• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

smfh.
Unreal Engine? F*cking Unreal Engine 4?

Way to make Kingdom Hearts 3 look generic as f*ck. Just look at the Unreal titles, they all look generic as f*ck.

You had one job Square Enix, can't even get that right..

UE4 is NOTHING compared to UE3. Nothing generic in it and everyone can identify his own style when using it. Can you identify that Rime uses UE4?

iosefe

smfh.

Way to make Kingdom Hearts 3 look generic as f*ck. Just look at the Unreal titles, they all look generic as f*ck.

to look like the other popular games is practically a marketing ploy. one that S-E don't needs to use.

KH will definitely look KH

*EDIT* i didn't know RiME used UE4, and i'm blown away

smfh.

Yeah... I'm sure Killer is Dead, Guilty Gear Xrd, D4, The Last Remnant, RIME or Hat in Time looks so generic...
Seriously man, of course some titles had the stigma to look the same on UE3. But that's because of the devs.

Bazztek

Banned
Is XV still using Luminous?

According to Tabata yes.

"the Luminous development team has been integrated into the FFXV team, and it is progressing as a custom engine optimized for FFXV."

Seeing as they already switched from Luminous to UE4 for KH3, it's doubtful they would use Luminous for any other games after XV.

pottuvoi

Banned
WOAH Luminous is dead after XV basically.
Luminous had a tool chain for lighting, etc.
They can still use lot's of it with UE4 as one can replace any code IF they wish.

IMHO.
Excellent choice, they now have engine that allows fast prototyping, flexibility and great image quality.

DrZeus

Cryengine 3 am cry?
;)

If it gets it out sooner then so be it. Their engine might just have to be collateral damage.

sn00zer

smfh.

Before 2009 Id maybe agree with you, but your talking mostly poppy cock

Damerman

smfh.

hahaha... nice sarcasm you got there.. right? right?!

Snakeyes

Good news. After seeing what ASW has done with Xrd on UE3, I wouldn't mind if every third-party Japanese developer switched to UE4 going forward.

Ravage

Good news for KH3 as this is probably the only way the game will see the light of day given the incompetency of SE tech team.

However I guess this move also ended all chance of SE games looking a cut above the rest.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
smfh.

UE is a great engine with a diverse and flexible toolset, that is at the same time simple and easy to use. You can get results(IE good looking results) on the screen far easier and faster than any other engine out there.

UE3 has made excellent strides on its own since 2004, but UE4 is on a completely different level in terms of ease of use and accessibility and toolset. Whatever look the games come out with is based solely on what the devs/artists wanted to design visually.

Snakeyes

Good news for KH3 as this is probably the only way the game will see the light of day given the incompetency of SE tech team.

However I guess this move also ended all chance of SE games looking a cut above the rest.

Who gives a shit? Their obsession with cutting edge visuals is what got them into this mess in the first place.

soooo gears of war = kingdom hearts?

serious..i think the unreal engine has a specific kind of look that you can't just remove. and i personally do not like it.

That's not true, especially of UE4.

There's nothing stopping talented developers from making beautiful games on UE4.

Tain

Of course KH3 is.

Given how thoroughly UE4 rules, it is now way more interesting to me to learn why a given project isn't using UE4 than when it is.

smfh.

lol, whatever. Speaks to how many games you've played and what you know about an engine's role.

Mortemis

Banned
Who gives a shit? Their obsession with cutting edge visuals is what got them into this mess in the first place.

For real, I agree. I'm not looking toward KH3 to push graphics of all things, I want a great game that is pleasing to look at. Doesn't need to be the best out there at all.

bruh
Guilty-Gear-Xrd-Sign_2013_12-05-13_001.jpg
KH will be fine.

BONKERS

Wow, all that time and money wasted.

Now we will be stuck with Chromatic Aberration galore and silly UE4 problems and next to 0 chance of any kind of proper anti aliasing that doesn't induce ghosting, smearing and obscene blur. (Luminous has MSAA support which means SGSSAA is potentially possible. UE4 doesn't give a shit about that kind of stuff. Though it's certainly possible it could've improved lately. I'm not a UE4 subscriber, but every demo and game i've seen/played myself with my own eyes with it so far. It's not been great)

The problem with Unreal is, that too many stick to what is given to them. That's been UE's biggest problem since day 1. (Especially when a new version of the engine arrives)

Given though that Luminous is tailored to PBL and all that jazz, I suppose I could see that a problem with KH3, but I mean FFS, what they showed off didn't seem to look wrong in any way and looked really unique to boot.

iosefe

Now we will be stuck with Chromatic Aberration galore and silly UE4 problems and next to 0 chance of any kind of proper anti aliasing that doesn't induce ghosting, smearing and obscene blur.

you must have UE4 confused with UE3

paging PLASTICA-MAN with the explanation

BONKERS

you must have UE4 confused with UE3

paging PLASTICA-MAN with the explanation

No, CA is horribly abused and used in every scenario possible with UE4.
There is no hardware AA support built into the engine what so ever. Meaning HQ hardware based AA like SGSSAA is completely out the door unless someone wants to implement it into the engine.

