be made up for with new additions/changes. Like from Melee to Brawl I was pretty upset I couldn't play as Dr. Mario, specifically cause he looked the coolest.

Oh, I'm really excited for Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Rosalina, and Villager too. The idea that when the game comes out I have a bunch of new characters to learn is exciting, plus changes to veterans like Bowser and Pit are great too. I'm going to lose my social life for a long time when this game comes out, heh.

I'm expecting like 10-12 newcomers in the end of it all, and if all Brawl veterans will return that will be a huge roster. That's something that actually makes me pretty excited rather than thinking it's a huge mess.

Dr. Mario not returning really sucked (as I play Doc in Melee), Sakurai wanted no clones to return in Brawl... but that doesn't explain Mewtwo! Roy being replaced by Ike was something I'm happy with if it was a one-or-the-other situation, but it still sucks that he couldn't make it anyway with an updated move-set... (I love Ike anyway as he was my first character I really got into in Brawl)

I guess I just trust that Sakurai has a clear idea of what newcomers will come into Smash 4 and what veterans will return. I don't really see it as a veteran returning will equal a lost slot in the roster, as Sakurai seems to be pretty okay with a huge roster!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For some reason I did not find it as offensive then, probably because you couldn't really make it out when playing Melee. (Melee was also decidedly more colorful than Brawl.)

Regardless, the return to bright colors and clean design is much appreciated. (Except in the case of DK and Fox, they still look gross.)

You mean you dont like Fox's bell head design from the bestselling and critically acclaimed Star Fox Command - Furry Fanfic Edition.

rekameohs

Banned
Dr. Mario not returning really sucked (as I play Doc in Melee), Sakurai wanted no clones to return in Brawl... but that doesn't explain Mewtwo! Roy being replaced by Ike was something I'm happy with if it was a one-or-the-other situation, but it still sucks that he couldn't make it anyway with an updated move-set... (I love Ike anyway as he was my first character I really got into in Brawl)
From what I understand, Sakurai wanted everyone to return in Brawl, but time constraints prevented that.

Berordn

In Melee it helped that the general color scheme was still pretty bright and the textures were still fairly basic all around, none of the weird dark and grittiness we had in Brawl.

You mean you dont like Fox's bell head design from the bestselling and critically acclaimed Star Fox Command - Furry Fanfic Edition.
I hate his "current" design with the burning rage of 1000 suns. The sleek retro sci-fi look of the original Smash Bros. was by far the best.

And DK just looks goofy as hell.

Oh, I'm really excited for Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Rosalina, and Villager too. The idea that when the game comes out I have a bunch of new characters to learn is exciting, plus changes to veterans like Bowser and Pit are great too. I'm going to lose my social life for a long time when this game comes out, heh.

I'm expecting like 10-12 newcomers in the end of it all, and if all Brawl veterans will return that will be a huge roster. That's something that actually makes me pretty excited rather than thinking it's a huge mess.

I guess I just trust that Sakurai has a clear idea of what newcomers will come into Smash 4 and what veterans will return. I don't really see it as a veteran returning will equal a lost slot in the roster, as Sakurai seems to be pretty okay with a huge roster!

I'm sure Sakurai will work wonders and make everything great. I just don't want the roster to become so big that it becomes unbalanced to an extreme. He's really good about that an all but if he'd end up putting in a whole bunch of characters that would inevitably take up a lot of time. This is one of the few fighting games that I enjoy having a decent sized roster and probably the only one I'd enjoy DLC on (assuming it isn't on disc), since Nintendo would probably just give it away or add a bunch of characters for like twenty dollars.

My whole bring in more newcomers thing also probably comes from wanting to see folks like Shulk or Reyn from Xenoblade among other games that aren't represented with a character. I'm not opposed to a giant roster, I just don't want one so big it'll throw off the balance of the game.

If only Sakurai left a few secret characters by the time the game released to leave me even more jazzed for playing it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In Melee it helped that the general color scheme was still pretty bright and the textures were still fairly basic all around, none of the weird dark and grittiness we had in Brawl.

Brawl was about as dark and gritty as a birthday party.

Berordn

Brawl was about as dark and gritty as a birthday party.

It reminded me of my 13th birthday party when I decided I was too cool for colors, yes.

Seriously though, let me use this comparison I stole from Google to exemplify:
mariogqzpt.jpg

Melee still used more primary color than Brawl did, which had far more muted tones. The textures, while erring on the side of realism were still stylized. Brawl just went all out with the realistic look. It was probably out of necessity for Melee to look that way thanks to limited resources, but I still think it worked better than Brawl's style.

Mariolee

Dude's animations will be fantastic. The expressions in this game look amazing. It's like something out of an actual CG movie.

SegaShack

With all the talk about the roster of the game being smaller than Brawl's and them wanting to focus on essentials, I can't help but be let down by this announcement. I mean, we have 2 versions of Link, will probably get the 3 Star Fox characters again, and now we have De De De. Maybe it was because he was only playable in Brawl but his moveset, physics, and controls always felt way off to me. He was fun to play as but far from essential.

Since the cast will be smaller than Brawl, but new characters are added in, it makes me wonder who was going to get cut. I was pretty sure De De De would have been. Typing that out makes me feel like Carlos Mencia.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
With all the talk about the roster of the game being smaller than Brawl's and them wanting to focus on essentials, I can't help but be let down by this announcement. I mean, we have 2 versions of Link, will probably get the 3 Star Fox characters again, and now we have De De De. Maybe it was because he was only playable in Brawl but his moveset, physics, and controls always felt way off to me. He was fun to play as but far from essential.

Since the cast will be smaller than Brawl, but new characters are added in, it makes me wonder who was going to get cut. I was pretty sure De De De would have been. Typing that out makes me feel like Carlos Mencia.

Why would a Kirby character get cut? You know who made the game right? Expect Metaknight back as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
King Dedede look so awesome, way better than his brawl model. I felt that he is more alive in this games this time.

Yep, I really love the art direction in two games (3DS and Wii U.) They look so fantastic.

rekameohs

Banned

This thinking is absurd. We don't even have a release date and the roster is still growing. It's past the halfway mark to Brawl's total already. We have four newcomers revealed already, so do you really think they'll cut 5+ characters from Brawl's roster and not reveal a single new character from here on out? There is zero chance that it will be smaller than Brawl's.

Top Bottom