• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess since basically ever big western studio has their own propietary engine, japan might be a new market for Epic.

Namco, SE, Platinum....Capcom next? lol
I think Sega might be a good target for when they go next-gen only. Their tech is serviceable, but I think they have far less internal pride in it than Capcom.

That and everyone else big pretty much made their own in house engines this time lol.
Yes, Epic had to refocus heavily on smaller developers and Japan since most independent Western devs went bankrupt and they only ever had two Western publishers as notable support (Take-Two and Warner).

raven777

I don't mind the engine switch and I am sure they can make great looking game with UE4.

But yea it's really messed up to see another engine problem from SE. It's like they didn't learn anything from last gen's engine disaster.

What's the point of making an inhouse engine if they are not going to use it more than few games>?

Do any Japanese publishers aside from Konami have reasonably functional in-house engines for ps4/xb1?

I know Capcom seems to be in a mess, and now there's this news.

What do Namco and Tecmo-Koei use?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do any Japanese publishers aside from Konami have reasonably functional in-house engines for ps4/xb1?

What do Namco and Tecmo-Koei use?
Namco uses a variety of engines, but recently started licensing Unreal Engine 4 (Tekken 7, Summer Lesson).

Tecmo-Koei has the engine they use for Musou games that also got inherited by Gust. They don't make much so there's probably not a huge incentive to invest given what they have works for the one series they make.

neptunes

I feel like square, and a lot of other japanese studios were too rigid in their development ways. Had they been open to using middleware engines two generations ago we probably could have gotten at least two unique FF iterations.

Instead of them milking the same engine used for FF 13, they could have just focused on creating new assests.

Capcom has Panta Rhei, doesn't it?

If I were Capcom, I'd save some cash and just keep building off of MT Framework. It seems to be crazy versatile.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom has Panta Rhei, doesn't it?

If I were Capcom, I'd save some cash and just keep building off of MT Framework. It seems to be crazy versatile.

Panta Rhei is technically billed as "the next evolution of the MT Framework engine" IIRC.

It's just got a different name since they're vastly rebuilding it.

HeelPower

SE does.

They are using luminous tech(or variants of it) with FFXV as reported by Tabata.

Can people stop acting like it was a waste ?

They will make a flagship game and its sequels with in-house tech.That's enough of a success.

No body said this would be the next UNREAL.

I don't mind the engine switch and I am sure they can make great looking game with UE4.

But yea it's really messed up to see another engine problem from SE. It's like they didn't learn anything from last gen's engine disaster.

What's the point of making an inhouse engine if they are not going to use it more than few games>?

It's funny because when you think about it this is still technically last gen's engine disaster because FFXV. lol

Good old SE.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel like square, and a lot of other japanese studios were too rigid in their development ways. Had they been open to using middleware engines two generations ago we probably could have gotten at least two unique FF iterations.

Instead of them milking the same engine used for FF 13, they could have just focused on creating new assests.

I wouldn't know about 'at least two unique FF iterations', but it's no secret that Japanese studios have traditionally (literally traditionally) never been as open to engines OR middleware as western devs, and it's shown with having an even harder time keeping up with ballooning dev costs this ps360 gen.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah, Epic is bending over backwards to get pretty much anyone who's willing to use UE4 to do so, haha.

MS using it for a variety of projects. D4, Fable Legends, Gears, and Scalebound off the top of my head. Halo, Forza, and Rare tech might be their only proprietary engines at this point.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
UE4 isn't UE3 and looks like it supports a versatile selection of styles.

In terms of styles, even UE3 is good. It only depends on the hardware.

untitled-3luzhg.gif

What UE3 can do on PS4.

Namco uses a variety of engines, but recently started licensing Unreal Engine 4 (Tekken 7, Summer Lesson).

Tecmo-Koei has the engine they use for Musou games that also got inherited by Gust. They don't make much so there's probably not a huge incentive to invest given what they have works for the one series they make.

Maybe Team Ninja will rather get UE4 once they also jump on next gen?

I guess the more japan uses UE4, the more widespread will become on the country.

I just wanted to believe in this engine. It looked so promising.

Glee_kurt-cry.gif

Not sure if you're familiar, but in the last thread about SE's engine troubles, info came out that Luminous wasn't actually good at being a game engine. It excelled at cinematics, but none of the actual stuff that makes a game engine "efficient" at its job.

HeelPower

Namco is using UE4 for Tekken 7 and IIRC harada stated that traditionally they develop their in house engine for the Tekken series.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using UE4 in this case.They are just saving themselves a lot of hassle.

SE does.

They are using luminous tech(or variants of it) with FFXV as reported by Tabata.

They will make a flagship game and its sequels with in-house tech.That's enough of a success.

They spent years and a lot of workforce to create an engine only for one game, and maybe it's potential sequels?

Sounds like a waste to me.

Given that SE's proprietary engine development has been a fucking trainwreck for a full decade now, this can only be a good thing. But still... goddamn.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hope this means something for their PC support.

Writing custom engines per game(s) is a pretty outdated method now. It's one reason why Japan really lagged behind last gen compared to Western developers. See: the huge mess called Crystal Tools (FFXIII)

But that's what crystal tools and Luminous were intended specifically to fix! They were supposed to be used like MT framework, or frostbite, a multipurpose engine to use throughout the company. Instead they made the nonsensical decision to make the engine as they were developing the first game using it, therefore restricting the engine only to the needs of that particular game.

Luminous only focused on making CG like cut-scenes and nothing else and again, it was a failure. They just did not know how to make literally anything.

duckroll

SE does.

It sounds like you don't understand the economics and reality behind the benefits of in-house technology. No one can really look at what Square Enix has done with any of their in-house tech in the last decade and say it was a success. It can be a mitigation of failure, but not a success. It's absolutely a waste of money and resources.

neptunes

I wouldn't know about 'at least two unique FF iterations', but it's no secret that Japanese studios have traditionally (literally traditionally) never been as open to engines OR middleware as western devs, and it's shown with having an even harder time keeping up with ballooning dev costs this ps360 gen.

I know I was just hypothetically speaking, but imagine if SE didn't have to spend the past 8 years creating their own development engine when they could instead just focused on what makes the unique? The art and production values*

KoopaTheCasual

What's with all the pessmism? This is evidence that things are changing at Square Enix.

Their insistence on custom engines is probably part of their ridiculous development times.

Abandoning it reminds me of Sony abandoning Cell.... for the better.

Nomura's looking more and more like one of the weakest links in a pretty bad chain...
How is this his fault that their internal engine is shit?

Falk

that puzzling face
I know I was just hypothetically speaking, but imagine if SE didn't have to spend as nuch time and money into creating their own development engine and they could instead just focus on what makes the unique?

Replace 'SE' with 'basically any dev', really.

There's something to be said about being part of the arms race and not being beholden to another entity (licensing) as a matter of pride but at some point it all just boils down to reinventing the wheel.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Namco is using UE4 for Tekken 7 and IIRC harada stated that traditionally they develop their in house engine for the Tekken series.

I don't think there is anything wrong with using UE4 in this case.They are just saving themselves a lot of hassle.

This is true, and will probably cut off a lot of dev time and additional costs for the engine that won't proceed anywhere.

But hey, as long it's not UE3 for PS3 and it'll come out faster, the better.

Edit: Although I saw duckroll's point: it depends actually.

RE_Player

So they've been shoving this new engine down everyone's throat through multiple presentations and now they move development of one of their biggest games to Unreal 4. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Top Bottom