Given how obscenely aliased UE4 raw is(And UE3 was the same way 9/10 times), it's no wonder their temporal AA is so blurry.(Far more blurry than even SGSSAA) Even by MY standards.

It resolves some temporal aliasing well. But there is a ton of temporal aliasing that it just completely misses and ignores.

Now we will be stuck with Chromatic Aberration galore and silly UE4 problems and next to 0 chance of any kind of proper anti aliasing that doesn't induce ghosting, smearing and obscene blur.

The only bad example of Chromatic Aberration in UE4 is DayLight and that can be corrected if you edit the config.ini (bad taste and choice of the devs with exaggerated doses numbers).
No, CA is horribly abused and used in every scenario possible with UE4.
There is no hardware AA support built into the engine what so ever. Meaning HQ hardware based AA like SGSSAA is completely out the door unless someone wants to implement it into the engine.

Given how obscenely aliased UE4 raw is(And UE3 was the same way 9/10 times), it's no wonder their temporal AA is so blurry.(Far more blurry than even SGSSAA) Even by MY standards.

It resolves some temporal aliasing well. But there is a ton of temporal aliasing that it just completely misses and ignores.

About Anti Aliasing, UE4 temporal AA is efficient even in motion, look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5cRnrMqWw&list=UUBobmJyzsJ6Ll7UbfhI4iwQ

Samaritan character (called Owen) staright from my UE4 editor: http://i.imgur.com/Lc78ypm.png?1 (he uses NVidia APEX cloth Physx btw) , look AA is fine. No jaggies at ALL.

Epic are so damn samrt to use AA to even create a technic of Anisotropic sahding effect: http://www.3drender.com/glossary/anisotropic.htm

http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/an-introduction-to-anisotropic-shading/#.VDN-8RZVLCY

I quote my previous comment in case you didn't see it:

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
SMAA is a better solution to start with performance wise -shrug-

And CA is disable-able if you so desire -shrug-

BONKERS

It took people years to get rid of the ultra generic UE3 look.

All I can hope for is that they don't get lazy as fuck as they did with TLR.

How do they? Most developers have their own internal engines these days, especially the big publishers. EA uses Frostbite for everything and Ubisoft has several internal engines, for example. The number of high profile UE4 projects is minimal. Epic isn't getting a repeat of last gen.

Squeenix is only using UE4 because they're an abject failure of a company.

You know what makes massively developed internal engines that aren't licensed possible? Annual franchises that sell 10-20 million units.

You're overreacting.

JordanN

Banned
smfh.

I never understood why people blamed the engine for a game looking generic.

ib2blW9tCAGGDJ.jpg

These 3 games are all built on different engines, yet they all still look the same. Art direction is what makes something generic, not tech.

iosefe

These 3 games are all built on different engines, yet they all still look the same. Art direction is what makes something generic, not tech.

and that is why im' so confident that KH will look like KH, and not like Random fantasy 23

Tain

Could someone fill me in with whats wrong?

literally nothing

Square is utilizing a massive, mature, and well-rounded toolkit to make a massive game.

People who have zero clue about this stuff are afraid that it will make the game look overly Western, as though Guilty Gear Xrd is anything less than the most anime-looking polygonal game ever.

zeromcd73

dream scenario:
2015: Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD releases, is as good as Type-0 HD
late 2016: KH 3 releases

or

2015: Dream Drop HD
2016: 1.5 + 2.5 + DDD collection for PS4/XBONE/PC
2017: KH 3 releases
I was thinking the same thing :D

Would love to have the entire KH collection on my PS4 in one case (except III).

Tain

SE going to crap, seems like they're making cheap and fast things to keep up with the new generation.

do you have any idea how complicated a modern versatile game engine is? how insanely huge of an undertaking making one is?

do you have any specific reasons as to why they shouldn't use UE4?

Top Bottom