• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

Oh, how long can trusty Gaffer Lnds hold out? How can he possibly resist the diabolical urge to click the spoiler that could ruin his very existence?

Will his tortured mind give in to its uncontrollable desires?

Can he withstand the temptation to click the spoiler that, even now, beckons him closer? Will he succumb to the maddening urge to spoil 0.2? At the MERE CLICK of a SINGLE SPOILER! The beeyootiful shiny spoiler! The jolly candy-like spoiler! Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out?

best episode

Not a secret boss at all. Part of the story

He found a secret mirror in the Snow White area during a replay and that triggered a boss rush. They're all harder to fight variants of the bosses and Copy Aqua is much more powerful. This guy has been spending like an hour trying to get pass three/seven health bars.

Prompto

Banned
0.2 spoilers:

I'm happy they're making visiting Olympus essential to the plot. I hope that's a sign Disney worlds will be important to the overall story again rather than feeling like filler.

He found a secret mirror in the Snow White area during a replay and that triggered a boss rush. They're all harder to fight variants of the bosses and Copy Aqua is much more powerful. This guy has been spending like an hour trying to get pass three/seven health bars.

Nice - hopefully there's some kind of
nice equipment drop and/or higher bonus level tier for beating it
0.2 spoilers:

I'm happy they're making visiting Olympus essential to the plot. I hope that's a sign Disney worlds will be important to the overall story again rather than feeling like filler.
I'm not holding my breath but it'd be lovely for that to be the case. This is still something KH1 did best, though BBS put in a reasonably admirable effort given the additional complexity it had to deal with.

Azerare

Only two things i want to know about 0.2...
Is that Luxu in the keyblade graveyard in 0.2 BBS opening (i also saw the starlight keyblade?) AND by the end of BBS 0.2 does my girl Aqua finally make it out of the realm of darkness?

Psxphile

Only two things i want to know about 0.2...
Is that Luxu in the keyblade graveyard in 0.2 BBS opening (i also saw the starlight keyblade?) AND by the end of BBS 0.2 does my girl Aqua finally make it out of the realm of darkness?

1)
Yeah, most likely. It should be noted in case it wasn't apparent is that what we're shown is the outcome of what transpired at the end of [chi].

2)
please understand

Awe, ya'll posting spoilers :<

I've been on GAF for three years, and am now realising that this is the first time that a new KH game is being spoiled in threads.

Must. Not. Look.

Looking at streams of 0.2, it looks like bosses actually have KH2 style revenge values again?

That's actually really great news, at least as far as boss design is concerned.

JTripper

https://www.exophase.com/game/kingdom-hearts-dream-drop-distance-ps4/trophies/

https://www.exophase.com/game/kingdom-hearts-0-2-birth-by-sleep-a-fragmentary-passage-ps4/trophies/

Poor 0.2 got Ground Zeroes'd and doesn't have a platinum.

Also seems to confirm we're getting something missing from the original Dream Drop Distance
Xemnas/SoD boss portals

Hmm no difficulty trophies for DDD. Could they all be earned in a single playthrough on standard or proud then?

aravuus

Spoiler tags in a KH thread I shouldn't click cause they're actual spoilers to me

What a weird feeling

Maybe I'll unsub this thread for now, cause I'm planning on playing the PS4 remakes first, so 0.2 will have to wait.

The thumbnail hell has already begun even when I have made sure not to click on KH related youtube videos lately.

While not what I'd consider a huuuuuge spoiler I saw
SDG on what I assume was Gummi Ship cockpit
on a video titled something akin to ''2.8 ending!''.

So once again I want to thank Square Enix for this 2 week delay what I'm sure was put in place to boost sales a thousandfold for reasons I will never understand. And of course special thanks to all youtubers who upload these videos without changing the thumbnail!

Lnds500

The thumbnail hell has already begun even when I have made sure not to click on KH related youtube videos lately.

While not what I'd consider a huuuuuge spoiler I saw
SDG on what I assume was Gummi Ship cockpit
on a video titled something akin to ''2.8 ending!''.

So once again I want to thank Square Enix for this 2 week delay what I'm sure was put in place to boost sales a thousandfold for reasons I will never understand. And of course special thanks to all youtubers who upload these videos without changing the thumbnail!

Yeah the delay is terrible. And what's even worse is that some of us have ordered it online and we won't be getting it on release day.

Everything will be a minefield after the 24th.. :(

Read up a bit to learn about revenge values and: I really wish KH2FM's higher difficulty levels had Revenge kick in much faster. The Sephiroth boss fight would be waaaaay more intense and fun. I suppose it'd make Combo Plus a shittier ability and Combo Minus actually too good, though.

Read up a bit to learn about revenge values and: I really wish KH2FM's higher difficulty levels had Revenge kick in much faster. The Sephiroth boss fight would be waaaaay more intense and fun. I suppose it'd make Combo Plus a shittier ability and Combo Minus actually too good, though.

That would make Level 1 runs even more daunting, though. Some of the most optimal (and in some cases, fairest) strategies for bosses revolve around manipulating the fact that certain attacks don't add to revenge. For example, the combo hits (but not the finisher) of Final Form Firaga don't actually add to revenge, so it's possible to loop a few bosses doing that (You do have to make sure the very last hit is from the keyblade(s) and not the fire; the keyblade will stagger them and make it possible to reset the Firaga chain)

It'd kinda mess with the tempo of KH2FM's Critical Mode too, it'd really only serve to make battles a bit longer.

Aizo

Banned
Wow. I had so much trouble with that final boss in 0.2 on Proud last night, but I beat the boss all right tonight after drinking lots of whiskey and rum. Maybe the update helped, too?

Malyse

tumblr_inline_ojombixdlM1s015ja_1280.png

Well shit. Riku is a girl now.

Prologue
Kingdom Hearts is the story of Sora, a 14-year-old boy whose world is shattered when a violent storm hits his island paradise home and is separated from his two closest friends, Riku, a 15-year-old [boy, and Kairi, a 14-year-old] girl. The storm scatters the three to different and unknown worlds.

[At the same time, there’s turmoil in Disney castle. King Mickey is missing, and Court Wizard Donald and Captain Goofy set out to find him.]

On their travels they meet Sora on his own search for his lost friends.

Bold parts are omitted

Tsunamo

That (DDD Spoilers if folks are coming in without having played it)
Young Master Xehanort
battle is such a rush in 60fps, Seven shall be pleased. I loved it. Makes me super hyped to battle Lingering Will in 60fps in March.

I'm super curious to see if the Osaka team's take on mostly-KH2-style combat feels like they have finally mastered enemy/combat design to the extent seen in KH2FM.

That (DDD Spoilers if folks are coming in without having played it)
Young Master Xehanort
battle is such a rush in 60fps, Seven shall be pleased. I loved it. Makes me super hyped to battle Lingering Will in 60fps in March.

Haha, good to hear. I just loaded up the game myself.

Some quick spoiler-free impressions for DDD and 0.2:

- 0.2 actually runs with an unlocked framerate on the Pro. Not sure if it's 60, but it's definitely higher than 30. Definitely a nice surprise. I don't have a 4K TV though, so I'm not sure what resolution it's outputting/upscaling to. I wonder if they'll target the same thing for KHIII.

- Kinda bummed out that you can't shuffle commands with the shoulder buttons anymore, ala BBS HD.

- God damn DDD looks sexy in 60fps. Can't wait for 1.5 + 2.5

- DDD cutscenes are 30, but I guess they didn't want to run the risk of breaking something and having to rework all of the cutscenes to make sure nothing else breaks. That said, switching back and forth from seeing 30 and 60 isn't as jarring as I thought, but YMMV.

I'm super curious to see if the Osaka team's take on mostly-KH2-style combat feels like they have finally mastered enemy/combat design to the extent seen in KH2FM.

One BBS/DDD specific quirk I still notice has been retained is Aqua homing in on an enemy when you attack while locked on, as opposed to the empty swing Sora would do in the same situation in KH2.

Also, it seems Aerial Recovery is still the BBS/DDD version, where you're locked in place after doing it, at opposed to KH2, where you can control your momentum out of it.

zeemumu

Kairi is a template for several other characters who have more power over the plot than she does. Her importance to the plot was more or less eliminated after KH1 and she was able to become an actual character who didn't need to rely on being a plot device to be interesting down the line and we'll see the culmination of that once she completes her training in KH3.

Aizo

Banned
Also, it seems Aerial Recovery is still the BBS/DDD version, where you're locked in place after doing it, at opposed to KH2, where you can control your momentum out of it.
I really don't like how it feels. Probably the didn't help me trying to dodge one of 0.2's final bosses. It feels robotic. Hope that's not in KH3.

Kairi is a template for several other characters who have more power over the plot than she does. Her importance to the plot was more or less eliminated after KH1 and she was able to become an actual character who didn't need to rely on being a plot device to be interesting down the line and we'll see the culmination of that once she completes her training in KH3.
Yes and no. She's a Princess of Heart *and* a keyblade wielder. Theoretically that should make her like a wildly powered-up version of Ventus when she's well-trained, and it definitely makes her central to KH3's prospective plot.

JTripper

Do you unlock anything by watching Back Cover, like when you'd unlock PS3 themes by watching Re:Coded or 358 in the other remaster collections?

Tsunamo

Do you unlock anything by watching Back Cover, like when you'd unlock PS3 themes by watching Re:Coded or 358 in the other remaster collections?
Yeah you unlock themes for completing them like with 1.5 and 2.5

The Backcover theme is the unchained title screen artwork, which is super neat.
- Kinda bummed out that you can't shuffle commands with the shoulder buttons anymore, ala BBS HD.

- God damn DDD looks sexy in 60fps. Can't wait for 1.5 + 2.5
Yeah this along with most of the touch stuff in the 3DS version being mapped to triangle and circle really screwed me over in HD. It takes so long to adjust to the new controls.

And yeah i'm so hyped to play the rest of the series in 60fps. It's so smooth.

Tsunamo

At the risk of Premature in saying so given 0.2's only a small dose i'd say they've done an incredible job. I'm not sure if 3 will matchup to KH2 Final Mix when it comesout, but they've got that style of play down with a mix of their own stuff/touch (shotlocks)

It feels much differently designed than DDD and Birth By Sleep did and more structured like 2 Final Mix was in in terms of gameplay and it's extremely welcome. I now trust the Osaka team to do a great job with 3. (just gotta hope it doesn't take forever to comeout)

Edit: I really need to stop double posting. My bad again.

So those who have the game already is there some sort of secret ending or something akin to that and if so what do you need to do to obtain it?

If the answer is a spoiler obviously don't answer.

raven777

I still haven't started on DDD or watched back cover... still playing 0.2. Trying to do all the objectives and some of them are hard....

Tsunamo

Is there a translation for some of them anywhere? I only finished up about a quarter of them by the time I finished up the game.

Top Bottom